Galaxy K Zoom tips&tricks thread.

Search This thread

lacmac

Oct 22, 2008
IPOH
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Yeah definitely not a good move.

To fix that you need to edit the /etc/permissions/platform.xml file and add external card writing permission to the media_rw group.
That way all apps can write anywhere to it.

or just replace it with this one:
http://downloads.timduru.org/android/kzoom/misc/platform.xml

then reboot.

How to replace it if my phone isnt rooted? I have tried root explorer and several other fike explorers but they say i need to be rooted.

Kri$

Feb 29, 2012
Wrocław
With the help of fundamental @Albe95 (http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=5403589 ). I was able to enable the multi-window of GalaxyS5 on Galaxy K Zoom.
It works !!!
Screenshot_2014-11-08-23-50-21.png

Screenshot_2014-11-08-23-56-10.png

Screenshot_2014-11-08-23-56-21.png

Screenshot_2014-11-09-00-27-22.png

ps. i'm looking for app similar to "my places" widget from note 4.
does albe95 did it?
I mean this app below
note4_my_places_widget.jpg

Last edited:

saurabhsaurabhrai

Apr 4, 2013
Picture With Blurred Background....!!

Hey guys...Any mod or cam soft for K Zoom via which I can click pictures with blurred background...Thanks :):confused::good::D

pakisan

Jan 30, 2012
S4 zoom permetteva il cambio focus con la ghiera, cerco un app che permetta questa cosa via software

S4 zoom allows the change with the rotation of the focus ring, seeking a app that allows this thing through software

dflopes

Aug 29, 2008
Belem
following the thread because that excellent tips.
And I can't access the cam using shortcut - I never press the buttons at same time.

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
the shortcut is indeed a bit tricky.
the focus button(camera button halfway) throws the timing off a bit.
it works best for me if i hold the camera button halfway first, and then press volume+ as i press the camera button the rest of the way.

i no longer use this method though.

i now have a tasker profile that makes it easier.
if i hold my phone in standard landscape position on the homescreen within 0.75 seconds of turning my screen on it will launch the camera app.
the 0.75 second(750ms) delay is to give my phone some time to figure out its orientation.

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Don't use camera in Auto mode.

Instead use program mode, set ISO to auto. In options set the phone up to remember previous setting so it returns back to program mode. This is more flexible as you can adjust exp comp, not possible to adjust exp comp with auto.

Use bracketing for night shots when trying to figure out what the right exposure should be. Use bracketing as often as possible.

Another tip is check out the program Hugin

Stiches any number of photos into a panorama and is quite easy to use in 'Assistant' mode. Load images, click align, click create panorama. done!

Remember to set ISO to whatever is appropriate and do the same with WB so it does not fluctuate. You could set the shutter as well but it isn't essential if the scene. Overlap can be anywhere from 20% and above.

K can't do vertical panoramas or any panoramas with zoom. No more panoramas made with 1080p video and default cylindrcial projection, when you can use rectilinear projections that preserve straight lines both in horizontal as well as vertical.

Optical zoom allows for more photos to be stitched and results in better details at 100% something that isn't possible with a fixed focal length cameras.

Managed to get usable panos handheld !!

Last edited:

KashCorp

Feb 9, 2015

To fix that you need to edit the /etc/permissions/platform.xml file and add external card writing permission to the media_rw group.

htt

then reboot.

Hey Timduru,

Should I set particular permission to the file?

Does any of you can upload the original platform.xml files? I tried this to solve my SD card problem, but seems this file makes lots of my app crashes. Very not usefull. I have an European Galaxy K Zoom. Maybe it's relevant to precise.

Thank you.

PS: I fixed the permission after sweating a bit and do a factory reset. But I still canno't save picture on my SD card.

Last edited:

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
this is mine.
it works fine for me, and should include sdcard r/w.

permissions are 0644 (read permission for all, write permission for owner(root), no exec for owner(root), and no exec or write permission for group(root) and global)

make sure you remove the .txt part before you use it.

Attachments

• platform.xml.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 51

annukman

Jan 12, 2012
K Zooom.

Had been using this phone 4 about 4 months. So far so good. Rooted > change a few system files > bricked (stuck at black screen after boot logo) > downloaded the stock rom > flash via odin > fixed > root again. hehe. enjoying. So here are few apps that wont brick your phone and definitely give more ZOOOOOM to your K zoom :-

1) GMD geture control - there are a few good gestures that will enhance your user experience
2) system app remover - get rid of bloatwares and make your phone even faster
3) Wanam Xposed - some cosmetics for your phone
4) Xposed Installler (http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer) - more cosmetics
5) adaway (https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway) - block ads

*the ones i have not provided links can be downloaded from playstore

As for my launchers, locksreen and widgets i am using Go launcher, go locker and go widgets (free version) by far better then Samsung's launcher and is also cleaner and faster.
Anyway i am loving my phone more now. However i have tried a few apps for boot animation but it just failed. Don't wanna take any risks via file system changer method to try and change my boot animation as my phone had already half bricked once. If anyone has a good boot animation changer method do share and thanks in advance.

Stock rom links - C115 (http://www.mrcrab.net/stockrom/sm-c115.html)
- C111 (http://www.mrcrab.net/stockrom/sm-c111.html)

like everyone i am also hoping that k zoom gets a thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: One Twelve

pakisan

Jan 30, 2012
How can achieve the effect blurry background with our camera in fashions M?

Inviato dal mio SM-C115 utilizzando Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

How can achieve the effect blurry background with our camera in mode M?

hartiberlin

Sep 10, 2005
Hi,
I have a Samsung Galaxy K Zoom and have started to film movies with it in 1080p 60 Hz as Youtube now also supports this.
The only problem I have now is, that the recording time is now only 10 minutes and then the recording stops...
The file size for such a 1080p60Hz movie is around 2 GBytes. Is there a limitation that this Samsung Galaxy K Zoom can only
record 2 GB File sizes ?
Is there a trick to avoid this limit ?
Also I have bought the Full Version of the APP "A better camera" and it also have a brightness controll before recording, so in low light conditions
you still can get decent videos, so they are not anymore too dark... The only problem is, that the videos are recorded to the internal memory and not to the
SD card.. I heard that this is a problem wiith the Android 4.4.2 system I still have. Can rooting of the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom fix this problem ? How can I root my device ?
Okay, here are a few examples of my recent 1080p60Hz recording:
https://www.youtube.com/user/hartiberlin/videos
Here is a video, where I just hit the limit of 10 minutes shortly before the song ended.. damn...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOT-wUCEBLE

tomasso32

Nov 7, 2011
Sydney
Camera opens when inbound call or SMS

This K-Zoom opens the camera and flashes the xenon when calls or sms come in. Does anyone know a fix? Tom. [kitkat 4.4.2, rooted]

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 AM ----------

This K-Zoom opens the camera and flashes the xenon when calls or sms come in. Does anyone know a fix? Tom. [kitkat 4.4.2, rooted]

Solved. It was some settings for a Call Name Announcer App {"Call Name Announcer, Flash on call and SMS"}.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    for now there's no dedicated Kzoom forum so this will have to do.
    I'd like to start a thread where we can discuss ways we can get the most out of our rootless camera phones.
    the discussed tips and tricks are for the Galaxy K Zoom, but some can be usable on other devices too.

[Memory card madness] applies to all kitkat devices with memory cards but no root.
    kitkat has severely limited the micro SD access we have on our phones, our phone even blocks all workarounds.
    here are some tricks to make it usable:

I recommend using FX file explorer with pro plugin, and Samsung's "my files" app to manage files.
    set "my files" to show hidden files, and delete the .nomedia file in /Android/data/ on your memory card
    in FX create a new .nomedia file in /Android/data/nextapp.fx/files on your sdcard which you can copy to data folders if you ever find game resources in your gallery app, or app/game sounds among your music.(you need to use "my files" to copy it)
    now create a new folder on your sdcard /Android/data/nextapp.fx/SDfiles and create a bookmark/shortcut to this in both file managers, this will be your personal folder which you can use for movies, music, wallpapers, etc.
    if there are any images, videos, or music files that don't show up in the media apps you can use the rescan media button on this folder in FX.
    in "my files" you should also bookmark /Android/data so you can easily find sdcard folders specific apps have access to.

if you want to sync or edit files with an app you'll need to go through a few steps.
    use the apps view in FX to find the internal name of the app that needs access to the file/folder, this is usually something like this: com.developername.appname
    use "my files" to locate(or if necessary, create) a folder with that name on your sdcard at /Android/data
    now use "my files" to move any files you need to access with the app to that folder, and tell the app to look there for files.(this is not needed if the app uses the media database)
    using this method I got dropsync to sync my music to my memorycard, and let gameboid run and save gba games on my memorycard.

edit: a little warning, if you move an app to the sdcard it no longer has access to it's own sdcard data folder anymore.

[tripod? nopod!] applies to all phones(except S4 zoom)
    you may have noticed the Kzoom has a very sleek design for a camera phone.
    this is nice for a phone, but leaves little space for a tripod mount.

luckily there's a universal solution: smartphone tripod mounts.
    several sites, sell carkit-like phone holders that have a tripod mount.
    using one of these you can still use a tripod with your Kzoom, although most of these holders will block the flash or part of the screen.
    I use the iStabilizer Mount XL.
    it's a perfect fit, and it's open at the center so you can still make use of the flash.

[screen on, screen off] applies to all samsung phones
    samsung makes a lot of assumptions.
    like "if you plug something in, you must want the screen on"
    but you shouldn't just assume.
    if I plug in my headset i'll use my pebble or headset button to start the music, and I don't want to pull my phone out of my pocket for this.
    using tasker I created a set of profiles that let you disable several automatic wakes.
    unfortunately I can't prevent the wake, but these profiles will put your phone asleep the moment the screen turns on without your consent.
    the profiles include:
    Autowake blocker core - the part that does the blocking, don't disable this unless you want to disable the entire Autowake blocker.
    Autowake Headset - when enabled, this will prevent your phone from waking up when you plug in a headset. great for when you use a headset with buttons to listen to music a lot.
    Autowake Battery full - when enabled, this will prevent the "battery full, unplug to save electricity" notification from waking your phone in the middle of the night.
    Autowake power plugin - when enabled, this will prevent your phone from automatically waking up when you plug it into the charger or any other power source.
    Autowake power unplug - when enabled, this will prevent your phone from automatically waking up when you pull out the USB cable.

{Download}
    open this file with tasker to import it.

[what did you say? hearing aid? i don't need a hearing aid!] applies to certain recent samsung devices
    this is an easily missed feature, but the Kzoom can help you test your hearing, and compensate for any hearing loss you're suffering from, just like a hearing aid would.
    even if your hearing is considered good, it can still compensate for minor differences between your ears.
    this feature can be activated through settings>call>personalize call sound>adapt sound
    when you first visit this settings page it will guide you through a thorough "beep" hearing test to determine for each ear which frequencies you can and can't hear, and once done it will use this information to set up a 2nd equalizer that will correct music and phone-call sound for your ears.
    this equalizer will be used when listening to music with a headset, and when making a phone-call with and without a headset.
    you can use this together with samsung's "soundalive" equalizer, so there's no reason not to use it.

[what others have to say]
    Root through Odin, provided by timduru

timduru has a solution for memory card madness that works much better, but requires root.

quickly wake to camera, found by dk206

apprentice teaching the master, he would like to point out some customization options samsung added for the settings screen.
    i'd like to add to this that you can also bookmark some frequently used settings, which adds them to a new category at the top of your settings list.

if you have any tips for other Kzoom owners you can post them below and i'll add a link to them here.
    [Memory card madness] applies to all kitkat devices with memory cards but no root.
    kitkat has severely limited the micro SD access we have on our phones, our phone even blocks all workarounds.
    here are some tricks to make it usable:

http://downloads.timduru.org/android/kzoom/misc/platform.xml

then reboot.
    Instant Camera access from Lock state

Hi Guys
    Pressing the vol+ up and Camera key together wakes the phone up into camera mode.
    This works even with screen lock protection on.

Thanks

Denny
    With the help of fundamental @Albe95 (http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=5403589 ). I was able to enable the multi-window of GalaxyS5 on Galaxy K Zoom.
    In this zip https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/843622/multiwindow%20k%20zoom.zip there are the necessary files, placed in the correct folders. You just have to copy them and give their permission (644).
    When you restart in the settings will be released on command to enable the multi-window.
    Obviously need the root, the file is not flash from recovery.
    In case of damage I take responsibility, pay attention.
    Paki
    K Zooom.

Had been using this phone 4 about 4 months. So far so good. Rooted > change a few system files > bricked (stuck at black screen after boot logo) > downloaded the stock rom > flash via odin > fixed > root again. hehe. enjoying. So here are few apps that wont brick your phone and definitely give more ZOOOOOM to your K zoom :-

1) GMD geture control - there are a few good gestures that will enhance your user experience
    2) system app remover - get rid of bloatwares and make your phone even faster
    3) Wanam Xposed - some cosmetics for your phone
    4) Xposed Installler (http://repo.xposed.info/module/de.robv.android.xposed.installer) - more cosmetics
    5) adaway (https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway) - block ads

*the ones i have not provided links can be downloaded from playstore

As for my launchers, locksreen and widgets i am using Go launcher, go locker and go widgets (free version) by far better then Samsung's launcher and is also cleaner and faster.
    Anyway i am loving my phone more now. However i have tried a few apps for boot animation but it just failed. Don't wanna take any risks via file system changer method to try and change my boot animation as my phone had already half bricked once. If anyone has a good boot animation changer method do share and thanks in advance.

Stock rom links - C115 (http://www.mrcrab.net/stockrom/sm-c115.html)
    - C111 (http://www.mrcrab.net/stockrom/sm-c111.html)

like everyone i am also hoping that k zoom gets a thread.