AVI support

Search This thread

mmeeeekkss

Nov 6, 2007
I hope it does I have a lot of avi files and I don't want to convert all of them since I can use them on my Xbox already but avi with chromecast would be awesome.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Hi

I find the lack of avi support a major negative. Will Google ever support this?
It's a double-whammy because AVIs are container files (it has nothing to do with the stuff stored inside), and the compression within AVIs tend to not be streaming-friendly.

A lot of commonly-used CODECs for AVIs store essential decoding stuff at the end of the stream. Not a problem for file-based playback, but horrible for streaming playback since devices can't forsee the future.

Unpacking the AVI container isn't too bad, it's the other stuff - and making sense of the FourCC CODEC identifier at the other end that's the challenge.

drivenby

Mar 8, 2012
I could have sworn that I've streamed Avi files, the problem is the codec, which are usually not compatible.

You can even test this by changing the codec and leaving Avi as a container.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
What is the best piece of software that will convert avi to mp4?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

I suggest A's Video Converter if you have a newer Intel CPU or AMD graphic card, it utilizes them for fast encoding without slowing down the computer much. For a fast computer it could take 10-15 minutes to convert a full movie instead of an hour or more. It's a batch converter so you can add your files and let it run over night.

http://bluesky23.yu-nagi.com/en/AsVideoConv.html

You have to set up a few things in the app like set Encoder to AMD VCE or Intel QSV. Also the correct formats to be compatible with Chromecast (MP4 container, H.264 video, AAC audio).

If you have nVidia graphic card you can use CUDA for fast encoding, but most programs that utilizes it cost money, such as Badaboom.

sent via my Le Motonovo X

Last edited:

BTT8

Oct 16, 2012
Got a bunch of naughty videos in avi format don't we? :thumbup:

I do too.

seve1476

Oct 27, 2010
I've used DVD Catalyst to convert most of mine for my Zoom and wife's IPad. Works like a charm and they keep it updated with new platforms hitting the market.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I just uploaded them to Real Player cloud. They play good, touch wood
RealPlayer Cloud is sort of like a "cloud Plex" - their SureStream feature makes sure the requesting device gets a stream that it can play - even if the source file isn't normally playable. tl;dr - RealPlayer Cloud does the transcoding for you - as long as the media is on their cloud.