4.4.2 (Advent) First Boot - Extremely Slow

Search This thread
Feb 3, 2009
www.krupa.me.uk
I've just installed the 4.4.2 update on my Advent-branded Tegra Note and the first boot was painfully slow. The "Optimizing Apps" stage of the boot took more than an hour for 161 apps and when the boot was complete the device was lagging to a ridiculous degree. Swiping left or right on the home screen resulted in a jittery page change after maybe 6 or 7 seconds. I eventually had to force a shutdown. Subsequent boots have started OK but with periodic lag for 20-30 seconds at a time. Has anyone else had issues like this?

Last edited:

titetanium

Oct 10, 2013
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel Fold
I've just installed the 4.4.2 update on my Advent-branded Tegra Note and the first boot was painfully slow. The "Optimizing Apps" stage of the boot took more than an hour for 161 apps and when the boot was complete the device was lagging to a ridiculous degree. Swiping left or right on the home screen resulted in a jittery page change after maybe 6 or 7 seconds. I eventually had to force a shutdown. Subsequent boots have started OK but with periodic lag for 20-30 seconds at a time. Has anyone else had issues like this?

Oh, yeah. Got frustrated enough that I rooted it and downgraded back to 4.3... That said, try going into recovery (if you're not rooted) and clear the cache from there to see if that helps.

MrRuckus

Jun 1, 2009

I have seen this randomly, not on the first reboot of Kitkat for me, which worked fine. But just randomly on reboots after the update to 4.4.2. The slowness starts at the initial boot screen because the animated splash screen with the green swirling around the Nvidia logo is super sluggish and slow-mo, almost like the tablet is running on one core or something. If this occurs, I normally hold in the power button to force a hard reboot, then its fine again. Done it maybe a handful of times, but I don't restart my tablet that often. Only started happening after the 4.4 update tho.

Carrib

Mar 8, 2014
workaround

This is not a solution, but instead a workaround that seems to work.
a) Firstly you need to turn on the 'developers options' in the settings menu.
Go into 'Settings' > 'About tablet' then tap the 'Build number' seven times.
You will get a message telling you that you are now a developer.
Return to the main settings page and a new option 'Developers options' will be visible.
B)Click on 'Developers options' > 'Select runtime'. Then click 'Art'. This cause android to rebuild the runtime system & libraries. When its finished optimising apps, use the tablet as normal for 10-15 minutes, note some apps will NOT function properly.
Restart tablet by powering off and turning back on.
C)Goto main 'Settings' page click 'Developers options' > 'Select runtime'. Then click 'Dalvik'. Android will rebuild the runtime system & libraries and return the tablet to its original state. When its finished optimising the apps, Power off the tablet then restart.
I hope this helps… (does not require unlocking or rooting)