SPB Weather Aussie Weather Source

Search This thread

thedeva

Sep 17, 2005
Melbourne
Hi All,

As requested, find attached weather sources for SPB weather.
There are two scripts below, one basic and one detailed. Instruction on how to use are in the the templates, so just open in notepad to view the 'how to'. I use the basic one, but have a play as you can go down to each states weather centres.
Weather is then sourced from www.weatherzone.com.au.
I take no credit for this script and a big thanks to recrem (from the now closed Mtekk forum) for updating a while back.
Enjoy,

Dev

Attachments

• recrem_detailed_wz.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 394

buzz83

Dec 21, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks again Dev,

Just downloading your weather files now (after trawling through whirlpool all morning looking for your post). I was happy using the one in SPB mobile shell until today... it forecasts 30 for today and it is much closer to 34... all the news channels were saying 34, so obviously they got their data from a more reliable source.

:cool:

bedlam_au

Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
Works great with SPB Traveler, but has anyone made it work with the SPB panel's weather? It seems to take its data from Traveler when Traveler is installed, but if you select a custom city, the panel's weather screen just tells you that "No weather data has been downloaded".

buzz83

Dec 21, 2008
Newcastle
Works great with SPB Traveler, but has anyone made it work with the SPB panel's weather? It seems to take its data from Traveler when Traveler is installed, but if you select a custom city, the panel's weather screen just tells you that "No weather data has been downloaded".

There is no need to create a custom city (unless it's not in the list).

There are full instructions in the template file (open with notepad).

It is working fine for me... apart from a few issues with weather icons not showing up from time to time.

bedlam_au

Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
There is no need to create a custom city (unless it's not in the list).

There are full instructions in the template file (open with notepad).

It is working fine for me... apart from a few issues with weather icons not showing up from time to time.

As I said, it works fine in SPB Traveler. Where it doesn't work is with SPB's custom X1 panel. The weather icon on its "Today" screen is just a sun with N/A where the temp should be. Tapping on that icon, which normally shows the next 4 days, has a message along the lines of "The weather data hasn't been downloaded.

I'm assuming it's because those scripts produce temperatures and icons in a slightly different format. Traveler can handle it but the Panel can't. It'd need someone with a bit more script nerdery than me to reformat those scripts to something the Panel's weather routine can read.

thedeva

Sep 17, 2005
Melbourne
As I said, it works fine in SPB Traveler. Where it doesn't work is with SPB's custom X1 panel. The weather icon on its "Today" screen is just a sun with N/A where the temp should be. Tapping on that icon, which normally shows the next 4 days, has a message along the lines of "The weather data hasn't been downloaded.

I'm assuming it's because those scripts produce temperatures and icons in a slightly different format. Traveler can handle it but the Panel can't. It'd need someone with a bit more script nerdery than me to reformat those scripts to something the Panel's weather routine can read.

Yes, only SPB weather can read the scripts to display the correct icons. So if you don't have SPB weather loaded, its no good as Shell Panel doesn't work with it.

Dev

thedeva

Sep 17, 2005
Melbourne
Revised Detailed Script to fix missing codes

Hi all,

It would seems weatherzone.com.au have now stopped displaying the city code number in the URL address as per the instruction in the template.

So I have modified the template so you can now get it to work if you don't know your suburbs code.

Instructions are at the top of the file, so just open with notepad and you'll be off and running.

Enjoy.

Dev

Attachments

• TheDeva_detailed_wz.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 144

buzz83

Dec 21, 2008
Newcastle
Hi all,

It would seems weatherzone.com.au have now stopped displaying the city code number in the URL address as per the instruction in the template.

So I have modified the template so you can now get it to work if you don't know your suburbs code.

Instructions are at the top of the file, so just open with notepad and you'll be off and running.

Enjoy.

Dev

You have proved yourself yet again dev.
SPB Weather was giving me the #$%s on the weekend, but I was house hunting and didn't have time to play around with it.

Looks like you've done the job very nicely.

Thanks again:D

bedlam_au

Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
For reasons I can't begin to understand, it would seem the issues with SPB Traveler messing with the SPB Panel's weather are resolved by installing SPB Weather.

If I was being scientific about it, I'd see if it works in isolation without Traveler or if this new version of the script has anything to do with it. But I'm not.

So for now, the combination of Traveler + Weather + current script by TheDeva = correct weather now being displayed in the SPB Mobile Shell Panel. Some weather icons are N/A, but at least the temperature is correct and not 10 degrees out like it used to be. (What are these other websites using as the source of their information??)

:)

redwood2

Mar 2, 2009
Ballarat
Thankyou to 'thedeva' for the modified spb weather script... the programs now works and it gives the same forcasts that we get on ABC weather.. so that accuracy helps alot.
One thing I have noticed is that there is never an icon for the next days weather. e.g. today is tuesday, and there is no icon for wedneday's forcast. Tomorrow after I update, there will be no icon for the next day. I have Ballarat and Melbourne as the cities I watch, but neither will display the next day's icon using this template... when i go back to the default spb scripts all is good, just lousy weather forcasts...
I have looked at the script, but I can't see where the fault lies... any ideas please ?
David

danalive

Jul 24, 2008
Melbourne
Hi All,

I have read all the templates and comments and cannot get the weather to display correctly. I have mobile shell installed as well as SPB weather. The custom city of melbourne has been added with directions supplied by 'thedeva'. I get the dreaded N/A on the professional Now screen. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dan.

glimjoon

Aug 18, 2009
SPB v1.7 with Melbourne?

Hi guys,

I have SPB 1.7 (which is more lightweight than the current) and am trying to get it to work with the script.

It doesn't say in the script which "City Code Type" to use but I've tried all 3 (user defined, ICAO and GisMeteo.ru) with no luck.

I've set Custom City with "vic/melbourne/melbourne".

I get a "Error downloading data from site". I'm pretty sure I have connectivity as I see the HSPDA connection go and if it's in the crade the sync marks go (and other apps update).

Can anyone assist?

Cheers,
Gavan

orelsi

Jan 1, 2009
I believe SPB Wather older than version 2 are obsolete and don't have any support/sources for them.

glimjoon

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks Orlesi - can anyone else also confirm it won't work with v1.7? I've been deliberately running the older version for a smaller simpler lightweight forecaster.

ginloin

Oct 24, 2006
I've come late to this, so hopefully someone is still monitoring it. I installed the script and my forecast now comes from the BOM. The only part I didn't understand when reading through the script is how to get the Mobile Shell widget to display the weather. I simply get N/A. Is this by design and unavoidable, or is it possible to fix it?

More importantly, my current temperature seems to be wrong. It seems to still be getting that part from the 'Default Source', even though I've disabled that. It's 37 degrees here today right now, and Weatherzone agrees. But SPB Weather is showing only 31, which is the temperature the 'Default Source' thinks it is. Also, when I tap the current temperature, it says the 'location' is 'Adelaide Intl', which again is the location of the 'Default Source', not the Weatherzone source. So even though I've set Weatherzone as default, and all the long range forecasts seem to be using it and are correct per the BOM site, the current temperature seems to be sourcing from the standard SPB Weather 'Default Source' still, even though I've said 'Don't use this source' (and under sources, it shows as 'This source is not used'). Is there something I need to change in the script to get it to display the current weather from the weatherzone source?

Sorry if I've missed something obvious.

EDIT: Please forgive me, I realised that I had used the default city in SPB weather, which I think is why I was getting the Default Source data for the current temperature. I set up a custom city and it seems to not be be drawing from the default source now. Except now, there seems to be no current temperature. Well, the field is there, but it's actually only showing the forecasted maximum there, not the actual temperature. When I tap it, all I see are the forecasted maximums, no data for when the reading was taken. I'll keep looking but if anyone has any idea why this is happening, I'd appreciate your input. I see there is something written about exactly this behaviour in the script, but I can't work out if that's just saying 'that's how it is' or whether there is a way to fix it? Sorry for being such a noob!

Last edited:

_Robert_

Sep 4, 2007
Over the last few days or so, this weather template seems to have stopped working. I suspect that there have been modifications on the weatherzone.com.au website. If anybody has managed to fix the template, I would much appreciate it :D

philzgr8

Aug 4, 2006
Melbourne
Over the last few days or so, this weather template seems to have stopped working. I suspect that there have been modifications on the weatherzone.com.au website. If anybody has managed to fix the template, I would much appreciate it :D
Yep. I have found the same thing. Today is the last date for which data was downloaded and I guess that it was downloaded about 7 days ago. Without a fix I guess I will be forced to use a US source which will in fact render SPB Weather useless.