how do i backup my stock recovery?

Search This thread

berohan

Oct 27, 2015
Question?

The guys method of using recovery to backup recovery will only work on Philz… Not twrp as it does not always backup stock recovery properly. The proper way to backup stock recovery is..
1. Root your phone, which can be done by towel root or by just booting a recovery like he said,
fastboot boot twrporwhatever.img, then flash supersu
2. Boot phone that has stock recovery
3. adb shell
4. su "watch your phone to grant root adb access if you haven't ever done it"
5. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
6. This will put flashable recovery.img on your internal sd card. Copy this and save it for later
7. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will get you back to stock recovery, "fastboot flash recovery twrporwhatever.img" to flash custom recovery.

In step 3 you have mentioned boot phone that have stock recovery.
where to boot it??
i have to boot my phone in bootloader or boot into system?
and in
step 4. will i find adb shell when i boot into system? and what to do with it?

am a beginner i don't have much knowledge about this.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
In step 3 you have mentioned boot phone that have stock recovery.
where to boot it??
i have to boot my phone in bootloader or boot into system?
and in
step 4. will i find adb shell when i boot into system? and what to do with it?

am a beginner i don't have much knowledge about this.

adb doesn't work in bootloader, you'll want to be booted into system/OS.

shell is an adb command. If you don't know how to issue adb commands, use the XDA site search function using the term "adb easy" and you'll get some quick and easy adb installers and tutorials.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Another option you have is to go back to fully stock and then extract the bootloader.

I think you mean "extract firmware".

Bootloader and recovery are 2 completely different things, and different partitions.

thodibhen

Nov 21, 2015
I see imminent bricks here, if you aren't 1000% sure what ADB, or Fastboot, or what the exact differences are between them, you should not be using them. ESPECIALLY if you have S-OFF. Just going by some of the posted [clueless] questions; be careful, last thing you want is a $500 paperweight....

The Analog Kid

Dec 5, 2013
Or just use flashify after rooting.

Yep. Especially on newer devices like Moto Z2 Play on which dedicated TWRP apparently fails to gain enough permissions for system backups if not flashed permanently. On said device (at least; though it might be useful for a bunch of other devices running Android 7 through 8.x.x with same TWRP issue), do fastboot boot recovery.img; then, after flashing root method and stuff, you can boot into temporary TWRP recovery, followed by system boot, install Flashify, then reboot into stock recovery (cause Flashify does backup of the last cached recovery image), then back into system, perform stock recovery backup with Flashify and then permanently flash TWRP (or not, as you wish; although you may really want to do a safety nandroid backup with TWRP anyway). Now, when time comes, you can restore stock recovery if needed via Flashify as well. BTW: You can also flash dedicated TWRP recovery using Flashify right from the phone, but that's only if you don't want to get through the whole PC and ADB thing again. Why would you?

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

this makes me laugh. Hahaha

Wait... Why?

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As title says, im going to install cwm but i would like to make a backup of my stock recovery for ota updates but im not totaly sure on how to do that properly, thanks

The guys method of using recovery to backup recovery will only work on Philz… Not twrp as it does not always backup stock recovery properly. The proper way to backup stock recovery is..
    1. Root your phone, which can be done by towel root or by just booting a recovery like he said,
    fastboot boot twrporwhatever.img, then flash supersu
    2. Boot phone that has stock recovery
    3. adb shell
    4. su "watch your phone to grant root adb access if you haven't ever done it"
    5. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
    6. This will put flashable recovery.img on your internal sd card. Copy this and save it for later
    7. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will get you back to stock recovery, "fastboot flash recovery twrporwhatever.img" to flash custom recovery.
    As title says, im going to install cwm but i would like to make a backup of my stock recovery for ota updates but im not totaly sure on how to do that properly, thanks

Connect phone to PC, boot into bootloader mode and type fastboot boot name_of_recovery.img that'll just boot the custom recovery as opposed to flashing it, that way you can make a nandroid backup of all partitions including stock recovery.
    Or just use flashify after rooting.

Sent from my SM-T805 using XDA Free mobile app
    Great thanks very much mate