Will Ouya Have Android Launcher?

Search This thread

BHSPitMonkey

Jun 15, 2008
I would pay if ADW, Nova or Apex created a OUYA specific launcher...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

I've installed ADW on mine, and it works very well. Everything is navigable with the controller out-of-the-box, including the settings menu and app drawer. The only thing you can't do with the controller is tap-and-hold icons/shortcuts/widgets to move them around, but you can do that with a mouse or trackpad connected via USB or BT. The OUYA controller has a center button which is used to turn the controller on. A short press of this button triggers Android's "Menu" button, which brings up the settings menu in ADW. A long press triggers Android's "Home" button.

I removed my app drawer and changed the number of columns from 6 to 8, and it's pretty much perfect for my TV now.

I sideloaded Nova Launcher very easily onto my Ouya. No modification needed. Works great. Little difficult to navigate with the controller, but definitely doable. Can access your Ouya games there and everything. Much more smooth than the Ouya launcher, that's for sure.

Does your ouya have to be rooted to accomplish using nova launcher?
I have figured out how to side load using dropbox, uploading apk's from my phone then using the browser to access the web version to pull down the apk's then installing.
TIA.

Burst transmission originating from nexus 4 android device via tapa 2

TadeoNYC

May 9, 2013
New York
I have figured out how to side load using dropbox, uploading apk's from my phone then using the browser to access the web version to pull down the apk's then installing.
TIA.

Nova will work on stock android. You should use ES file explorer to do your sideload apps. It can directly access Dropbox and has an app management tool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: blackepoxy

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
Absolutely LOVING my OUYA and finding a lot of awesome things to do with it.

I wanted to chime in about not being able to drag/drop with the controller. I've found that it's possible, but doesn't work very well.

I've been able to do it by double-tapping the touchpad and holding the second tap down. It may or may not work on a launcher, I"ll be trying that tomorrow, just thought I'd let others know in case they want to try.

TadeoNYC

May 9, 2013
New York
Absolutely LOVING my OUYA and finding a lot of awesome things to do with it.

I wanted to chime in about not being able to drag/drop with the controller. I've found that it's possible, but doesn't work very well.

I've been able to do it by double-tapping the touchpad and holding the second tap down. It may or may not work on a launcher, I"ll be trying that tomorrow, just thought I'd let others know in case they want to try.

It seems to work in all apps and it is needed to select multiple files. For setting up folders and home screens you're much better off just connecting a mouse for that.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

R

Rirere

Any launcher will basically work-- ish. As mentioned, some are better suited for controller use than others. Also, I'm pretty sure OUYA is actually based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
It lets you install whatever launcher you want. Ive got apex on mine right now. But it kinda sucks badly navigating with the controller. You can see how annoying it is by trying to navigate any other android launcher using a usb controller. The touchpad area behaves like a mouse, so you can drag that around and tap to click on the things that cant be reached with the d-pad and analog sticks.

I dont imagine it will be too long before somebody writes a 3rd party launcher that plays better with the controller.

R

Rirere

It lets you install whatever launcher you want. Ive got apex on mine right now. But it kinda sucks badly navigating with the controller. You can see how annoying it is by trying to navigate any other android launcher using a usb controller. The touchpad area behaves like a mouse, so you can drag that around and tap to click on the things that cant be reached with the d-pad and analog sticks.

I dont imagine it will be too long before somebody writes a 3rd party launcher that plays better with the controller.

Apex was bad news for me, if only because I had an awful time of navigating it with my controller (and OUYA has dreadful overscan on the only HDTV I have at home-- when I go back to college, I'll try again). To be honest, I think I'll try sideloading the Google TV launcher from my Revue. The Windows-style Launcher7 also might work if I can get it to run.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Probably not. But since it's hackable I'm sure it's possible one way or another.

Sent from my CM9 powered monster!
    Could the OUYA launcher be ported to an Android tablet or smartphone?
    I would pay if ADW, Nova or Apex created a OUYA specific launcher...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    TIA.

Nova will work on stock android. You should use ES file explorer to do your sideload apps. It can directly access Dropbox and has an app management tool.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2