Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Hmmm... not sure.

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

dragon632

Nov 16, 2009
When the screen is wet, does the touch screen still working? As I know, Sony has a floating touch technical on its MT27i, is it also available on Xperia Z ?

xiFIL

Jul 11, 2012
2wrfb6v.png

Intro
Hello there people, I decided that I/we should have a topic specially for those who want to buy the Xperia Z or want to know certain things.
The forum (Xperia Z section) will grow and grow because more and more people will buy the phone and many of them will have the same questions, so to prevent them for making the same topic over and over, they can find their answers in here.
I'm just going to make a q&a( question and answer) list so that some things can be cleared up for the people that are still in doubt.
Everyone is free to post some questions (and answers) in this topic, I will edit them in the first post.

Q: Is the Xperia Z water resistant or water proof?
A: The phone is water proof, you can hold it under water (1 meter/ +- 3feet) for 30minutes.
Although its not advised that you hold the phone in water that contains acids like sea water which contains salt.

Q: Since the phone is water proof how will the warranty system work?
A:

Q: Does the touch screen still works while it's under water?
A: The touch screen doesn't work while the phone is fully under water, so the touch screen will work while you're taking a shower, as long as there aren't too many drops on the screen. The screen itself will keep working so watching a movie for example shouldn't be a problem.

Q: Does the phone support 64gb cards?
A: Yes it does [Confirmed] (Thanks to: hush66 )
Source: Click!

Q: Does the phone have a notification led?
A: Yes, in the upper right corner. "It works for notifications (SMS, Whatsapp, etc) as well as charging indicator."[Confirmed] (Thanks to: hush66 )

Q: Is there a dock included when I buy the phone?
A: Depends on the country you order it from

Q: Oleophobic coating? What's that?
A: Source: Wikipedia. A lipophobic coating is used on the touchscreens of Apple's iPhones since the 3GS, their iPads, Nokia's N9 and Lumia devices, various Samsung phones such as the Google Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, the HTC HD2, Hero and Flyer and many other phones to repel fingerprint oil, which aids in preventing and cleaning fingerprint marks.

Q: So does this phone have oleophobic coating?
A: The screen protector which comes with the phone does, the glass screen itself doesn't. (Still needs to be confirmed)

Q: Can I use this phone without a screen protector?
A: Yes you can, but it's suggested that you use a screen protector (The phone comes with a screen protector already applied on the phone)

Q: Will this phone get an update to Android 5??
A: Time will tell (Or Sony)

Q: Can you use secret codes like: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20750699&postcount=72 ???
A:Yes the secret codes work, but they are phone specific. So for example secret codes for the Xperia T might not work for the Xperia Z. (Thanks to: hush66 )

Q: What is stamina mode?
A: "With Battery STAMINA Mode you have more intelligent battery management and can easily improve your standby time by four times or more. Your phone knows when you’re screen is off and shuts down the battery-draining apps you don’t need, then starts them up again when the screen is back on."

Q: Does this phone support 4g?
A: Yes it does [Confirmed]
Version C6603 supports 4G LTE
Version C6602 HSPA+ only
(Thanks to: SmallsXD)

Q: What LTE bands are supported?
A: LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 - C6603 (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20 (Depends on your country))

Q: Can you change the screen settings? (e.g. Contrast) (Question by: Gitaroo)
A: "The Xperia Z/ZL has a White Balance setting. Not contrast/brightness, but saturation/hue" (Thanks to: REAVER117)

Q: How many mega pixels does the camera has?
A: 13 Mega pixels, but when taking a picture you can use 12 mega pixels only.

Q: What is the capacity of the battery?
A: 2330mAh

Q: Is the battery removable??
A: No it's not:( It's said that Sony will replace your battery for you for free.

Q: The display isn't IPS right?
A: Yes it is! For more details see the specific topic: Click

Q: What kind of sim card can I use for this phone?(Question by: mirco_p)
A: Micro-Sim (Thanks to: -]Megacharge[- and Ambroos)

Q: What are the phone's dimensions??
A: 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm(5.47 x 2.79 x 0.31 inches)

Q: How much does the phone weigh?
A: 146 grams(5.15 oz)

Q: Does the phone have a dedicated camera button?(Question by: jacksonj51)
A: No it does not.(The Xperia ZL does though)

Note: I will add a lot more questions AND answers later.
If someone has the answer to one of the questions, you're welcome to post them of course!
You can actually use 13MP on the xperia Z's camera, but when your using superior auto you can only use 12 :)

Reactions: TheKingOfPain

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012
When the screen is wet, does the touch screen still working? As I know, Sony has a floating touch technical on its MT27i, is it also available on Xperia Z ?
If you read the faq your question would be answered (Third question)
The reason that I made this topic is so that people read the faq first before asking questions/making topics.:angel::laugh:

You can actually use 13MP on the xperia Z's camera, but when your using superior auto you can only use 12 :)

Can someone confirm that please ^

dragon632

Nov 16, 2009
If you read the faq your question would be answered (Third question)
The reason that I made this topic is so that people read the faq first before asking questions/making topics.:angel::laugh:

Can someone confirm that please ^

My question is different with the Third question. The third question inquires whether the touch screen still working when the phone is under the water. But I'd like to know does it support floating touch feature, that means even if some wet on the screen surface, not fully under the water, is the touch still available? You know, surface of glass screen may not always dry, especially in a warm room when it is winter. Anyone can confirm this?

Flaaamp

Jan 1, 2010
Is it possible to disable the LTE option to save battery?
I do not have an LTE Option in my plan so I dont need it.

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012

I can confirm that it's true.

Thanks to both, edited the list.

Is it possible to disable the LTE option to save battery?
I do not have an LTE Option in my plan so I dont need it.
Not sure, hopefully someone can confirm^

(Added some more questions/answers)

budalica

What Model ?

Here are questions nobody is asking :
I live in USofA and have prepaid tmobile .
I called sony store and they say Europe is always few steps ahead with cellphones
and I would save big to order from there ,
Handtec uk sells them for 414 Sterling Pounds + Shipping should cost less than 700$
But they are selling some experia z ET964 ( I dunno if that is their Item nr or model )
Should I Buy that one or should I look for C6602 , C6603 , or C6606 ??
What is the difference ? Will it work on T-Mobile and witch one ?

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012
But they are selling some experia z ET964 ( I dunno if that is their Item nr or model )

I think that the "ET964" is Handtec's own serial number. I Google'd the serial number and the only site that connected "ET964" with the XZ was Handtec.
There is a difference between the 3 models you mentioned, for example 1 or more use different LTE bands then the States so I guess that one wouldn't work for you (Talking about the LTE)

It should work just fine on your T-mobile network(Don't hold my word for it), when you buy the correct version.

(Maybe someone who already pre ordered @ Handtec can confirm which model(s) they are selling.

This topic might clear things up for you:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2117909

Last edited:

xiFIL

Jul 11, 2012
I think that the "ET964" is Handtec's own serial number. I Google'd the serial number and the only site that connected "ET964" with the XZ was Handtec.
There is a difference between the 3 models you mentioned, for example 1 or more use different LTE bands then the States so I guess that one wouldn't work for you (Talking about the LTE)

It should work just fine on your T-mobile network(Don't hold my word for it), when you buy the correct version.

(Maybe someone who already pre ordered @ Handtec can confirm which model(s) they are selling.

This topic might clear things up for you:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2117909
Handtec are selling the C6603 model which is the LTE European model! The C6602 model is what your looking for, if you want it to work in the US with Tmobiles network! Also yes the ET964 is handtecs internal ID!

Reactions: Dsteppa

Spectre51

Here are questions nobody is asking :
I live in USofA and have prepaid tmobile .
I called sony store and they say Europe is always few steps ahead with cellphones
and I would save big to order from there ,
Handtec uk sells them for 414 Sterling Pounds + Shipping should cost less than 700$

C6606 will work with T-Mobile and AT&T LTE.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

The Xperia Z/ZL has a White Balance setting. Not contrast/brightness, but saturation/hue.

Don't see the white balance setting on the C6602 I am using. Did have it on the ZL though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2wrfb6v.png

Intro
    Hello there people, I decided that I/we should have a topic specially for those who want to buy the Xperia Z or want to know certain things.
    The forum (Xperia Z section) will grow and grow because more and more people will buy the phone and many of them will have the same questions, so to prevent them for making the same topic over and over, they can find their answers in here.
    I'm just going to make a q&a( question and answer) list so that some things can be cleared up for the people that are still in doubt.
    Everyone is free to post some questions (and answers) in this topic, I will edit them in the first post.

Hardware Q&A
    Software Q&A
    Accessories, Etc Q&A

Hardware Q&A

Q: Is the Xperia Z water resistant or water proof?
    A: The phone is water proof, you can hold it under water (1 meter/ +- 3feet) for 30minutes.
    Although its not advised that you hold the phone in water that contains acids like sea water which contains salt.

Q: Does the touch screen still works while it's under water?
    A: The touch screen doesn't work while the phone is fully under water, so the touch screen will work while you're taking a shower, as long as there aren't too many drops on the screen. The screen itself will keep working so watching a movie for example shouldn't be a problem.

A: Yes it does [Confirmed] (Thanks to: hush66 )
    Source: Click!

A: Yes, in the upper right corner. "It works for notifications (SMS, Whatsapp, etc) as well as charging indicator."[Confirmed] (Thanks to: hush66 )

Q: Does this phone support 4g?
    A: Yes it does [Confirmed]
    Version C6603 supports 4G LTE
    Version C6602 HSPA+ only
    (Thanks to: SmallsXD)

Q: What LTE bands are supported?
    A: LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 - C6603 (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20 (Depends on your country))

Q: Is it possible to disable the LTE option to save battery? (Question by: Flaaamp)
    A: Yes you can disable LTE(But if it will save some battery life is debatable) (Thanks to: xiFIL )

Q: How many mega pixels does the camera has?
    A: 13.1 Mega pixels, but when using the superior auto mode you can only use 12 mega pixels(Thanks to: hush66 /xiFIL )

Q: What is the capacity of the battery?
    A: 2330mAh

Q: Is the battery removable??
    A: No it's not:( It's said that Sony will replace your battery for you for free.

Q: The display isn't IPS right?
    A: Yes it is! For more details see the specific topic: Click

Q: What kind of sim card can I use for this phone?(Question by: mirco_p)
    A: Micro-Sim (Thanks to: -]Megacharge[- and Ambroos)

Q: What are the phone's dimensions??
    A: 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm(5.47 x 2.79 x 0.31 inches)

Q: How much does the phone weigh?
    A: 146 grams(5.15 oz)

Q: Does the phone have a dedicated camera button?(Question by: jacksonj51)
    A: No it does not.(The Xperia ZL does though)

Q: HELP!! My speaker volume is low after I put the phone in water:(
    A: That's normal, it's advised to let the speaker dry for about 1-3 hours before it returns back to normal.

Note: I will add a lot more questions AND answers later.
    If someone has the answer to one of the questions, you're welcome to post them of course!
    Software Q&A

Q: Will this phone get an update to Android 5??
    A: Time will tell (Or Sony)

Q: Can you use secret codes like: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20750699&postcount=72 ???
    A:Yes the secret codes work, but they are phone specific. So for example secret codes for the Xperia T might not work for the Xperia Z. (Thanks to: hush66 )

Q: What is stamina mode?
    A: "With Battery STAMINA Mode you have more intelligent battery management and can easily improve your standby time by four times or more. Your phone knows when you’re screen is off and shuts down the battery-draining apps you don’t need, then starts them up again when the screen is back on."

Q: Can you change the screen settings? (e.g. Contrast) (Question by: Gitaroo)
    A: "The Xperia Z/ZL has a White Balance setting. Not contrast/brightness, but saturation/hue" (Thanks to: REAVER117)

Q: What is the superior auto mode?
    A: "Superior auto mode shoots multiple shots of the same scene in rapid sequence. It then creates the best single picture as a composite."(Thanks to: grtmoby )

Q: I lost the preinstalled photo's/videos, how can I get them back?
    A: You can get them back by downloading these files:
    Photo's: http://www.mediafire.com/?h0d300bpep95jps
    Video's: http://www.mediafire.com/?wn6ej93bo4z4o8c

Q: How do I reboot the phone?
    A: Hold the power button and the volume up button for a few seconds.

Q: My notification LED doesn't work... how can I fix this?
    A: Many people fixed the issue by doing a factory reset: Settings > Backup & reset.
    Mine worked after I did a factory reset twice, after you did a factory reset during the setup don't sync the phone. Install all your apps first and set up your wifi manually, after you did that you can turn on sync.

Q: Can I use the volume/power button(s) to make a picture?
    A: By default you can't, but you can use 3rd party apps to map your buttons to do so.
    Here are 2 apps that can do so:
    CameraPro
    Camera ZOOOM fx
    Accessories, Etc Q&A

Q: Since the phone is water proof how will the warranty system work?
    A:

Q: Is there a dock included when I buy the phone?
    A: Depends on the country you order it from

Q: Why do so many people want the dock?
    A: The main reason why most people want the dock is to prevent opening opening the flaps each time.(Opening the flaps too many times might decrease the water resistance)

Q: Oleophobic coating? What's that?
    A: Source: Wikipedia. A lipophobic coating is used on the touchscreens of Apple's iPhones since the 3GS, their iPads, Nokia's N9 and Lumia devices, various Samsung phones such as the Google Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, the HTC HD2, Hero and Flyer and many other phones to repel fingerprint oil, which aids in preventing and cleaning fingerprint marks.

Q: So does this phone have oleophobic coating?
    A: The screen protector which comes with the phone does, the glass screen itself doesn't. (Still needs to be confirmed)

Q: I heard the phone already comes with a screenprotector?
    A: Yes the phone comes with a shatter-proof protector.

Q: Why is that?
    A: To prevent the screen from breaking into pieces when it falls.

Q: Should I remove it?
    A: Sony advices against removing the protector. They advice you to install another protector over the Shatter-proof sheet.
    Please note that when you decide to remove the protector, you will also lose the Sony logo on the front of the screen.

Q: Can anyone explain to me why Xperia Z is waterproof for only up to 30 minutes? I mean, if it can be in water for 30 minutes without any damage, why can't it be more? What happens after 30 minutes?(Question by: xx77aBs)
    A: "It will likely survive beyond 30 minutes, but the level 7 liquid IP tests only certify to 30min for 1m submersion. I think the 30min time is just stated due to the certification." (Thanks to: flamingsamurai)
    Should specify the models in the 4G question

C6603 supports 4G lte, C6602 HSPA+ only
    A: (Still needs to be confirmed)

I can confirm that it does.

A: Yes[Confirmed] (Upper right side of the phone??)

Yes, it's on the top right. It works for notifications (SMS, Whatsapp, etc) as well as charging indicator.

A:

Those are Galaxy codes, not Xperia ones. So most of them won't work. Anyways, I can confirm that the Xperia service menu code (*#* #7378423#*#*) works. IMEI number code (*#06#) works as well.