[Q] How to Tether on ota 4.3 rooted

Search This thread

Madelynn28

Jun 18, 2010
Hello,

My wife broke the screen on her phone and the replacement came with 4.3 pre-loaded on the phone. I got it rooted but I really don't want to use the Verizon tethering app. We have always used the Treve-mod Wifi Tether. Don't use custom roms so don't care about the locked bootloader. We just tether because we have unlimited data. How do you tether on ota 4.3 that is rooted?

HerosTheLame

Aug 29, 2008
Farmington
Hello,

My wife broke the screen on her phone and the replacement came with 4.3 pre-loaded on the phone. I got it rooted but I really don't want to use the Verizon tethering app. We have always used the Treve-mod Wifi Tether. Don't use custom roms so don't care about the locked bootloader. We just tether because we have unlimited data. How do you tether on ota 4.3 that is rooted?

Check out FoxFi in the Play Store. Sadly it is a paid app but I think it works well for what I need it for.

I am also open to suggestions as I like to play with apps and see if something is a better fit for my needs! :)

cheesiepoof

Apr 25, 2011
Denver
I'm in the same boat. Note 2 with cracked screen came back from Samsung warranty repair with 4.3 OTA software and locked bootloader. Even with root, the best solution I've found is FoxFi, which is an $8 app. Can't speak to how stable it is, I've only used it for a few hours.

I definitely miss using Wifi Tether Treve Mod with 4.1.2. No way would I have taken the OTA, but cracked screens happen... Probably time to sell this thing. At least the Note 3 despite it's locked bootloader currently can be used with safestrap which allows for free tethering solutions / custom roms.

Last edited:

youphone

Jan 22, 2014
Hello,

one of my Note 2 phones also came as a replacement from Verizon with 4.3 already on it..;

could you tell me how you managed to root it?

thanks!

Madelynn28

Jun 18, 2010
one of my Note 2 phones also came as a replacement from Verizon with 4.3 already on it..;

could you tell me how you managed to root it?

thanks!

I used Kingo, Trev mod didn't work anymore so there is some tether widget hack that she uses to tether. If you need it let me know and I will go look at it on her phone.

Last edited:

Madelynn28

Jun 18, 2010
I used Kingo, Trev mod didn't work anymore so there is some tether widget hack that she uses to tether. If you need it let me know and I will go look at it on her phone.

This is what I used to get wifi tether going for my wife. I used the hotspot toggle widget. Just follow the directions....

(Info Pulled from here)

The App - Hotspot Toggle Widget

1. Open Settings> More Settings> Mobile Hotspot on your phone.
2. Select Mobile Hotspot but do not turn it on.
3. Tap on Configure and set your hotspot settings.
4. Now go to Google Play Store and download the Hotspot app: Hotspot Toggle Widget (Price: Free) (Developer: Fattin Hotspot Network)
5. The app will add a widget in your phone’s widget drawer. Add the widget to your homescreen.
6. Now turn the toggle widget on.
7. Press the Home button to cancel if you see any popup window.
8. Done!