[HOW TO] Root, Install Busybox and SuperCharge your G9

Search This thread

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
I had the boot loop issue also.

I discovered that to get into recovery, you have to be very, very quick to release the buttons as soon as the Archos logo appears.

If it starts to boot loop you have been too slow. Hold the power button until the tab switches off and go through the boot to recovery procedure again. Sometimes, it took me a couple of attempts before I got in.

I also had ICS installed and used the ics files from sudru_petru.

Hope this helps.
Hold the volume down button while it bootloops and it will boot to recovery. I've had it happen several times.

Reactions: uphall

Mavamaarten

Mar 4, 2011
After I've ****ed up my previous device while ****ing with build.prop and some other files, I've managed to root it once again thanks to you!
Thanks a ****ing bunch!

donovan1914

Apr 14, 2008
please help

I followed all the steps and everything seemed like it worked but when I boot my system back up I dont have my 250gb storage but its reduced to 500mb. I just got the 101 g9 with the 4.0.5 from factory.

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)
I followed all the steps and everything seemed like it worked but when I boot my system back up I dont have my 250gb storage but its reduced to 500mb. I just got the 101 g9 with the 4.0.5 from factory.

HDD is not shown as internal memory but as external.
Your free internal memory is lowered by ~400 MB but it's total size is still ~1.5GB

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
when i done these steps on the [GUIDE] ADB Driver Install for Dummies ...

1. Download this zip and extract it to your desktop
2. Open the start menu, type Device Manager in the search box, then wait and the Shortcut "Device Manager" will appear above in the box. Click it. Wait a moment and Device Manager will appear
3. Enable USB Debugging on your Archos device, in Settings > Applications > Development > Tick USB Debugging and accept the warning
4. Plug in your device into your PC
5. Go back to device manager and find ADB under Unknown Devices (will have a yellow ! next to it)

all went well until i got to 5, it didnt show up unknown devices, it showed up at portable devices and it did not have a yellow ! next to it????
does it mean anything?

donovan1914

Apr 14, 2008
help

Its like my storage is missing. In settings under storage mu hdd is gone.

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012

Its like my storage is missing. In settings under storage mu hdd is gone.

HDD is not shown as internal memory but as external.
Your free internal memory is lowered by ~400 MB but it's total size is still ~1.5GB

donovan1914

Apr 14, 2008
Help Please

Its like my storage is missing. In settings under storage mu hdd is gone. I do have root now just missing my 250gb storage drive......Please help

Last edited:

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
in the process of rooting and i've got to this point....

6. Download this file (THANKS surdu_petru!)
7a. If you downloaded the file to your computer:
With your tablet plugged into the pc, copy the file to the INTERNAL STORAGE of the drive, NOT IN ANY FOLDERS
7b. If you downloaded the file to your tablet:
Open "Files"
Go to download and copy the file archos_3.2.79.ext4 to the Internal Storage, NOT IN ANY FOLDERS
8. Download this and this and remember where they are
9. Turn off the device normally
10. Hold power + volume down until the archos logo appears and a recovery menu appears
11. Use Volume Up + Down and power to select Recovery Menu > Developer Edition menu

but when i use power and volume down, it takes me into archos a101s recovery,
BUT... my only options now are...
reboot
update firmware
repair system
format system

so what have i done wrong? i followed all the instructions correctly and completed them all,
only thing i can think of is... half way through the whole rooting process, my battery died and the tablet turned off, i turned it back on and continued.
would this of messed it up? or due to it turning off, would i of needed to restart the whole process?

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Someone please let me know if they know a solution to this? as i cant work it out.
I do know archos updated/changed their recovery but how do i get around this?

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
in the process of rooting and i've got to this point....

With your tablet plugged into the pc, copy the file to the INTERNAL STORAGE of the drive, NOT IN ANY FOLDERS
Open "Files"
Go to download and copy the file archos_3.2.79.ext4 to the Internal Storage, NOT IN ANY FOLDERS
10. Hold power + volume down until the archos logo appears and a recovery menu appears
11. Use Volume Up + Down and power to select Recovery Menu > Developer Edition menu

but when i use power and volume down, it takes me into archos a101s recovery,
BUT... my only options now are...
reboot
update firmware
repair system
format system

so what have i done wrong? i followed all the instructions correctly and completed them all,
only thing i can think of is... half way through the whole rooting process, my battery died and the tablet turned off, i turned it back on and continued.
would this of messed it up? or due to it turning off, would i of needed to restart the whole process?

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Someone please let me know if they know a solution to this? as i cant work it out.
I do know archos updated/changed their recovery but how do i get around this?

HI!

First you need to Enable SDE menu , take a look here => http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1560211&page=11 ( post # 107 )

Reactions: MrLarner

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
What is SDE? first i've heard of it, and its not mentioned throughout all the tutorials :confused:
are you 100% sure this is the reason i cant get any further?

SDE is mentioned everywhere in archos forums xD

try looking at the very first page of this guide..... "Enable SDE and Permanently root your tablet" if you cannot pay attention to something so simple, you will probably screw up your rooting. And SDE the way to install custom firmware.

mackay508

Dec 26, 2010
Ness
Rooting help

For some reason i cant seem to get ADB to work. I have the 101 g9 turbo with 4.0.5 firmware. I have tried it on Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 home edition but nothing seems to work. Any help as to what to do?

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
For some reason i cant seem to get ADB to work. I have the 101 g9 turbo with 4.0.5 firmware. I have tried it on Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 home edition but nothing seems to work. Any help as to what to do?

try running a command prompt from the adb folder (probably c:/android/android-sdk, maybe /platform-tools

Abryp

Apr 16, 2011
5. Download Step 1 and Step 2 Note: Don't open these links in a browser, not tapatalk or the xda app
Download them to your desktop
"All free download slots are in use. You can download this file immediately by upgrading to FileFactory Premium. Otherwise, please feel free to try again shortly."
Please can i have these files from another hosting service? Can't download from this one several hours (Also trying to saving link directly actually downloads only index.php)

By the way, does this method of enabling SDE works for 4.0.5 firmware?

MrLarner

Jan 6, 2012
SDE is mentioned everywhere in archos forums xD

try looking at the very first page of this guide..... "Enable SDE and Permanently root your tablet" if you cannot pay attention to something so simple, you will probably screw up your rooting. And SDE the way to install custom firmware.

OK, so i've gone through the process again and done the SDE part and its still the same, when i go into recovery, i dont have the option, my only options are...
reboot
update firmware
repair system
format system

and before anyone asks, i followed everything step by step.
anyone???

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

By the way, does this method of enabling SDE works for 4.0.5 firmware?

good point, as im currently on 4.0.5 and i also cant get SDE to work.
i can get to the recovery but my options are different to what their ment to be.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

also... when i download the ZImage and the initramfs.cpio... am i ment to save them on the computer or the tablet? if tablet, do i just save them on the internal storage?

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)
OK, so i've gone through the process again and done the SDE part and its still the same, when i go into recovery, i dont have the option, my only options are...
reboot
update firmware
repair system
format system

and before anyone asks, i followed everything step by step.
anyone???
You didn't enable SDE. Please follow instructions in SDE thread.

also... when i download the ZImage and the initramfs.cpio... am i ment to save them on the computer or the tablet? if tablet, do i just save them on the internal storage?
Tutorials (this one, in SDE thread and in custom firmware threads) say everything you need to know. Please read carefully.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Easy Guides for the G9 Tablets

Step 1:
    Gain temp root

Step 2:
    Enable SDE and Permanently root your tablet

Step 3:
    Install Busybox without breaking the preinstalled Archos one or losing root

Step 4:
    SuperCharge it!

Thanks to Paul @ MoDaCo for the temp root
    Thanks to serdu_petru for full root
    Thanks to cajl for adb drivers that I edited for noobs
    Thanks to letama for the original full root stuff
    Thanks to zeppelinrox for v6 supercharger
    Temp Rooting - You must do this first

1. Install the ADB drivers, using my other thread here (WINDOWS ONLY)
    2. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed and have access to adb
    3. Open up a command window (Windows key + R, type cmd and hit enter)
    4. Type, with your tablet plugged in:
    Code:
    adb devices
    Your device should appear. If not, repeat steps 1-4 until it does. You may need to restart your computer
    5. Download Step 1 and Step 2 Note: Don't open these links in a browser, not tapatalk or the xda app
    Download them to your desktop
    6. Go back to your command window and type
    Code:
    cd desktop
    7. Write these commands into it, pressing enter at each new line:
    Code:
    adb push 1 /data/local/
    adb push 2 /data/local/
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/1
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/2
    adb shell /data/local/1
    adb reboot
    adb shell /data/local/2
    adb reboot
    (Note: Device will reboot at both adb reboot commands)
    You are done!
    Note: Device doesn't wake from sleep after this and you can only get root via ADB, by typing adb shell

THANKS TO PAUL FROM MoDaCo for this root
    Enabling SDE & Permanently Rooting Your tablet

1. Make sure you have done the temp root method
    2. Download this zip and extract to your desktop
    3. Open the command window again (if it's a new one, type cd desktop again)
    4. With your device plugged in, type
    Code:
    enable_sde
    and hit enter
    5. Type
    Code:
    adb shell rm /data/local.prop
    and hit enter
    Open "Files"
    12. Use them to select Flash Kernel and initramfs
    13. When a drive appears on your computer, copy the zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to it. Press power on the device, wait and then press it again
    14. The device will boot the unrooted edition (apps and storage will be unaffected)
    15. Turn off your device again and boot back into recovery
    16. Select Recovery System > Developer Menu > Remove android Kernel
    17. Accept warnings (MEDIA & APPS WILL BE UNAFFECTED)
    18. Reboot. Your device will now boot the rooted edition every time :D
    BIG THANKS TO surdu_petru and letama for the firmware and SDE ;)
    Installing Busybox without breaking your root

You will need:
    Root Explorer (costs, sorry :/):
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer&hl=en
    Terminal Emulator (free :D):
    https://market.android.com/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImphY2twYWwuYW5kcm9pZHRlcm0iXQ..
    Busybox Installer (JRummy)
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jrummy.busybox.installer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5qcnVtbXkuYnVzeWJveC5pbnN0YWxsZXIiXQ..

1. Open Root Explorer and go to /bin
    2. Press the menu button (very top right) and then Multi-Select
    3. Press Select All (bottom left)
    4. Press Move and navigate to /system/xbin
    5. Press mount R/W (top right) and then Press Paste
    6. Open up Terminal Emulator and type the following commands (enter for each new line)
    Code:
    su
    rm -r /bin
    ln -s /system/xbin /bin
    7. Go back to Root Explorer and navigate to /system/bin
    8. Find su and long tap > copy
    9. Navigate to /sdcard and tap paste (This backs up su, just in case)
    10. Open Busybox Installer and make sure it says 1.19.3 and /system/xbin
    11. Hit install
    12. Go back to Terminal Emulator and execute this command:
    Code:
    rm /system/xbin/su
    13. Go back to Root Explorer and navigate to /system/bin
    14. Find su and long press > copy
    15. Navigate to /system/xbin and tap paste
    16. Find su and make sure its permissions are rwsr-sr-x
    17. If they are, you are done!
    If they're not, long press su > permissions and make it look like this:
    Screenshot_2012-01-21-22-25-19.png

Then you are done :D
    SuperCharge your Tablet with v6 SuperCharger!

1. Download Script Manager from the market
    2. Download v6 Supercharger by zeppelinrox here:
    RC5 test 2
    3. Open Script manager and press browse as root
    4. Find your downloaded file in download & tap it
    5. Tap the root icon and then hit run
    6. Follow the instructions until you get to the "Driver's Console"
    7. Type your choice(s)
    I recommend 5 & then 20
    8. Type 30 and hit enter. The device will reboot. It will take longer to boot than usual, as it is building the cache files
    BIG THANKS TO zeppelinrox FOR v6 SUPERCHARGER!