[MZ600][MZ602][MZ604] Official Android 4.1.1 OTA Update Thread

Search This thread

jediman

Oct 28, 2010
He is the type of person who says what he thinks. And, sadly, I think he is right. I am a bit disappointed as well.
I reckon you love your xoom, and that's ok (I am quite fond of mine as well), but all in all there are some things missing that should have been included.

This ota is half passed and buggy. I said as much to moto during the half assed test window. Its missing a lot

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
Google updates the Xoom in the USA, not Motorola. If you want to complain to someone, complain to Google. All Motorola does is conduct the soak tests once Google provides the ROM to them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tincbtrar

Nov 12, 2009
New York City
It seems as if Google kinda put this OTA out there just to shut people up. The soak test was pretty short lived which surprised me - how much feedback could they possibly get in such a short window (Unless kids were giving feedback like 'yo this romz is straight up butterz' because it said Jellybean on it)

The 4.0.4 OTA didnt have this many issues...really really surprising to me.

g0fwk

Feb 1, 2009
2nd time lucky clearing cache as mentioned.
Thanks for that info.

I did have a problem with the camera app from the home screen but removed that link and launch it from the applist and it works fine.

The only real issue at present is my wifi keeps dropping out and reconnecting with my router, in fact its just happened again while typing. At least it reconnects...

Thanks again for the information

Sent from my Xoom using xda app-developers app

kbl1224

Jul 28, 2012
Confused, OTA is failing on me

I have read this whole thread and others on Xoom forums and else ware. A few weeks ago I unlocked, loaded eos-recovery-r6.img and rooted. Now i have tried flashing back to these recovery4.0.4.img and the boot4.0.4.img (someone posted them here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1754838). I am not even sure which one I should use. Tried the recovery one but the update still fails, when I use the boot one it pulls the update down, reboots and skips the little green man part booting back up normally. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I read some places that you have to re-lock the bootloader, some people said no. I just want to get my JB and don't necessarily care if i loose root. Do i need to do a factory reset? Any guidance would greatly be appreciated!

dannylill1981

Aug 29, 2007
got the OTA yesterday, am impressed so far, but i mainly use the tablet for web browsing on the couch, so not really pushing its limits....

silverstorm

Sep 22, 2006
London
Got the OTA, in Great Britain on Olympics opening night.

Previously stock GED, on 4.0.4 and didn't see any updates for last few days (been hammering the check update option)

Was rooted and had CWM recovery. So flashed back to honeycomb US image, and went through the update cycles and it came up straight after it finished upgrading to 4.0.4

Bootloader unlocked throughout.

I like it. Scrolling between hometowns ultra smooth/responsive and the voice recognition is alarmingly fast and accurate. Adobe Flash not found on Play for JB, but no bother, used my apk backup I had from ICS, and it installed fine and working as well as it did on 4.0.4

Last edited:

LexLuger82

May 25, 2011
It seems as if Google kinda put this OTA out there just to shut people up. The soak test was pretty short lived which surprised me - how much feedback could they possibly get in such a short window (Unless kids were giving feedback like 'yo this romz is straight up butterz' because it said Jellybean on it)

The 4.0.4 OTA didnt have this many issues...really really surprising to me.

This was it

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Winesnob

May 20, 2012
Lorton, VA
I'm pretty happy with the Xoom JB. Very fast compared to ICS, which was way faster than Honeycomb. Google Now is fully functional. Yes there are some small elements missing (Sound search widget, no offline voice recognition, apps not ready for JB) but overall it is a big improvement. With a little research some of the small stuff can be overcome. If you want more go buy a Nexus 7 - do you really think the Xoom would get all of the bells and whistles on the advent of Google's first Nexus tablet and the possibility of a Nexus 10 later this year? Be happy with what you have, build your own ROM, or move on and buy something new.

Obievil

May 12, 2011
Forgive me but after going through 20 pages saw no answer, will doing the ota on a non rooted Xoom wipe the device ?

Sent from my Xoom using xda app-developers app

Theme Ishere

Dec 18, 2010
I'm pretty happy with the Xoom JB. Very fast compared to ICS, which was way faster than Honeycomb. Google Now is fully functional. Yes there are some small elements missing (Sound search widget, no offline voice recognition, apps not ready for JB) but overall it is a big improvement. With a little research some of the small stuff can be overcome. If you want more go buy a Nexus 7 - do you really think the Xoom would get all of the bells and whistles on the advent of Google's first Nexus tablet and the possibility of a Nexus 10 later this year? Be happy with what you have, build your own ROM, or move on and buy something new.

Sorry, but there is nothing i hate more than "buy something new". That is not the point. Nore am i saying that the xoom is a bad product. It is just, taht I am disappointed about the missing features. Why is there no face unlock? Why no offline speech recognition? Google know perfectly well taht the xoom is no competitor to a potential 10 inch nexus device, so that argument doesnt count. Especially considering the way google seems to subsidise their nexus devices lately.
I know, discussing shortcomings in an android forum is futile (as is discussing about a new ****ty album in a bands official forum for example).
I like Jelly Bean (despite the reappaering browser crashes and the lag between switching homescreens right before the screen "jumps" into its final position). Nevertheless, i was hoping for a bit more. Maybe it's my fault for too high expectations.

Winesnob

May 20, 2012
Lorton, VA
Don't confuse "Nexus" with "Google Experience Device". They are not the same. All current Nexus devices implement NFC. As the Xoom doesn't, there are already certain elements of code not present. If those code elements are somehow tied to other core features, it may explain the omission of select software features. Just speculating as I am in no way a developer, just an interested follower.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

tincbtrar

Nov 12, 2009
New York City
Sorry, but there is nothing i hate more than "buy something new". That is not the point. Nore am i saying that the xoom is a bad product. It is just, taht I am disappointed about the missing features. Why is there no face unlock? Why no offline speech recognition? Google know perfectly well taht the xoom is no competitor to a potential 10 inch nexus device, so that argument doesnt count. Especially considering the way google seems to subsidise their nexus devices lately.
I know, discussing shortcomings in an android forum is futile (as is discussing about a new ****ty album in a bands official forum for example).
I like Jelly Bean (despite the reappaering browser crashes and the lag between switching homescreens right before the screen "jumps" into its final position). Nevertheless, i was hoping for a bit more. Maybe it's my fault for too high expectations.

Yes...sad to say but your expectations are too high.

Is this the most polished update? No...but at least it gives us the option...on a 18 month old piece of hardware, to run the most current operating system within its hardware specifications.

I'm hoping that another point release will come up...but if not...ill probably go back to ICS.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium

Reactions: JoTeC

lchiu7

Mar 2, 2010
Well I just got JB on my Xoom OTA. Having used JB on my Galaxy Nexus for the past couple of weeks I did know what to expect but nevertheless I am pretty happy with it. The Xoom may not be the greatest tablet out there but as a GED, it's nice to get the latest software deployed to it.

One interesting thing I noticed was the update also updated Netflix to the latest JB compatible version. The JB update to my GN didn't do that and Netflix would crash all the time. I had some problem doing an update from the Play Store but Netflix had also posted a link to the apk you could side load. The JB update on the Xoom also updated Netflix automatically so they must have learnt I guess.

Top Liked Posts