[Q] HTC One (T-Mobile) "Service State: Radio Off"

Search This thread

lhuge

Feb 28, 2012
Hi - I'm a semi-noob with this phone and Android in general (long-time iPhone JB'er finally saw the light), so sorry for any ignorance/stupidity in what follows...

HTC One, on T-Mobile
Android 4.3 SW# 3.24.531.3
Baseband vsn: 4A.21.3263.03_10.38m.1157.04L
Rooted, Unlocked, S-OFF

I was traveling on St Martin (French Caribbean) where T-Mobile gives free data roaming, so I turned on roaming and everything was fine - cell service, cell data, wifi all clearly working properly. After several days, I noticed no cell service or 3G indicator, but my wife's T-Mobile iPhone had full bars and 3G service. I waited a while, and (I *believe*) data & cell service came back on once for a while, but then failed again and have not returned to health since then (it's been about a week). Wifi works fine. When I tried to find a signal I would get "Error Searching for Networks". I thought maybe it had to do with roaming, but when I returned home (USA) I still had no cell signal/data.

I've tried rebooting, turning Data roaming on and off, Airplane mode on and off, all choices of Network mode, power off for a long time while charging, a couple other more obscure suggestions that I can't remember. I have not tried reverting to Stock or flashing a radio.

In poking around in settings:
IMEI: [normal] (this is different from several other people reporting similar problems)
Network Mode: GSM / WCDMA / LTE Auto

Operator: Unknown
Signal Strength: 0
Mobile network type: Unknown
Service State: Radio Off
Roaming: Not roaming

I've seen several posts here and on Android Forums with similar problems, but never quite a match - always a different phone and/or they are now missing their IMEI, which is not true for me and seems significant.

I never dropped the phone in water or anything, but I was traveling and it's possible it got more humidity than normal (one thread suggested water damage as a likely culprit).

Is there anything for me to do before (A) flashing a radio, (B) returning it to stock, (C) taking it to T-Mobile and hoping they'll fix it (still under warranty)? I haven't flashed a radio before, but it sounds like it's straightforward - if you have any suggestions, let me know.

I have an OTA update available to 4.4.2 - is it likely that would help me? And if I do that how much damage control will I have to do to get back to rooted/unlocked/S-OFF status?

Someone with a different phone said they removed their battery for a couple of hours and all was fine, but I'm scared to try to remove my battery, especially if I might have to take it for warranty repair.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide, and let me know if I should post any more info...
-lhuge

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
HTC One, on T-Mobile
Rooted, Unlocked, S-OFF

"Error Searching for Networks". I thought maybe it had to do with roaming, but when I returned home (USA) I still had no cell signal/data.

I've tried rebooting, turning Data roaming on and off, Airplane mode on and off, all choices of Network mode, power off for a long time while charging, a couple other more obscure suggestions that I can't remember. I have not tried reverting to Stock or flashing a radio.

IMEI: [normal] (this is different from several other people reporting similar problems)

Is there anything for me to do before (A) flashing a radio, (B) returning it to stock, (C) taking it to T-Mobile and hoping they'll fix it (still under warranty)? I haven't flashed a radio before, but it sounds like it's straightforward - if you have any suggestions, let me know.
Have you tried to switch on radio manually? Dial *#*#4636#*#* ---> phone info ---> there is a switch to turn on/off radio

I have an OTA update available to 4.4.2 - is it likely that would help me? And if I do that how much damage control will I have to do to get back to rooted/unlocked/S-OFF status?
OTA update won't affect bootloader (unlocked and S-OFF). You might loose root but you can re-root after the update. Don't forget you need stock recovery to update. If you are going to send your phone for repair, you'll have to S-ON, remove tampered flag and Lock (no re-lock) the bootloader or your warranty will be invalid. You can only s-on on hboot 1.44 or 1.54 so you'll have to downgrade first.

Someone with a different phone said they removed their battery for a couple of hours and all was fine, but I'm scared to try to remove my battery, especially if I might have to take it for warranty repair.
Do not attempt to remove the battery yourself on the M7, bad idea if you are planning to send the phone under warranty.

Reactions: lhuge

lhuge

Feb 28, 2012
[SOLVED]

Have you tried to switch on radio manually? Dial *#*#4636#*#* ---> phone info ---> there is a switch to turn on/off radio

Oh my freaking gawd, thank you. It actually didn't work at first - the button just read "turn off radio" (as if it was currently on), and tapping it didn't seem to cause any change. Kind of on a whim, I changed "preferred network type" from "WCDMA preferred" to "LTE Only", went out to settings to see if anything had changed, turned off WiFi, came back to the phone info page, clicked "turn radio off" again, and then I noticed that numbers on the screen were moving, and I had 4G/LTE and full bars again. I've switched back to "WCDMA preferred" and everything seems fine, but I don't know whether that's the right choice out of a long list of options - it's just what was there to start with.

I feel silly that it was so simple, but I didn't know about that testing screen. Thanks a ton.

Do not attempt to remove the battery yourself on the M7, bad idea if you are planning to send the phone under warranty.

Roger that, fears confirmed. Thanks again

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Oh my freaking gawd, thank you. It actually didn't work at first - the button just read "turn off radio" (as if it was currently on), and tapping it didn't seem to cause any change. Kind of on a whim, I changed "preferred network type" from "WCDMA preferred" to "LTE Only", went out to settings to see if anything had changed, turned off WiFi, came back to the phone info page, clicked "turn radio off" again, and then I noticed that numbers on the screen were moving, and I had 4G/LTE and full bars again. I've switched back to "WCDMA preferred" and everything seems fine, but I don't know whether that's the right choice out of a long list of options - it's just what was there to start with.

I feel silly that it was so simple, but I didn't know about that testing screen. Thanks a ton.

better to set it to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto.

Reactions: lhuge

MorphaCzech

Oct 24, 2015
HTC One M7 no signal after upgrade Lollipop 5.0.2

Pls help. No signal. Tried phone info-->radio-off/on, switch to gsm only, WCDMA....all - NOK :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC One, on T-Mobile
    Rooted, Unlocked, S-OFF

"Error Searching for Networks". I thought maybe it had to do with roaming, but when I returned home (USA) I still had no cell signal/data.

OTA update won't affect bootloader (unlocked and S-OFF). You might loose root but you can re-root after the update. Don't forget you need stock recovery to update. If you are going to send your phone for repair, you'll have to S-ON, remove tampered flag and Lock (no re-lock) the bootloader or your warranty will be invalid. You can only s-on on hboot 1.44 or 1.54 so you'll have to downgrade first.

better to set it to GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto.