Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
how much time does it supposed to last the unlock? i typed fastboot oem unlock and it is waiting for device, and waiting and waiting. latest tilapia i saw is 2.3.2.1. where can i find 2.3.3.0?

Waiting for device should only take a few seconds. You need to get the correct fastboot drivers and be booted into fastboot. Use the command "fastboot devices" to verify if it can see the device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

faust.deaconu

Jun 20, 2011
Bucharest
faust.swissgoldglobal.com
Try with sudo.
Works on 12.10

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

worked with sudo. but now can t make twrp permanent recovery. can t boot to recovery mode by presing volume up. i got into twrp recovery from bootloader menu but i can t "adb shell" or even "sudo adb shell". it says "insufficient permissions for device". i also tried to install cm10.1 from temporary twrp but instalation aborted.

Last edited:

andy034

Feb 4, 2011
Hyderabad
How do i update my recovery?

I used a nexus 7 toolkit by Mark skippen and installed cwm 6.0.1.9. i think this is a grouper cwm as I am unable to install 4.2.2 for tilapia using this. it is giving me an assert failure. Now that my bootloader is unlocked, should i still have to follow all the steps in OP? Or can I flash any file to get a tilapia recovery?
thanks

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
I used a nexus 7 toolkit by Mark skippen and installed cwm 6.0.1.9. i think this is a grouper cwm as I am unable to install 4.2.2 for tilapia using this. it is giving me an assert failure. Now that my bootloader is unlocked, should i still have to follow all the steps in OP? Or can I flash any file to get a tilapia recovery?
thanks

Wait...he still is installing grouper recovery? That should never have been happening in the first place. No wonder people are so down on tool kits. I hope he likes getting bug reports.

Flash recovery that is made for your device (the one is this thread will work fine.)

Edit: Did you uninstall any system apps?(Currents, Books, etc?) That will give you an assert failure even with tilapia recovery.

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I took a TWRP backup of my existing Nexus 7 3G (latest available official TWRP from Goo Manager on both devices) and restored it to the new one Google sent as a warranty replacement. It booted up and had all the apps, but was in a weird state where the home button didn't work and the quick settings didn't work from the upper right corner - which usually is the state that results from improperly skipping setup.

More confoundingly, all my apps were there but the app data had failed to restore properly. It remembered basics such as wi-fi settings, but all app data seemed to have been lost in translation.

Any idea why this would have happened?

I flashed both tabs to the latest CWM from ROM Manager and tried again. After hours of slow data transfer from one tab to the other, I finally restored the backup and it runs perfectly. Is there something wrong with TWRP?

I used compression and the data backup was split over 3 files due to its size.

compact2559

Dec 21, 2012
6.0.2.3 Touch .zip anyone?

Does anyone have a flashable zip of the 6.0.2.3 CWM Touch for TIlapia? Can't seem to see it in the thread

sgw99

Oct 13, 2010
Greets, I am a rookie N7-3G user (yes, tilapia) and immediately flashed CM10.1 last week ;)

I flashed recovery-CWM-tilapia-regular.img at first ... but the step "mv system/recovery-from-boot.p system/recovery-from-boot.bak" did not work for me as the file system/recovery-from-boot.p does not exist (checked again right now).

CM10.1 installed, works fine, I am on the nightly from 0525 now.

But when I use the CyanogenMod-Updater it does not flash the updates correctly ... it says "untrusted Package".

"E:failed to verify whole-file signature" etc.

The recovery is "CWM-based Recovery v6.0.2.1". I retried this several times already to avoid corrupt downloads and make sure that it pulls the latest nightly. Does anyone have a hint for me? Do I miss something?

Thanks, Stefan

UPDATE: solved by flashing/using openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-tilapia.img ... sorry for the noise, but maybe this posting helps someone else ;)

Last edited:

gtizon

Aug 14, 2011
Manila
Does anyone have the most updated cwm recovery in a zipfile? Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Jeez, good catch. The whole reason this thread was created was because I saw the various toolkits and "indexes" (why need an index I will never know, the list of threads is enough for me) were recommending and installing grouper recovery. Since there was no CM10.1 yet, and no TWRP for 4.2 yet, I patched and built CWM and TWRP myself. I knew that anyone who installed grouped recovery would have a pretty hard time uodatingnto a proper tilapia ROM, whenever they came out.

So this was them only place to get tilapia recovery, for nearly a month in TWRPs case. But now it is everywhere, I only leave it up because you never know who might need clear root instructions.

Google "tilapia recovery", rooters of the future, and get the most recent recovery.img. Then follow the OP. I will be closing this thread shortly

mateorod

Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
This was only in development because at the time it was the only working recovery for tilapia at all, and I believe it was the only TWRP for Android 4.2 anywhere, for the first month or so (until TWRP merged versions of my patches). Now Google search can get you any recovery for this device you want so thread is closed.

The only other reason to post here would be porting advice for later Android versions, which I would probably not see in time anyway.

If you need help rooting, read the OP and then if you have more problems/questions, post in Q&A. Thanks for the fish!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shinj1EVA reported that koush's web builder is now producing boo table CWM Touch images. I have built one and added it to the download page. I have not updated the regular CWM to 6.0.2.3 since there are no commits that affect how it works since I last built 6.0.2.1

12/20- All recoveries are functionally up to date as of this day.

I have seen most of the guides recommend flashing the 'grouper' recovery image. Don't do this. This is why your OTAs and update.zips are failing with 'Status 7'. Those zips have an assert check that ensures you are flashing your zips to the correct device. This is failing if you have a recovery image that was made for a different device.

Those assert checks are there for your protection and you should not get in the practice of working around them. Using grouper recovery.imgs is ill-advised and conceivably dangerous. The two devices differ in more respects than a simple assert check, including having different recovery.fstab files, which are used to make and configure recovery.

I have ported TWRP and compiled a CWM-based (Touch and non-touch) recovery image, made from CM10.1 tilapia source. You will need fastboot, at minimum, to write this recovery. To root, you will need the CWM-flashable zip of SuperSU by chainfire..

Instructions
    1. Boot into the bootloader (2 choices)
      • Turn the device on while pressing volume down; or
      • Code:
        adb reboot bootloader
    2. Unlock your bootloader
      • THIS WILL WIPE ALL OF YOUR DATA! No way around it...
      • Code:
        fastboot oem unlock
    3. With your Nexus 7 3G in the bootloader and connected to your computer through the usb cable:
      • replace recovery-CWM-tilapia-regular with the name of the recovery image you chose to download.
      • Code:
        fastboot flash recovery recovery-CWM-tilapia-regular.img
    4. To make CWM your permanent recovery: (this can, despite the warnings, be undone. Do it.)
      1. Boot into recovery mode by pressing 'vol up' and when the menu says 'recovery mode' press the power button.
      2. Mount system in the 'mounts' menu
      3. Code:
        adb shell
        mv system/recovery-from-boot.p system/recovery-from-boot.bak
        exit
    5. To Root (With /system still mounted):

• Code:
        adb push CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip /sdcard/
      • Flash the SuperSU zip in recovery ('Install' menu with TWRP or 'choose zip from sdcard' in CWM)
      • Reboot System

Congratulations, you now have the proper tilapia custom recovery and can flash roms and OTAs. Anytime you get a 'status 7' from now on, you know that rom was not made for your device. CWM will have instructions that gives you the option of preserving custom recovery and maintaining root.

• If you just want to boot into custom recovery instead of overwriting the stock or grouper recovery(playing fast and loose- keeping grouper recovery on-device for grouper roms, at least until devs add tilapia asserts to their updater-scripts), use
      Code:
      fastboot boot recovery recovery-CWM-tilapia-regular.img
    • If you want to keep tilapia recovery but have a grouper rom you want to try, you will have to change the updater-script of that rom. It takes two seconds. Look at the third post for instructions.

Downloads

Recovery (just pick one)
    CWM Recovery (Touch/Non-Touch) (6.0.2.1)
    TWRP 2.3.2.1

Root (Get the CWM flashable zip)
    SuperSU

ClockworkMod is the work of the estimable koush and TWRP is from the good men of Team Win.
    How to use grouper roms w/tilapia recovery
    • Use an archive manager like 7zip and open your rom without unzipping.
    • Open META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
    • Look for the line (usually the first) that says something like this:
    • Code:
      assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "grouper" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "grouper");
      [*]
    • Change 'grouper' to 'tilapia'
    • Save and flash!

Hopefully soon, devs will make two versions of their roms, although that may not happen until we finish porting the GSM stack. A solution for the meantime would be to edit the above assert to (off the top of my head):
    Code:
    assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "grouper" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "grouper") || (getprop("ro.product.device") == "tilapia" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "tilapia")
    For anything meant to service both devices. The devs should not be expecting users to run another device's recovery in my opinion, even if it is working. Because, as we know, it breaks other things, like OTAs and other update.zips.

My expectation would be that they will begin to build separate roms, as that is best practice and doesn't make use use the grouper fstab stuff. Not the most efficient use of bandwidth, I concede...

Sure. Is techerrata/Goo a non-working option for some people? I use it for a project that is has mostly international users and haven't had any complaints. What/where would be helpful to you?

Update: Since I am here...I will post CWM Touch eventually. CWM Touch still has closed source elements, so the only way I know of to compile it is to use koush's web builder. But the result of that build is not booting. I ported Touch by hand, but it is too buggy to release, something needs to be modified in the recovery.fstab, I guess.
    CWM 6.0.2.3 for Tilapia (Touch and non-touch)

Just built these from the last CM nightly. The touch build server seems to compile fine now as well.

Regular: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qaqjy9rtkb94sm2/recovery-cwm-tilapia-6.0.2.3.img
    Touch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjbysidf5y2ndzv/recovery-cwm-tilapia-6.0.2.3-touch.img
    TWRP is up...

I compiled a TWRP image for tilapia as well.

This actually took a little doing...my intention here was to simply compile some images, but since tilapia is only Android 4.2, and we don't have CM10.1 (officially), I actually endied up having to port TWRP whole cloth. This is compiled from TWRP source code, with a few tweaks.

There are a couple things about the port I would like to eventually tweak, I had to copy the sbin folder over by hand, and due to the intertwined nature of grouper/tilapia, settings derived from common files in the source code are named grouper still, (i.e. ueventd.grouper.rc instead of ueventd.tilapia.rc) but that is quibble stuff and may end up staying that way regardless, since many of the tilapia make files are merely pointers to the grouper files. It certainly doesn't hurt anything.

The TWRP image has been confirmed working with the OTAs.

I thought long and hard about possibly modifying these recovery images to allow users to flash grouper roms as well. I know it is unlikely that everything will be made available in two versions, even though it should be.

Any thoughts on this? It is a demonstrably better idea than having people use the grouper images, but I still think the developers/modders should be the ones handling this problem. People are going to NEED this recovery image once the nightlies of AOKP/CM10.1 and whatever start coming down, but I know that grouper zips will still be tempting to many.
    try /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod