[Q] Poll - Do you have GPS issues?

Do you have GPS issues?

• Total voters
Search This thread

engineer14

Jul 2, 2009
everything works for me. I downloaded the compass app from the market and it seems relatively accurate (im assuming when it starts up, it actually has the right direction, i dont have a compass to actually compare it with). I DO NOT HAVE A DATA PLAN. I also ran the fix where you change your supl settings, but i doubt that should have any effect since i cant connect to the server without data!
gps takes 2-3minutes for a cold fix while driving. i used the gps code to see how my phone locks on, and i have gotten up to 13 or 11 satellites (cant remember which) inside my 1 story house.
i work on the third floor of my building and forgot to turn my gps off when i got in, i still had a lock when i got to my cube (accuracy had gone down to 40m, but it got back below 30m by the time i decided to turn it off). you should also note that cell phone signals also have a hard time inside these buildings.
a hot fix (after 30 minutes of no gps, but still in about the same location i turned it off) took less than 20 seconds..
only time gps really failed me was last night when it acted erraticly for about 10 minutes, but returned to normal.
so thats my gps story!

androidmonkey

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for those who voted. I think the stats speak for themselves. Based on some comments ive read, some of the "No" votes are actually a "Yes".

kizer

Mar 31, 2009
www.links4jeeps.com
Issues: Yes
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband Version: T959UVJFD
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Manuf. Date: Beats me. I got the phone a week after launch.

I can Navigate, but the accuracy is horrid. CardioTrainer and My Tracks are way off and more less useless.

tpcoder

Nov 1, 2010
Denver
Firmware Version: 2.1~update 1
Baseband Version:T959UVJFD
Kernel Version:2.6.29
Manuf. Date: 09/30/2010

My GPS and My 3G connection all take around a minute from a boot.

ZachLL88

Nov 12, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon
Issues: no issues
Firmware Version: 2.1 -update1
Baseband Version: t959uvji6
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
Manuf. Date: will look when I get home.

Stock no root. I don't have any issues. Gps works fine. Take 5secs maybe less to lock onto signal. Got the phone towards the end of oct. Not sure manufactures date.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

rakeshchn

Aug 25, 2010
Now this is interesting....i have been through multiple ROMs and GPS always worked when I lived in southern california. Now in ohio I never get lock. For those who use custom ROMs, I am on obsidian v3 - froyo JK2 and didn't make any changes when moved from california to ohio. But GPS stopped working. Now this may explain why people report contradicting facts about vibrant GPS.

inconceeeivable

Dec 11, 2010
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband Version: T959UVJFD
Kernel: 2.6.29
Manufacture Date: Not quite sure---know it's July 2010 though (box is at my apartment)

Have also tried JI6, JK2, JK6, JL1. (These include both stock and the awesome TW releases.)

I'm able to eventually lock onto sats when "Wireless Networks" are active (have used the GPS Test menu to verify sat lock). When "Wireless Networks" are disabled, I usually get nothing. It sees several sats, but never locks. Thinking my phone is just broken...it's from eBay AND it has been dropped, so obviously no possibility of replacement...

demo23019

Dec 9, 2007
Only time I had hard time locking is when I was o jfd firmware after that I was pretty much fine.

My GPS is fine for me but there is a reason they changed the antenna on the nexus s. Like I said a while back putting phone in flightmode GPS was much more accurate pointing out that the phone and GPS antenna interfere with one another

ZachLL88

Nov 12, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon
Only time I had hard time locking is when I was o jfd firmware after that I was pretty much fine.

My GPS is fine for me but there is a reason they changed the antenna on the nexus s. Like I said a while back putting phone in flightmode GPS was much more accurate pointing out that the phone and GPS antenna interfere with one another

Looks like a lot of people are having problems on jfd.

demo23019

Dec 9, 2007
Compass doesn't work either on JFD
JFD is horrid and people still on it should upgrade to at least JI6 i mean it was released at an OTA over a month ago.

If you haven't gotten the JI6 update yet chances are you wont ever get it....manually install it don't rely on T-Mobile horrid upgrade process

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I don't think this is a software based bug, my phone hasn't had any gps issues that I can see at all regardless of what software I am running. Stock, then with update, various 2.1 and 2.2 roms, some that include gps fixes and not.

Maybe someone can explain what the actual problems they are having is.. because I just haven't had a single one I can tell. Maybe it is a problem related to where you are location wise, or a batch of phones have slightly different hardware? I don't know.. but I am happy.

ZX3ZX4

Aug 13, 2010
silentbtdeadly-
It's good that some phones, like yours, don't have GPS problems. However, it's not location based. It s a wide-spread and known issue, and really is annoying in an otherwise great phone. Some people can never get it to lock on to satellites, while others have big problems with accuracy or having the navigation stay on track. Mine was terrible until the JI6 update and that pretty much fixed it.

If you do a look around on this forum you'll see a number of threads that detail the various problems. Out of curiosity I just Googled: Vibrant +GPS +problem, and got 650K of hits.

Last edited:

inconceeeivable

Dec 11, 2010
I don't think this is a software based bug, my phone hasn't had any gps issues that I can see at all regardless of what software I am running. Stock, then with update, various 2.1 and 2.2 roms, some that include gps fixes and not.

Maybe someone can explain what the actual problems they are having is.. because I just haven't had a single one I can tell. Maybe it is a problem related to where you are location wise, or a batch of phones have slightly different hardware? I don't know.. but I am happy.

I've flashed back to stock several times...I've likewise installed the JI6 update through Kies. Just can't get a reliable lock using only gps. If the JI6 update doesn't fix it, does that mean it's probably a hardware problem?

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

darksandz93

Aug 24, 2010
So I've had GPS problems ever since i got the phone in late July, until yesterday I've tried every single fix out there (supl google, samsung restore, auto config) and have flashed many different roms claiming to have fixed the GPS. Nada. GPS would never lock on no matter how long i tried and when it did it kept jumping around all over the place or would just come to a complete halt even when im still driving (on the freeway too mind you). I honestly thought it was a hardware issue, it HAD to be! THEN i flashed Nero beta 2 last night and praise the lord my GPS is ABSOLUTELY better, it veiws 10-12 sats and locks on 9-12 sats within seconds. I believe it has to do the the JL1 modem or kernel whatever it is. I really suggest trying out the Nero rom or if anything try flashing the JL1 modem.