Who did NOT put on a screen protector?

Search This thread

HotShotAzn

Oct 23, 2007
I haven't put one on mine (yet). I have a case that does cover the screen, but who knows something will slide in between and rub up against the screen.

That being said, who HASN'T put on a screen protector and doesn't plan to? I'm kind of against them because not only do I struggle with putting them on, I always find some imperfections (which drives me bonkers).

Caesarg

Nov 19, 2010
Just got mine two days ago. Rooted it. Loaded apps. Lovin it and finally, to get to your question, no I have not and don't plan on getting one. Never use them on phones so I don't plan on starting. I really don't think they are needed and I also think they degrade the screen performance. I could be wrong but JMO.

Reactions: rumitg2

ironcrotch

Dec 18, 2009
Portland
I haven't put one on, have thought about it but since I got my case haven't found the need. I just give it a good wipe of my microfiber cloth once in a while.

MkFly

Dec 28, 2010
I bought some, but putting it on became quite a hassle. I touched the sticky side of one putting a nice fingerprint on it (arg), and I can NEVER get all of the dust / air-bubbles out, so it ends up just driving me nuts.

I ended up trashing them.

rainmakerrc

Oct 26, 2007
Atlanta, GA, USA
If you buy the screen protectors at a B&N store, they will install for you at no extra charge. Plus you get a microfiber cloth. I haven't noticed any degrade in screen performance.

swest6602

Dec 18, 2009
Central MA
I put the anti-glare screen protector on the day I got my NC. I've been happy with it and the anti-glare version goes on incrediblincredibly easy as it's a bit thicker than the regular kind. Just thought I'd share for those of you who want one but hate putting them on.

msid

Dec 1, 2010
I bought some, but putting it on became quite a hassle. I touched the sticky side of one putting a nice fingerprint on it (arg), and I can NEVER get all of the dust / air-bubbles out, so it ends up just driving me nuts.

I did the exact same thing.

spikey911

Jan 14, 2008
I did not have one on mine as I plan on trying to exchange it again, but I bought a screen protector for a laptop from $5 Below and cut it to fit..
Works nicely :)

HotShotAzn

Oct 23, 2007
While I know B&N would put one on for me, I have other things to spend the $15 (or so) dollars on. Plus there's no guarantee the person there will install it to meet my OCDness.

I put the anti-glare screen protector on the day I got my NC. I've been happy with it and the anti-glare version goes on incrediblincredibly easy as it's a bit thicker than the regular kind. Just thought I'd share for those of you who want one but hate putting them on.

Same here, I put mine on about 15 minutes after opening it. Haven't had any problems. I used the water/baby shampoo spray with it that came with my BodyGaurdz for my phone and it went on without any problems. Within 20 minutes all the water was gone and the protector wasn't even noticeable

techboydino

Aug 31, 2009
Southeast, Pa

I feel that Im pretty good at putting them on. I use the dry install type like Realook for all my phones and the B&N anti glare for the NC. This is what I do if you ever want to give it a try. Make sure everything is laid out and ready. Turns fans off if your room has one, close windows, etc..

1. Wash your hands throughly, important that all oil comes off
  2. Spray the air with some sort of cleaner. My favorite is Monster Cable LCD TV cleaner
  3. Clean the device with cleaner and microfiber cloth
  4. Spray air again around your area you are working, wait a few secs for it to fall from air
  5. Remove a very small portion of the backing enough to line up the entire bottom edge of protector
  6. with protector lined up, use a credit card or squeegee to push protector on while backing automatically comes off all the way up.

this leaves minimal bubble and works for me almost every single time. your hands really never touch any sticky side and when you slide the squeegee up it automatically removes the backing for you. I have yet to trash a protector and have to get another. if you have dust, then carefully pull back and use a toothpick to get the dust particle off and reapply. Hope this helps someone. :D

Reactions: MkFly

samster786

Apr 26, 2008
ARIZONA
i bought this tablet over other comparable android tabs (gtab, archos, etc) due to its beautiful screen. no way im putting a screen protector over it. i use one on my phone, but only because it travels in my pocket.

t140568

Jun 6, 2009
Morris, IL
www.timardan.com
I bought the anti-glare protector from B&N. I used a microfiber cloth thing that came with this windshield cleaning kit I got for Christmas to clean the screen and went over it a few times with the supplied cloth to remove dust. I was able to apply the protector without trapping a single air bubble, piece of lint, fingerprint or anything else. While it hasn't done much for reducing glare, it has helped tremendously with fingerprint grease and in reducing the friction between my finger and the screen.

Sent from my NookColor via the XDA app.

gtriever

Jan 8, 2009
W. KY
I bought the anti-glare protector from B&N. I used a microfiber cloth thing that came with this windshield cleaning kit I got for Christmas to clean the screen and went over it a few times with the supplied cloth to remove dust. I was able to apply the protector without trapping a single air bubble, piece of lint, fingerprint or anything else. While it hasn't done much for reducing glare, it has helped tremendously with fingerprint grease and in reducing the friction between my finger and the screen.

Sent from my NookColor via the XDA app.

This sums up my experience as well. It's worth it just for the fingerprint protection.

wmadan

Feb 11, 2006
I feel that Im pretty good at putting them on. I use the dry install type like Realook for all my phones and the B&N anti glare for the NC. This is what I do if you ever want to give it a try. Make sure everything is laid out and ready. Turns fans off if your room has one, close windows, etc..

2. Spray the air with some sort of cleaner. My favorite is Monster Cable LCD TV cleaner
  4. Spray air again around your area you are working, wait a few secs for it to fall from air
  5. Remove a very small portion of the backing enough to line up the entire bottom edge of protector
  6. with protector lined up, use a credit card or squeegee to push protector on while backing automatically comes off all the way up.

this leaves minimal bubble and works for me almost every single time. your hands really never touch any sticky side and when you slide the squeegee up it automatically removes the backing for you. I have yet to trash a protector and have to get another. if you have dust, then carefully pull back and use a toothpick to get the dust particle off and reapply. Hope this helps someone. :D

I have learned that going in the bathroom, turning on the shower and allowing the steam to take the dust out of the air is the only way to ensure that there are no air bubbles.

I also have nearby some scotch tape so that if there is a speck of dust or lint, I can apply the tap to the sticky side of the screen protector without getting my fingerprints all over it.

MkFly

Dec 28, 2010

Thanks, I think I might have to have another go at it. :)

rswain64

Oct 10, 2010
Panama City
Been naked on 4 previous smart phones. Currently naked on DroidX, Viewsonic Gtab and Nook color. Haven't had any problems with any of the devices.

C

cruxx

My phones i usually put one on there because i put it in and out of pocket but Nook color is also naked for me besides a Hard case snap cover I got off eBay.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got mine two days ago. Rooted it. Loaded apps. Lovin it and finally, to get to your question, no I have not and don't plan on getting one. Never use them on phones so I don't plan on starting. I really don't think they are needed and I also think they degrade the screen performance. I could be wrong but JMO.
    I haven't and i don't plan to.

Sent from my nook COLOR.

I put the screen protector on my wifes nook but held off on putting it on my own. Reason being is that her screen looks "grainy" now to me and is not as crisp as it was without the protector.

It may have just been my clumbsy installation though because I did place it and remove it a few times before I got out all the bubbles.

But other than cutting down on "finger grease" the "protector" isn't needed. It'd take a whole lot of neglect to mess up the glass on the nook color. I prefer my electronics au natural.

That's my .02 any way.
    Having used my fair share of screen protectors (BestSkinsEver on Blackberries, PhantomSkinz/InvisibleShield on Pre, Boxwave/SGP on Evo, and now the BN.com anti-glare on my Nook), here are some general installation tips (note that the static application methods are far superior IMHO to the liquid based ones):

1. Do it in your bathroom. Turn the shower on and get the room decently steamy (but not too much!). Wipe down the screen with a microfiber cloth and use an air duster to make sure any random dust/lint particles are gone.
    2. Get a roll of scotch tape. Lay down about 3-4 pieces sticky side up, stuck together like a raft. This is your "oh my god I totally screwed up that application" tool, like if you dropped the screen sticky side down or a gust of lint particles happens to get into the gap right before your press down.
    3. Tear off another piece, fold it around to double side it, and slip it around your finger. Repeat for other index finger. This is your "application" tool that you can use to touch the exterior of the screen protector (which keeps your grubby hands off the sticky side!).
    4. Using the tape on your index fingers, line up the screen protector (with the backing removed) with where you want it to go. If you're awesome, you just finished with no air bubbles / lint! Good job! Unfortunately, this is pretty much never going to be perfect the first time around.
    5. At this point, you probably have a few bubbles around. ID the ones that aren't because of lint/dust. For these, I use a soft plastic card (like a best buy / cvs rewards card) on top of my microfiber cloth to push out the bubbles.
    6. Now to tackle the lint/dist. Using a piece of scotch tape, lift up the sides/corners of the areas that need some loving. Use a piece of tape wrapped around your finger to dab at the lint/dust spots that you see. Keep the air duster / cloth handy in case some pieces fall down onto the screen. Rinse/repeat. If you ever screw up so badly that you feel like you should start over, pull the whole thing off and use the scotch tape raft you made to clean off the whole sticky side.
    7. Stop being so OCD and enjoy your protected device!

That being said, the BN anti-glare isn't as good as an SGP anti-glare, but it's better than the random ones I tried from eBay.