[Info][WIP] LET's FIGURE OUT the sleep of Death!!!! [NOT A ROM]

Search This thread

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
What do you mean by 'sane image' and 'franken-file'?
The franken-file was bits and pieces of the update blobs and other pieces of system images. I was trying to get a 8656 boot/recovery with an 3.2 system image. These all match in theory, but the system image came from a different nvflash batch.

The sane version is where the boot/recovery/bootloader all came from the same blob and I flashed the system via CWM.

There is something odd about the 3.2 OTA. I flashed back to stock 8239, but I couldn't flash the OTA, after sequentially upgrading. I think the fingerprint is off and the OTA hangs on the file checks.

I think my SOD's were caused by bad flashes, but that doesn't explain the SODs on stock systems.

msticninja

Mar 16, 2007
I had a few SODs a month ago. On the stock 7/11 FW, it seemed to be the "wifi scanning in nomadic situations" bug, same as my Archos. After a few of them in rapid succession, it seemed to go away.

On Prime 1.6, I had a couple SODs when I was using CIFS, and I set the CIFS mountpoint to /sdcard/Network. This meant that the stock Gallery indexer was trying to index all my network content. Once I moved the mountpoint to /Network, it stopped indexing, deleted about 500,000 media file entries, and never SODed again.

Sememmon

Oct 8, 2009
Has any progress been made on this? I am still having issues with random SoD's and am currently in discussion with Asus tech support about the issue.

-s

Popsiclestand

Dec 8, 2010
Culver City, CA
I get sleep of death every single time my tablet goes to sleep while it is connected to the dock. Without fail it will power off. Rooted or unrooted. Stock or other ROM. Battery saver checked or unchecked. It is really annoying because now I can't really use my dock with my tablet because each time I close it or accidentally let it fall to sleep it will power down.

After calling Asus over 6 times, I finally convinced them to send me a FedEx label as I had already RMA'd the tablet once and the dock once for other issues.

Beyond the fact that they seem to break something everytime you send it in for repair, the tablet works great!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Gwartan

Mar 14, 2006
Pittsburgh
I get sleep of death every single time my tablet goes to sleep while it is connected to the dock. Without fail it will power off. Rooted or unrooted. Stock or other ROM. Battery saver checked or unchecked. It is really annoying because now I can't really use my dock with my tablet because each time I close it or accidentally let it fall to sleep it will power down.

After calling Asus over 6 times, I finally convinced them to send me a FedEx label as I had already RMA'd the tablet once and the dock once for other issues.

Beyond the fact that they seem to break something everytime you send it in for repair, the tablet works great!

I'm having the exact same problem. out of the dock the tablet works fine, goes to sleep, wakes up. Once I attach the dock and let it fall asleep I have to hard power it down to use it again. Dam thing will even power itself back on when I know I turned it off before closing it and putting it in my bag.

Popsiclestand

Dec 8, 2010
Culver City, CA
I'm having the exact same problem. out of the dock the tablet works fine, goes to sleep, wakes up. Once I attach the dock and let it fall asleep I have to hard power it down to use it again. Dam thing will even power itself back on when I know I turned it off before closing it and putting it in my bag.

I don't know if you've been able to solve your problem yet, but after trying many many different kernels I installed Blades 8-24-11 kernel and it seems my problems are solved. I am also running the latest version of revolver. Been using my tablet all day with the dock. Put it to sleep countless times, closed the lid and it sprang back to life each time. The dock is now completely discharged and I am only using it for the keyboard function and still no problems (before I had noticed that if the dock got down to about 20% I would start to have very frequent shutdowns even while I was using the tablet).

It looks like my problems solved. Hope this combination can work for you too.

kino13

Aug 12, 2009
Does anyone have a method to wake up from the SOD?

My tablet just keeps hanging up and going into SOD and I have no idea how to start it up again.

I have done everything in no specific order:
hold power button
hold power button+volume down
insert card
connect power
connect docking
repeat and rinse

It always ends up starting up, but I have no idea how...

The tabled had this problem since day 1, before AND after rooting, so I do not know what to think about it. I am seriously thinking in return it to the shop.

When it works is just perfect, but most of the time is just SOD.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
Did you o/c i found mine got in boot loop then sod then boot loop when o/c was to high so reflashed kernel and its fine now

Also had a wierd one where the light sensor was constantly re adjusting untill it crashed it wasn't noticeable untill i looked at ram dump hasn't happened since

Sent from my tf101 using xda premium 1.4ghz
3v3g985

kino13

Aug 12, 2009
Didn't overclock or anything.

The thing is, the tablet is now in front of me, dead. What do you guys do in this case? the power button for 10 seconds, wait, and then the start up does nothing in my case, do you always just wake it up that way? Because if that's the case, mine goes to RMA faster than light...

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
Didn't overclock or anything.

The thing is, the tablet is now in front of me, dead. What do you guys do in this case? the power button for 10 seconds, wait, and then the start up does nothing in my case, do you always just wake it up that way? Because if that's the case, mine goes to RMA faster than light...

You stated you had rooted it so a rma just yet probably would not be a good idea

Have you tried the same thing while plugged into adb to see if its just the screen?

If you can get the pc to read it and it is the screen you can blind flash it back to stock then rma it.

Sent from my tf101 using xda premium 1.4ghz
3v3g985

kino13

Aug 12, 2009
Thanks for the answers, but I finally decided to return the unit.

I "nvflashed" the original rom in one of the times I got it to start up (took me five hours! to start, 10 minutes to flash), made sure all my data was deleted (twice!), and returned the unit.

Next day I got a call from the shop to go take a new one, they could not even pass the point of setting up an account.

On that question, yes, I tried to log on ADB whne it was blacked out without success, but the unit was faulty, it was not normal at all that level of inestability.

I got a new unit, I rooted it the moment I arrived home, put the latest prime, installed Klemsin kernel, and finally installed setcpu and LOCKED it to 1000Mh, yes, NOT overclocked (didn't overclocked the previous unit either).

I have had NOT A SINGLE hang up of the unit. NOT ONE.

So, what have I learned from this? **** happens.

If you have an stock rom unit doing the idiot, maybe it's not you, you just got unlucky.

Thanks to everyone

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I hope it is an HW problem

I had a very frustrating SOD (in my case it was more a "SOR(eeboot)").

My 3.2.1 unrooted and recently formatted B6OKA unit in whatever condition (dock or not, wifi or not, lock screen enabled or not) was randomly reebooting also 5 times in one hour. The most of time it was wile in standby.
I lost the mood for fighting and trying alternative ROMS and/or kernels. :(

I've just opened the ticket for RMA and I'll update you about my experience with the new unit, that really can not be worse than my first days in the Android Tablet world!!

the.joeba

Nov 10, 2009
Im runnning Prime 2.1 on my TF and now stucked in the SOD as well. Sadly enough, pressing buttons in any combination does not wake the TF. But I'm connected to the TF via USB and can open a shell.

I'm getting some really really hard to wake from SODs. I've been able to get out of them eventually by just waiting a few hours then holding power and Vol Down and releasing Vol Down after about 5 seconds (I have no idea if that's even a thing).

I just got this off ebay, and may have to return it. It freezes up after a few minutes off use, and then goes into what appears to be the dreaded SOD.

JAnthony419

Jan 16, 2009
how do you get the logcat, I have this issue atbut least once a day so I can wipe mine and when it occurs again I can wordpad and post it here. But I need to know the procedure to do this.

gls9

Nov 13, 2011
how do you get the logcat, I have this issue atbut least once a day so I can wipe mine and when it occurs again I can wordpad and post it here. But I need to know the procedure to do this.

You can use adb for logcat, see here
But also in the market there are a lot of logcat viewers (search fort logcat)

chmilz

Aug 17, 2011
I used to have some SOD issues, but haven't had any in months. I do recall though that I only had SOD when screen lock setting was enabled, and I always used the pattern thing.

That said, power button is garbage and everything about the on/off system in the TF101 is disappointing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you combine the WIFI speculation with the Fancy Widget speculation you get:

periodic data usage while screen off.

IT COULD BE ASUS' WIDGET!!!

someone who gets them All the Time should try deleting their widget
    It really makes me a sad panda when people post stuff every day with stuff liek

No sleep death for me since 3.1
    Oh...I still get sleep death since 3.1

No sleep death when I use/don't use auto brightness
    Oh, I still get sleep when I use/don't use auto brightness

No sleep death when I sprinkle the blood of a virgin unicorn on my Transformer at night
    Oh...I still get sleep death when I sprinkle the blood of a virgin unicorn on my Transformer at night

If you want to see progress on this, please go back a few pages (posted about two weeks ago), see where I posted instructions on logging the kernel messages, and when you get a sleep death, POST A LINK to the output. If you guys just want to have a thread where you post random userspace tweaks that AREN'T going to work (or even if they did, you shouldn't accept that THAT is what you had to do to not get random shutdowns), you're more than welcome to, but it's really not going to get us anywhere.
    Does anyone have a logcat from their dead transformer, during/around the time when it died?

Has anyone noticed any trends in when it happens? I saw something about 82% battery but I think that's just a coincidence.

Please post here so we can get to the bottom of this.

Jcarrz1
    I think this is dev, unless it's a hardware issue. But hopefully we'll be able to discern that.
    Unrooted, getting about one or two of these a day depending...... seems to happen more if I've left it sleeping for an hour or more.
    Unrooted, getting about one or two of these a day depending...... seems to happen more if I've left it sleeping for an hour or more.

this could relate to wifi scanning as well. were you connected, and what are your current settings?

Thanks for participating everyone, so far there isn't a conclusive answer.

However, could someone install log collector from the market, and leave it there until the BlackSOD happens, and then upload the file? that would be super awesome. preferably someone who gets them all the time. if the last thing in the logcat is consistently wifi-related, then we're on to something.

is there any firmware version on which NOBODY has EVER had a BlackSOD? This could be worth looking in to as well.