HowTo: Wake car mounted Nexus 7 from sleep without power button (2002 Mustang)

Search This thread

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
If you guys want I can make a video of all apps im running and switches and example of how it works..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
But acording to your post does your tablet turn on as your car turn on?..

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
No mine is always on, and the switch wakes the tablet and then charges it. accessory or engine start is not required to charge.

Oh yeah ive read alot before attempting this and I heard that if your tablet is always on than eventually it will kill it.(dont know if its true or not) Since its always charging. What I did was I re-routed the power button to one of my dash button and I turn it on by that. Works like regular tablet button. And have it set up with tasker to when I turn on the key to ACC wich than sends power to the tablet than the tablet will wake up and start playing my music. And once I turn of the car it will stop playing music, go to sleep, switch airplane mode on and close all running apps..

But just case the power the ACC is providing is not enough to charge the tablet while heavy use I added an extra wire with a switch which basically gives the tablet power while the car is off...

Sorry if im nkt explaining my self clearly. Lol

nuffstylez

May 22, 2008
Oh yeah ive read alot before attempting this and I heard that if your tablet is always on than eventually it will kill it.(dont know if its true or not) Since its always charging. What I did was I re-routed the power button to one of my dash button and I turn it on by that. Works like regular tablet button. And have it set up with tasker to when I turn on the key to ACC wich than sends power to the tablet than the tablet will wake up and start playing my music. And once I turn of the car it will stop playing music, go to sleep, switch airplane mode on and close all running apps..

But just case the power the ACC is providing is not enough to charge the tablet while heavy use I added an extra wire with a switch which basically gives the tablet power while the car is off...

Sorry if im nkt explaining my self clearly. Lol

Hey egren58, would you mind posting your tasker profile. Ive been trying for the longest to set up my tablet like yours and couldn't figure it out.

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Hey egren58, would you mind posting your tasker profile. Ive been trying for the longest to set up my tablet like yours and couldn't figure it out.
How would I imported?. Or do you want me to make a video?. Not aure on how to import.

---------- Post added at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Another issue I ran into.. if you are going to use tablet talk jt will interfere with bluetooth gps. If your using bluetooth gps should be good.

nuffstylez

May 22, 2008
How would I imported?. Or do you want me to make a video?. Not aure on how to import.

---------- Post added at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Another issue I ran into.. if you are going to use tablet talk jt will interfere with bluetooth gps. If your using bluetooth gps should be good.

I have no clue how to import it. I just got the app this week and still learning. If you could post a video, I would be so grateful. Also, im interested in how you added that other wire to charge your nexus when the car is off. Right now I got mines connected to the cigarette lighter, and I don't think it will charge the tablet fast enough. I most do short trips

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
I have no clue how to import it. I just got the app this week and still learning. If you could post a video, I would be so grateful. Also, im interested in how you added that other wire to charge your nexus when the car is off. Right now I got mines connected to the cigarette lighter, and I don't think it will charge the tablet fast enough. I most do short trips

I will make a video. Im still running into one issue.
I need to learn how to add if power off for more than 5 seconds THAN proceed.

02sonicblue

Jun 8, 2014
Hey egren58, after seeing what you have done, i bought Tasker.
Good job so far. :good:

Would you share your tasker settings here as an export ?
I have seen some sites with examples and some shares, but what you have done is basically what i'm looking for.
Also perhaps a wiring diagram how your setup your power switch ?

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Hey egren58, after seeing what you have done, i bought Tasker.
Good job so far. :good:

Would you share your tasker settings here as an export ?
I have seen some sites with examples and some shares, but what you have done is basically what i'm looking for.
Also perhaps a wiring diagram how your setup your power switch ?

Ill see how ill do the wiring diagram. The tasker ill do it once I get to the car. Are you going to be using a cigarette lighter adapter

02sonicblue

Jun 8, 2014
Ill see how ill do the wiring diagram. The tasker ill do it once I get to the car. Are you going to be using a cigarette lighter adapter

Yes, i wired a 2nd cigarette lighter adapter to the factory wiring on the "factory cigarette lighter". it is hidden behind the tablet.
I then wired a toggle switch in line with the new cigarette lighter adapter so i can turn the power off to only that 1. My factory cigarette lighter has constant power.
http://youtu.be/P89paX9fcYw

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Oh. My car dint have constant power so I had to find a wire that had constant switch and than added a switch

nuffstylez

May 22, 2008
Hey egren, thanks so much for the video, it was very informative. I learned a lot. I also need a wiring diagram. As of right now, I have it charging from the cigarette lighter through a micro usb otg wire with power. The cigarette lighter is ignition controlled. How did you connect a constant power wire to the same otg cable? A wiring diagram would be so helpful, thanks.
Did you tap the constant power into the cigarette lighter adapter also so when you turn the car off, the constant will still be charging the tablet?

Last edited:

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
Hey egren, thanks so much for the video, it was very informative. I learned a lot. I also need a wiring diagram. As of right now, I have it charging from the cigarette lighter through a micro usb otg wire with power. The cigarette lighter is ignition controlled. How did you connect a constant power wire to the same otg cable? A wiring diagram would be so helpful, thanks.
Did you tap the constant power into the cigarette lighter adapter also so when you turn the car off, the constant will still be charging the tablet?
Im not using a cigarrate lighter but If I were you I would adapt the power to the lighter. You you would have to find a wire with constant power.. buy a switch. Wich than will give power to the cigarette lighter. When switched to on.

nuffstylez

May 22, 2008
Im not using a cigarrate lighter but If I were you I would adapt the power to the lighter. You you would have to find a wire with constant power.. buy a switch. Wich than will give power to the cigarette lighter. When switched to on.

So can I just take the constant wire connect it to a switch and tap into the cigarette lighter also, or will that mess up the ignition? Also, I now noticed that my otg cable isn't charging my tablet anymore, strange. The wiring diagram will help so much when you get a chance

egren58

Jul 19, 2011
So can I just take the constant wire connect it to a switch and tap into the cigarette lighter also, or will that mess up the ignition? Also, I now noticed that my otg cable isn't charging my tablet anymore, strange. The wiring diagram will help so much when you get a chance

Check your connection I can't stress you enough to make sure you have good connection and don't let wires hit ground. I had to replace my entire wiring hardest cuz I made a shortage. And how do I go about making a diagram I'll see if I can manage to draw one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have looked high and low for a way to turn on my Nexus7 without using the power button while it is in sleep mode.
    The reason is because i am putting my tablet in my 2002 Mustang GT to replace the stock radio. Once installed , the power, and volume buttons are no longer accessible. I have bought an AMP and use the remote volume knob to adjust the volume. Next my issue was getting the tablet to wake from sleep.
    After some serious thinking, i have found a way.
    This does not require flashing,hacking, taking the tablet apart to rewire ANYTHING.
    What i am going to do is connect the charging cord to a secondary cigarette lighter, then plug in a USB adapter.
    On the power side of the secondary cigarette lighter connect a toggle switch. (The secondary cigarette lighter will be hidden behind the tablet)
    Mount the cool looking toggle switch somewhere in the car where it is easily accessible.
    When you want to wake the table, and or charge it, turn on the toggle switch. (This SHOULD work with any tablet)
    You may want to download an app to put the tablet to sleep for when getting out of your car.

If anyone else tries this please let me know how it worked out for you.
    I still have to cut out a small piece of the dash to allow room for the charging cable. That will be done tomorrow, along with a better video. I just wanted to show my progress.
    Copy and paste link.
    youtu.be/1psLH24ZsiE
    Here is another video i made during the day, and after it was all mounted.
    Copy & Paste.
    youtu.be/P89paX9fcYw
    Thanks for the videos. Looks like quite the fun project. You did some great work there.
    Just remember that baking a tablet in a car all of the time _will_ destroy the battery, and rather fast. Maybe that's fine. Just warning you.

As for turning the device off. If you have bluetooth in the car or something, you could use Tasker to watch for the BT device. When it goes away, start a timer, maybe 30 minutes or something, then shut down. That way quick runs into the store or it's not powered off/rebooting etc. There are many posts on this exact same subject in this exact sub-forum... Nexus 7 seems to be popular for cooking in vehicles for some reason.

But yes, the "unplug it from the power" solution is always the solution. Using a "pretty" switch is one way to do it. Some cars have lighter ports which are only powered when the car is powered, but I know mine are hot all of the time and a lot of cars these days are.