does anyone know the sprint hero price without contract?

Search This thread

kylez64

May 25, 2009
Las Vegas
I'm looking to upgrade from my dream to the hero.

The phone from Sprint is 180 w/ contract.

I want to get the phone and unlock it.

Does anyone know how much the phone Withought the contract is?

Thanks in advance

tsekh501

Aug 14, 2009
Sprint is a CDMA network. It doesn't use SIM card, and the user data is stored on the phone. You cannot use it on other networks.

So getting it without contract is just... without contract. You need to be on Sprint's network for it to work.

JBachman

Aug 17, 2009
Sprint is a CDMA network. It doesn't use SIM card, and the user data is stored on the phone. You cannot use it on other networks.

So getting it without contract is just... without contract. You need to be on Sprint's network for it to work.

Ummmm.... JUst cause it's a CDMA network, doesn't limit it to Sprint. It can be unlocked & flased to Metro PCS, US Cellular, Page Plus, Virgin, Verizion and numerous other local or regional CDMA networks. Just need to have the know-how.

tsekh501

Aug 14, 2009
Ummmm.... JUst cause it's a CDMA network, doesn't limit it to Sprint. It can be unlocked & flased to Metro PCS, US Cellular, Page Plus, Virgin, Verizion and numerous other local or regional CDMA networks. Just need to have the know-how.

Theoretically you can swap the radio chip inside and add a sim card slot too add GSM support too. I don't want to waste time arguing with you on that, but if you do know how to unlock a Sprint CDMA phone to use on Verizon yourself, congrats, you can make big bucks with that knowledge.

BTW, to those who are considering getting onto Sprint for the Hero, note that Sprint's network cannot do voice and data simultaneously, so if you are downloading stuff, you won't be able to receive. It's like the GPRS problem on GSM network, it's just that current Sprint network faces that problem even on 3G.

Last edited:

shark1987

Oct 14, 2007
Cypress, TX
Theoretically you can swap the radio chip inside and add a sim card slot too add GSM support too. I don't want to waste time arguing with you on that, but if you do know how to unlock a Sprint CDMA phone to use on Verizon yourself, congrats, you can make big bucks with that knowledge.

BTW, to those who are considering getting onto Sprint for the Hero, note that Sprint's network cannot do voice and data simultaneously, so if you are downloading stuff, you won't be able to receive. It's like the GPRS problem on GSM network, it's just that current Sprint network faces that problem even on 3G.

that's not true, if you are downloading something and someone calls the download stops and the call is recieved. atleast that is how it has worked with my touch pro, vogue, and titan.

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing

As I understand, CDMA networks need to register the ESN of your device to their network, but most CDMA networks (at least Sprint and Verizon) no longer allow the registration of ESNs that were originally registered to other networks. Apparently Verizon used to allow 3rd party ESNs, but no longer do this, but I cannot find any "official" confirmation of this.

i.e. if you have a Sprint phone, it will have a Sprint ESN and Verizon would refuse to add this to their database.

I believe there are methods to clone another ESN onto a new phone, but I've no idea how "legal" this is.

Regards,

Dave

JBachman

Aug 17, 2009
As I understand, CDMA networks need to register the ESN of your device to their network, but most CDMA networks (at least Sprint and Verizon) no longer allow the registration of ESNs that were originally registered to other networks. Apparently Verizon used to allow 3rd party ESNs, but no longer do this, but I cannot find any "official" confirmation of this.

i.e. if you have a Sprint phone, it will have a Sprint ESN and Verizon would refuse to add this to their database.

I believe there are methods to clone another ESN onto a new phone, but I've no idea how "legal" this is.

Regards,

Dave

I never made mention of the legalities of the process....:D I was just stating that it can be done. I do it for Metro phones all the time. I also "heard" it is possible to unlock unlimited data for smartphones on Metro as well.....

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC

A lot of people don't care about that, so stop trying to pee on Sprint and claim it's raining. Geez... If i'm Youtube(ing) and a call comes in, fine, i take the call, finish the call and then continue what i was doing.

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC

This is BestBuy's modus operandi..which is charging more (lots more) than even Sprint's MSRP. So if one is considering buying at full price without contact, go to Sprint directly. The flip side is that they usually have better new/upgrade-contract prices than Sprint since BestBuy doesn't do mail-in-rebates, they make it instant.

Some folks on spintusers.com are claiming $429.99 Sprint full price.

cordevil95

Jan 20, 2008
This is BestBuy's modus operandi..which is charging more (lots more) than even Sprint's MSRP. So if one is considering buying at full price without contact, go to Sprint directly. The flip side is that they usually have better new/upgrade-contract prices than Sprint since BestBuy doesn't do mail-in-rebates, they make it instant.

Some folks on spintusers.com are claiming $429.99 Sprint full price.

Yes, Sprint is charging $429.99 full retail. At least according to their own website.

http://www.sprint.com/hero (read the fine print)

And why the F is Best Buy charging so damn much??!! That is just rediculous! Doesn't best buy do price matching?? Couldn't I go into a store and say hey, sprint is only charging 429.99, hook me up?

jrrall

Sep 22, 2009
Free, with a catch

(I know this is a shameless plug, however)

Today - Sprint made three announcements around support for the Android Platform.

1: Launched a section dedicated to Android development support on Sprint devices at http://developer.sprint.com/android
- Showcase how to utilize free Sprint network services such as LBS (where are my friends/co-workers / Geofencing, Messaging, Presence)
- We also have some initial FAQs to address developing for Sprint Android
- We will continue to add content to the section and looking for any developer feedback on this

Announced Extensive Plans to Showcase Android at our upcoming Sprint Developer Conference:

2: Want an HTC Hero Android Device ?
Sprint is partnering with HTC to give away 400 HTC hero devices at our upcoming Sprint Developer Conference, http://developer.sprint.com/devcon2009
. The 400 devices will be provisioned for one month of service, and will be given to the first 400 attendees of the Android coding lab
being held the evening of Oct 26. Mark Murphy of CommonsWare will
lead the Android platform training session. Murphy has published three guides on Android development and writes the “Building 'Droids” column for AndroidGuys and the “Android Angle” column for NetworkWorld.

3: Google will be presenting at the Sprint Developer Conference, Wed Oct 28 from 8:30am - 11:00am. Topics covered will incude the Android Marketplace as well as Android Technical SMEs discussing development best practices.

We look forward to seeing you all at the conference, and look for any feedback on developing on the Sprint Android devices