IT EXISTS: LG Hardshell In Depth Case Review(s) – So close yet so far!!

Search This thread

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
This is going to be a long post, so I figured I would just make a new thread. I welcome anyone else to add their reviews, opinions, and pictures here as well (or if you disagree with me, let me know). The other thread was getting quite long anyway, so a new one full of reviews from people who have it would be nice.

So, does it live up to the hype? How sexy is that Nexus logo? I know some of you already have it, but here’s my take on it.

Maple Syrup:
White:http://www.puremobile.ca/lg-aaa75187802-hardshell-nexus-5-white
Black: http://www.puremobile.ca/lg-aaa75187801-hardshell-nexus-5-black

Football:
White: http://www.puremobile.com/lg-aaa75187802-hardshell-nexus-5-white
Black: http://www.puremobile.com/lg-aaa75187801-hardshell-nexus-5-black

Cup-o-Tea:
White: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/lg-official-nexus-5-bumper-white-p42340.htm
Black: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/lg-official-nexus-5-bumper-black-p42351.htm
Red: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/lg-official-nexus-5-shell-case-red-p42344.htm

I was lucky enough to pick it up when it was $14.99, then got a 10% discount on top of it before they caught on and bumped the price/killed the discount. So all in, came to $14.16 CAD. Not bad for an OEM case. It’s currently listed as $17.99 in Canada/US, and £24.99 in UK. For Canada and US that’s still a pretty good price, but UK I think is getting the shaft here.

Now you probably already know I love my quicksand hardcases. To me nothing is going to beat those $0.99 lovelies. The look, feel, and texture of the quicksand cases can’t be beat in my eyes. But, sometimes a guy just wants that NEXUS logo showing proud. It’s an amazing phone, and deserves attention every now and then.

That’s where this case was supposed to come in. I have a lot of hardcases already (10+); the prospect of an OEM hardcase with NEXUS printed down the centre was too hard to pass up. It was enough to consider occasionally pulling me away from my quicksands. Pearly white, tri-side coverage, sleek and thin, stormtrooper/panda look, and the NEXUS logo down the middle. It could have been perfect. But alas, unicorns don’t exist and puremobile lied to me as well…

When I asked them, they confirmed to me the Nexus logo was there. I said I would cancel my order if it wasn’t, as that was the only reason I ordered it. They said yes… but it really wasn’t… 

Anyway, enough of my wallowing in self-pity… Is this case still good despite the logo being absent? I know my main reason for ordering it is gone, but if it’s still a great case, those of you who don’t care about the logo might be in for a treat. So let’s get to reviewing.

7c15Tw1.jpg
9kB4pGZ.jpg

Construction:

The material is standard issue polycarbonate hard plastic. I have the white case, so can’t comment on black. It is a matte finish similar (if not the same) as my white Ringke Slim. It has a nice feel, albeit a bit slippery if you have dry hands. Also, when I say feel, I mean it’s almost nonexistent. This case adds next to no bulk. I would consider this more of a skin (a hard skin) than an actual case.

This case is thin. I mean super thin. When Ringke Slim and Spigen Ultra Fit say they’re thin, this case takes a gander at them and tells them they’ve been eating too much cake! That is good and bad. For me, I’m a minimalist, I want a case that’s there, but isn’t there. Scuff and scratch protection is all I want, and this case literally follows ONLY that, anyone expecting this to give you any protection beyond scratch only is dreaming. Take this into consideration, my quicksand cases seem like otterboxes in comparison to this.

With how thin this case is, you should realize that it will offer ZERO impact protection. I can’t emphasize that enough. Since there is next to no bulk, there is next to no case. It is very thin, so dropping your phone with this case on, is like dropping your phone naked (which is why I said the case is more like a hard skin). So for those of you who may drop your phones, don’t buy it. For minimalists, you may like it.

Honestly, this case reminds me of the 0.3mm TPU cases that were available on ebay. Only this is a better plastic and higher quality mold. If I didn’t know any better, I would seriously say those 0.3mm cases were the “beta test” design for this case. (If you saw my opinion on those 0.3mm cases, I hated them…) The different type of plastic used and the slightly more rigid feel, make it substantially better than the 0.3mm TPU cases.

You can see here, the striking similarities between the LG Hardshell and the 0.3mm TPU ebay cases:
9Oy0eaK.jpg

Fit on the Phone:

This hardcase has tri-side coverage. Most hardcases as you know stick to covering the sides, the back, and some of the corners. And they snap into place with a lip that hooks over the sides/face of the phone. This also creates that “face down” gap that lifts the screen off when you place your phone screen down (don’t know why people would do that though…).

The LG hardshell gets rid of the lip and hook method of securing the case to the phone and adds top coverage in its place. This fundamentally changes how the case attaches to the phone. It is not hooked on and snapped in place. It follows the contours of the phone and hugs the sides tightly. Since the phone is wider in the back and narrower in the front (Dat Azz), the case follows those dimensions and holds itself in place just by shape alone. By hugging the sides instead of snapping in place, the LG hardcase does not create the face down gap. So, if you have this case, don’t put your phone screen down.

You can see the design difference and lack of lip the LG hardcase has vs. one of my quicksand cases.
ZKpqQ3Z.jpg
yaNLCt5.jpg

The fact that this case does not snap on also means it will be less likely to scratch the corners of your phone. This case does not attach in the same way as a normal hardcase (it attaches by hugging the sides only) (remember Dat Azz). There is no lip to catch on the corners, so you can slide it on and off without worrying as much about scratches.

The downside of course, is the lack of the ability to place your phone face down. If you’re the type of person who likes to put your phone down like that, be aware. Again, this case is more of a skin than an actual case. For pure minimalists, this case is fantastic (I just want the damn NEXUS logo….)

Here you can see that face down, the case is actually lifted off of the table. That’s full on screen contact there.
z4iarDc.jpg
TYn4Z7u.jpg

The volume and power buttons I also find to be a bit odd to press. There is no problem pressing them, but the narrow cutouts make the feel a bit weird. It’s hard to explain, but I prefer the cutouts to be a little bigger, like standard hardcases where the cutout goes behind the back a bit.

Build Quality:

Okay, this is a bit tricky. In terms of design, button cutouts, and everything lining up perfectly, it does the job very well. The camera and flash cutouts are perfect, the volume and power button cutouts are centred nicely, and the headphone jack cutout lines up perfect as well. Don’t worry about not fitting fatter headphone jacks on with this case attached. The case is so thin that it doesn’t even matter. In terms of cutouts and fit, this case did very well.

0W2JIIR.jpg
s424WWP.jpg

back1.jpg
top1.jpg

cut3.jpg
cut4.jpg

Now the tricky part, since this case is so thin, the actual case itself is quite flimsy. There is only so much strength you can get out of a ridiculously thin piece of plastic (remember, think hard skin vs. case). It bends very easily, and honestly, I think if you bent it a little too much it would crack easily, make a crease in the plastic, or even tear. Add in cold weather, and I think it could crack with a gentle bump if the plastic got cold enough. If you were to compare this case vs. a quicksand in terms of strength, feel, and durability; the quicksand case easily takes it no question. If you were to compare this case vs. a Ringke Slim or Spigen Ultra fit, this case takes it in terms of fit/finish/detail, but both the Ringke Slim and Spigen Ultra Fit are more durable cases.

So in terms of build quality, this is a mixed bag.

Will I keep it?:

I was contemplating whether or not I would keep this case. If it impressed me enough despite not having the NEXUS logo on it, I would keep it. Honestly, after testing it out for a while, it’s going back. I like the minimalism and look, but the actual feel in hand for me was a turn off. It reminded me too much of the 0.3mm TPU cases, and this is what I thought of those when I posted it here. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49827734&postcount=44
PazuG1C.jpg

The slipperiness, narrow power and volume cutouts, and it being a bit too flimsy for my liking really sealed the deal of the trip back. The surprising thing for me is, I would probably still send it back even if it did have the NEXUS logo on it. For some reason, I just don’t like the way it feels in the hand. It might be my love for the quicksand cases clouding my judgment, but it just doesn’t feel as nice in my hand. And that’s a big factor in a case for me. Looks are one thing, but feel is definitely important as well.

Surprisingly, this case, after the cluster!@#$ of information and wondering if it would ever come out, turned out to be a bit of a disappointment for me. Maybe I overhyped myself, or was just expecting too much, but I’m just not that impressed.

I think it all boils down to just feeling a bit too cheap and flimsy for my liking. For an OEM case, it just doesn’t hold up. I still think my $0.99 Quicksand cases have this beat hands down.

Feel free to add in your own reviews, as I’m sure there are a lot of people who will disagree with me

Pros:
- Perfectly centred cutouts
- Thinness (double edged sword here)
- Minimalism taken to the extreme

Cons:
- Narrow volume / power cutouts
- Flimsy/cheap feeling (due to the thinness... which is quite the conundrum)
- No face down lip (if you place your phone face down)
- No NEXUS logo

Last edited:

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
Good review. I don't really see the point in such a thin case. Adds bulk, decreases the feel of the device, and adds zero protection.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: mmmmBACON

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Good review. I don't really see the point in such a thin case. Adds bulk, decreases the feel of the device, and adds zero protection.

Thin cases such as these are meant for protection against scratches and small bumps. Personally, I don't like using a case any thicker than these thin hard shells :)

kellybrf

Nov 16, 2007
Google Pixel 8
mine came in today, and even sans the nexus logo this is by far the best case for me. I don't drop my phone and want it for scratch protection only so I want as close to nothing as possible. this fits like a glove. even the spigen ultra fit was too big for me, but this is definitely thinner. the black feels similar to the black nexus, but is slightly more slick. it reminds me of the bear motion super slim, with just a bit more grip. I'm very disappointed there is no nexus logo, it's the only thing that is holding this back from being truly perfect, but I'll be keeping this and stop looking for other cases

Reactions: mmmmBACON

Atticustrd

Aug 2, 2010
I like how it makes the black Nexus look like the white version. I'll probably keep mine once I get it. How's the material with picking up stains or smudges? I hate how all whites cases I've owned get dirty after a week.

On a side note, do you happen to know which eBay listing has a Quicksand case in red, not watermelon color. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Jason_MCG

Dec 11, 2010
I was just about to write an in-depth review, but you beat me to it. :(

For me, this is the perfect case. The fit is precise and covers what can be covered, it's extremely thin (by far the slimmest case I've used), and it has the very same soft touch finish as a naked Nexus 5. However, if you're the adventurous sort, this case probably isn't for you; it has no lip (the case sits a hair lower than the front face), it's not made of sturdy plastic, and the jury is out on whether or not the white will stain over time. It's clearly not meant to protect your phone from a fall, but it will protect it from normal day-to-day use for most. But other than that, this is about as near naked as you could hope for if you're in the market for a minimal case.

Hopefully Bacon doesn't mind, but I've attached a few more macro shots for good measure...

GCGmKhsl.jpg

80ILD2Bl.jpg

blSFG9Ll.jpg

TrI0XFFl.jpg

NBYof33l.jpg

Last edited:

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Awesomely done review! :D Thanks for taking the time to do this review even though you're not keeping the case. Very good read :)

Thanks, and no problem.

I like how it makes the black Nexus look like the white version. I'll probably keep mine once I get it. How's the material with picking up stains or smudges? I hate how all whites cases I've owned get dirty after a week.

On a side note, do you happen to know which eBay listing has a Quicksand case in red, not watermelon color. Thanks.

Well I didn't use it terribly long (I am returning it, so it's wiped clean and repackaged haha) and I wanted to keep it in new shape. But from the time I used it smudges were not visible. It's a matte finish, so it won't show smudges clearly. As for stains, I couldn't tell you. It just came out so most people haven't even had it for more than a couple of days.

As for the quicksand cases, the original ones I bought don't have it in red (only watermelon/orange/pink, or whatever colour that is supposed to be). There is this one (I've ordered white and red, they haven't arrived yet) but it isn't the exact same design, and some other xda members who have it say it isn't as high of quality as the one's I've posted about before. I had to get it though because I just wanted white and red quicksand cases to go along with the rest I've got.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Thin-Quicksand-Matte-Frosted-Case-Cover-Hard-for-Google-Nexus-5-/380788789723?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item58a8c7d1db

For me, this is the perfect case. The fit is precise and covers what can be covered, it's extremely thin (by far the slimmest case I've used), and it has the very same soft touch finish as a naked Nexus 5. However, if you're the adventurous sort, this case probably isn't for you; it has no lip (the case sits a hair lower than the front face), it's not made of sturdy plastic, and the jury is out on whether or not the white will stain over time. It's clearly not meant to protect your phone from a fall, but it will protect it from normal day-to-day use for most. But other than that, this is about as near naked as you could hope for if you're in the market for a minimal case.

Hopefully Bacon doesn't mind, but I've attached a few more macro shots for good measure...

Sorry about that. I didn't see one up and I got a request to do a review when I received it. Also I welcome the pictures! The more the better. And other reviews as well (I did put an "s" in the thread title). I know my opinion isn't going to match everyone else.

I was seriously surprised that I didn't like this case. I'm a minimalist and I thought this would be exactly what I was looking for. But for some reason, just a bunch of little things compounded into my not liking it.

Last edited:

Jason_MCG

Dec 11, 2010
Sorry about that. I didn't see one up and I got a request to do a review when I received it. Also I welcome the pictures! The more the better. And other reviews as well (I did put an "s" in the thread title). I know my opinion isn't going to match everyone else.

I was seriously surprised that I didn't like this case. I'm a minimalist and I thought this would be exactly what I was looking for. But for some reason, just a bunch of little things compounded into my not liking it.

Don't apologize - it's a great review! I just didn't want you to think I was trying to hijack or anything. :p

I briefly entertained the thought of returning it because it is so thin and it's like you said: it's not going to really protect the phone. I'm not a clumsy person, but falls do happen...I just don't want my love of minimal to be an Achilles heel.

Atticustrd

Aug 2, 2010
I was looking at those Quicksand case couple days ago, let me know how those two cases turn-out. White and red are the exact color I'm looking to get next. I Pre-ordered the Spigen ultra fit case in red.

teambestyrandy

Mar 30, 2012
Poetic quicksand is really nice for about 4 bucks. Shipping is faster than the 2.99 generic quicksand. Both are extremely sleek and nicer than the lg case

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't apologize - it's a great review! I just didn't want you to think I was trying to hijack or anything. :p

I briefly entertained the thought of returning it because it is so thin and it's like you said: it's not going to really protect the phone. I'm not a clumsy person, but falls do happen...I just don't want my love of minimal to be an Achilles heel.

No worries.

Yeah, that was one of the main things I was thinking about. I love minimalism, and I don't need drop protection as I baby all of my devices, but if a drop did ever happen, this isn't protecting anything. With the (white) case on I feel I would be more likely to drop it compared to the (black) phone naked. It's quite slippery unless your hands have some moisture to them.

I was looking at those Quicksand case couple days ago, let me know how those two cases turn-out. White and red are the exact color I'm looking to get next. I Pre-ordered the Spigen ultra fit case in red.

Will do.

pemz82

Feb 11, 2014
Google Pixel 6
If you check out the mobilefun site (UK) there is the listing for Red as well as black and white - this has only appeared today.

No pictures as yet but im guessing this matches the red nexus 5 in colour.

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
How about scratches when you try to take off the case? Because the Ringke case had scratch all the corners of my phone :mad:

Tapatalked with my Nexus5(AKA The Hammerhead)

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Great review. I have to say it's infinitely superior to the 99p 0.3mm case I received (which had sharp edges and was rough to the touch, nothing like this OEM case). It's very similar to the OEM HTC One hard shell in that it doesn't have a lip but I much prefer that. My phone is always face up so it's a non-issues for me.

Yes, it's expensive foe us UK early adopters but I'm sure it'll end up cheaper once it's on eBay a bit more but I don't care

EDIT: @mmmmBACON - does it work with a wireless charger? I'd imagine so but just checking

Last edited:

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
How about scratches when you try to take off the case? Because the Ringke case had scratch all the corners of my phone :mad:

Tapatalked with my Nexus5(AKA The Hammerhead)

If you read the OP I talked about this case and any issues with scratched corners. I also have a Ringke Slim and have never had scratched corners. I made some videos on how to remove hardcases without scratching your phone.

Take a look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2601790

Great review. I have to say it's infinitely superior to the 99p 0.3mm case I received (which had sharp edges and was rough to the touch, nothing like this OEM case). It's very similar to the OEM HTC One hard shell in that it doesn't have a lip but I much prefer that. My phone is always face up so it's a non-issues for me.

Yes, it's expensive foe us UK early adopters but I'm sure it'll end up cheaper once it's on eBay a bit more but I don't care

EDIT: @mmmmBACON - does it work with a wireless charger? I'd imagine so but just checking

Thanks, it is definitely better quality than those 0.3mm TPU cases, but the feel in hand to me was too similar. Not the type of material and texture, but the shape, contours, and button layout. I think maybe if I had never bought those 0.3mm cases I might have liked this case more, but those were such crap, and this one was just similar enough in feel to remind me of them.

And there are no problems with wireless charging with this case on.

Reactions: EddyOS

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
If you read the OP I talked about this case and any issues with scratched corners. I also have a Ringke Slim and have never had scratched corners. I made some videos on how to remove hardcases without scratching your phone.

Take a look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2601790

And there are no problems with wireless charging with this case on.

The second time I took off the case, I tried your way from the video but I scratched the 2 left corners.....maybe I made something wrong.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is going to be a long post, so I figured I would just make a new thread. I welcome anyone else to add their reviews, opinions, and pictures here as well (or if you disagree with me, let me know). The other thread was getting quite long anyway, so a new one full of reviews from people who have it would be nice.

So, does it live up to the hype? How sexy is that Nexus logo? I know some of you already have it, but here’s my take on it.

Maple Syrup:
    White:http://www.puremobile.ca/lg-aaa75187802-hardshell-nexus-5-white
    Black: http://www.puremobile.ca/lg-aaa75187801-hardshell-nexus-5-black

Football:
    White: http://www.puremobile.com/lg-aaa75187802-hardshell-nexus-5-white
    Black: http://www.puremobile.com/lg-aaa75187801-hardshell-nexus-5-black

Cup-o-Tea:
    White: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/lg-official-nexus-5-bumper-white-p42340.htm
    Black: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/lg-official-nexus-5-bumper-black-p42351.htm
    Red: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/lg-official-nexus-5-shell-case-red-p42344.htm

I was lucky enough to pick it up when it was $14.99, then got a 10% discount on top of it before they caught on and bumped the price/killed the discount. So all in, came to $14.16 CAD. Not bad for an OEM case. It’s currently listed as $17.99 in Canada/US, and £24.99 in UK. For Canada and US that’s still a pretty good price, but UK I think is getting the shaft here.

Now you probably already know I love my quicksand hardcases. To me nothing is going to beat those $0.99 lovelies. The look, feel, and texture of the quicksand cases can’t be beat in my eyes. But, sometimes a guy just wants that NEXUS logo showing proud. It’s an amazing phone, and deserves attention every now and then.

That’s where this case was supposed to come in. I have a lot of hardcases already (10+); the prospect of an OEM hardcase with NEXUS printed down the centre was too hard to pass up. It was enough to consider occasionally pulling me away from my quicksands. Pearly white, tri-side coverage, sleek and thin, stormtrooper/panda look, and the NEXUS logo down the middle. It could have been perfect. But alas, unicorns don’t exist and puremobile lied to me as well…

When I asked them, they confirmed to me the Nexus logo was there. I said I would cancel my order if it wasn’t, as that was the only reason I ordered it. They said yes… but it really wasn’t… 

Anyway, enough of my wallowing in self-pity… Is this case still good despite the logo being absent? I know my main reason for ordering it is gone, but if it’s still a great case, those of you who don’t care about the logo might be in for a treat. So let’s get to reviewing.

7c15Tw1.jpg
    9kB4pGZ.jpg

Construction:

The material is standard issue polycarbonate hard plastic. I have the white case, so can’t comment on black. It is a matte finish similar (if not the same) as my white Ringke Slim. It has a nice feel, albeit a bit slippery if you have dry hands. Also, when I say feel, I mean it’s almost nonexistent. This case adds next to no bulk. I would consider this more of a skin (a hard skin) than an actual case.

This case is thin. I mean super thin. When Ringke Slim and Spigen Ultra Fit say they’re thin, this case takes a gander at them and tells them they’ve been eating too much cake! That is good and bad. For me, I’m a minimalist, I want a case that’s there, but isn’t there. Scuff and scratch protection is all I want, and this case literally follows ONLY that, anyone expecting this to give you any protection beyond scratch only is dreaming. Take this into consideration, my quicksand cases seem like otterboxes in comparison to this.

With how thin this case is, you should realize that it will offer ZERO impact protection. I can’t emphasize that enough. Since there is next to no bulk, there is next to no case. It is very thin, so dropping your phone with this case on, is like dropping your phone naked (which is why I said the case is more like a hard skin). So for those of you who may drop your phones, don’t buy it. For minimalists, you may like it.

Honestly, this case reminds me of the 0.3mm TPU cases that were available on ebay. Only this is a better plastic and higher quality mold. If I didn’t know any better, I would seriously say those 0.3mm cases were the “beta test” design for this case. (If you saw my opinion on those 0.3mm cases, I hated them…) The different type of plastic used and the slightly more rigid feel, make it substantially better than the 0.3mm TPU cases.

You can see here, the striking similarities between the LG Hardshell and the 0.3mm TPU ebay cases:
    9Oy0eaK.jpg

Fit on the Phone:

This hardcase has tri-side coverage. Most hardcases as you know stick to covering the sides, the back, and some of the corners. And they snap into place with a lip that hooks over the sides/face of the phone. This also creates that “face down” gap that lifts the screen off when you place your phone screen down (don’t know why people would do that though…).

The LG hardshell gets rid of the lip and hook method of securing the case to the phone and adds top coverage in its place. This fundamentally changes how the case attaches to the phone. It is not hooked on and snapped in place. It follows the contours of the phone and hugs the sides tightly. Since the phone is wider in the back and narrower in the front (Dat Azz), the case follows those dimensions and holds itself in place just by shape alone. By hugging the sides instead of snapping in place, the LG hardcase does not create the face down gap. So, if you have this case, don’t put your phone screen down.

You can see the design difference and lack of lip the LG hardcase has vs. one of my quicksand cases.
    ZKpqQ3Z.jpg
    yaNLCt5.jpg

The fact that this case does not snap on also means it will be less likely to scratch the corners of your phone. This case does not attach in the same way as a normal hardcase (it attaches by hugging the sides only) (remember Dat Azz). There is no lip to catch on the corners, so you can slide it on and off without worrying as much about scratches.

The downside of course, is the lack of the ability to place your phone face down. If you’re the type of person who likes to put your phone down like that, be aware. Again, this case is more of a skin than an actual case. For pure minimalists, this case is fantastic (I just want the damn NEXUS logo….)

Here you can see that face down, the case is actually lifted off of the table. That’s full on screen contact there.
    z4iarDc.jpg
    TYn4Z7u.jpg

The volume and power buttons I also find to be a bit odd to press. There is no problem pressing them, but the narrow cutouts make the feel a bit weird. It’s hard to explain, but I prefer the cutouts to be a little bigger, like standard hardcases where the cutout goes behind the back a bit.

Build Quality:

Okay, this is a bit tricky. In terms of design, button cutouts, and everything lining up perfectly, it does the job very well. The camera and flash cutouts are perfect, the volume and power button cutouts are centred nicely, and the headphone jack cutout lines up perfect as well. Don’t worry about not fitting fatter headphone jacks on with this case attached. The case is so thin that it doesn’t even matter. In terms of cutouts and fit, this case did very well.

0W2JIIR.jpg
    s424WWP.jpg

back1.jpg
    top1.jpg

cut3.jpg
    cut4.jpg

Now the tricky part, since this case is so thin, the actual case itself is quite flimsy. There is only so much strength you can get out of a ridiculously thin piece of plastic (remember, think hard skin vs. case). It bends very easily, and honestly, I think if you bent it a little too much it would crack easily, make a crease in the plastic, or even tear. Add in cold weather, and I think it could crack with a gentle bump if the plastic got cold enough. If you were to compare this case vs. a quicksand in terms of strength, feel, and durability; the quicksand case easily takes it no question. If you were to compare this case vs. a Ringke Slim or Spigen Ultra fit, this case takes it in terms of fit/finish/detail, but both the Ringke Slim and Spigen Ultra Fit are more durable cases.

So in terms of build quality, this is a mixed bag.

Will I keep it?:

I was contemplating whether or not I would keep this case. If it impressed me enough despite not having the NEXUS logo on it, I would keep it. Honestly, after testing it out for a while, it’s going back. I like the minimalism and look, but the actual feel in hand for me was a turn off. It reminded me too much of the 0.3mm TPU cases, and this is what I thought of those when I posted it here. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49827734&postcount=44
    PazuG1C.jpg

The slipperiness, narrow power and volume cutouts, and it being a bit too flimsy for my liking really sealed the deal of the trip back. The surprising thing for me is, I would probably still send it back even if it did have the NEXUS logo on it. For some reason, I just don’t like the way it feels in the hand. It might be my love for the quicksand cases clouding my judgment, but it just doesn’t feel as nice in my hand. And that’s a big factor in a case for me. Looks are one thing, but feel is definitely important as well.

Surprisingly, this case, after the cluster!@#$ of information and wondering if it would ever come out, turned out to be a bit of a disappointment for me. Maybe I overhyped myself, or was just expecting too much, but I’m just not that impressed.

I think it all boils down to just feeling a bit too cheap and flimsy for my liking. For an OEM case, it just doesn’t hold up. I still think my $0.99 Quicksand cases have this beat hands down.

Feel free to add in your own reviews, as I’m sure there are a lot of people who will disagree with me

Pros:
    - Perfectly centred cutouts
    - Thinness (double edged sword here)
    - Minimalism taken to the extreme

Cons:
    - Narrow volume / power cutouts
    - Flimsy/cheap feeling (due to the thinness... which is quite the conundrum)
    - No face down lip (if you place your phone face down)
    - No NEXUS logo

GCGmKhsl.jpg

80ILD2Bl.jpg

blSFG9Ll.jpg

TrI0XFFl.jpg

NBYof33l.jpg
    Awesomely done review! :D Thanks for taking the time to do this review even though you're not keeping the case. Very good read :)
    I got my RMA info, and they instructed me to use UPS. They gave me their account number as well, so shipping is covered by them. :good:

So if you are in Canada, and do want to return it due to the lack of NEXUS branding, then just be clear that you only ordered because it was advertised with NEXUS on it when you request an RMA with shipping. And just be nice, customer service (in general) will tend to be more willing to do things when you're not an ass.
    hey bacon how does the return for puremobile work?
    i live in Canada as well and i am thinking about returning it since it has no nexus logo.
    do they cover the shipping?

Well I had an email conversation with them before it shipped asking them if it had the Nexus logo and they said it did. When I asked for an RMA I told them that their webpage had pictures containing the Nexus logo and that their customer service also confirmed to me that it did.

I provided the email conversation and said it was a reasonable request to ask for shipping included as I had ordered it under the assumption it had the logo, and customer service's confirmation email had led me to believe it did. They didn't dispute it at all, and said they were sorry, and that the pictures were incorrect. I'll be receiving RMA information later today.

I think if you're just nice about requesting shipping included in your email to them you will be fine. Don't demand it, or be angry in communication. But clearly mention you request shipping included because you ONLY ordered the case as the photos on their website advertised it with a Nexus logo. Make it your primary reason that you ordered it specifically because of the logo. You are requesting an RMA with shipping as you believe it was falsely advertised. Then just say that the product you received did not match what they had posted. The RMA in this case is not because of a defective product or anything, it's because the product is not the same.

Does the white one has similar texture as the white N5 back?
    I have the white N5 and ordered both colors of the case. I opened the black one and I actually liked it. Now I'm not sure if I should return the white one because I don't quite like the texture of the white N5 back.

I don't have a white Nexus 5, but others have mentioned it is similar to the back, but not exact. It is slightly smoother/slippery. If your hands are dry, it slips around very easily.