Motoactv

Search This thread

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
If it's the screen, absolutely. The Mac address issue though... I'm not sure about that one. That's odd, as it's usually hard coded onto the chipset.

Reactions: redenjaja

badzi0r

May 22, 2009
London
I can't connect my motoactv (original, not rooted) to the account and synchronize, also to a smartphone, and even from PC to the web account via web browser.
Did Motorola completely drop it?
It was working last time on December, meanwhile I've got upgrade to Lollipop (could it be the reason?).

Rustmonkey

Oct 15, 2007
Ok, so which custom ROM is recommended? I had installed ClearD and managed to get Runtastic and Google Play Music installed, which were my primary goals lol, but cant seem to get Runtastic to initialize the GPS... is this ROM issue that is addressed in other versions or is this simply an app issue? The stock running app still initializes the GPS... Also, I keep seeing mention of a script that will download the workout activity from the stock MOTO apps but can't seem to locate said script... any suggestions on where to get this?

THANKS!

EDIT: Figured out how to activate GPS. Downloaded Google Maps and was able to turn it on all the time, woot!

Last edited:

muish002

Nov 25, 2009
De bilt
I just bought a motoactv, but cant do anything with it either. Its a hugh problem...
Initially, I was able to atleast see it on Explorer. But when I downloaded Motocast (as it didnt install by itself) that also stopped. so now I have a motoactv that is only seen as "networkdevice" , cant install WIFI on it and c ant create a motocst acound.

Contacted Motorola and they tell me to go to the shop where I bought it:p While it never been sold in Europe.
Its very frustrating, cant even root it!
(I have a win8.1 64 bits windows , and latest available software/firmware.

kensikora

Jun 25, 2010
Motorola shut down their web services for this device, making it essentially useless while stock, since I don't know of a way to bypass that portion of the phone app setup. Unless somebody knows better than me or has a modified version of the app, it seems hope is lost. Sad part is I never used the online portal anyhow, and it was at one time optional instead of mandatory. So... Now that I think of it, maybe if you use an older version of the app, you can at least get it set up.

I wore mine for three years, but after upgrading to this latest phone, it finally came time to upgrade my watch to the Asus Zenwatch. I miss my MotoACTV and maybe someday I'll find the time to do something with it, but every time I look at it, I'm filled with sadness.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

KramerEz

Jun 16, 2015
Latest Stock Software Image

Hey All - I recently replaced a Motoactv that went for a swim:crying:. The new Motoactv seems to have a really old release of the software and I've had a serious problem trying to get it to update using anything that Motorola support will provide (MDM did not work and that's about all they are willing to offer as help). So, for now I have a watch that won't connect to my home wifi, or sync to the motoactv website (or my profile), has about 5 watch face options (none of which I like), won't wake by turning my wrist, and doesn't go back to the time by holding the back button. After reading so much about rooting it - I think that may be the best way to go forward considering the lack of support from Motorola with their software. BUT, I'm wondering if someone has an image of the latest software for the 16GB. I want that to be the factory restore for this device now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Ezra

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
Hey All - I recently replaced a Motoactv that went for a swim:crying:. The new Motoactv seems to have a really old release of the software and I've had a serious problem trying to get it to update using anything that Motorola support will provide (MDM did not work and that's about all they are willing to offer as help). So, for now I have a watch that won't connect to my home wifi, or sync to the motoactv website (or my profile), has about 5 watch face options (none of which I like), won't wake by turning my wrist, and doesn't go back to the time by holding the back button. After reading so much about rooting it - I think that may be the best way to go forward considering the lack of support from Motorola with their software. BUT, I'm wondering if someone has an image of the latest software for the 16GB. I want that to be the factory restore for this device now. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Ezra

Root is for sure the way to go, here are some links you will need:

Root/CWM Recovery/Button commands etc
http://motoactv.wikispaces.com/

ClearD ROM
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2085202

Custom watch faces
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1768233

blmartin1984

Aug 23, 2015
Noob question

Given that the MotoActv website server is no longer allowing you to set up a MotoActv ID and thus use the notifications function between the app on a smart phone and the watch, if I root my watch will I get the ability to have my watch get notifications from my phone (i.e. texts, phone calls, emails)? Given I have an Samsung S5 with more power and screen room, I really not too interested in using my watch to do a lot of redundant stuff the phone can do. I'm more interested in leaving my phone in the holster and using the watch to get notifications so I know if I need to grab my phone. I've watched a lot of the demos on youtube to see what the watch can do when rooted. Very cool. But no one talks about notifications because I think most of the videos were made when the MotoActv website and phone app were still functioning. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

welchomatic

May 1, 2011
Yes. If you use the watch without rooting it, it will still act as a conduit for messages and incoming calls from your android phone.

blmartin1984

Aug 23, 2015
Yes. If you use the watch without rooting it, it will still act as a conduit for messages and incoming calls from your android phone.

Well, not really. I installed the MotoActv app on my S5. Upon opening it wanted my MotoActv ID. When I tried setting up my watch i got the same problem. The MotoActv website will not respond to requests to make new IDs. So I called Motorola (who was surprisingly helpful). They put me in touch with a development group that has knowledge of the MotoActv. Seems all support ceased in Jan 2015. They have no intention of modifying the app on Play Store so that it will work with the watch without first requiring a MotoActv ID. As a side note, I did make a Motorola ID to see if that would work but it didn't would with the MotoActv site. Yes I can link the phone and watch via bluetooth still but I don't see anything coming to the watch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

SashSheen

Oct 27, 2009
Bangalore
Edit- Can anyone help? The best solution I have found is using an app called app2sd. This allows me to copy an app from the internal memory to the sd card. This sucks because I only have 40 megs free on the internal memory, so any bigger apps I can't install. I tried using adb to install apk's that way, but it states the same thing...insufficient space. What am I doing wrong?

I used Jay4255's EasyModder and installed the ClearDroid MotoACTV Version 1.1.3A rom
Did you find the solution to getting applications installed on SD card yet? I am not able to install Google Play Services due to insufficient space

sergsinger

May 19, 2012
Hello, guys!
Is it real to use Sports Tracker app with this watches? I need to record bicycle activity. Will custom ROM help me?
Thanks in advance.

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
Hello, guys!
Is it real to use Sports Tracker app with this watches? I need to record bicycle activity. Will custom ROM help me?
Thanks in advance.

Custom rom is just going to allow you to tinker, install/do more with the watch. If you want to overclock and watch netflix on your wrist sure, if not I'd just use the normal workout stuff that it came with.

sergsinger

May 19, 2012
Custom rom is just going to allow you to tinker, install/do more with the watch. If you want to overclock and watch netflix on your wrist sure
I don't understand, will custom ROM help me to install Sports Tracker app and use it without a smartphone? Or this app will work with the stock? I just need to switch on GPS on the watches, run the Sports Tracker app and start to record activity from my wrist while a smartphone is lying in a bag.
if not I'd just use the normal workout stuff that it came with
Don't forget that now there is no sync between watches and Web using stock app.

UPD.: working path for me is ClearDroid_ACTV_1.2.1_T14 and last SportyPal from GP. Recorded activity (bicycle) was succesfully uploaded to the SportyPal website by Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

smb_gaiden

Mar 8, 2006
Saw some posts on the lenovo forums about updating golf course data. I managed to update the motoactv with the re-designed Torrey Pines North data and then use it on the course. Right now the steps to recreate requires understanding programming and databases. If enough interest then I could try to make it more user friendly.

The general steps are:
1. Obtain or create course data
2. Zip
3. Encode
4. Update db on the motoactv
5. upload the course from steps 1-3
6. reset. Unsure if this is needed, but it is usually prudent.

I have root, but it seems like no root is needed for this method.

More description is covered here:
http://www.wanderinghuman.com/blog/archives/000121.html

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWMR ported

Hello,

I have ported CWMR 5.0.2.7 to the Motoactv (F100) device.

actvcmwr.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

The procedure for this is as follows. You MUST have working adb knowledge to use this and you must be able to restore using the available tool should any problems arise. This is considered an ALPHA release that may need additional work. I did not have access to the device during the port so all testing was done through TheEndGame7. THERE MAY BE ISSUES, you are warned.

1) Download this file: CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img
    2) adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img /data/local/
    3) adb shell (become root)
    4) dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    5) exit adb from the device
    6) adb reboot recovery (you should be in CWMR now)

The source for the device config is here. Please feel free to go wild with development on this because I do not have the device and likely won't be contributing much more except bug fixes. If you use this source, please give credit where it's due.

NOTE: there are missing images(known). This is because the ramdisk is EXTREMELY finicky on this device and it WILL NOT BOOT past 3.66mb in size. I trimmed out things that weren't needed in order to make this work. The basic functionality you need should be there. adb is also not functioning properly yet within recovery.

ramdisk config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_motorola_F100_initrd

device config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_device_motorola_F100

credits:
    koush for cwmr.
    TheEndGame7 for being my testing guinea pig.
    hashcode for some helpful insight.
    MotoACTV Easy Modder v0.1

Post removed, see below.
    Well, it was a *****, but here is build 2, moving to Beta at this point in 'Moto red' by request of TEG.

ayu6vRFV

There is 1 lingering issue: usb support in recovery. It is a bastard, going to really have to tear this thing apart to debug why. Right now, recovery can backup, restore, wipe, flash roms, etc. All the stuff you're used to working, now does. I fixed images by shrinking the kernel to fit more stuff in here. You should no longer get any weird image errors. I bumped you up to 5.0.2.8 source as well.

Flash this file the same as before via adb and dd.
    CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img

adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img /data/local/
    adb shell
    # dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    # exit
    adb reboot recovery

Some additional notes I'd like to share that might help you as you mess with this device now that I've played with one.

1) NEVER use adb reboot bootloader for any reason. You get stuck in a ****tily programmed loop of hell. The way out of this loop is by following these instructions:

a) hold START, POWER, VOL UP, VOL DOWN together for 10 seconds at least. You should see the screen flicker on and off twice.
    b) plug in the USB cable to turn device on
    c) you should boot back to rom, if not, do it again. It's touchy.

2) The 'soft' reset is done by START + POWER for 5 seconds.

Enjoy. Source is updated. This will likely be the last update unless I get adb working.

Credits: koush for cwmr
    TheEndGame7 for providing a device
    ClearD for files
    Attached is the latest copy of my MotoACTV Easy Modder v1.0. This is a MAJOR upgrade! Adds numerous features and completely revises how backups are stored on the computer. Need to use 7zip to extract it, wouldn't let me upload that big of a .zip file.

To make this version see your old backups, open your IMGs folder, make a new folder (no spaces), drag all your old .img files into it.

ChangeLog:
    v1.0 Updated 1/16/12
    - Redesigned GUI
    - Integrated SuperOneClick (Very basic at the moment)
    - Backup (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Restore (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Added more Button Remaps (21 configurations)
    - Run Custom ADB commands
    - Run Custom Fastboot commands

v0.8 Updated 1/12/12
    - Fixed a few errors
    - Made ADB pause until a device is detected before continuing
    - New method of button remapping (DELETE "Keypads" folder from previous version)
    - Cleaned code

v0.6 Updated 01/09/12
    - Backup
    - Now supports multiple images
    - Restore / Flash
    - Flash Custom Boot.img
    - Implemented Userdata Restore
    - Implemented System and Userdata Restore
    - Mods
    - Install Custom APKs
    - Tools
    - Remount filesystem as Read/Write
    - Modified "Clean '/system/app'"

v0.1 Initial Release
    - Backup (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Restore (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Remap Buttons (7 different configurations)
    - Install Launcher (Honeycomb and Zeam)
    - Replace Stock PackageInstaller.apk with one from CyanogenMod
    - Remove MotoCRAP (Strip '/system/app')
    - Restart MotoACTV
    - Stop ADB (Enables MotoSync and Mass Storage)

Future Plans:
    - Market Installer
    - Port scripts to *nix and Mac

Screenshots:
    http://xdaforums.com/album.php?albumid=5789

Download:
    Newer version posted later in thread. Page 55.
    Working on an All-in-One batch file with an easy to use menu to try and make the alleviate some problems people are having so that the IRC can be used more for development progress and creative ideas rather than support.

Features:
    - Backup (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Restore (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Install Launcher (Honeycomb and Zeam)
    - Replace PackageInstaller.apk
    - Remap Buttons (7 configurations)
    - Restart
    - Stop ADB (Enables MotoSync and Mass Storage)

Attached are a few screenshots. Let me know if there is anything else I should include.