Tips & Tricks for the Desire

Search This thread

shoemeistah

Jul 29, 2009
Netherlands, The
1. Dail
Code:
*#*#4636#*#*
to get more information about your phone and change some hidden settings.
2. At a stock Froyo ROM first boot's setup screen tap 4 corners of your screen clockwise to skip it and go to your homescreen.

pityonline

Nov 26, 2010
Beijing
I'm surprised no one in here mentioned this very unique and useful tip:
Or maybe I'm just a n00b and didn't realize this is standard for all Android phones :p

When you're going through your (possibly very long) list of contacts, HTC doesn't give you something like iPhone's tiny alphabet bar on the right.

Instead, they did one better.

Instead of scrolling with one finger, use two fingers to scroll, this will scroll through groups of your contacts categorized by the first letter in their name.
You only need to start the scrolling function with two fingers, then after that you can use one finger to continue scrolling through the categorized contacts (as long as that first finger is still on the screen)

Chinese users are crying for this....

Last edited:

gewoonjan

Sep 3, 2010
time to voice mail activation?

Hi there!

I myself am not an desire user but my father is and he asked me this afternoon if it's possible to change the time when the voice mail activates.

I couldn't find anything that was usefull and was wondering if someone knows how to change this.:confused:

In the hd2 forum there is a registry change to get the wanted change to the phone and i was hoping to find something like that here, but i wasn't able to:rolleyes:
must have got something to do with my search capabilities:p

btw could you please send me an pm if you've got an answer, cause i'm not checking the desire forum out on an regular basis:rolleyes:
(due to me being an hd2 user:D)

Fig Bucker

Jul 29, 2010
I wrote down a collection of Android tips & tricks (URL Removed, see original post) a couple of months ago, I've done my best to keep it updated and it's grown into a FAQ of sorts. Feel free to take a look :)

I'm going to look through this entire thread, and hopefully I'll find some more tricks to add...

This is well worth a read, have my Desire since launch and I still picked up a couple new tricks. Love the .nomedia one!

For Info - The .nomedia downloaded file which was placed in the offending folder didn't work, I had to manually create it in

Goodbye letsgolf sounds!:D

tomygunner

Mar 21, 2008
Berlin
I am a new user here so I am not allowed to post outside links yet, but do a google search for "Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android" and read the Geek For Me thing about task killers.

This is not right. It makes my Phone slower and slower, when i don't use the Task Killer. When i reboot my Phone i have more then 200 MB left. When i wouldn't use the Task Killer my Phone will go under some time of used applications to under 100MB of free memory. All applications are then so slowly and i can't use flash anymore at my browser, it just hangs and closes my browser by itself. So this is really bull****.

A Task Killer like in the application "System Panel" is very needed and great method to make the phone better running.

Meaple

Nov 5, 2008
Bradford
You shouldn't use so called "Task Killers" since they're not good for the Android OS. They are not needed and need to be banned (IMO). You can use it in extreme circumstances where it is needed, but that just proves that something isn't right with your ROM/apps. I tried to see how far my memory would go and loaded and used a load of apps, including a few games. As soon as I hit 70% used memory, the OS decided to shut something down and I gained 10% of memory. That's how Android should work. Have a look in the battery section of "About Phone" in the settings and see what really is chomping away at your resources.

I did use to have task killer but they just make things worse than what things need to be.

shoemeistah

Jul 29, 2009
Netherlands, The
They shouldnt be banned because they help me close apps, mostly games that dont shut down correctly, it makes my system slow. Those taskkillers shouldnt be used as automatic taskkilling but manually when you really need it.

Sent from my HTC

tomygunner

Mar 21, 2008
Berlin
They shouldnt be banned because they help me close apps, mostly games that dont shut down correctly, it makes my system slow. Those taskkillers shouldnt be used as automatic taskkilling but manually when you really need it.

Sent from my HTC
Indeed here is the same my Desire maybe closes some apps but that count is to few, when i press the red X of my system panel, it closes all stuff i don't need and what is not excluded it is the best resolution, otherwise it would really slow the mobile phone.

I use original firmware not a custome one.

sergiopi

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 14, 2005
Rome
This forum is intended TO SUGGEST Tips and Tricks, it isn't a "general purpose" drop box to ask for solutions!
Please try to remain on topics

Reactions: Zeljko1234

adz63

Aug 11, 2010
London/Surrey
not looked through posts as i gotta go to sleep but i just looked at another forum and see this tip

take the lense cover of the camera .. if you do it properly it will just stick straight back on .. but look at the major quality improvment ...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since Froyo/Android 2.2;

Sometimes when writing SMS, the typing window can disappear and the display zooms all the way up to the very first message to that contact.

You could scroll back down endlessly of course, but instead just turn the phone to change the screen orientation and you'll get straight back to the text entry window.

SOMEtimes even that doesn't work, in which case menu/add subject. That'll get you back to the text entry window for sure. (Obviously don't actually enter a subject or it'll change the message to an MMS)
    So I thought I'd start a little thread to see what tips & tricks people are discovering about the Desire now that we are getting our hands on them :D

If you swipe your finger (L to R or R to L) across the middle button then you can scroll through home screens without touching the screen :p

If you want more options in browser including UAString (Android, Desktop, Iphone etc,) just type in url window "about:debug" (without quotes!) then press enter; it seems nothing happens but if you go into settings all new options are available;)

I'll be surprised if it hasn't been mentioned before, but a quick way to reboot:
    Power button, vol down and press the track pad at the same time.
    that's so annoying when that happens! thanks for the tip man, saves me scrolling through 200+ messages

Also you can just hold down the Menu button and it will open the keyboard and go back to the bottom of the messages :)
    I'm surprised no one in here mentioned this very unique and useful tip:
    Or maybe I'm just a n00b and didn't realize this is standard for all Android phones :p

When you're going through your (possibly very long) list of contacts, HTC doesn't give you something like iPhone's tiny alphabet bar on the right.

Instead, they did one better.

Instead of scrolling with one finger, use two fingers to scroll, this will scroll through groups of your contacts categorized by the first letter in their name.
    You only need to start the scrolling function with two fingers, then after that you can use one finger to continue scrolling through the categorized contacts (as long as that first finger is still on the screen)
    If you drag the top bit it tells you your notfications! (where the battery life is).