[Q] Duplicate Folders in Stock Gallery

Search This thread

scmlee

Aug 23, 2006
I'm using a Bell I317M and recently flashed the official 4.3 update. I have noticed that I see duplicate entries in the gallery and have traced it down to the fact that I have two paths mapped to the SD card: /storage/extSdCard and /mnt/extSdCard

I don't recall this happening prior to the update. I believe it's related to a new way of referencing the external SD cards but is there a way to fix this so that the stock gallery app doesn't think they are completely different locations and show duplicates?

Actually, this is not only restricted to the stock gallery app. I have the stock android gallery app and it's doing the same thing!

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Are you using more than one gallery ??
Or more than one camera app?

Both will create and place duplicates...

Just a thought.... g

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

scmlee

Aug 23, 2006
Are you using more than one gallery ??
Or more than one camera app?

Both will create and place duplicates...

Just a thought.... g

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have both the Samsung stock gallery app and the Stock JB gallery installed. As for camera, I mainly use the Samsung stock camera app. But how (and why) would it create duplicates? New pics get saved to the DCIM location on the external SD card.

But since I have 2 logical paths to that location (one through /mnt and another through /storage), the gallery shows duplicates....

Last edited:

210euser

Oct 27, 2013
I have both the Samsung stock gallery app and the Stock JB gallery installed. As for camera, I mainly use the Samsung stock camera app. But how (and why) would it create duplicates? New pics get saved to the DCIM location on the external SD card.

But since I have 2 logical paths to that location (one through /mnt and another through /storage), the gallery shows duplicates....

Have you flashed or dirty flashed roms? I've seen it where this can happen. Most likely the double gallery apps are doing this. Can you delete the non samsung app and see if that worked?

Sent from my phone

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Have you flashed or dirty flashed roms? I've seen it where this can happen. Most likely the double gallery apps are doing this. Can you delete the non samsung app and see if that worked?

Sent from my phone

Agreed ....
Use TIBU and freeze one of the apks then delete it's associated duplicate folder...
Then test it...

Also ...make sure that you don't have 2 cameras set as system apps or they will both create folders on boot...g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

scmlee

Aug 23, 2006
Agreed ....
Use TIBU and freeze one of the apks then delete it's associated duplicate folder...
Then test it...

Also ...make sure that you don't have 2 cameras set as system apps or they will both create folders on boot...g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into that.

re: dirty flashing. the only thing I can think of was the in-place upgrade of the official 4.3 upgrade which I flashed through ODIN. I did not wipe prior or after the upgrade.

windstrings

Nov 22, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look into that.

re: dirty flashing. the only thing I can think of was the in-place upgrade of the official 4.3 upgrade which I flashed through ODIN. I did not wipe prior or after the upgrade.

This is an easy fix that worked for me.... I had a directory that duplicated itself, and two more that wouldn't even show in the gallery.

1. I had a couple of directories duplicate themselves when they were originally created in the emulated directory and I "moved" it to my SD card... then when viewed in gallery it showed two directories "both in SD card"..... all I did was copy this whole directory to a different location on the sd card "copy not move", then went back and deleted the original directory. Then took my copy and moved it back to my original location. Then when viewing gallery only one directory was visible "the right one".
Others recipes may work, but this one did for me...

2. Directories that were invisible were fixed simply by renaming the directory using ES explorer, go to gallery and confirm they now all show then go back in es explorer and rename back to what you had them before "if you wish".......
Now go into Gallery a second time and you should still see the directories with names back to original as you've named them. your fixed!

I think mine got messed up with I created a file called .nomedia inside the directory... while it did remove the directory from view in gallery "like it's supposed to do", when that file was deleted, the directory was still invisible.... Even after hard reboot, clearing system cache and partition cache....but the above fixed it