kexec bootloader bypass coming in a few days

Search This thread

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
This work was started by [mbm] on the Bionic and he sent his partially functional code base to kholk, who then got a very "dirty" version of it to work on his GSM RAZR.

Kholk sent that back to [mbm] to complete the work for the CDMA/LTE RAZR because kholk lives in Italy and has no CDMA/LTE service to test anything on involving the radios.

When the RAZR giveaway happened, because I knew the principal player involved, I did some lobbying for [mbm] to receive one of the phones and kholk agreed, for the above mentioned reasons and because he wanted to give something back to [mbm] for all of his months of work on this project.

Guess who got the RAZR? ;)

Whether or not this can be ported to the D3 remains to be seen but I think it's likely that it will, with some considerable amount of work. None of this is at all simple or straightforward and it is the culmination of years of work that started with the OG Milestone.

Last edited:

gierso

Aug 13, 2010
Monterrey
Nexus 7
Nexus 7 (2013)
I have been following that thread Since the inminent release 2 months ago... i dont know when it will be Out but kholk already said that it should work with the similar devices as d3 razr bionic and d4 ... i hope he hurries up cuz im getting desperate :(

Enviado desde mi XT862

thingonaspring

Mar 8, 2006
Thanks to cellzealot for adding some context to this thread.

A working Kexec and kernel is not a simple thing to do by any measure, but as the droid 3 already has a 2nd init exploit (safestrap, clockworkmod) and there is the possibility of a working kexec/kernel for very simillar hardware (Razr), then the chances appear good that this could work.

That said - don't underestimate the amount of work required here. Just getting a working kernel running will take a lot of effort. If that's successful, then there'll be a ton more work to enable all the nice features that a custom kernel can provide (overclock/undervolt, ICS tiler, BFS scheduler......).

ZaneKaminski

Sep 17, 2010
I don't have much (or really any) experience with hardware stuff like this, but I'm a capable programmer and "fluent" in C. If source for this is released, I'd be more than happy to help out as best I can.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I can probably add some clarification to this.

Over the last 2 months, I've been developing a new Kindle Fire 3.0 kernel. I had full source from Amazon for the 2.6.35 kernel, and it was developed as a close device to the Blaze Tablet for which source is plentiful.

That being said, there have been many challenges along the way.

Now imagine adding the complexity of kexec and all of the phone features which tablets dont have.

Also, even with a full 3.0 kernel, I'm still having issues securing a portion of the ducati source code to create a 512mb compatible hw codec binary, as the stock binary from TI is hard coded to 1gb of ram. And it doesnt have the custom camera code that Moto adds to it.

So after months of work, you'd have a very functional ICS w/o hardware codecs ... which is almost what we have now.

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA

slvrarrow

Jul 1, 2008
That's crushed some hope.

If it means that HW codecs are off the menu for the forseeable, I'd love to see CM7.2 being ported for the interim for those who want performance but need HW codecs/flash and the like.

ssinisterss

Apr 16, 2010
so. california

Over the last 2 months, I've been developing a new Kindle Fire 3.0 kernel. I had full source from Amazon for the 2.6.35 kernel, and it was developed as a close device to the Blaze Tablet for which source is plentiful.

Now imagine adding the complexity of kexec and all of the phone features which tablets dont have.

Also, even with a full 3.0 kernel, I'm still having issues securing a portion of the ducati source code to create a 512mb compatible hw codec binary, as the stock binary from TI is hard coded to 1gb of ram. And it doesnt have the custom camera code that Moto adds to it.

So after months of work, you'd have a very functional ICS w/o hardware codecs ... which is almost what we have now.

i wish it was as fast as the Gnex guys can make a kernel i know being open a kernel can be made in a few hours to a few days.would it be easier for the D4 since it has 1gb of ram?

i may have to move onto the Gnex now :(

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
i wish it was as fast as the Gnex guys can make a kernel i know being open a kernel can be made in a few hours to a few days.would it be easier for the D4 since it has 1gb of ram?

i may have to move onto the Gnex now :(

Difference is that the 3.0 GNex kernel actually exists at the moment. Where the 3.0 kernel for the D3 does not exist.

gierso

Aug 13, 2010
Monterrey
Nexus 7
Nexus 7 (2013)

look hash uses his droid 3 for surfing xda!!

:)

i must relearn all my prog skills to help.
very rusty right now. nooo, more than rusty.

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Personally I would love to see cm7 functional on the xt860. I love ics but I just can't use it as a daily driver with the lack of video and the poor battery life compared to my gb rom

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

ssinisterss

Apr 16, 2010
so. california
id like to at least get the movie editor app working so i can edit my videos. in ICS we can view our videos we took on a GB rom, if i can record on the stock rom then boot into ICS to edit then upload to youtube then i might not switch. idk how extensive the movie editor app is in terms of codecs, but it loads up when you click on it then FCs/reboots phone when you select a project.

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
It would be nice for someone to take up completing cm7. When ICS source dropped, hash polled and everyone wanted cm9 and cm7 got dropped

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
My two cents goes toward a fully functional cm7.2 over a mostly functional cm9 also.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: slayer621

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right now the new kernel has a display issue that both me and jonpry are working through.

Situation is like this:
    - We now has a new 3.0 kernel. So it's old PowerVR drivers are out of date and can't be used.
    - Can't use any of the PowerVR drivers on RAZR, Droid 4 or Bionic due to memory allocation changes in the kernel.
    - Texas Instruments provides "stock" PowerVR drivers as binaries and kernel module source for developers working on their "stock" 3.0 kernel.

Solution:
    - We're altering the Motorola 3.0 kernel to be more like the stock TI kernel so that these binaries will work.

Takes time. :/

And obviously w/ JB out, I'm splitting duties.

Thanks for being patient!
    From my end, I have a very set focus at the moment.

#1 for me is getting the new kernel merged up to a point where it can use all of the goodies I have for it.

This is a fairly long process starting with a grueling merge of code that I'm on day #4 of. Then, I get to debug the thing for days/weeks until most the kernels are resolved,. This includes turning back on the rpmsg system and debugging memory allocation issues that we had previously.

Only after that, do we finally get to see how effective this new ducati runs on the D3, and if it will work with our camera hardware, etc.

So sound issues aside, I still have several days/weeks before I can see a new bootup of the kernel in what I consider a really usable state.

#2 Once the new kernel is functional, I can choose 1 of 2 paths:
    A) I could work on kexec binaries to use the new kernel on the other phones. This would be needed before we could test it on the RAZR and compare audio notes.
    B) I could continue to troubleshoot the D3's audio w/o a reference point like the RAZR and see where it goes.

I'm not sure I would call that "back burner" :p

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    Quick status update:
    - I have successfully tested video decoding using the new ducati on the Kindle Fire (doesn't have a camera)
    - And I'm now working on the new Moto kernel bringing it up-to-date so it can use the same drivers and ducati as the KFire, and once done it will be easier to update straight from TI. The new kernel version is 4AI.1.6 (3.0.31 mainline) for those that are curious.

Reading this thread and thinking about it some more, I will continue to do ICS builds as it's ready for the new codecs w/o any additional changes (once the kernel is done). Be nice to see what's going work and what isn't.

Once ICS is running well, I'll start on JB. Which will need audio changes and a bunch of optimizations.

Thoughts?

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    Starting the "big merge" to add the functionality to this kernel that the D3 would need to fully operate under ICS:
    - Stuff like updated PowerVR binaries
    - Update WLAN drivers and firmware
    - Handling for 512MB codecs (may only be HD codecs not camera-- testing will tell)
    - Etc

You can see the new kernel developing here:
    http://gitorious.org/droid3-kexec/droid3-kexec-kernel/commits/3.0.8-dev

Right now I'm debugging the rpmsg sub-system which loads the HD codec binary (ducati).
    I have a new version of Safestrap which handles the kexec load as part of the ROM.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2