[KERNEL][3.0.40][08/14][OC/OV/UV/BFQ/SIO/smartassV2] zaventh R3

Search This thread

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
Hello. This is a kernel I've made for the T999 to learn more about kernels and also to enable some features that I wanted. I built it on top of Romanbb's Adama 003 kernel, so please go thank him there.

My philosophy is to build a stable kernel that is tuned for real-world performance and not benchmarks. I have been running this kernel for a while now with great success, but as usual I can't be responsible for anything that happens to your device.

Features

• Insecure
  • Patched adbd
  • init.d support
  • OC to 1.89Ghz
  • L2 Overclock
  • UV/OV
  • Add smartassv2, interactive, and conservative governors
  • BFQ,SIO schedulers
  • Patched up from 3.0.8 to 3.0.40
  • TCP proportional rate reduction
  • ARM topology support
  • Enable RCU_BOOST
  • IPv6 privacy support
  • NTFS/TUN module support
  • thermald tweaks

New in R3

• SIO scheduler
  • Patched from 3.0.36 to 3.0.40
  • Insecure adbd binary (adb remount command now works)
  • Default scripts now executed before init.d scripts

Notes
  • Samsung's proprietary exFAT modules will not work with this kernel. Make sure your SD card is FAT32 or EXT4.
  • Please don't flash this if you don't know exactly what you're doing as I'm too lazy to include n00b instructions.
  • You should already be rooted and have busybox installed into /system/xbin before flashing this kernel. As always, wipe all caches after flashing.
  • I recommend tuning cpufreq with init.d scripts instead of apps.

Credits
Thanks to Romanbb for the initial kernel including OC/UV/OC hacks. Go thank the guy.

Screens
8Px55.png
sbeFB.png
vIdEK.png

Source
https://github.com/zaventh/kernel_sgh-t999

Blog post
http://www.jeffmixon.com/custom-galaxy-s3-kernel-zaventh-r3-released/

Download
*see below*
kernel_3.0.40-rel3-zaventh-repack.zip
SHA1: f2f4b2873d0a3842ea25471c4339c1de40b4bf0a

Cheers.

Attachments

• kernel_3.0.40-rel3-zaventh-repack.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 1,323
Last edited:

lynkdead

Aug 16, 2010
Possibly a stupid question: Will this work with AOSP based ROMs or only Stock/TouchWiz ROMs?

capcanuck

May 3, 2011
Everything's good on this end.. I've been waiting for a kernel with smartass.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Wierd, my phone went nuts with phone.process fcs and system ui fcs, had to go back to my old kernel...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

jgrimberg1979

May 16, 2010
D.C
This should work on all US sgs3 variants, in particularly att correct?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
This should work on all US sgs3 variants, in particularly att correct?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

No, this is T999 (TMO) only. It is my understanding that the I747 variant in particular is only minutely different, but they are not interchangeable. I'd compile a version targeting the I747, but it looks like you guys already have a nice kernel with most of these features.

-Z

pakraider

May 12, 2010
Great work zaventh! :)

Is it possible to add the 2-way call recording patch to the kernel to use skvalex's call recording app? It's supposed to work on Snapdragons, so our T-Mo SGS3 should be compatible..

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
External SD card not mounting using this kernel. Anyone else?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this kernel does not have exFAT/FAT64 support. The exFAT modules are proprietary Samsung modules and they can't release the source due to Microsoft's licensing scheme. I tried force loading them, but they still fail. You'll need to use FAT32 or ext4, etc.

Great work zaventh! :)

Is it possible to add the 2-way call recording patch to the kernel to use skvalex's call recording app? It's supposed to work on Snapdragons, so our T-Mo SGS3 should be compatible..

I can check it out. Got a link to the patch?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this kernel does not have exFAT/FAT64 support. The exFAT modules are proprietary Samsung modules and they can't release the source due to Microsoft's licensing scheme. I tried force loading them, but they still fail. You'll need to use FAT32 or ext4, etc.

How is it that adama kernel allows exfat?

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. This is a kernel I've made for the T999 to learn more about kernels and also to enable some features that I wanted. I built it on top of Romanbb's Adama 003 kernel, so please go thank him there.

My philosophy is to build a stable kernel that is tuned for real-world performance and not benchmarks. I have been running this kernel for a while now with great success, but as usual I can't be responsible for anything that happens to your device.

Features

• Insecure
    • Patched adbd
    • init.d support
    • OC to 1.89Ghz
    • L2 Overclock
    • UV/OV
    • Add smartassv2, interactive, and conservative governors
    • BFQ,SIO schedulers
    • Patched up from 3.0.8 to 3.0.40
    • TCP proportional rate reduction
    • ARM topology support
    • Enable RCU_BOOST
    • IPv6 privacy support
    • NTFS/TUN module support
    • thermald tweaks

New in R3

• SIO scheduler
    • Patched from 3.0.36 to 3.0.40
    • Insecure adbd binary (adb remount command now works)
    • Default scripts now executed before init.d scripts

Notes
    • Samsung's proprietary exFAT modules will not work with this kernel. Make sure your SD card is FAT32 or EXT4.
    • Please don't flash this if you don't know exactly what you're doing as I'm too lazy to include n00b instructions.
    • You should already be rooted and have busybox installed into /system/xbin before flashing this kernel. As always, wipe all caches after flashing.
    • I recommend tuning cpufreq with init.d scripts instead of apps.

Credits
    Thanks to Romanbb for the initial kernel including OC/UV/OC hacks. Go thank the guy.

Screens
    8Px55.png
    sbeFB.png
    vIdEK.png

Source
    https://github.com/zaventh/kernel_sgh-t999

Blog post
    http://www.jeffmixon.com/custom-galaxy-s3-kernel-zaventh-r3-released/

Download
    *see below*
    kernel_3.0.40-rel3-zaventh-repack.zip
    SHA1: f2f4b2873d0a3842ea25471c4339c1de40b4bf0a

Cheers.
    Release R3 is up. Enjoy.
    If people are still interested in updates to this kernel, let me know. I've been running my own modified version of CM10/JB for a while, but I'm getting tired of the bugs so I will probably be back on modified stock soon. I'm not too interested in "competing" with the more popular kernel devs, but if this kernel still offers something those don't, then I suppose I'll release some more updates.
    finally decided to give this kernel a try because all i have been using is trinity kernel.. and with this kernel my phone starts heating up with just a couple of minutes of use, even if i am just typing a text. weird.

I just realized without any init.d scripts or using System Tuner, etc. app the fallback configuration is to run at 1.89ghz on performance governor... heh. Just fixed that in the next release. You can use System Tuner to set up the scaling to whatever you prefer and have it set on boot for now.
    What is "smartass"?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Smartass is like the ondemand governor on crack. Lol. :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium