Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant

Search This thread

blackplatypus

Jan 22, 2008
i took it off by reinstalling the same rom over it deleted the kernel an the wifi to so im back to normal now but yea how do i do this properly i thought i just it on the rom an every thing is ok lol an whats adb

its included in the android sdk toolchain.

Can all the people which had problems, check the version of wpa_supplicant their rom is using? connectbot or via adb in cmd.exe/shell (adb shell wpa_supplicant -v) and post the output?.

It seems like some newer roms are using wpa_supplicant v6 with different libs.

You can try to use the precompiled wpa_supplicant from daveba http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7711198&postcount=6

our flash the attached signed update zip. (its the same file)

Attention: its not my file!!

Attachments

• wpa6_adhoc-signed.zip
    175.8 KB · Views: 23,223
Last edited:

luvjones305

May 6, 2010
MIAMI,FL
hi

Can all the people which had problems, check the version of wpa_supplicant their rom is using? connectbot or via adb in cmd.exe/shell (adb shell wpa_supplicant -v) and post the output?.

You can try to use the precompiled wpa_supplicant from daveba http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7711198&postcount=6

i dont have sdk i have mod recovery with the rom manager app that what i use for swapping roms an kernels i follow the same procedures when i flash roms on my motorola droid flashed an rooted on metropcs froyo frg01b kernel lv-250-1250 an i have connect bot in my sd card an i dont know what its for i bought the phone like this so what is connect bot im a noobie left blackberry to join the android family lol

RossLH

Aug 9, 2010
MD
This is causing some serious wifi issues with my Droid (running a rooted version of the original Froyo ROM). Immediately, I noticed that the phone couldn't scan for wifi networks. I replaced the file with the wpa6 file, had the same issues. Replaced both files with the original wpa supplement included in the ROM, and now wifi still wont work.

EDIT: Nandroid restore did the trick.

Last edited:

blackplatypus

Jan 22, 2008
This is causing some serious wifi issues with my Droid (running a rooted version of the original Froyo ROM). Immediately, I noticed that the phone couldn't scan for wifi networks. I replaced the file with the wpa6 file, had the same issues. Replaced both files with the original wpa supplement included in the ROM, and now wifi still wont work.

EDIT: Nandroid restore did the trick.

after pushing the original file "adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant" might help to set again correct permissions.

a logfile using "adb logcat" would be nice to see the error output.

manicmoose

Feb 12, 2010
Melbourne
Using the "wpa6_adhoc-signed.zip" version, I can connect to another Android phone's wireless hotspot, but I can't connect to my Windows-7 adhoc connection using wpa2. I can see the connection, but just not connect to it.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?
Enom 2.11.3 ROM, btw.

blackplatypus

Jan 22, 2008
Using the "wpa6_adhoc-signed.zip" version, I can connect to another Android phone's wireless hotspot, but I can't connect to my Windows-7 adhoc connection using wpa2. I can see the connection, but just not connect to it.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?
Enom 2.11.3 ROM, btw.

yeah thats because adhoc supports only open or WEP encrypted network (in wifi tether too you can only use WEP). It seems that newer windows edition (7, vista) support WPA2 AES, probably a windows only thing, but not sure about that.

Marshall07

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 30, 2007
L'aquila
I'm glad to see people resolving Google lacks! :D

I'd like to patch my wpa_supplicant (I have an HTC Wildfire w/ Android 2.1 and wpa_supplicant v0.5.11)

- Do you think this patched wpa_supplicant will work in my Android 2.1 even if it is compiled for froyo?
- Is it possible to use the v6 over the v5.11 or I have to use the v5 version?
- I guess I must be root to apply the patch, right?

Thanks very much!

Marshall

xoltrix2000

Jul 19, 2008
I can confirm that the orignal post file has successfully worked on my Nexus One with 2.2 Kang-o-Rama v10 beta rom.

Thank you sir for making this possible.

meteora

Aug 1, 2009
Obtaining IP address

I can see the adhoc network of my laptop on my phone but when i try to connect it stucks in the phase of obtaining IP address. I use pppoe connection on my laptop for adsl connection and static ip on my nexus one. any solutions?

blackplatypus

Jan 22, 2008
I'm glad to see people resolving Google lacks! :D

I'd like to patch my wpa_supplicant (I have an HTC Wildfire w/ Android 2.1 and wpa_supplicant v0.5.11)

- Do you think this patched wpa_supplicant will work in my Android 2.1 even if it is compiled for froyo?
- Is it possible to use the v6 over the v5.11 or I have to use the v5 version?
- I guess I must be root to apply the patch, right?

Thanks very much!

Marshall

you need a rooted device to flash the signed update.zip or push the modified wpa_supplicant. Always do a nandroid backup! use the 5.11.

The file was compiled for android 2.2 so it shouldn't work with eclair, depends how much the system libs have changed (bionic libc, libwpa_client.so..), so make a backup try it out ;) and revert in case of fail, or ask a eclair rom developer to build a patched wpa_supplicant for you, unfortunately I have no 2.1 toolchain ready at the moment.

Last edited:

Marshall07

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 30, 2007
L'aquila
you need a rooted device to flash the signed update.zip or push the modified wpa_supplicant. Always do a nandroid backup! use the 5.11.

The file was compiled for android 2.2 so it shouldn't work with eclair, depends how much the system libs have changed (bionic libc, libwpa_client.so..), so make a backup try it out ;) and revert in case of fail, or ask a eclair rom developer to build a patched wpa_supplicant for you, unfortunately I have no 2.1 toolchain ready at the moment.
Thanks for the reply blackplatypus,
At the moment Wildfire devices can be only "Soft Rooted" (the rooting must be applied manually after each reboot) because they have NAND protection which hasn't been hacked yet. In few words it's possible to execute programs as root but it's not possible to write into some system directories (e.g. /system IIRC).
So probablly I will not be able to replace the wpa_supplicant, even the correct version compiled for Eclair.

I'm just guessing...

Marshall

alakin

Aug 10, 2010
I can see the adhoc network of my laptop on my phone but when i try to connect it stucks in the phase of obtaining IP address. I use pppoe connection on my laptop for adsl connection and static ip on my nexus one. any solutions?
try to connect with another laptop or smartphone, so that you know if the problem is in the device or in the connection of your laptop. i had the same problem but it was in the wifi connection on my pc

nothas

Jun 20, 2010
Working on HTC Magic, Superfroyo 2.8.2 (based on Cyanogen RC2).

Not getting IP from WEP adhoc network, but ok with open one. Tested with ubuntu 10.04 and zydas chip.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heya,

Unfortunately android, to be precisely wpa_supplicant does not show ad-hoc networks, the following modified wpa_supplicant shows them, haven't seen it before so I posted it :).

all credits go to szym (http://szym.net/android/adhoc-wpa-supp.html)

The patch below modifies the wpa_supplicant code in the external/wpa_supplicant AOSP repo to make ad-hoc networks appear as regular APs with a (*) prefix.

The patch:

* removes the [IBSS] flag from scan results,
    * masquerades and demasquerades ad-hoc ssid with (*) prefix
    * sets mode 1 (ad-hoc) if the ssid is for IBSS
    * permits the supplicant to select an IBSS when associating to a given ssid

patch: http://szym.net/android/wpa_supplicant-ibss.patch

The only thing I did was to apply the patch compile it for froyo and supply a signed update zip with the modified wpa_supplicant, work was done by szym.

Flash the attached wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery and your done :).

a3e00f284ddff04804ba8d59364712b1 wpa_adhoc-signed.zip (v0.5.11)

Works with:

- Froyo/Eclair roms on HTC Hero (confirmed)
    - roms using wpa_supplicant v0.5.x

Attention:
    - It _seems_ like some rom using wpa_supplicant v0.6.x do not work! take care (e.g HTC Desire). Please report back.

you may check this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7716862&postcount=24

Always do a nandroid backup!!
    i took it off by reinstalling the same rom over it deleted the kernel an the wifi to so im back to normal now but yea how do i do this properly i thought i just it on the rom an every thing is ok lol an whats adb

Sweet.

I got this working on my HTC Flyer WiFi with FlyHigh Rom.

Extract the wpa_supplicant from the zip file. Back up your original. Turn WiFi off. Use Root Explorer to paste it into your system/bin folder. Change the permissions on the file to rwxr-xr-x. Turn wifi back on. When scanning it should show (*) in front of any adhoc networks. I have it running with barnacle wifi tether on my OG Droid! W00tness!
    Would anyone provide "ad-hoc support in wep" in a signed update zip? Thanks.
    I got this working on my HTC Flyer WiFi with FlyHigh Rom.

Extract the wpa_supplicant from the zip file. Back up your original. Turn WiFi off. Use Root Explorer to paste it into your system/bin folder. Change the permissions on the file to rwxr-xr-x. Turn wifi back on. When scanning it should show (*) in front of any adhoc networks. I have it running with barnacle wifi tether on my OG Droid! W00tness!

Thank you. you are a genius