[Q] Kindle Fire is not recognized by PC, even in TWRP

Search This thread

Imasargent

Aug 21, 2014
Okay, let's get this party started. I rooted my Gen1 Kindle Fire a few weeks ago and installed Cyanogenmod, CM11, I think. It worked pretty well. Kinda sluggish, but it's an old tablet so whatever. At one point or another, I had to turn the tablet off and restart it after a few days. And then it broke completely. Still not entirely sure why, but that's not why I'm here. Rebooted to Recovery, and the next five hours were filled with failed install attempts, factory resets, full wipes, and mounting. I stopped doing all of this and went to bed at about 1 AM, so it was all kind of a blur unless state-dependent memory kicks in tonight.

Flash forward to this morning, I get back to work on my Kindle Fire and find that, much to my dismay, I can't mount it. Not even in TWRP. I used to be able to, but now I can't. At first I thought it was the computer, so I went to another computer, and that one didn't work either. No biggie, I'll just use ADB to sideload an OS and then I'll be able to transfer files on there. I install the new OS and the Gapps, but it still won't connect. The next 12 hours at this point are spent googling and trying everything.

So now I'm here. I'd say it was because I damaged the USB port, or wasn't using the proper cord, but I've been using the same cord I always use, and every time I hook it up, it says it's installing drivers, but that installation eventually fails. When I go to Device Manager, The F drive under Portable Devices is usually missing, and the failed kindle driver is under Other Devices.

Now, I could just use ADB, but it's just kind of a pain and needlessly obtuse compared to simple drag and drop, and I'm a little worried at this point because, as previously stated, it won't even mount in TWRP.

If I weren't desperate, I wouldn't have made an account to beg and annoy you fine folks for help, but I've looked everywhere else and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance.