Root for your TELUS fascinate!

Search This thread

roccos_van

Jun 27, 2010
Vancouver
www.mbcadvertising.com
so should i get one?

I mean i have a rooted desire so why not pick 1 o
f these up however the reports are confusing...

...Does the update.zip posted work? If yes, does clockwork mod work? What about custom Roms, are there any?

a2000rick

Feb 21, 2008
I wish they just named it something else so that it wouldn't be confused with Verizon's version. Better yet I wish they only made 1 version of the Galaxy S instead of 6+...

What do we have to do to get our own forum on here?

wwowz

Nov 19, 2010
I can also confirm that OP's update.zip does work. Rooted mine with it. No problem at all.

roccos_van

Jun 27, 2010
Vancouver
www.mbcadvertising.com
what does clockwork do? Whats the purpose of it? :p Im bit new to android world!!

Clockwork is a custom recovery image that is much more flexible than stock android recovery. It can back up and restore system images, install .zip's with any name (not just update.zip) and you can use the advanced menu like wipeing battery stats and such. Leave the 'update.zip' in the root of your sd card, that way if you brick the phone or bootloop it, you can flash the update.zip and it will take you to clockwork recovery.

Go to youtube and search "Clockwork Recovery" there will be a few videos there showing how to use it.

a2000rick

Feb 21, 2008
So I should keep the update.zip for clockwork or for the root?

Do you think that we should sell our Fascinates for Captivates or some other android? It doesn't look like anyone is working on a telus fascinate cyanogenmod, or even any mod, and I'm not impressed with the gps of the galaxy.

Last edited:

wwowz

Nov 19, 2010
Clockwork is a custom recovery image that is much more flexible than stock android recovery. It can back up and restore system images, install .zip's with any name (not just update.zip) and you can use the advanced menu like wipeing battery stats and such. Leave the 'update.zip' in the root of your sd card, that way if you brick the phone or bootloop it, you can flash the update.zip and it will take you to clockwork recovery.

Go to youtube and search "Clockwork Recovery" there will be a few videos there showing how to use it.

Wow thanks for the help! It makes so much sense now haha :p

So I should keep the update.zip for clockwork or for the root?

Do you think that we should sell our Fascinates for Captivates or some other android? It doesn't look like anyone is working on a telus fascinate cyanogenmod, or even any mod, and I'm not impressed with the gps of the galaxy.

:(((( welll... our device more similar to vibrant than other fascinates... so I hope that making mod for telus fascinate.. is as easy as tweaking few stuff from vibrant stuff... I hope... Im pretty sure someone is already working on it..

tho we reallllly really need a forum for this beast.

roccos_van

Jun 27, 2010
Vancouver
www.mbcadvertising.com
The "update.zip" file you used to root the phone should be kept in a seperate folder. Don't keep it in the root of the sd card. When you install clockworkmod it will overwrite the "update.zip" file you used to root and replace it with another "update.zip" which will take you to clockworkmod recovery if you ever bootloop or brick the phone.

How it works is that you hold power and volume +; - keys all at the same time to get into standard recovery, then you choose apply: update.zip, which will then take you straight to clockworkmod, from there you can restore the image you hopefully backed up before trying to mod your phone.

As for selling the fascinate, I'm right there with you, I have a desire fully rooted/s-off/etc... there is so much support with it and there is literally nothing with this phone, and you know what? I like this samsung better form factor wise and screen size, but software is really behind. (2.1, touchwiz, etc) I installed launcher pro, and beautiful widgets so it looks like HTC sense, so i'm not unhappy, but its definately a bit slower than my desire with 2.2 and the desire HD rom running.

If I sell it, i'm 100% going to get a nexus S, as I really like the form factor of this phone, also, compared to the bell vibrant, the build quality is better with the Telus SGS.

wwowz

Nov 19, 2010
The "update.zip" file you used to root the phone should be kept in a seperate folder. Don't keep it in the root of the sd card. When you install clockworkmod it will overwrite the "update.zip" file you used to root and replace it with another "update.zip" which will take you to clockworkmod recovery if you ever bootloop or brick the phone.

How it works is that you hold power and volume +; - keys all at the same time to get into standard recovery, then you choose apply: update.zip, which will then take you straight to clockworkmod, from there you can restore the image you hopefully backed up before trying to mod your phone.

As for selling the fascinate, I'm right there with you, I have a desire fully rooted/s-off/etc... there is so much support with it and there is literally nothing with this phone, and you know what? I like this samsung better form factor wise and screen size, but software is really behind. (2.1, touchwiz, etc) I installed launcher pro, and beautiful widgets so it looks like HTC sense, so i'm not unhappy, but its definately a bit slower than my desire with 2.2 and the desire HD rom running.

If I sell it, i'm 100% going to get a nexus S, as I really like the form factor of this phone, also, compared to the bell vibrant, the build quality is better with the Telus SGS.

Installing OCLF on the market helped me a lot. My sgs feels so much faster :) tho, i really want to try voodoo fix but Im scared i might brick my phone XD

wwowz

Nov 19, 2010
ya... so i didn't trust the qudarant score it gave me. But the phone actually got faster .. imo...:p maybe you are right. its placebo effect haha

voodoo is the real thing rite??? do you know how to apply it on telus fascinate?

k4r1m

Jun 4, 2009
Montreal
Sorry to jump the thread.. but I'm need of some help guys, can anyone upload a a telus stock backup? I flash a rom on my telus fascinate and even though I backed up my stock, I don't see a backup in recovery... so PLEASE someone help I would really appreciate it.

kfernandes29

Dec 13, 2006
Sorry to jump the thread.. but I'm need of some help guys, can anyone upload a a telus stock backup? I flash a rom on my telus fascinate and even though I backed up my stock, I don't see a backup in recovery... so PLEASE someone help I would really appreciate it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=837530

Use the "ADB /system dump can be found here" and restore using ADB. Not sure if it will resolve your issue but its the only dump on the net I was able to find.

k4r1m

Jun 4, 2009
Montreal
I already looked at that thinking it was a dump using nandroid but it's not, it's just the system folder which is pretty useless since I need everything including the modem... thx thou, anyone else got anything?

edit nvm I flashed a Captivate rom ;)

Last edited:

a2000rick

Feb 21, 2008
I already looked at that thinking it was a dump using nandroid but it's not, it's just the system folder which is pretty useless since I need everything including the modem... thx thou, anyone else got anything?

edit nvm I flashed a Captivate rom ;)

so captivate roms are compatible with the telus fascinate?

k4r1m

Jun 4, 2009
Montreal
so captivate roms are compatible with the telus fascinate?
No not any captivate rom(this goes for vibrant roms too, I tried the stock froyo which works fine except no service due the different freqences it uses but im guessing a different modem would fix that?)... it depends on the modem it uses and the kernel from my understand the bell modem aka UGJK3 will work but then for example the rom I flashed was the Doc 0.3 rom which is pretty good except the screen orientation is messed up and the home/back keys are reversed due to the kernel... and you have to be careful on which custom kernel you can flash because I just tried flashing the I9000 reoriented kernel and ended up in a boot loop and from there I was just ****ed because the only option I had after that was to use odin and since there is no telus odin files floating around guess what? I man'ed up and used the captivate pda and vola BRICKED phone lulz doesn't even turn on anymore.... anyway just be careful, Ill be back real soon with another phone to brick.

roccos_van

Jun 27, 2010
Vancouver
www.mbcadvertising.com
I'm thinking we should wait for the official froyo release then re-root that rom/dump or just install the OTA update and re-root our phones.

I really like this phone better than my Desire, which is fully supported with custom roms.

I wish I was a dev, but unfortunately I have no idea even where to begin. I nice de-bloated stock froyo rom with de-odex would be a great place to start from someone, but this being a new 'one-off' SGS there is very little support for it so far.

I'm unwilling to try a different rom (captivate/i9000) as I know there will be issues.

BTW - I did backup my stock rom with with clockwork and tried to restore but it didn't work the first try, havent tried since.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DONE.

All it took was a quick script rewrite in notepad. and it SHOULD work with both Canadian galaxies :)

I don't know who packaged this, but my quick edit means simple root.

Hold VOL + & - + Power for recovery
    Install attatched update.zip
    Cheer, because you have the first rooted (REPORTED!) Galaxy S Fascinate on telus :)

And, PM me props. that would be coo'

Anyway, File and a screenshot. Pretty simple guys :)

About damn time I found a way to give back to the

[edit] Shell reports su, must ask for it manually. Meh :)
    You have a "one" for 2.2 or you have the actual kernel for the telus fascinate? I know the captivate kernel is very similar, are you just tweaking that?

If you can hold out til 11 or 12 I promise a new thread with lots of goodies. Even the captivate and vibrant peeps might like this. The bell i9000m users definitely will.
    J
    So does the update.zip actually install or does it complain about signatures?
    To get # in the shell you need to type 'su'
    Just because a "root" app runs doesnt mean you have root either.

Sorry, forgot that step. Su in terminal is working now. Just have to do it manually.

yes it installs without errors. I literally just rewrote the updater.script to include the sgh-t959d and installed it on my device.
    Yeah! I was thinking that this thread could be the start of telus fascinate!!!

Lets keep the thread alive as long as possible :p

p.s. Anyone using screen protector for telus fascinate? are we supposed to use protectors designed for vibrant?? I tried Zagg invisi sheild for fascinate on my telus fascinate, and it didin't fit. Any help? Thanks!

i9000 shield, trim off the bottom JUST above the button cut out, fits every time.

Do it for customers a lot.

I'll start fudging around with this in the next couple days (Rom stuff. I have three days off, I'm gonna start with Cyanogen for the vibrant and see what I can do with it.)
    I'll be working on it as soon as I'm home from toronto this evening.

God I need a second android device. This iphone is useless. XD