[Q] I think I've killed it

Search This thread

zeb1801

Aug 3, 2010
I have a UK Xoom WiFi (604) which I only recently bought reconditioned and it was in perfect order - you would have said it was brand new.

I also have a Galaxy S3 and S3 mini which I rooted and both are running KitKat and both are great so, I thought I would do the same with my new Xoom, and thats where the trouble started.

After some reading here on the forum, I followed this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2506997

I thought I had followed everything to the letter, but now I can no longer load recovery - screen just shows TWRP loading screen (the blue screen with TWRP) and the tablet freezes at this point.

When I try to load fastboot (I did successfully unlock the boot loader) I get "Starting Fastboot protocol support." and my Xoom freezes again, and when I try RDS I get "Starting RSD protocol support 3 "

Can someone help me here or have I killed it?:crying:

zeb1801

Aug 3, 2010
Fixed it - managed to get into fastboot and reinstalled factory image using adb, updated OTA once booting again and back to where I was with a fully functional Android 4.0.4 tablet - happy once again :D

How'd you do it?

Fixed it - managed to get into fastboot and reinstalled factory image using adb, updated OTA once booting again and back to where I was with a fully functional Android 4.0.4 tablet - happy once again :D

Would you mind a few details? Exactly which firmware file did you use? Please post a link or PM me.

How do you use ADB from Fastboot?

I'm in the same spot with a Xoom which has lost recovery but does have fastboot and rsd. For some reason, nothing I flash to it (without error, mind you) is there after and I'm stuck at the M.

Thanks! :confused:

zeb1801

Aug 3, 2010
This is what I did - All of these instructions were done on an Windows-based PC, This is not my work - I found this info on the web.

You'll need a USB data cable, Motorola drivers, an original system image of the Xoom firmware - I got mine from this thread on here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1049485 and part of the ADB SDK - I got this from here http://www.android.net/forum/downloading/67/guest/SDK_tools.zip - extract this zip to the root of your C: drive so the folder looks like this: C:/SDK_tools

Once you have downloaded the correct system image for your device (I used Build H.6.2-24 for Retail Europe as I have a Xoom WiFi 604) extract all the files from the zip and copy them into the SDK_tools folder, make sure they are not in a sub-folder - they should be in the same directory as the fastboot files. The directory contents should look similar to this - don't worry if its not identical - as long as your img files are there together with adb and fastboot you should be OK:

adb.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll
boot.img
ddms.bat
fastboot.exe
recovery.img
system.img
userdata.img

Make sure you also have the Motorola windows drivers installed.

Once you've done this turn on your Xoom and enter fastboot (power on with power button plus vol+ then after 3 seconds press Vol- till you get fastboot on screen) as long as you see "Starting fastboot protocol support" on your Xoom screen it should work. Connect your Xoom to your PC via the USB cable. Open a command prompt on your PC and cd into the SDK_tools directory. Once in there type the following commands at the C:> prompt one at a time:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock

This should completely restore your Xoom to factory and lock the bootloader. This will allow official updates to download and should get you back to original.

This worked on my UK Xoom WiFi and allowed me to install official OTA updates from Motorola. The first time I ran the above I left my Xoom unlocked but was then unable to update OTA.

I hope the above is helpful. As I've said this is not my work and was gathered together from resources on the internet. It worked for me so hopefully will work for you too - good luck and let me know how you get on.

Last edited:

inick73376

Sep 20, 2011
Joliet
This is what I did - All of these instructions were done on an Windows-based PC, This is not my work - I found this info on the web.

You'll need a USB data cable, Motorola drivers, an original system image of the Xoom firmware - I got mine from this thread on here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1049485 and part of the ADB SDK - I got this from here http://www.android.net/forum/downloading/67/guest/SDK_tools.zip - extract this zip to the root of your C: drive so the folder looks like this: C:/SDK_tools

Once you have downloaded the correct system image for your device (I used Build H.6.2-24 for Retail Europe as I have a Xoom WiFi 604) extract all the files from the zip and copy them into the SDK_tools folder, make sure they are not in a sub-folder - they should be in the same directory as the fastboot files. The directory contents should look similar to this - don't worry if its not identical - as long as your img files are there together with adb and fastboot you should be OK:

adb.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
AdbWinUsbApi.dll
boot.img
ddms.bat
fastboot.exe
recovery.img
system.img
userdata.img

Make sure you also have the Motorola windows drivers installed.

Once you've done this turn on your Xoom and enter fastboot (power on with power button plus vol+ then after 3 seconds press Vol- till you get fastboot on screen) as long as you see "Starting fastboot protocol support" on your Xoom screen it should work. Connect your Xoom to your PC via the USB cable. Open a command prompt on your PC and cd into the SDK_tools directory. Once in there type the following commands at the C:> prompt one at a time:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock

This should completely restore your Xoom to factory and lock the bootloader. This will allow official updates to download and should get you back to original.

This worked on my UK Xoom WiFi and allowed me to install official OTA updates from Motorola. The first time I ran the above I left my Xoom unlocked but was then unable to update OTA.

I hope the above is helpful. As I've said this is not my work and was gathered together from resources on the internet. It worked for me so hopefully will work for you too - good luck and let me know how you get on.

OMG you are a legend :D you just saved my XOOM :p