[SOLVED] [Q] [HELP]Bricked HTC One (stuck in bootloop, green htc log)o

Search This thread

boksquare

Apr 13, 2014
Houston
First of all I would like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum or section. I just registered this account to ask for help regarding my bricked HTC One (m7ul). I am not a newbie to XDA as I have visited this site more than once to learn the fundamentals of rooting android phone and so on. I unlocked my bootloader via HTCDev and rooted it using CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.4.5. 3 weeks ago I flashed my HTC One to Probam (AOSB) custom rom, no problems were present, everything ran smoothly and perfectly. Then, 2 weeks ago, I decided to flash ElementalX kernel, being ignorant on purpose to the fact that it was meant for Sense Roms. Upom completion through Aroma Installer, I selected reboot system in recovery. Upon exit, the recovery told me that my phone could have possibly lost its root access and prompted me to root it so i just agreed. There came the problem upon reboot, I could not boot into my OS and I was stuck on the HTC screen. (May I add that I bought my HTC this year March. I S-offed it via Firewater as my Hboot version was 1.56 and Rumrunner couldn't help me S-Off. Advice for those who have hboot versions higher than 1.55 and want to S-off, Firewater is my suggestion. Just make sure you follow the guid also here on XDA forums accurately and I assure you can get s-off) As I was saying, as soon as that happened, I looked for solutions. I tried hasson 2000 all in one toolkit, I tried relocking my bootloader and runming RUU.exe file to return to stock firmware, I tried sideloading a rom in recovery, I tried mounting usb storage to copy a .zip rom into my internal storage but nothing happened. I tried flashing directly via fastboot but the cmd keep saying it couldnt run the file. I couldn't enter adb as the recovery said there is no os present. I really have no more idea what else I can do and I think I've tried just about everything. Please help as it's been 2 weeks into the brick and I'm really desperate. Please help :(
CID: HTC_044
Hboot:1.56
If there is more information needed please ask as I'm really desperate to fix my phone :C

Last edited:

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
First of all I would like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum or section. I just registered this account to ask for help regarding my bricked HTC One (m7ul). I am not a newbie to XDA as I have visited this site more than once to learn the fundamentals of rooting android phone and so on. I unlocked my bootloader via HTCDev and rooted it using CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.4.5. 3 weeks ago I flashed my HTC One to Probam (AOSB) custom rom, no problems were present, everything ran smoothly and perfectly. Then, 2 weeks ago, I decided to flash ElementalX kernel, being ignorant on purpose to the fact that it was meant for Sense Roms. Upom completion through Aroma Installer, I selected reboot system in recovery. Upon exit, the recovery told me that my phone could have possibly lost its root access and prompted me to root it so i just agreed. There came the problem upon reboot, I could not boot into my OS and I was stuck on the HTC screen. (May I add that I bought my HTC this year March. I S-offed it via Firewater as my Hboot version was 1.56 and Rumrunner couldn't help me S-Off. Advice for those who have hboot versions higher than 1.55 and want to S-off, Firewater is my suggestion. Just make sure you follow the guid also here on XDA forums accurately and I assure you can get s-off) As I was saying, as soon as that happened, I looked for solutions. I tried hasson 2000 all in one toolkit, I tried relocking my bootloader and runming RUU.exe file to return to stock firmware, I tried sideloading a rom in recovery, I tried mounting usb storage to copy a .zip rom into my internal storage but nothing happened. I tried flashing directly via fastboot but the cmd keep saying it couldnt run the file. I couldn't enter adb as the recovery said there is no os present. I really have no more idea what else I can do and I think I've tried just about everything. Please help as it's been 2 weeks into the brick and I'm really desperate. Please help :(
If there is more information needed please ask as I'm really desperate to fix my phone :C

you do realize what you posted is not readable... right? sorry, but i sort of tried reading it, but :eek:

break it down into smaller parts.

Reactions: boksquare

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
(...)
I unlocked my bootloader via HTCDev and rooted it using CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.4.5.
(...)
I flashed my HTC One to Probam (AOSB) custom rom, no problems were present,
(...)
I decided to flash ElementalX kernel, being ignorant on purpose to the fact that it was meant for Sense Roms.
(...)
I could not boot into my OS and I was stuck on the HTC screen.
(...)
I S-offed it via Firewater
(...)
Did you tried to flash an AOSP compatible kernel after you realized you couldn't boot the phone?

I tried hasson 2000 all in one toolkit
You should use fastboot and adb from cmd prompt instead of toolkit.

I tried relocking my bootloader and runming RUU.exe file to return to stock firmware,
Re-locking bootloader to run a ruu.exe is not required when you have S-OFF. Anyway what was the error code when the RUU exe failed? And what was the ruu version?

I tried sideloading a rom in recovery
What happened? What was the error? What rom?

I tried mounting usb storage to copy a .zip rom into my internal storage but nothing happened.
If you can mount your usb storage with your rom.zip on it, you don't need to copy it to your sdcard! Just install the rom from your mounted usb storage... You said ''nothing happened'' Was there any error code?

I tried flashing directly via fastboot but the cmd keep saying it couldnt run the file.
Wait?! You can't flash a rom.zip from fastboot, only from custom recovery. The only thing you can flash from fastboot is a recovery or a ruu/firmware from fastboot RUU mode.

I couldn't enter adb as the recovery said there is no os present.
ADB should work from custom recovery even if you don't have an OS installed.

(...)

post the output of ''fastboot getvar all'' except IMEI. With S-OFF it should be quite easy to make your phone boot again...

Reactions: boksquare and nkk71

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
he flashed a sense kernel to an aosp rom and is in bootloop as near as i can tell

he's s-off hboot 1.56 and needs a RUU I assume

still... if (yes IF) i learned anything in school "run-on" sentences are a NO-NO!! (and i'm not even talking about english schools)

boksquare

Apr 13, 2014
Houston
Did you tried to flash an AOSP compatible kernel after you realized you couldn't boot the phone?
- No, I downloaded and flashed the kernel on my One while I was outstation, so I couldn't do anything when it was stuck on bootloop.
-I couldn't get into adb through fastboot with the command on cmd "adb reboot bootloader" (attachment below [capture])
Re-locking bootloader to run a ruu.exe is not required when you have S-OFF. Anyway what was the error code when the RUU exe failed? And what was the ruu version?
-That's the problem, there was no error code or anything, it just didn't work, nothing happened. [Capture3]
-It said device not found. [Capture1]
If you can mount your usb storage with your rom.zip on it, you don't need to copy it to your sdcard! Just install the rom from your mounted usb storage... You said ''nothing happened'' Was there any error code?
- I believe you and I have a different understanding of usb storage which obviously I'm misinformed. I thought USB Storage is just mounting your CPU storage to your phone.
-Not sure, nothing worked.
post the output of ''fastboot getvar all'' except IMEI. With S-OFF it should be quite easy to make your phone boot again...
-Capture2 below.
Again I apologize for any inconvenience caused, I'm still new to using XDA forums instead of just reading it for info, thanks and please reply ASAP, desperate and losing hope :(

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
I would like to try your method for using the RUU.exe through downgrading hboot all those, but if I downgraded my hboot and everything, and the RUU.exe doesn't work, will my phone go beyond saving? Please advice.

i think you're rushing things, but since you're s-off, go for ruu.zip method, shows much more information, but beware Win8.1 as mentioned in the FAQs.
(also there's no need to LOCK since you're s-off, and dont even think about S-On, the guide was meant as return to stock for warranty.

i'm sure you can Device Manager fixed, it's probably somewhere there, just needs corrected/updated drivers, and by the way, don't use TWRP 2.7.0.0 it has problems with adb.

boksquare

Apr 13, 2014
Houston
i think you're rushing things, but since you're s-off, go for ruu.zip method, shows much more information, but beware Win8.1 as mentioned in the FAQs.
(also there's no need to LOCK since you're s-off, and dont even think about S-On, the guide was meant as return to stock for warranty.

i'm sure you can Device Manager fixed, it's probably somewhere there, just needs corrected/updated drivers, and by the way, don't use TWRP 2.7.0.0 it has problems with adb.

Okay, I will get to it right away, but before that, I was using CWM Touch 6.0.4.5 but I still can't get adb in cmd. Once I've entered recovery I will automatically find adb through "adb devices" command without having to do anything special? And do I need to remove tampered all those before running RUU.Zip? Or is it just for going back to stock? I am sorry, as there are just a lot of things I'm not clear about or understand. Please advice :/

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
I was using CWM Touch 6.0.4.5 but I still can't get adb in cmd. Once I've entered recovery I will automatically find adb through "adb devices" command without having to do anything special?
if adb devices doesn't list your device, then you have to check Windows Device Manager and fix the driver problems.

And do I need to remove tampered all those before running RUU.Zip? Or is it just for going back to stock?
You can leave everything as is, tampered doesn't matter in any case, and unlocked won't matter with S-OFF.
DO NOT GO S-ON.

I am sorry, as there are just a lot of things I'm not clear about or understand. Please advice :/
No problem, better to ask before, otherwise you could end up in a worse situation.

But still don't understand why want to go all the trouble of ruu. can you explain :) (briefly, not a huge paragraph :angel:)

By the way, if you're stuck in a bootloop because you were flashing a 4.4 ROM using CWM 6.0.4.5, then that would be the problem, you need TWRP 2.6.3.3 or higher.

boksquare

Apr 13, 2014
Houston
if adb devices doesn't list your device, then you have to check Windows Device Manager and fix the driver problems.

You can leave everything as is, tampered doesn't matter in any case, and unlocked won't matter with S-OFF.
DO NOT GO S-ON.

No problem, better to ask before, otherwise you could end up in a worse situation.

But still don't understand why want to go all the trouble of ruu. can you explain :) (briefly, not a huge paragraph :angel:)

By the way, if you're stuck in a bootloop because you were flashing a 4.4 ROM using CWM 6.0.4.5, then that would be the problem, you need TWRP 2.6.3.3 or higher.

Don't worry I won't enter S-On.

But before the brick there were no problems with the drivers as I had installed HTC Sync Drivers. After the brick my phone just couldn't be detected in my computer. I just assumed this problem is linked with the brick.

Because I have no idea what other methods can save my phone, please advice if there are other methods beside RUU

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Don't worry I won't enter S-On.

But before the brick there were no problems with the drivers as I had installed HTC Sync Drivers. After the brick my phone just couldn't be detected in my computer. I just assumed this problem is linked with the brick.

Because I have no idea what other methods can save my phone, please advice if there are other methods beside RUU

So after reading your first post i see you tried flashing a 4.4 rom using CWM 6.0.4.5, so

get TWRP from:
2.6.3.3: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7
or 2.6.3.4: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul
(make sure MD5 is correct, that site does not play nice with download managers)

in bootloader/FASTBOOT USB:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then install the ROM again.

boksquare

Apr 13, 2014
Houston
So after reading your first post i see you tried flashing a 4.4 rom using CWM 6.0.4.5, so

get TWRP from:
2.6.3.3: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7
or 2.6.3.4: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7ul
(make sure MD5 is correct, that site does not play nice with download managers)

in bootloader/FASTBOOT USB:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

then install the ROM again.

But the ROM is not in my Htc, how do I move it there? I had no way of moving it there that's why I went for the RUU

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
But the ROM is not in my Htc, how do I move it there? I had no way of moving it there that's why I went for the RUU

you have 3 choices to get the ROM onto your phone (once you have custom recovery):
1- OTG cable
2- adb sideload
3- adb push

If you don't have OTG cable, I personally like adb push (example below), though many like adb sideload (plenty of guides and how tos around).

Code:
C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb version[/COLOR][/B]
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot devices[/COLOR][/B]
HT34xxxxxxxx    fastboot [I][SIZE="1"]<- you are in bootloader[/SIZE][/I]

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img[/COLOR][/B]
target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9184 KB)...
OKAY [  1.209s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.144s]
finished. total time: 2.354s

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot erase cache[/COLOR][/B]
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [  0.120s]
finished. total time: 0.120s

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot reboot-bootloader[/COLOR][/B]
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.160s]
finished. total time: 0.160s

-> enter RECOVERY

Code:
C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb devices[/COLOR][/B]
List of devices attached
HT34xxxxxxxx    recovery [I][SIZE="1"]<- you are now in recovery[/SIZE][/I]

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb push Android_Revolution_HD-One_52.0.zip /sdcard/[/COLOR][/B]
2990 KB/s (1172224138 bytes in 382.835s) [B][I]<- yes, it took over 5 mins,
                                            without showing any progress[/I][/B]

[I][U][SIZE="1"]Just to double-check the file is not corrupt[/SIZE][/U][/I]
C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb shell md5sum /sdcard/Android_Revolution_HD-One_52.0.zip[/COLOR][/B]
2eff0d37fec5789b946c43f7da2c13bf  /sdcard/Android_Revolution_HD-One_52.0.zip
[INDENT]from the OP:
Android Revolution HD 52.0 -- MD5 sum: 2EFF0D37FEC5789B946C43F7DA2C13BF --
==> so all is good :)[/INDENT]

C:\ADB3>
-> in recovery, select "install" and install the ROM

boksquare

Apr 13, 2014
Houston
you have 3 choices to get the ROM onto your phone (once you have custom recovery):
1- OTG cable
2- adb sideload
3- adb push

If you don't have OTG cable, I personally like adb push (example below), though many like adb sideload (plenty of guides and how tos around).

Code:
C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb version[/COLOR][/B]
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot devices[/COLOR][/B]
HT34xxxxxxxx    fastboot [I][SIZE="1"]<- you are in bootloader[/SIZE][/I]

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img[/COLOR][/B]
target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
sending 'recovery' (9184 KB)...
OKAY [  1.209s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.144s]
finished. total time: 2.354s

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot erase cache[/COLOR][/B]
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [  0.120s]
finished. total time: 0.120s

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]fastboot reboot-bootloader[/COLOR][/B]
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.160s]
finished. total time: 0.160s

-> enter RECOVERY

Code:
C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb devices[/COLOR][/B]
List of devices attached
HT34xxxxxxxx    recovery [I][SIZE="1"]<- you are now in recovery[/SIZE][/I]

C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb push Android_Revolution_HD-One_52.0.zip /sdcard/[/COLOR][/B]
2990 KB/s (1172224138 bytes in 382.835s) [B][I]<- yes, it took over 5 mins,
                                            without showing any progress[/I][/B]

[I][U][SIZE="1"]Just to double-check the file is not corrupt[/SIZE][/U][/I]
C:\ADB3>[B][COLOR="Blue"]adb shell md5sum /sdcard/Android_Revolution_HD-One_52.0.zip[/COLOR][/B]
2eff0d37fec5789b946c43f7da2c13bf  /sdcard/Android_Revolution_HD-One_52.0.zip
[INDENT]from the OP:
Android Revolution HD 52.0 -- MD5 sum: 2EFF0D37FEC5789B946C43F7DA2C13BF --
==> so all is good :)[/INDENT]

C:\ADB3>
-> in recovery, select "install" and install the ROM

Okay, I'm downloading the drivers after checking the device manager. You were right, the drivers were gone. I had no idea why. I installed Sync Manager before with all the drivers present, no idea why is it gone now.
Still, once the download is finished I will do as you said and will update you ASAP. Thanks in advance. :good::laugh:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Okay, I'm downloading the drivers after checking the device manager. You were right, the drivers were gone. I had no idea why. I installed Sync Manager before with all the drivers present, no idea why is it gone now.
Still, once the download is finished I will do as you said and will update you ASAP. Thanks in advance. :good::laugh:

No problem, good luck

boksquare

Apr 13, 2014
Houston
No problem, good luck

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!! It worked !!!! At first I was disappointed as I couldn't fix my drivers by reinstalling HTC Sync Manager. I was going to ask you but I took a look back into your guide at FAQ #2 and followed it exactly and I got it reinstalled :))))) I pushed the ROM in and flashed in Recovery and I just booted my phone ! Thanks for all your time and advices, really appreciated it. How I wish I could thank you in person or something. Thanks man, really thanks a lot :D

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!! It worked !!!! At first I was disappointed as I couldn't fix my drivers by reinstalling HTC Sync Manager. I was going to ask you but I took a look back into your guide at FAQ #2 and followed it exactly and I got it reinstalled :))))) I pushed the ROM in and flashed in Recovery and I just booted my phone ! Thanks for all your time and advices, really appreciated it. How I wish I could thank you in person or something. Thanks man, really thanks a lot :D

My pleasure glad everything worked out, and xda has a nice little thanks button that you can press when a post is useful :)

and if you could also edit the main thread title to include [SOLVED] (go to 1st post click EDIT, at the bottom of the edit window click GO ADVANCED, then you can edit the main title), thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    you do realize what you posted is not readable... right? sorry, but i sort of tried reading it, but :eek:

he flashed a sense kernel to an aosp rom and is in bootloop as near as i can tell

(...)
    I unlocked my bootloader via HTCDev and rooted it using CWM Touch Recovery 6.0.4.5.
    (...)
    I flashed my HTC One to Probam (AOSB) custom rom, no problems were present,
    (...)
    I decided to flash ElementalX kernel, being ignorant on purpose to the fact that it was meant for Sense Roms.
    (...)
    I could not boot into my OS and I was stuck on the HTC screen.
    (...)
    I S-offed it via Firewater
    (...)

I tried hasson 2000 all in one toolkit

I tried relocking my bootloader and runming RUU.exe file to return to stock firmware,

I tried sideloading a rom in recovery

I tried mounting usb storage to copy a .zip rom into my internal storage but nothing happened.

I tried flashing directly via fastboot but the cmd keep saying it couldnt run the file.
    Wait?! You can't flash a rom.zip from fastboot, only from custom recovery. The only thing you can flash from fastboot is a recovery or a ruu/firmware from fastboot RUU mode.

I couldn't enter adb as the recovery said there is no os present.

(...)

still... if (yes IF) i learned anything in school "run-on" sentences are a NO-NO!! (and i'm not even talking about english schools)
    -It said device not found. [Capture1]

check you check FAQ #2 in my guide (forget the guide, just the FAQ#2) http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541082