Could this be ported to work on the gear?

Search This thread

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
Seeing as how they are aready planning on releasing the SDK to developers, I dont see why this wouldn't be possible. Google wants this on as many devices as they can get to expand the ecosystem of custom apps, to include thier own AWD Google Play.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

sdrewh

May 14, 2009
Augusta
I would love to try this out. I love the gear with null but would be awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

fodawim

Jul 13, 2011
Alright, well first this is running Android 4.4.2 not 4.2.2 like the gear. If that issue was gone it would be possible.

I already have the "watchface" app running on a Nexus 5. http://i.imgur.com/waaU8Y1.png

Other than the API issue it seems like it would be fairly easy.

Nianfur

Jul 22, 2009
This I am interested in, is there enough source and resources to port Android Wear to the Galaxy Gear and bring it up to 4.4.2?

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Perhaps in the same way as nexus was made by Samsung, but not officially a Samsung device?

Well it are two different ecosystems in this case. If they knew about this new Android ecosystem they must have realized that they were going to compete with a pretty large ecosystem in the end. I truly doubt that Tizen is going to get much developers love now.

Reactions: james robinson

ronfurro

Oct 24, 2013
O-Town
Well it are two different ecosystems in this case. If they knew about this new Android ecosystem they must have realized that they were going to compete with a pretty large ecosystem in the end. I truly doubt that Tizen is going to get much developers love now.

I kinda agree, Tizen was primarily developed as a contingency plan agaist Google.

As you make know, Google and Samsung had a big squabble that now seems to have smoothed out with them coming to agreements on market territory related to patented manufacturing technologies and licensings. This all came to head with Google agreeing to sell off Motorola and loosing a ton of money in the process.

I cant imagine a 100% Touchwiz smartphone running Tizen but that was the worst case scenario plan, if Google and Samsung temporarily parted ways. I think Samsung is just sticking a toe in the water with Tizen since they already spent the money developing it and if successful, can be rolled out on cheaper tablets and handsets likely destined for emerging markets.

Last edited:

chleb

Jun 28, 2010
I thought, maybe the Android Wear "os" isn't really a specialized firmware, but just a core android os + a "Google Now watch launcher".

Like the new launcher on Nexus Smartphones, that first was Google Experience Launcher on Nexus 5, then become Google Now Launcher for all Nexus.

Maybe we just need to retrieve the launcher apk and install it on Gear, and then run it as any other launcher, as we can still run "Touchwiz Home" with Null_Rom on Gear ?

Last edited:

sdrewh

May 14, 2009
Augusta
Kept getting errors. Give it a try see if it works

fodawim

Jul 13, 2011
Kept getting errors. Give it a try see if it works

It's cause the gear is running API 17 (4.2.2) while this has a minimum API of 19 (4.4.2).

The app, for example, runs perfectly fine, even unedited, on a phone running 4.4.2 (nexus 5 for me).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Porting

Hello all,

I am a fairly new developer, I've done my fair share of hacking and programmed a few apps. However, I am dying to see Android Wear on my Galaxy Gear (1st-Gen), and since no one else is doing it, I'll take on the challenge.

I am currently porting CM 11 to the Gear.

I have no idea if I'll be able to port Wear to Gear 2, I don't even own one. I am going to port Wear to Gear 1 first, and cross the Gear 2 bridge later.

Money isn't too much of an object to me, because I started porting Wear before I even saw this post, but $500 (US) sounds prettttyyy sweet. Maybe it'll buy me a Gear 2 and I'll port Wear to that... who am I kidding I'm saving for the Moto 360:laugh: maybe if enough money is raised I'll buy both:p

Sadly, but also not sadly, I am going on vacation tomorrow and not coming home until next saturday, and I will be away from the computer all week... After that, however, I'm free. I will work on porting as much as I can, I'm hoping to get it done by the end of July maybe. We will see.

Thanks!

-monstAr
    Count me in for developing of 4.4 for galaxy gear thursday my 3 months vacation start so i have plenty of time to port
    the key to getting it booting is the right bootclasspath i am trying to port android 4.4W sdk version to gear but i am stuck at creating the kernel i will try it later today again.
    I'm not a dev, but aosp 4.4.2 shoudn't be that difficult to port to the Gear ?
    Basically it is a Galaxy Tab 3 8" or Galaxy S4 Zoom cpu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exynos).
    And there is no radio to flash (modem less device), no Wi-Fi module etc.

I'm not saying it is simple, but maybe that is not so difficult.
    Maybe not... I've just arrived this week in th Gear dev section (just bought the device) so I know no history of the development around the Gear.

Device was released by the end of September, and looking at posts date, first custom recovery (that I know of) by the end of November, first Null_rom by the mid-December.

It looks like there is not so much people working on this device (just checked here at xda, not at other well know dev places).
    Let's hope fOmey won't drop support and buy a Gear 2 :D

Obviously, Null_rom is (and stays) a TW based rom because of the TW smartphones deep integration.
    Moving to CM or AOSP based rom would break a lot of thing for people using TW smartphone, but, is there a non TW based Gear rom, for people who don't have a Samsung smartphone to pair it with ?
    We could already be running the Android wear launcher :)

Anyone know what's needed to build an aosp or cm based rom for the Gear ?
    thanks for reading.

Well, porting AOSP to the gear is quite easy. AOSP 4.2.2, that is. That's the current android version that the Gear is running. Porting 4.4.2 on the other hand, not quite as easy. Also 4.4 is a minimum requirement for the Wear launcher right now, so 4.4.2 would be required. There also are some minor possible issues, like for example the mapping of the hardware button and the loss of the wake-gesture. Also sending notifications to the device could become quite.. uneasy. As of 4.3 it's easier to manage notifications in third party apps though, so a developer might create his own bluetooth-based notification sharing system, but it would cost a lot of effort.

For now it seems like the best start would be porting 4.2.2 over, just to get the hang of it and acquire a list of all the needed libraries and binaries. Step two would be attempting to port 4.4.2 and hopefully the Wear software when it hits the AOSP. My hopes are that the notification implementation that Wear uses is also bluetooth based, this would mean that there is no third-party application needed at all for managing notifications.
    I will attempt to port CM 10.1 (4.2.2) in my spare time over the course of the following weeks, I will keep you updated when there is more to share.
    So, small problem, I forgot that flashing 4.4 requires CWM, which requires volUP/volDOWN buttons, which we obviously don't have. Also, CWM Touch is closed-source. Philz-Touch might be a option, but I don't know how well it works with extremely low resolutions, and I haven't ever tried compiling that yet. I will push my vendor sources to my github when I'm finished, so this will all be open source as far as possible.

Edit: After some messing with the updater-script got 4.4 to install. Currently bootlooping, which is expected because I'm using the stock samsung kernel rather than one that has been built from source.