Wireless Charging Thread.

Search This thread

senectus

Dec 14, 2004
Perth
Haha cool thanks for that!

I can't believe how hard it is to get information on this subject, even the hands on videos I've seen don't show the side profile view of the special back :(

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

gnik luap

Dec 5, 2012
No way hose too expensive, I just finished installing the note 2 QI receiver inside me N3. I will post video in the morning because I don't have anything atm to record.

Sent from my N9005

It was more expensive, about $42 with tax, and now I've returned the phone and am stuck with the charging back.
I got it because I saw reviews of the insert type adapters that said on an S4 they left a bulge in the back that kept some case from fitting properly. Since I would be limited in the case selection anyway I wanted an OEM charging back in case it charged faster, and then I added a cheap bumper because NO case seems to work with the OEM charging cover.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Found this video of someone that had cut down a third party QI charge patch for the Note 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LaQQnc2dmU

If this is possible I cant see the official back being any bulkier than the normal one...

I think BlueChris is right, the official charging back is almost certain to be thicker than the plain back. That's the way it is for the S4 charging back vs stock back cover.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

BlueChris,
My understanding of your description is that the modified Note 2 charging insert is a tight fit in the Note 3 needing extra pressure to snap the case shut, correct?

Also, when you look at it closely, can you see or feel any bulge?

BlueChris,
My understanding of your description is that the modified Note 2 charging insert is a tight fit in the Note 3 needing extra pressure to snap the case shut, correct?

Also, when you look at it closely, can you see or feel any bulge?

A tiny bit extra pressure and if it's straight either way it's tricky to feel that because of the frame in the backplate around the camera.

Next test will be with the Spigen neo case (still isn't shipped from Amazon) because this will add thickness to the distance between the receiver and the sender, but I have an idea if it's not working to glue the receiver on the inside of the Spigen case and then with simple flat copper adhesive cable to bring outside of the back plate the + -. LOL I like this, what I don't like is that I haven't rooted yet cause of knox **** but I don't know how much time more I will w8 for a proper knoxfree rooting method.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
I asked Verizon in chat and they gave me a pretty straight forward answer

"You: will Verizon block the Wireless charging capabilities of the Note 3 as they did with the note 2. (ability to add the wireless charging back to it)

Lonnie: No, they wont.

You: so the note 3 will have wireless charging with the added accessory?

Lonnie: Yes."

take it for what it is worth, but it sounds like good news to me.

I think they learned from the GN2 issues, button logo and wireless charging. It just wasn't smart.

Reactions: THAD LOVELACE

Meanee

Mar 24, 2008
I am curious about T-Mobile version. For some hell only knows what reason, they left pins there, but one pin was not connected to charging circuit. So they did nothing, unless you are willing to get dirty with a soldering iron.

gnik luap

Dec 5, 2012
I am curious about T-Mobile version. For some hell only knows what reason, they left pins there, but one pin was not connected to charging circuit. So they did nothing, unless you are willing to get dirty with a soldering iron.

Maybe I need more coffee, but I don't follow.
Do you mean the T-Mobile phone has qi contacts that aren't connected?
How did you verify, do you have a Samsung wireless charging back cover?
If so that sounds like a defective phone needing replaced.

Meanee

Mar 24, 2008
Maybe I need more coffee, but I don't follow.
Do you mean the T-Mobile phone has qi contacts that aren't connected?
How did you verify, do you have a Samsung wireless charging back cover?
If so that sounds like a defective phone needing replaced.

There was a big thread on Note II forums on how to enable wireless charging on T-Mobile Note II. Both contacts were there, but only one was connected to a charging circuit.

More here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1978276

Reactions: gnik luap

roffle

Jul 9, 2013
My only issue is I often will want to be performing battery intensive tasks while inductive charging. As I have experienced from my old palm touchstone mod with an output of .5amp on my GS3 just having pandora running in the background led to a charge deficit. I only hope that inductive charging VERY soon supports 2+amp or I will never be able to turn that beast of a screen on for long and hope for a charge.

yup one of the downsides of wireless charging

jyan_osu

Jan 13, 2007
So there are 3 pins next to the battery and we only need to use 2 of those 3 pins to charge? Which ones the positive and negative? Thanks. According to that video there is no use for those 2 pins above the battery

The 2 pins above the battery are for NFC.. the pins to the side of the battery are for wireless charging.

The 2 pins above the battery are for NFC.. the pins to the side of the battery are for wireless charging.

could you post your source for this information? And does anyone know why there are 3 pins on the side? Is it possible there's an extra ground to allow for support of higher charging current?

I found this on the WPC website

EXTENSION TO 10-15 WATTS
WPC is creating a certification program for Qi transmitters to deliver up to 15 Watts. These Qi transmitters will provide more rapid phone charging.

EXTENSION TO MEDIUM POWER
Work has started to extend the Qi specification to medium power, delivering up to 120 Watts.

WIRELESS POWER IN KITCHENS
There is a vision to create cable- and connector-free appliances for kitchens to make them safer and more convenient: and to provide a new way of using appliances. These are much more powerful appliances needing up to 2 kW.

I really want 2kW wireless power;)

DataHawg

Aug 26, 2010
East Seattle
I would be curious to find out if one of the needed pins is disconnected in the Tmobile (Qualcomm) version like it was on the Note 2

Hardcore73

Dec 30, 2011
Thanks ReggieSmith, I just ordered mine too from Amazon. That is the same company I bought all my S4 wireless gear from.

Reactions: Acaibowl

Amdathlonuk

May 10, 2009
Abergavenny

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,
    I was one of the users who investigated and found the Note 2 has the QI pins present, but not enabled by the TMO processor variant. Regardless, there was a mod made for it and I later released an updated process that turned out to be a little easier.

This morning, I decided to investigate the N3 and I can confirm (as it has been discussed here already) the TMO Note 3 does in fact have the QI wireless charging enabled out of the box. However, as discussed, that means nothing if there is no receiving pad in the rear casing area to convert the inductance signal to the required 5VDC feed. As shown in this thread, you can use a modified Note II receiving pad, but I found the stock setup to be a little bulky and the rear case seems somewhat "humped". So out came the soldering iron, siccors, and some patience.

First, regarding the pins above and to the side of the battery, a few of the observations already made by others are correct -

(2) pins above the battery = NFC

(2) of the (3) pins to the left of the battery = QI Wireless charging [ pin1= + / pin2= - ]
    (The 3rd pin appears to be an external current monitoring/future use pin)

With that out of the way, let's rip apart a stock N2 QI pad! I will use a 5VDC 1000ma N2 pad, which is rather thick at 1.75mm. But, with the two sides removed (hot blow-dryer/heat gun is your friend), the height is reduce to near 1mm. (tip - carefully cut/save a 3mm x 5mm section of the foam padding as we will use that later).

qi_n900t_b.jpg

Since we have to "flip" the layout of the QI pad, I proceeded to do the following in order to keep by the inductance coil as close as possible to the rear casing surface and remove the thick hump cause by folding the contact pads copper trace over (proceed only if you have experience with a soldering iron and electronics in general):

A. Cut a horizontal slit in the protective laminate layer just below the area the oval inductor sits on (and above the little copper PCB area) so the oval inductor can be CAREFULLY slid and flipped to the opposite side without messing up to two leads.

B. Cut off the pin contacts laminate section so it can be flipped as well and soldered back together(now facing the opposite direction and on the top/left side).

C. Trim the remaining surface area around the pad perimeter to insure the pad stays within the battery cavity section of the rear casing. A Quick placement/fit test on the battery side is done to insure all is well.

qi_n900t_c.jpg

Once confirmed functional, the pad circuitry can be properly placed on the rear cover plate and secured using one of the previously used cover-stickers (the one without the padding). If needed, place that 3mm x 5mm foam cushion you cut earlier under the area of the pin contacts to help keep a secure connection when the casing cover plate is reattached.

qi_n900t_d.jpg

The final test is to see how everything does after the final assembly is complete. I use the Samsung OEM wireless charger, but any QI standard charger should be fine.:D

qi_n900t_a.jpg

Lastly, it seems the stock kernel limits the wireless charge current to 640-650mA, which is expected. Hopefully, when a custom kernel is released, the current limiting will be removed and allow it to go up to 990-1000mA with this specific pad like the Saber variant did for the Note 2.

Hope this helps and sorry if I missed anything or wasn't as detailed as I usually am. It is a nice Sunday here in San Diego and I should be outside with the family!

Cheers,
    Scott
    Observations on wireless charging for Note3 & S3 on Tylt VU

A month ago I was even more excited to receive my Tylt VU than when I got my Note 3 in hand. This is because I was fascinated with wireless charging right from my S3 time to be able to charge it without the need to plug and pull wires from these hungry devices. But lack of reliable accessories made me to wait until this long.

More than receiver stickers on battery I thought OEM φi compatible cases are more reliable and long lasting. Reading through the positive reviews and few other misleading articles about Samsung S-view flip cover for Note3 having wireless charging capabilities I was all happy with the slim and decent looks it added to my N3 along with its s-view sensors until I received my Tylt VU.

20131226_115253.jpg

img_20131226_120153-001.jpg

To my biggest disappointment I see nothing happens on my Note3 with S-View cover when placed on Tylt VU. Being on a custom ROM I even tried my S-View on another N3 with stock rom, still no signs of charging. I was so confident about my Tylt VU that I started shouting at the seller who sold my S-view and also at the Samsung customer service for denying to look into this defective case under warranty.

After careful reading I realized how much I was fooled by Samsung cheap sales trick to sell non Qi version of its S-view covers in India. You will hardly find any difference between these two versions of covers unless you know 5 pins are required on the inside of this case for both wireless charging and s-view functions unlike two pins for just S-view sensors.

20131226_120353-001.jpg

5pin%20wc.jpg

See the difference yourself

https://www.samsungindiaestore.com/Products/Accessories/Note3_S_view_Cover_EF-CN900BBEGIN (Without wireless charging support)

http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/mobile-phone/mobile-phone/galaxy-note-accessories/EF-TN900BBEGWW (With wireless charging support)

I can understand the seller for not having idea on these identical duos, so asked my apologies for shouting at him but the service center guys they are pathetic as they dint even know what it means by wireless charging.

This time I ordered two battery receiver stickers for N3 & S3 and another built-in receiver replaceable back case for S3 as a backup. I thought I cannot use my S-view case anymore when I stick the wireless receiver on the battery covering all the 5 pin holes so I ordered a SPIGEN SGP Ultra Fit Case.

In a casual attempt I tried fitting the S-view case over the wireless sticker and to my pleasant surprise I see both S-View and Wireless Charging works now. I think the pin could touch the contacts right from the back of battery sticker to make everything work.

20131226_120415.jpg

20131226_120459.jpg

img_20131226_120153.jpg

Looks like Tylt VU is worth the extra bucks spent on it as it charges in any angle the phone is placed. I don’t have to be so conscious in the middle of the night If I have to place it back on tylt VU it charges without missing it. It even charges N3 through my Spigen fit case with ease.

20131226_115414.jpg

2013-12-26-11-54-06.png

20131226_115613.jpg

20131226_115816.jpg

Some facts and figures from my testing with Note-3 using different charging sources.

Using Note3 Samsung Charger (Output Current – 2000mA)
    Charges at 1200mA

2013-12-25-23-44-30.png

Using S3 Samsung Charger (Output Current – 1000mA)
    Charges at 900mA

2013-12-25-23-45-07.png

Using Tylt VU Wireless Charger (Output Current – 1000mA)
    With battery sticker charging efficiency lying between 60-75%,
    Charges at 640mA

2013-12-25-23-45-37.png

On average my Tylt VU charges Note3 at 20% per hour taking around 4.5 hrs for a full charge.

Using Laptop connecting with USB2.0/USB3.0 port
    Charges at 450mA

2013-12-26-14-45-12.png

I could make my Note 3 charging at 1800mA for few seconds second by placing it on Tylt VU while it is connected to its 2000mA power charger.

2013-12-26-00-10-59.png
    . . .the continuing saga of "what is the best wireless charging / NFC for use with the Otterbox Defender case?'. . .

The newest configuration I am running is with the QI/NFC circuit from the OEM Samsung charging back, fitted to the stock Note 3 back cover.

After separating the circuit card from the OEM charging back, I was able to carefully remove the actual circuit from the plastic card, leaving me with the fantastic OEM Samsung QI/NFC in a package just as thin as the white Amazon QI card I'd been using for the last couple weeks.

I mounted the circuit directly to the inside back cover so that I could remove the cover and/or battery without disturbing the card, using clear 3M paint protection film to mount the card - this protects the circuit, and holds it all around the perimeter. (The thin metal 'T' on the OEM card is a heat sink for the IC chip).

The first 3 pictures below are views of the back cover on, showing the very slight deformation from the mounted circuit card - fits snugly inside the Otterbox Defender case, but without any issues - and that is with my iLoome tempered glass screen protector on as well.

The last picture shows the OEM QI/NFC card mounted to the inside of the back cover of the Note 3.

Both the wireless charging and the NFC have been thoroughly tested with this newest setup - and they work like a charm!

Cheers'

Dan
    Ultra-thin 0.5mm Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy Note III 3 N9005 N9500 with Full NFC Support

Picked up another Qi Receiver that arrived today. This was purchased from Amazon from the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFGL0XE

It was $21.99 and had free shipping (I used Prime but paid $1.99 for next day)

It is advertised as: 0.5mm and it is easily the thinnest of the Receivers I've physically seen so far, but might be a tad bit thicker at the chip. But it is still very slender. It has 2 pins on the side for the Qi connections, and 2 pins on top for NFC support. The chip itself is near the top of the card and sits just under the camera. The back cover of the phone however fit as flat as the TechMatte that I did a review on.

Some pics:

The box and the card taken out (there are no instructions but it is fairly easy for even a very novice user to figure it out)

Hv7kpTKl.jpg

Other side of the box:

rLFIx1Dl.jpg

Cover side:

sa22ZR5l.jpg

Battery and connector side:

9yM5TNsl.jpg

Unlike the Techmatte, there are some differences:
    • Slimmer
    • No cover side connectors that you could use for say the s-view flip cover
    • Has NFC built in and and works well

Will add pics of it inside the phone when I get my other camera out.

Oh and it appears to charge just fine. I was seeing 640mAh when I checked it with two different apps to check.
    Last night I charged 1st time the phone with QI, and I'm totally fine of the time that was 4 and something hours from 15% to full. Also I was checking every now and then the temperature with a laser thermometer between the backplate and the base because I was afraid that the coil maybe was somehow hot (I never had used a wireless charger in anything before) and temp was max at 38C so all are good in that area.
    vaja8ymy.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4