Kernel With Separate Cache Partition

Search This thread

peter s

Jun 27, 2010
wifi error

Why WiFi doesn't work for me? Or at least not the way it should. I mean that I can turn it on once after every soft reset, trying to enable it again ends up with error. Thank you very much :). By the way, the release before the latest one doesn't suffer from this.
I encountered the same using this kernel with Scoot CyanogenMod 7.1.0 RLS3 (Gingerbread 2.3.5) on Polaris. Not sure if it works using RLS2. Clues anyone?
Note that wifi can be reenabled without a reboot using settings->wireless->wifi while attempts from power control widget and notification power widget fail.

Last edited:

gpkumaran

Mar 19, 2010
Mayiladuthurai
Hi,
I want to use Scoot Cyanogenmod 7 with this kernel.. i installed with all(system data cache) on nand and it worked well except for some Force Close at the beginning of the boot..

Now I want to Use this with
System in NAND and
Data and cache in SD(ext 4)
1. Is it possible to use this kernel with ext4??

pls help..

2. Also, what Shud i do in A-tools to put Data on SD(ext 4)?
3. I shud use the A-tools with Cache right?

DocMCSE

Oct 1, 2007
Snellville
pwp.att.net
Feel free to think me a noob because I'm starting to feel like one the more I try to fix my mess up. I had my Kaiser all updated with Cyanogen 7 Gingerbread and after installing a few too many apps started to have low memory issues. Decided to try some app that moves other apps to the SDCard and now I have an odd screen rotation issue. If I'm in a program and slide open the keyboard the rotation is correct. If on the other hand I open the keyboard from the home screen the rotation is 180 degrees rather than only 90. I've read every thread that talks of issues regarding screen rotation and have tried them all (setting the orientation display setting, changing the panel type in the kernel and even changing the resolution/density but none have worked). I have reflashed the kernel and reinstalled GB several times but the trouble remains. Anyone have something new I can try as this has me completely stumped. :confused:

SOLVED!
So all along I was thinking that I had done something while it would seem that the trouble is in the settings for ADWLauncher (ADWlauncher settings => system preference => system persistence). I read someplace else that the system persistence setting locked the screen to portrait but in my case it ended up as upside down portrait when opening the slide. Unchecking this and now both the desktop and programs rotate the screen properly when opening and closing the slide.

Last edited:
Reactions: PoXFreak

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I've compiled a kernel which separates the NAND memory into 3 partitions (well more then that but anyway). These partitions are system, data and cache like a native Android phone (which also has recovery but we don't need that). Previously cache was linked to a directory on the data partition which was constantly becoming corrupt causing errors on start-up. Often clearing dalvik-cache would allow Android to boot but data was lost. There's nothing to say that this will solve the problem but i'm giving it a go so thought I would post it up for you to try also.

The cache partition is 20mb which means the data partition is only 90mb or so. If you like a million apps on your phone either put some on your SD card or don't use it :)

I haven't completely incorporated this partition into the initrd which means that currently it will only mount if data is also on NAND but this can be changed easily enough, but for testing purposes I want everything on the NAND chip anyway.

Downloads from market on all versions of Android, unless the init.rc directory is changed in Gingerbread, all go to the cache partition and are deleted on restart. What this means is that you can't download and install an app larger then 20mb (which isn't recommended anyway with the small amount of data space available). This is a drawback but for those that use data on SD it should be possible in the future to utilise more of the NAND memory for cache so you can install whatever you want. I don't know of many apps larger then 20mb anyway though.

I have included a modified version of ATools in the zip. The standard version will overwrite the partition values and the kernel won't work properly so if you need to modify the kernel use the version included. It is also important that you DO NOT change the system or data partition sizes in ATools as this hasn't been modified to account for the cache partition so will mess it all up.

I have also included an androidupdate.tar modules update for the kernel in case your wifi doesn't work after flashing the kernel.

I think that's it for now, let me know how it goes!

EDIT::
    One last thing, you will need to wipe your DATA partition to use this kernel because some of your data may be positioned where the cache partition is now, so if you load this kernel and android is heavily corrupt you know what you have to do!

To check the kernel is working correctly you can type "df -h" into a terminal and it should show all of the current partitions including one called cache on mtdblock4.

Should now work with polaris, kaiser and vogue. There is a VOGUEIMG.NBH included for those who have trouble with ATools. It is completely untested on Vogue so sorry if it doesn't work.
    hey, about to try out the kernel later tonight, which CM build do you recommend? i remember your CM6 being pretty immense, how is the CM7 compared to it? cheers!

Well, I expect it would answer your question if I said that I use my CM6 build and have done for quite a few months now. I don't think in it's current state I would use CM7 consistently when I need the phone for work etc.. CM6 is faster, less resource hungry and just more polished at the minute. It might be different when I get some time!!!!! to compile 7.1.0 but I don't expect it will still match CM6 in terms of speed.
    I've installed the kernel and the new RIL. Both work well, thank you. I'll run it as-is for a while. I crashed it once, and no issues on reboot.

Good stuff, I will probably have a go at ATools and the initrd today if I get time. I compiled CM 7.1.0 yesterday and I'm running it now. I though it was dog slow to start with but after an hour of leaving the phone to it's own devices it's got pretty snappy. I haven't mentioned it on the CM7 thread yet because I know quite a few people are waiting for it and I can't be arsed with all of the 'when are you gonna release it' questions as I might not get time to iron out some of the bugs I've found, but we'll see. Morning rant over :D
    EDIT

I have re-uploaded a modified kernel because there was some issues with data with the last one. If you have already applied the last one flash the new one and apply the module update again :)
    Okay, I'm game to try. But I like my resized data partition to be on the large size, so I'll probably end up playing with the kernel and atools to see if I can make it happen. Assuming that this kernel is on the scooter experimental branch, and git is up to date, I'm trying it after my morning coffee.

I'm gonna try and rejig the Atools patition size slider to include cache but I haven't thought about the maths yet.The kernel is just the standard .32 branch, not my experimental branch! All of the changes are in the initrd and I haven't pushed the changes because not everyone wants a cache partition and it isn't implemented very well. I was going to sit down and implement it better today but I managed to lock myself out so I've been at the neighbours waiting for the girlfriend to come home all afternoon.