Droid X 2.3.340 Update

Search This thread

weisguy

Aug 10, 2010
can you post the zip please?

My DX has downloaded the update but I am holding off on letting it apply. If someone could tell me where in the filesystem it is placed while my phone is in this condition, I can pull it off and post it. Please feel free to PM me.

Also a question: If I am deodexed, will I be able to apply this update as-is? I know I will lose root but I am not worried about that for a few days while the powers that be figure out the next exploit.

=wg=

Liquidretro

Dec 8, 2010
Lincoln
www.Liquidretro.net
I just got the phone on Monday and mine is running 2.3.151.MB810. When I go and check for an update under about the phone it shows I have the most recent update so far.

Just to double check, I want to reverse my root before I do the OTA upgrade right?

tabeytabe

May 4, 2009
I checked for the update at around 7AM EST today, it found it an I downloaded it. Before I tried to install it I copied the .crc and .zip from /cache to /sdcard and flashed the VRZ_MB810_2.3.15_1FF_01.sbf (just because I couldn't remember what I have/haven't removed). After the sbf I copied the .crc and .zip back to /cache but when I ran the check for updates it didn't recognize that I had the update files already and told me I was already up to date...
So I renamed the .zip from /cache to update.zip and put it on /sdcard and then flashed that zip via recovery. It worked perfectly! I'm updated to .340 and haven't noticed any issues.
I successfully re-rooted using the Z4Root app.

tabeytabe

May 4, 2009
I just got the phone on Monday and mine is running 2.3.151.MB810. When I go and check for an update under about the phone it shows I have the most recent update so far.

Just to double check, I want to reverse my root before I do the OTA upgrade right?

No, the update doesn't care about you being rooted. It probably DOES care if you removed any of the stock apps, though.

cybiker123

Apr 30, 2006
Chattanooga
I checked for the update at around 7AM EST today, it found it an I downloaded it. Before I tried to install it I copied the .crc and .zip from /cache to /sdcard and flashed the VRZ_MB810_2.3.15_1FF_01.sbf (just because I couldn't remember what I have/haven't removed). After the sbf I copied the .crc and .zip back to /cache but when I ran the check for updates it didn't recognize that I had the update files already and told me I was already up to date...
So I renamed the .zip from /cache to update.zip and put it on /sdcard and then flashed that zip via recovery. It worked perfectly! I'm updated to .340 and haven't noticed any issues.
I successfully re-rooted using the Z4Root app.

Can you post the update.zip file that you ran through recovery?

weisguy

Aug 10, 2010
My DX has downloaded the update but I am holding off on letting it apply. If someone could tell me where in the filesystem it is placed while my phone is in this condition, I can pull it off and post it. Please feel free to PM me.

Also a question: If I am deodexed, will I be able to apply this update as-is? I know I will lose root but I am not worried about that for a few days while the powers that be figure out the next exploit.

=wg=

UPDATE: I tried applying the update and it failed. I SBF'd back to stock 2.2 and tried pulling the update down again. It tells me now that my phone is up to date and no update is available even though I am on 2.3.15. I see some rumblings in various places that the update has been pulled, so perhaps I missed my chance.

tabeytabe

May 4, 2009
UPDATE: I tried applying the update and it failed. I SBF'd back to stock 2.2 and tried pulling the update down again. It tells me now that my phone is up to date and no update is available even though I am on 2.3.15. I see some rumblings in various places that the update has been pulled, so perhaps I missed my chance.

Yeah.. You should backed up the .zip from your /cache folder before you sbf'd! =/

tabeytabe

May 4, 2009
what I can not figure out is why no one has posted the backed up file:(

I don't know how it all works really, but I had a couple of people try my file and it didn't work for them. So I figured I shouldn't post mine. I know TeamBlackHat is supposed to release it sometime soon, though.

Edit: Well I guess it wouldn't hurt for some other people to try my file.. I have it in my Dropbox.. If you try it, please let me know how it goes!

I HAVE REMOVED MY DROPBOX LINK. MY PUBLIC LINKS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED DUE TO EXCESSIVE TRAFFIC! LOL
J3anyus has another link posted on post #71...

I'll be reposting another link to my update.zip in a bit, as well as a link to Z4Root..

Edit: Okay, here's my new link to the update - http://www.androidchat.org/files/Random/340update.zip (make sure you remove the "340" from filename before you attempt to flash it)

I also upped a copy of Z4Root for those that need it: http://www.androidchat.org/files/Random/z4root.1.1.0.apk

Last edited:

mochamoo

Oct 16, 2010
Google Pixel 7 Pro
No, the update doesn't care about you being rooted. It probably DOES care if you removed any of the stock apps, though.

Correct. I pulled the update via wifi last night and installed without unrooting. Only thing I did was unfreeze the stock apps (bloatware) that I had frozen just in case (maybe I didn't even have to do that). I did lose root (easily fixed by z4root this morning). What I found interesting was that certain installed apps like adfree still did their job. Guess it only needs superuser to install but not to run. So no Angry Birds ads!!

Haven't had much time to spend with it today but all seems to be running just fine so far. Was concerned about the 3G not working last night and was glad to hear that it wasn't the OTA update that "broke" it. Bad timing there.

Jigga0o7

May 31, 2009
SF Bay Area
www.twitter.com
I don't know how it all works really, but I had a couple of people try my file and it didn't work for them. So I figured I shouldn't post mine. I know TeamBlackHat is supposed to release it sometime soon, though.

Edit: Well I guess it wouldn't hurt for some other people to try my file.. I have it in my Dropbox.. If you try it, please let me know how it goes!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9681130/update.zip

I got it to install. Currently doing the download. I'm not sure if it was a necessary step but I put that madden related lib file into system/lib.

tabeytabe

May 4, 2009
wasn't the update like 70+ megs? This is only 25, which may be your problem:)

But, I don't have a problem.. That's the same exact file that i downloaded OTA on my phone and installed. It upped me to .340...

Edit: And I just checked with a buddy that also got the OTA file downloaded to his phone and his is also ~25MB... Don't know where people are getting this 70MB stuff?

Last edited: