[Q] Galaxy S3 LTE i9305 Battery drain (Even in Airplane mode)

Search This thread

Lilmanio

Mar 2, 2014
Paris
Hello,

I've searched the forums about battery drain problems regarding android phones in airplane mode but each subjects seemed different to mine.

I own a Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE i9305 under Android 4.3.
The phone is rooted, Greenify installed, hoping saving battery life but...
I've tried to do a full data reset + reinstallation of Android 4.3 official, with no success.

I've done the folowing experience 3 times with the following similar behaviour as last time :
- Phone fully charged before to go to bed, Airplane mode activated.
7 hours later :
- Battery is at 80%
- 0 minute in deep sleep, all the time in awake state.

Several behaviours noted by Wakelock detector and Gsam Battery Monitor :
- Device Idle and androidOS consumed 80% of the 20% used
- Misc processes seem to have used a lot of battery among them :
- AlarmManager
- PowerManagerService.WakeLocks
- KeyEvents

I'm including screenshots to illustrate all this.

If anyone has been thru this problem I'd be glad to know how to solve it.
Thank you !

Emmanuel

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-02-10-59-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-10-59-05.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,095
  • Screenshot_2014-03-02-11-00-16.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-11-00-16.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Screenshot_2014-03-02-11-09-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-11-09-49.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 966
  • Screenshot_2014-03-02-11-00-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-03-02-11-00-40.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 799

shucrut

Aug 27, 2012
Hello,

I've searched the forums about battery drain problems regarding android phones in airplane mode but each subjects seemed different to mine.

I've tried to do a full data reset + reinstallation of Android 4.3 official, with no success.

I've done the folowing experience 3 times with the following similar behaviour as last time :
7 hours later :
- Battery is at 80%

- AlarmManager
- KeyEvents

Thank you !

Emmanuel

Hi,

I do not have the exact same problem, but my phone drains battery more than often. With wifi, mobile data etc turned off, i have ~10% of drain overnight (7~8 hours). But my phone does enter in deep sleep and battery stats shows me nothing weird (most of battery is being taken from phone iddle /standby cell), it is driving me nuts! My wife have the same phone as mine, same firmware, same system apps, the only diference is mine have the new bootloader, but her phone drains almost half than mine. I'm now reinstalling the firmware with the exact same steps i did in her phone and if someone want i post some screenshots later.

Did you tried installing some custom roms out here who have not all the system apps the original package have?

Bautinho88

Jan 16, 2014
Bottrop
Hello,

7 hours later :
- Battery is at 80%

- AlarmManager
- KeyEvents

Thank you !

Emmanuel
I am using 4.3 Alliance Rom with boeffla kernel. I had the same problem with battery drain during airplane mode. While I was at work with airplane mode on, I lost nearly 20% in one hour. Because of it I switched to 4.4.2 aosp rom "aosb 1.3.0. Probam" (meanwhile there is 1.3.2 published) but there I had music stuttering and camera issues, but perfect battery life. Because of the problems I decided to go back to 4.3 and gave Alliance Rom another chance. And now the battery life is wonderful like on 4.4.2.

Maybe try the same way, first to update on an aosp rom with excellent battery life and then go back to android 4.3. Maybe this will solve your problem, too. :)

woodman

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2012
🌲 France
OnePlus 7T
Hello,

7 hours later :
- Battery is at 80%

- AlarmManager
- KeyEvents

Thank you !

Emmanuel

Hi,

By any chance, do you have XPOSED framework enabled and do you use for example Wanam Xposed module ? If an option like "Turn on screen when unplugged" is unchecked (ie if you don't want your phone to wake up after you unplug it from USB), you may encounter battery drain. It seems that sometimes the phone doesn't enter in deep sleep if the USB cable is unplugged from a PC in this case. I have this kind of battery drain and since I've checked "Turn on screen when unplugged" option, no more battery drain after a reboot.

I'm not sure but you must give it a try as it worked for me. No problem so far.... I hope it will help.

Lilmanio

Mar 2, 2014
Paris
Hi and thank you all,

I'm taking good note of your advices.

I did install Xposed and Wanam. I didn't pay attention to this option and since then completly reinstalled 4.3 official ROM. Battery drain vanished.
I now have the phone going to deep sleep normaly.
I've been reinstalling all my apps slowly one after the other, and didn't try yet to reinstall Wanam Xposed, as I know it modifies the system relatively deeply.
But the envy is here and I think I'll install it again. Ok, let's go, I'll do it tonight. I'll pay attention to "Turn on screen when unplugged" option and will ensure it is checked !

It's worth trying, though all these battery draining problems seem mysterious...
I'll post a reply in a few days with the results...

By the way, I installed Agni kernel wich uses Boeffla engine too. After activating "Extreme battery save" mode, the battery life has doubled or so. I'm happy about this.

Thank you again, and let's see how xposed wanam behaves...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi and thank you all,

I'm taking good note of your advices.

I did install Xposed and Wanam. I didn't pay attention to this option and since then completly reinstalled 4.3 official ROM. Battery drain vanished.
    I now have the phone going to deep sleep normaly.
    I've been reinstalling all my apps slowly one after the other, and didn't try yet to reinstall Wanam Xposed, as I know it modifies the system relatively deeply.
    But the envy is here and I think I'll install it again. Ok, let's go, I'll do it tonight. I'll pay attention to "Turn on screen when unplugged" option and will ensure it is checked !

It's worth trying, though all these battery draining problems seem mysterious...
    I'll post a reply in a few days with the results...

By the way, I installed Agni kernel wich uses Boeffla engine too. After activating "Extreme battery save" mode, the battery life has doubled or so. I'm happy about this.

Thank you again, and let's see how xposed wanam behaves...