Tetrax Magnet Mount for Galaxy Nexus

Search This thread

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
Has anybody tried the tetrax mounts yet with their galaxy nexus? Before I purchase one I'm curious of two things.

1. How well does the the magnet stick to the battery door since the battery cover is textured? I have an extra cover that I'll use simply for this.
2. Does the magnet interfere with the NFC and/or screen at all?

In case your not sure what I'm referring to:

http://store.tetrax.us/xway-line/fixway

Reactions: mike_m

MetalMessiah78

Jun 28, 2006
Sunland Park, NM
twitter.com
I have used this on other phones, including my G2, MyTouch 3G and G1 and it worked very well on all those phones. However, due to the textured back on the Galaxy Nexus, the metal button that stick to the battery door does not stay on. I have tried replacing the double sided tape with stronger automotive 3M tape, but that doesn't work either. It'll stay on for a little while and come back off. The only solution would be to find a battery door that is smooth.

I can't answer if it interferes with NFC or the screen, but it shouldn’t. If anything, it might interfere with the magnet on the compass, but that has not been the case with my other phones.

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
I have used this on other phones, including my G2, MyTouch 3G and G1 and it worked very well on all those phones. However, due to the textured back on the Galaxy Nexus, the metal button that stick to the battery door does not stay on. I have tried replacing the double sided tape with stronger automotive 3M tape, but that doesn't work either. It'll stay on for a little while and come back off. The only solution would be to find a battery door that is smooth.

I can't answer if it interferes with NFC or the screen, but it shouldn’t. If anything, it might interfere with the magnet on the compass, but that has not been the case with my other phones.

Thanks,

So you've actually tried it on the GNex and it don't stick very well? Did you by chance try holding it on there for several hours with a strong clamp or anything? I really want one of these but worried it's a waste of money with this phone

MetalMessiah78

Jun 28, 2006
Sunland Park, NM
twitter.com
I have actually tried it, but not with a clamp. Just following the regular directions. On my other phones, it created a very strong bond and it takes a lot of effort to remove. With the Nexus, it stays on the first couple of times you mount it, but that's about it. It's not an issue with the weight, as the G2 feels twice as heavy as the Nexus, especially with an extra capacity battery. It's the texture on the battery door. It almost feels like it has a Teflon coating.

Reactions: dcoy82

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
I have actually tried it, but not with a clamp. Just following the regular directions. On my other phones, it created a very strong bond and it takes a lot of effort to remove. With the Nexus, it stays on the first couple of times you mount it, but that's about it. It's not an issue with the weight, as the G2 feels twice as heavy as the Nexus, especially with an extra capacity battery. It's the texture on the battery door. It almost feels like it has a Teflon coating.

Would you mind holding up one of the magnets to the battery door and test out the NFC to see if it interferes with it (if you have the ability to). This is my main question as I could always put the magnet on a case I guess.

Thanks!

MetalMessiah78

Jun 28, 2006
Sunland Park, NM
twitter.com
I don't have another NFC device to try it right now, but my brother has the Nexus S and I can try it when I see him later tonight. The magnet doesn't go on the battery door though. What you stick on the battery door is just a piece of metal. The actual magnet is on the device that you mount to your dash or vent, so unless you plan on using NFC while it's on your dash, it should not interfere.

Plus, NFC uses low power radio frequency to transfer information (similar to Bluetooth). It does not use magnets. The only thing in the phone that could be affected would be the compass, as it finds your relation to magnetic North. Even then, I'm sure the compass works through software and is not an actual magnet, as it has never affected GPS. As a matter of fact, I have 2 Tetrax products, the one that mounts to the dash, which I have in my car, and the one that you attach to the vent for when I use a rental on trips for the sole purpose of Navigation. As you can imagine, I was very disappointed when I could not get the metal button to stick. I might have to try it with a case also.

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
I don't have another NFC device to try it right now, but my brother has the Nexus S and I can try it when I see him later tonight. The magnet doesn't go on the battery door though. What you stick on the battery door is just a piece of metal. The actual magnet is on the device that you mount to your dash or vent, so unless you plan on using NFC while it's on your dash, it should not interfere.

Plus, NFC uses low power radio frequency to transfer information (similar to Bluetooth). It does not use magnets. The only thing in the phone that could be affected would be the compass, as it finds your relation to magnetic North. Even then, I'm sure the compass works through software and is not an actual magnet, as it has never affected GPS. As a matter of fact, I have 2 Tetrax products, the one that mounts to the dash, which I have in my car, and the one that you attach to the vent for when I use a rental on trips for the sole purpose of Navigation. As you can imagine, I was very disappointed when I could not get the metal button to stick. I might have to try it with a case also.

Awesome so yea I don't think it'll interfere because I was thinking the part you stick to the back of the phone is magnetic, but if your saying it's not all should be well. Either way I went ahead and ordered it yesterday anyway so I'll figure out a way to get it to stick to either the door or a case. Thanks for your insight!

ejkeebler

Apr 9, 2010
I have this installed on my nexus, I put the mount on my dash and the NFC sticker on my knob for the ac that get covered up. Everytime I put my phone on the mount, the nfc changes it to car mode, volume up, full brightness and launches sirius xm radio...works very well, sometimes I have to move it a bit to get to read the nfc, but thats only cause i have the nfc a little too far at the bottom of the phone and it mounts at a slight angle, not due to any interference at all. I have NFC chips all around and never have problems reading them at all, probably a good idea not to mount the metal chip right in the middle of the battery area, just in case. I also used a clamp to hold it on for about 3 or 4 hours and has had little trouble sticking to the texture.

I have had a few incidents if I pull off the phone, rather than slide it off the backing will actually unclip a single clip.

Reactions: dcoy82

MetalMessiah78

Jun 28, 2006
Sunland Park, NM
twitter.com
@ejkeebler what do you mean by NFC stickers all around? Did you make stickers to automatically change your settings on your phone? That's brilliant! How did you do it?

I might also have to try a clamp. I don't really want to put a case on my phone.

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
@ejkeebler what do you mean by NFC stickers all around? Did you make stickers to automatically change your settings on your phone? That's brilliant! How did you do it?

I might also have to try a clamp. I don't really want to put a case on my phone.

I also have NFC stickers everywhere. have them when I walk in the front door of my house, one in my office at work, one in each vehicle, one in my wallet LOL. They are awesome. Set them to change settings or do tasker tasks and you can rewrite over them if you ever want to change anything. One of the best phone features I've ever used. That's why i was concerned about the magnets interfering with the NFC!

raing

Nov 24, 2009
I also have NFC stickers everywhere. have them when I walk in the front door of my house, one in my office at work, one in each vehicle, one in my wallet LOL. They are awesome. Set them to change settings or do tasker tasks and you can rewrite over them if you ever want to change anything. One of the best phone features I've ever used. That's why i was concerned about the magnets interfering with the NFC!

Where can I get / how do I 'program' these NFC Stickers?? This sounds awesome.

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011

www.tagstand.com to purchase the tags. Tell him DCoy82 sent you! The 30mm ultralight c circle NDEF formatted seem to be the only ones I've bought that work with the nexus so far.

Once you get them you can download program called NFC Task Launcher off the market to program them.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

MetalMessiah78

Jun 28, 2006
Sunland Park, NM
twitter.com
www.tagstand.com to purchase the tags. Tell him DCoy82 sent you! The 30mm ultralight c circle NDEF formatted seem to be the only ones I've bought that work with the nexus so far.

Once you get them you can download program called NFC Task Launcher off the market to program them.

That is so awesome. This is my first phone with NFC so I'm barely starting to learn all the cool things that you can do with it. I tried Android Beam for the first time with my brother on Tuesday and it works great, though I wish you could beam other things such as pictures. By the way, the metal button does not interfere with NFC. I will let them know that you recommended me. Thank you!

ejkeebler

Apr 9, 2010
If your interested in NFC, here's a few spots that got me started

http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/336155-what-do-you-use-nfc-tasker.html
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/weekend_project_make_your_own_nfc_tags.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnqmyNEQPq0&feature=email&email=comment_reply_received

and the tags I bought were from here:
http://tagsfordroid.com/tags/Home.html

I got them cause i liked the having the android on them, i think they are a tiny bit less expensive elsewhere, and these are a little thicker than I'd like (like a puffy sticker, about the same thickness of a penny) but you can get many in other places.

by itself i'm not sure nfc task launcher does it for me, but in combination with tasker, it's ridiculous how much can be done....would still love to see what others have come up with.

Reactions: MetalMessiah78

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Thats a good idea. Being in IT, we have dead Hard Drives laying around that have awesome magnets in them. They're real slim. I bet I could superglue one to my nexus's battery cover for under the TPU case that would hold. They're thin so it might not screw with the case (but it might).

Juvenall

Apr 27, 2011
#!/usr/bin/Detroit
plus.google.com
I got them cause i liked the having the android on them, i think they are a tiny bit less expensive elsewhere, and these are a little thicker than I'd like (like a puffy sticker, about the same thickness of a penny) but you can get many in other places.

Yeah, it looks like it's $8 for 2. I just picked up 5 over at tagstand.com for the same price and found 10 for $13 over at http://buynfcstickers.com.

dcoy82

Mar 18, 2011
Hopefully you guys are all having good experience with the guy at tag stand. His customer service was great for me and I'll definatley be going back there in the future.

Oh and by the way, I got my new tetrax magnet set in today and not having any issues with the magnet at allowing necessary nor with the metal part sticking to the stock battery door. Only real issue so far is you have to slide it off just right or the battery door just pops off the nexus lol. Highly recommend though!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To everyone that's asking, it's not a magnet you put on the door, it's just a metal circle. The magnet is on the mount that you put on your vent or dash.

I tried using a blow dryer to heat up the glue on the double sided tape, and that seamed to work a little better for me, but eventually came off. I guess I'll have to put it on a case.

IMG_20120129_115952.jpg

IMG_20120129_120032-1.jpg

IMG_20120129_120129.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures, my camera sucks!

Has anybody tried the tetrax mounts yet with their galaxy nexus? Before I purchase one I'm curious of two things.

1. How well does the the magnet stick to the battery door since the battery cover is textured? I have an extra cover that I'll use simply for this.
    2. Does the magnet interfere with the NFC and/or screen at all?

In case your not sure what I'm referring to:

http://store.tetrax.us/xway-line/fixway
    I have this installed on my nexus, I put the mount on my dash and the NFC sticker on my knob for the ac that get covered up. Everytime I put my phone on the mount, the nfc changes it to car mode, volume up, full brightness and launches sirius xm radio...works very well, sometimes I have to move it a bit to get to read the nfc, but thats only cause i have the nfc a little too far at the bottom of the phone and it mounts at a slight angle, not due to any interference at all. I have NFC chips all around and never have problems reading them at all, probably a good idea not to mount the metal chip right in the middle of the battery area, just in case. I also used a clamp to hold it on for about 3 or 4 hours and has had little trouble sticking to the texture.

I have had a few incidents if I pull off the phone, rather than slide it off the backing will actually unclip a single clip.