[APP] X-Link - Zero Setup File Transfer

Search This thread
Mar 3, 2011
i really do not have knowledge about the Multicast thing, but my Wifi Signal is good. And i used SAMBA and other wifi file sharing apps and they all worked using the same wifi.

And clicked RELOAD many times but i cant see any device in the popdown menu..

Mine didn't get detected right away either. I left the PC client open, as well as the phone app. Then I accessed my routers setup through my web browser, just looking for some options for multicast, and I noticed that the PC client had my phone in the list. I don't know if it just needed some time, or if it was from accessing the routers settings, but give that a shot.

I'm running a linkysys E4200, win 7 ultimate x64, and an HTC inspire running AR 7.0.2.

The router may have multicast disabled also. Google your router for it.

Theonewithideas

Oct 21, 2011
PC doesn't detect the phone.

XP Professional 32bit

Huawei HG530 (router)

Xperia Mini (stock Gingerbread ROM)

Firewall poped-up and I pressed "Unblock"

Last edited:

Yardglass

Jul 29, 2010
For does of you having problems seeing other devices.
You can do the following test.

Run the PC client from console: java -jar XLinkClient.jar
Then try to detect you PC from the Android device.

You should see an output similar to this on the console:
Connecting: 192.168.0.198/4500

If an Exception occurs there was a problem when connecting back to the Android device.
If no output is visible, it's likely that multicasts are not working within your network.

I'm using an Xperia Arc S on Win 7 64 bit and I can't see the phone. I did the above, and it started another session of X-Link:

Connecting: 192.168.2.2/4502

I've got a modem/router going through another router though (wireless on the second router). Is there anything I can do to check if multicasts are working?

anti-s

Sep 13, 2010
Problems...

This is a great concept, but it's not working for me.

Computer: Running Ubuntu 11, Xfce, Latest Java from SUN
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S I9000 (CM9-ICS)

* Phone Application installed OK, running
* Computer Application installed OK, runs ok with 'java -jar <file>'
* Device detection does not work. I've tried to many things to even list...
- I'm getting 'Connecting: 10.0.0.106/4501' in the console output
* Dragging files from Xfce's Thunar (File Manager) into Client does nothing (maybe because there is no connection)

beltsnspoons

Jul 28, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
This is a great concept, but it's not working for me.

Computer: Running Ubuntu 11, Xfce, Latest Java from SUN
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S I9000 (CM9-ICS)

* Phone Application installed OK, running
* Computer Application installed OK, runs ok with 'java -jar <file>'
* Device detection does not work. I've tried to many things to even list...
- I'm getting 'Connecting: 10.0.0.106/4501' in the console output
* Dragging files from Xfce's Thunar (File Manager) into Client does nothing (maybe because there is no connection)

do you think the problem might be cm9/ics? im afraid to even bother installing it because so many apps arent compatible with cm9 yet. looks like a great concept, and something i would definitely be interested in, espicially since i spend so much time copying files across multiple devices. if it works well i would even suggest it to alot of my clients. maybe when i get home from philly and recover from the shamrock shuttle hangover, ill give it a try. but if anyone knows of any combatability issues with cm9, let us know!

joschi70

Aug 10, 2010
www.fun2code.de
Could those of you getting Force Closes please send me the logcat after the crash to the following address:
xlink [at] fun2code.de

To send files from your Android device to the PC use the Android share functionality.
X-Link shoud appear in the selection list after selecting the share option.
This should work inside the gallery and most file managers.

androidcues

Mar 6, 2010
Boston
Windows 8 64bit

First I tried my HTC Vision (CM7.2)....rather than try something easy, I started off by trying to move a nandroid file with 6 different IMG's inside that folder and it did not work. I didnt expect that to -- I zipped the nandroid folder and then it worked -- so for me the file must be one single unit.

While waiting for the nandroid to pass over to the Vision I got it going on my HTC Dream (SuperF) and tried to provoke multiple instances of the program -- it would not let me -- So after the Vision was done I transferred a zipped Bart backup to the Dream.

Then I tried my Kindle Fire running CM9 hashcode and it would the laptop would not see the Fire at all nor could the Dream or Vision see the Fire or vice versa. Fire was shut out. and it was on the same wifi network. However the Dream and Vision when they get connected, theres a popup advertisement that appears to indicate a connection -- I never saw that advertisement on the Kindle Fire. Perhaps its hardware accelleration issue? Well, that was neat --- and definitely a needed tool,

I suggest making this as promiscuous as possible and to allow for multiple instances to occur at once. (This app does not need explanation or any video tutorials, its about as simple as going potty.)

Attachments

• screenshot-1330814303146.jpg
    screenshot-1330814303146.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 99

sParkSnare

Feb 1, 2011
Very cool!

Works great between WinXP and EVO 4G (running Legacy Classic), WinXP and DroidX (stock), OpenSUSE and EVO 4G, OpenSUSE and DroidX, Win7 and EVO 4G, and Win7 and DroidX.

However, I can't figure out how to get the EVO 4G and DroidX to search for/recognize one another. Other than the on/off switch, there doesn't seem to be any other setting. I'm sure I'm missing something, but what?

errandum

Jan 13, 2011
Ok...

It worked ok for single file (300 mb or so), but if I try to drag a folder i get a standard "an upload error occured". Kind of bums me out because I wanted to use this to transfer a large quantity of mp3's in their respective folders and it didn't.

It's a good idea, but with limited and occasional usability.

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
Great app...very similar to Wifi File Transfer in the market, except yours is more polished.

And for those who don't know, it works between PCs on the same wifi network as well....not just between phone and PC.

Darnell_Chat_TN

Nov 29, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
Google Pixel 4 XL
Could those of you getting Force Closes please send me the logcat after the crash to the following address:
xlink [at] fun2code.de

Logcat sent. Mine also does a FC the moment I attempt to start it.

I’m running a T-Mobile (USA) HTC Sensation 4G with EnergyROM Feb 29 release, ICS 4.0.3, Sense 3.6, 3.32 Framework, stock Kernel.

Since I noticed someone else with a Sensation running an ICS build is also having issues, I guess it's common for us.

For anyone who needs to know how to do a logcat dump, read here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The app I would like to present is called X-Link and is intended to make file transfers between devices (Android or PC) easy.

It's using multicasts to find other clients within the same WiFi network.
    So no setup ist needed.

In addition to the Android app there is also a Java based PC client available.
    This client has been tested on Linux and Windows but might work on other configurations.

The full description and a short video can be found on the Android Market page:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=de.fun2code.android.xlink

You can not only transfer files between PC and Android but also between Android devices.

This is beta software, so there are still bugs.
    Please report them in this thread. I'll have a look as soon as I find time and will contact some of you to get things fixed.

There are surely some timing (and timeout) problems which need some attention.
    Make sure your router supports multicasts.

Please post comments, I'll try to read them all :)

Link to PC client
    http://www.fun2code.de/downloads/xlink/XLinkClient.jar

Copying of directories
    Supported since 0.8.4 beta.

Testing and how you can help

Multicast test
    To test if your network is able to deal with multicast messages you can do the following test:

1. Download the file MulticastSender.jar and MulticastReceiver.jar.
    2. On one PC start the MulticastSender.jar and on another the MulticastReceiver.jar.

The sender sends screenshots. If you see the screenshots on the receiver's side, multicasts are working for you.
    If not, X-Link will not work.

If this works but X-Link doesn't it's likely that there is a problem concerning timeouts within X-Link.
    In this case, please send me a mail (xlink [at] fun2code.de).

If sharing on Android does not work
    Sharing does not seem to be working in some apps.

If you encounter such a problem, please download the app XLinkDebug.apk and install it.
    Use sharing as you normally would with X-Link but select X-Link Debug instead.
    On execution the app will copy the information needed for me to fix the issue to the clipboard.

Please paste the clipboard into a mail ans send it to the following address: xlink [at] fun2code.de
    Thanks to all of you for testing!

The X-Link app has to be active on the Android device to be visible to others and for the transfer to work.
    If you close the app during data transfer, the transfer will break.

I'm glad that it worked for some of you. I'll do some debugging next week.
    Hope things will improve...
    For does of you having problems seeing other devices.
    You can do the following test.

Run the PC client from console: java -jar XLinkClient.jar
    Then try to detect you PC from the Android device.

You should see an output similar to this on the console:
    Connecting: 192.168.0.198/4500

If an Exception occurs there was a problem when connecting back to the Android device.
    If no output is visible, it's likely that multicasts are not working within your network.
    How does one send files from phone to PC? It does need some authentication things like previously stated.

With X-Link on/running on both phone and PC, just share a file from your phone (via whatever file manager you use).
    Copying of folders is not supported at the moment.
    There are some things that need to be fixed first (stable detection etc.).
    It's on the list, but might take a while.