SetCPU and overclocking

Search This thread

coolestmage

Feb 8, 2010
springfield, mo
Since SetCPU was updated today to support the tegra II chip, I thought I would just give you all a heads up. Hope to see some kernels compiled with overclocking slots soon.

coolestmage

Feb 8, 2010
springfield, mo
There are a few other apps and methods to overclock. The newest version of setcpu is able to see the slots in clemsyn's kernel, but they don't exceed 1ghz.

Sent from my Droid using XDA App

miphonematt

Feb 25, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.deserteuphoria.com
Wrong section.

At any rate, I'm sure once coolbho3000 puts his overclock code in github, the kernel devs around here may be able to get these puppies overclocked as well. The difference being that the Xoom as a .36 based kernel as where we are still running .32 based kernels, so there is just as much chance that it doesn't port.

When posting, think of the content and context. This thread is about an app. But this section is for Guides, Kernels, and ROMs to be released. I know this section is where most folks spend most or all of their timing reading/posting, but there are 4 sections for a reason, to keep content organized and relevant. Let's help the mods do that by posting in the appropriate section.

collindv

Jun 28, 2007
Wrong section.

At any rate, I'm sure once coolbho3000 puts his overclock code in github, the kernel devs around here may be able to get these puppies overclocked as well. The difference being that the Xoom as a .36 based kernel as where we are still running .32 based kernels, so there is just as much chance that it doesn't port.

When posting, think of the content and context. This thread is about an app. But this section is for Guides, Kernels, and ROMs to be released. I know this section is where most folks spend most or all of their timing reading/posting, but there are 4 sections for a reason, to keep content organized and relevant. Let's help the mods do that by posting in the appropriate section.

Am I missing something? Isn't this in the general section?

Why do there seem to be so many self imposed forum police these days? Seems like half the posts I see are people *****ing at the op

Blades

Aug 11, 2008
There is a big difference between 36 and 32. Honestly, I only assume this from looking at the latest 38 rc commits and comparing the two. But it seems to be significant, even in its comments and verbosity. What's missing is cpu-tegra.c or the cpufreq driver for tegra written by Colin Cross (android dev) - instead we have NVIDIA's cryptic cpufreq.c .. I can barely understand what's going on with most code.. but it seems like our kernel version is from a time where NVIDIA's code was still being sorted thru by the aforementioned Google dev.

thebadfrog

Nov 28, 2010

Why do there seem to be so many self imposed forum police these days? Seems like half the posts I see are people *****ing at the op

Because we are supposed to self police ourselves otherwise the mods just close our forum.

thebadfrog

Nov 28, 2010
however I can alter the speed up or down...and check off set on boot..

Yes and so can I. I can also set the governor with a script or manually. They kernel for the GTab has 2 settings....performance and powersave... and as far as I know setcpu doesnt support the .32 kernel that GTab has. It does support the .36 kernel that the xoom has.

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets

I (one of the two mods) moved this into the General section where it should be. It had been in the Development section which wasn't the right place.

And thebadfrog is correct - we (as a community) benefit when everyone helps everyone out - including making sure posts are created in the right spot, and aren't just another variation on a question that might have been asked 15,245,332 times before.

Kayak83

Jul 23, 2010
The gtbalet's benchmark is around 2,500. The overclocked Xoom got 2850. Standard Xoom @ 1Ghz got 2,150.

Am I missing something???? If the gtablet could be OC'd that would be huge.

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
wondering if the xoom setcpu profile would jive w/ our tablets?

The gtbalet's benchmark is around 2,500. The overclocked Xoom got 2850. Standard Xoom @ 1Ghz got 2,150.

Am I missing something???? If the gtablet could be OC'd that would be huge.

The profiles won't until the AOSP frequency scaling is imported into the kernel sources - and that's not an easy process. Then the kernel will have to be compiled, etc.

Yes - it'd be nice to be OC'd - but battery life would be affected. It's a tradeoff in many ways....

Kayak83

Jul 23, 2010
The profiles won't until the AOSP frequency scaling is imported into the kernel sources - and that's not an easy process. Then the kernel will have to be compiled, etc.

Yes - it'd be nice to be OC'd - but battery life would be affected. It's a tradeoff in many ways....

On my OG Droid I like being able to drop the speed for battery savings when the screen is off if it's not in use. So there's more in it than just big numbers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wrong section.

For those of us who aren't familiar with the overclocking process, could someone please tell us which one of all those files to get and do what?

on the blog post? flash the file according to the OS version you have.

You'll want to grab either froyo (no _gb in filename) or gingerbread (_gb in filename), under ViewSonic Gtablet/Malata Zpad (first section of downloads).

then follow what it says regarding setcpu (making the proper selection in setcpu to get the frequencies).
    I never have the right device!

Im gonna wait till the wifi only xoom comes out, but what are the odds the Gtab will get an OC?
    This thread is full of fail, can we just burn it ceremonially?