Req: file - System/bin/debuggerd

Search This thread

gurudev32

May 2, 2011
Bengaluru
Tried updating from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2.
But assert check failed returning above file in results. Somehow it's been modified. No idea when and how.

Anyone running 4.2.1, could you please provide me this file.
Thanks in anticipation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

gurudev32

May 2, 2011
Bengaluru
Here is the list of only apps with root access in my tab.

Carbon - App backup and restore, Solid explore, Stick mount, SuperSU, System tuner pro and Terminal Emulator.

Thought to seek out the culprit!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

PhoenixTank

Dec 21, 2010
On a rock with a laptop
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17326185/debuggerd

MD5: B59443115C4181F49A57C1290EE3225B

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17326185/build.prop

MD5: D9D1855E0C90049DC410A4406B802259

Pulled this from the 4.2.1 factory image. I seem to have got past the debuggerd error message now (though I need to revert my build.prop entirely, apparently).
Included build.prop (not yet tested) from 4.2.1 image too.

Working for me and now running 4.2.2.

At your own risk, yadda yadda, not responsible for explosions or anything less terrible, blah blah.

FWIW, I had been using Stickmount and superSU.

Last edited:

gurudev32

May 2, 2011
Bengaluru
Pulled this from the 4.2.1 factory image. I seem to have got past the debuggerd error message now (though I need to revert my build.prop entirely, apparently).

At your own risk, yadda yadda, not responsible for explosions or anything less terrible, blah blah.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
In the future, If you want to pull arbitrary file(s) from Google N7 factory images, a useful skill set is to figure out how to use "sim2img" utility and loopback mounts (Windows need not apply).

Those system.img files shipped by Google are "sparse ext4 images" - they can not be directly mounted as a loopback, but that's where the "sim2img" utility comes in

The sequence goes like this:

- use sim2img to convert Google image file to regular ext4 image file
- loopback mount reg. image file
- grab whatever files you want (and check user/GRP ownership & modes)

It really is just that easy.

The "sim2img" utility is part of the android ext4_utils toolset. See this XDA thread from the Galaxy S forums for more details. (Yes the N7 system.img files from Google are also in this format.)

cheers

How to make it? and i will lose all data? thanks

diba320

Dec 21, 2011
Did not work for me ...
I have a N7 3G and the same message when trying to update. Replaced mine with the one from the download, no change, same error.

grybouille

Feb 15, 2013
Did not work for me ...
I have a N7 3G and the same message when trying to update. Replaced mine with the one from the download, no change, same error.

First of all, thanks a lot to PhoenixTank who provides me the solution. :good:
In fact to make it work, I had to change the permissions allowed on that file named "debuggerd", I checked what permissions were allowed on the original file and do the same on the copied one. I did it with ES explorer in root mod.

PhoenixTank

Dec 21, 2010
On a rock with a laptop
You'd need to backup and rename the existing debuggerd then move/copy the 4.2.1 debuggerd file to /system/bin/
Then match the permissions of the old debuggerd (I think it was 644, but I wouldn't swear by it).
The OTA zip should actually go through after that, or at least tell you about a new file you need to fix. You shouldn't lose any data, but you should probably clear cache and dalvik cache.
I did most of this via adb shell, but there are root file managers that can help. If you aren't confident about doing this and how it works, my posting was not really for you. Strongly suggest reading up until you feel confident before you start changing things around in the system partition.

Did not work for me ...
Unfortunately the 3G version is different to the Wifi Nexus 7, and as you've found, the files will not work.
Since I posted, Google pulled the 4.2.1 factory images from the download site - I'm not really in a good position to help you here.
The 4.2.2 factory image might be of more use if you can't source the 3G specific files. i.e. flash the new factory image.

Reactions: diba320

FunkyELF

Sep 30, 2009
Had this same problem. Will try solution tomorrow morning. Probably will download the links rather than trying to extract them myself (though I may leave that for a later exercise).

Would like to note that I also use StickMount as well as SixAxis Controller, Wifi Key Recovery, AppSync and LMT Launch err.
Seems like stick mount is the common one though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

FunkyELF

Sep 30, 2009

Pulled this from the 4.2.1 factory image.

In the future, If you want to pull arbitrary file(s) from Google N7 factory images, a useful skill set is to figure out how to use "sim2img" utility and loopback mounts (Windows need not apply).

Those system.img files shipped by Google are "sparse ext4 images" - they can not be directly mounted as a loopback, but that's where the "sim2img" utility comes in

The "sim2img" utility is part of the android ext4_utils toolset. See this XDA thread from the Galaxy S forums for more details. (Yes the N7 system.img files from Google are also in this format.)

cheers

Thanks guys
Those 2 files worked.
I got past "Verifying current system" and am now on 4.2.2.

I wanted to try to get the files myself as an exercise but Google pulled the 4.2.1 images from their website.

What is weird... is that I noticed a /system/bin/debuggerd.bak file that I didn't make myself, don't know what did (though StickMount seems to be the current suspect).
The weird thing is that debuggerd and debuggerd.bak were exactly the same.

Rody2k6

Feb 11, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
I want to do this, but I can't find the system/bin folder, what root explorer apps do you guys use?

EDIT: Used Total Commander, copied the permissions from old file to new and voilah! It worked.

No need to download build prop.

Now I am on 4.2.2

EDIT 2: Now WiFi only says SAVED and not CONNECTED.

Last edited:

peeka73

Feb 18, 2013
Just want to say THANK YOU!! I've been researching this error since Friday and finally found the solution here! And yes, I too have Stickmount! :)

PhoenixTank

Dec 21, 2010
On a rock with a laptop
I want to do this, but I can't find the system/bin folder, what root explorer apps do you guys use?

EDIT: Used Total Commander, copied the permissions from old file to new and voilah! It worked.

No need to download build prop.

Now I am on 4.2.2

EDIT 2: Now WiFi only says SAVED and not CONNECTED.

Can only recommend that you clear cache and dalvik cache. I have not experienced Wifi issues since the update.
To anyone I've helped, you are very welcome and I appreciate those thanks clicks too.

chimpanzeexda

Dec 10, 2011

cheers

can i do the reverse ? i.e. ext4 partition back to flashable img ?

that way it would be easier to root as I just need to dump a copy of su into it then flash.

And for Windows, just get oracle virtualbox(or your favorite VM, even virtual PC should work) and boot a copy of debian :)

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010

that way it would be easier to root as I just need to dump a copy of su into it then flash.

And for Windows, just get oracle virtualbox(or your favorite VM, even virtual PC should work) and boot a copy of debian :)

Yes. I did exactly the same thing, but for 4.2.1. Guess I need to repeat it now for 4.2.2. Note in this case "flashable" means the fastboot way (as with the Factory ROM flashes), not via custom recovery.

Uhh let's see - the script tool used for re-packing is ./mkuserimg.sh - see the links I provided above

Reactions: chimpanzeexda

Wayno-san

Mar 15, 2008
I need some help... I'm rather noobie. Had issue with upgrading to 4.2.2 so copied the debuggerd and build.prop files over to the system/bin directory. Still failed to upgrade. Tried it again today and now the N7 will not boot up. I can see it's on but it just stops at a blank screen. I have stock 4.2.1 w/root. Stock bootloader. I'm thinking its refusing to boot because I forgot to change the file permissions on the debuggerd file but not sure how to try and fix it. Please advise...

UPDATE: Managed to flash the system partition for 4.2.2 so hoping I'm good to go. Asked this question in another post but is it necessary to update any of the other partitions?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

cheers
    You'd need to backup and rename the existing debuggerd then move/copy the 4.2.1 debuggerd file to /system/bin/
    Then match the permissions of the old debuggerd (I think it was 644, but I wouldn't swear by it).
    The OTA zip should actually go through after that, or at least tell you about a new file you need to fix. You shouldn't lose any data, but you should probably clear cache and dalvik cache.
    I did most of this via adb shell, but there are root file managers that can help. If you aren't confident about doing this and how it works, my posting was not really for you. Strongly suggest reading up until you feel confident before you start changing things around in the system partition.

Did not work for me ...
    Unfortunately the 3G version is different to the Wifi Nexus 7, and as you've found, the files will not work.
    Since I posted, Google pulled the 4.2.1 factory images from the download site - I'm not really in a good position to help you here.
    The 4.2.2 factory image might be of more use if you can't source the 3G specific files. i.e. flash the new factory image.

Yes. I did exactly the same thing, but for 4.2.1. Guess I need to repeat it now for 4.2.2. Note in this case "flashable" means the fastboot way (as with the Factory ROM flashes), not via custom recovery.

Uhh let's see - the script tool used for re-packing is ./mkuserimg.sh - see the links I provided above