[Q] Rooting question (MK2)

Search This thread

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
I updated to MK2 as soon as it was offered to me not knowing about KNOX at the time. I have been patiently waiting but I still don't know if a solution is available for me. Has a solution been found to root MK2 without tripping KNOX flag? And will this same process work on whatever the pending update I have on my device now to what I assume is 4.4. We also have a S4 back on the version prior to MK2 which we haven't been forced to update. That one being the more critical need of root.

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
I updated to MK2 as soon as it was offered to me not knowing about KNOX at the time. I have been patiently waiting but I still don't know if a solution is available for me. Has a solution been found to root MK2 without tripping KNOX flag? And will this same process work on whatever the pending update I have on my device now to what I assume is 4.4. We also have a S4 back on the version prior to MK2 which we haven't been forced to update. That one being the more critical need of root.

First off, the Knox bootloader came with the MJA software so you already have it on both phones. Secondly, you should just take the update to 4.4 since there is no way to reset the knox warranty bit on any version. If you want to root your phone just do it. If you are that concerned about rooting than don't. The knox warranty flag has no affect on your phone usage unless you are going to send your phone into samsung for a warranty repair. Does you phone work 100% right now? If it does, then you won't have a warranty issue in the future. If you break your phone than it isn't a warranty fix it is an insurance fix. If you mess up your phone by rooting, than too bad for you, it shouldn't be samsung's problem to fix your phone if you tampered with it.

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
First off, the Knox bootloader came with the MJA software so you already have it on both phones. Secondly, you should just take the update to 4.4 since there is no way to reset the knox warranty bit on any version. If you want to root your phone just do it. If you are that concerned about rooting than don't. The knox warranty flag has no affect on your phone usage unless you are going to send your phone into samsung for a warranty repair. Does you phone work 100% right now? If it does, then you won't have a warranty issue in the future. If you break your phone than it isn't a warranty fix it is an insurance fix. If you mess up your phone by rooting, than too bad for you, it shouldn't be samsung's problem to fix your phone if you tampered with it.

Ah well the other one is the one before MJA then. I must have done two updates on mine. Back when I updated and got knox in the first place someone told me they were in progress on a way to root without trigger knox so I thought by now there would be a way to do so or revert back to before knox and update without knox and root. As far as I understand if one had to flash the stock ROM it doesn't trip the counter so I assume it possible to go back to the before knox version and no longer have knox. However in my brief look around I didn't see any info on that.

Keeping in mind that I would not do a warranty exchange if I broke the phone from the software side due to rooting, which is something fixable anyways with a flash back to stock.. However at the same time something completely unrelated to having rooted I don't want either warranty or insurance to say we won't replace it because you had rooted. Which is my main concern due to the price of these phones. I've rooted and even flashed customs ROMs probably 100 times to date without issue. So I don't expect to have issues rooting again.