Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City
WTF just called tmobile to get s4 and they say i have to upgrade my plan too. which is like 200 dollar per month . **** no .. i am ok with s 3.

re: 50% correct.

WTF just called tmobile to get s4 and they say i have to upgrade my plan too. which is like 200 dollar per month . **** no .. i am ok with s 3.

You are only 50% correct.

You can buy the S4 outright for $689.00 or somewhere close to that
from Tmobile as soon as they get it in stock. (another week or so).

What you cannot do is buy the S4 on monthly payments from Tmobile
without also upgrading your plan and a new 2 year contract.

Reactions: bikrame

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City
I said to her , when i calculate money 149 + 20*24 = 629 , then why you are charging me more , (she told me 730 ) . she says thats with plan upgrade. i think i will wait till it comes to 650 or get from craiglist.

EtherealRemnant

This is for Classic plan customers I would assume since the whole point of Value is to get customers on EIP...?

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City
I called again today , lady was nice, give me option to switch plan for 100 for one line (which i am basically upgrading) . but give me discount on data (unlimited for 15 instead 30 now)
I order one :)
and put s 3 on craiglist on 325 lol

clninja

Jun 25, 2011
Denver

Tmobile doesn't do any contracts anymore so no.. It would not be a new 2 year contract .

EtherealRemnant

I had the privilege of talking to a tier 1 tech rep with enough knowledge to be tier 2... She said that she likes the One more - but - she said she has had a lot of customer complaints. She said the S4 was overloaded, which we all have heard, and she actually said if we have S3s and no Lte, wait. She couldn't give me details but she said that Snapdragon 800 devices are coming by 3Q

As far as us being upgraded, she said what the official company stance is that we get KLP and then the s3 is EOL. She confirmed that Samsung has come to them with two 4.1.2 offerings which were rejected and on the table right now is a 4.2.2 that may be dropped in preference to get 4.3 or KLP - she noted that the 4.3 offering is just an extension of Jelly bean and that it is currently being reviewed for a release, however, they won't make a new release before IO

Sent from my SGH-T999

sfsilicon

Feb 8, 2010
SF Bay Area
Upgrade strategies for Long time (grandfathered) TMO customers

Tmobile doesn't do any contracts anymore so no.. It would not be a new 2 year contract .

I'm a long time TMO customer and still confused about the impact of the new "uncarrier" strategy on how I buy devices. I get the point that TMO's new plans are cheaper in the long run for new customers since they don't subsidize phones anymore. My problem is that I am already on a really cheap grandfathered plan and haven't had or seen any incentive to change. Basically MyFaves for Families w/ 2 lines and Unlimited Data plus 400 text messages for $110/m before taxes & fees. In the past the subsidized phones allowed me to get a latest phones (e.g. SGS3) for ~$150. With the new plans I don't see any savings in switching and I'm losing out on ~$500 ($650 phone cost - $150 paid w/ 2 year contract) subsidy on new phones.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on discounts TMO provides for long time customers? Do they have discounted HW for long time customers or retention incentives for those planning to switch? I heard that resellers (e.g. Wirefly) are still treated differently and can't offer the new plans. Is there a way to do a 2 year upgrade with them and get a subsidized TMO phone?

kingston73

Feb 8, 2011
I'm a long time TMO customer and still confused about the impact of the new "uncarrier" strategy on how I buy devices. I get the point that TMO's new plans are cheaper in the long run for new customers since they don't subsidize phones anymore. My problem is that I am already on a really cheap grandfathered plan and haven't had or seen any incentive to change. Basically MyFaves for Families w/ 2 lines and Unlimited Data plus 400 text messages for $110/m before taxes & fees. In the past the subsidized phones allowed me to get a latest phones (e.g. SGS3) for ~$150. With the new plans I don't see any savings in switching and I'm losing out on ~$500 ($650 phone cost - $150 paid w/ 2 year contract) subsidy on new phones.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on discounts TMO provides for long time customers? Do they have discounted HW for long time customers or retention incentives for those planning to switch? I heard that resellers (e.g. Wirefly) are still treated differently and can't offer the new plans. Is there a way to do a 2 year upgrade with them and get a subsidized TMO phone?

I guess it really depends on what your current plan is, for me switching from the 2 year contract plan I had (2 lines, 2gbs data, unlimited text, 1000 mins for $135) to the "uncarrier" plan (2 lines, unlimited mins and texts, 2.5 gbs data) is saving me about $30 a month. My wife upgraded to the iphone 5 which only cost her $99 up front. We have to pay the phone off but have 2 years with zero interest to pay it. I wasn't sure how the billing would work but if you go this route you have your bill split into 2 parts, the monthly service bill and the Equipment Installment Plan as a separate bill. With the EIP you can pay as much as you want each month so it doesn't have to take the full 2 years to pay off, it's basically a zero down loan. So in the end for us I'm still paying a little less per month and can upgrade phones whenever I want, BUT I don't get the carrier subsidy discount now.

sfsilicon

Feb 8, 2010
SF Bay Area
I guess it really depends on what your current plan is, for me switching from the 2 year contract plan I had (2 lines, 2gbs data, unlimited text, 1000 mins for $135) to the "uncarrier" plan (2 lines, unlimited mins and texts, 2.5 gbs data) is saving me about $30 a month. My wife upgraded to the iphone 5 which only cost her $99 up front. We have to pay the phone off but have 2 years with zero interest to pay it. I wasn't sure how the billing would work but if you go this route you have your bill split into 2 parts, the monthly service bill and the Equipment Installment Plan as a separate bill. With the EIP you can pay as much as you want each month so it doesn't have to take the full 2 years to pay off, it's basically a zero down loan. So in the end for us I'm still paying a little less per month and can upgrade phones whenever I want, BUT I don't get the carrier subsidy discount now.

I think I have a 5GB unlimited, I've gotten close to 5GB of data without any slow down. I'm not sure, since before the new plans they used to put xGB and 2G speeds after on my account page, now it just states unlimited. I'm guessing with the new plans since I'm not on the 2GB plan I must be on unlimited. I guess I could try downloading more than 2.5GB to check it out. ;)

I did the math below and I'd be paying $720 more over 2 years to stay on my unlimited data and get a new phone plus ongoing $10/m. The only way to save would be to get the 500MB plan and save $240, but that is not enough data for me.

Looks like I will be sticking with my current plan to keep the unlimited data. I'm paying $480 more to get a new phone over 2 years compared to the old TMO plans. Sigh!!!

---

COMPARISON OVER 2 YEARS
ME OLD TMO vs Unlimited Data -> $2790 - $3510 = -$720 (after 2 years $10/m more)
ME OLD TMO vs 2GB Data -> $2790 - $3030 = -$240 (after 2 years $0/m more)
ME OLD TMO vs 500MB Data -> $2790 - $2550 = $240 savings (after 2 years $20/m less)
ME OLD TMO vs ME UNCARRIER -> $2790 - $3270 = -$480 (after 2 years $0/m more)

---

Examples assumes buying a new SGS4. There is no difference between paying the $630 phone price up front or the $150 down + 20 x24 payments.

ME OLD TMO (2 lines, 2x unlimited data grandfathered)
$110 per month for 2 years
$150 subsidized phone price
$0 x24 monthly payments
Total over 2 years = $2790

Note: Since OLD TMO plan w/ Upgrade subsidy is not available, I save the $150 from the subsidized phone price, but have to pay the full $630 phone price upfront.

ME UNCARRIER (2 lines, 2x unlimited data grandfathered)
$110 per month for 2 years
$630 subsidized phone price
$0 x24 monthly payments
Total over 2 years = $3270

UNCARRIER (2 lines, 2x unlimited)
$120 per month for 2 years
$20 x24 monthly payments
Total over 2 years = $3510

UNCARRIER (2 lines, 2x 2GB)
$100 per month for 2 years
$20 x24 monthly payments
Total over 2 years = $3030

UNCARRIER (2 lines, 2x 500MB)
$80 per month for 2 years
$20 x24 monthly payments
Total over 2 years = $2550

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Any buddy feeling the confirmed $649 SGS IV Google Experience phone? Its the s4 but with AOSP on it. I know a few that will jump on it,

T-Mobile SGS III

TheLastSidekick

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Yeah our phones are still very powerful. I'd be even hard pressed to say get the S5. However, due to seeing a Galaxy s4 with AOSP I'd probably upgrade anyways. Sounds too good to be true.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Any buddy feeling the confirmed $649 SGS IV Google Experience phone? Its the s4 but with AOSP on it. I know a few that will jump on it,

T-Mobile SGS III

Lol sorry totally didn't even see your post. But I guess I proved your point! :p

mt3g

Aug 14, 2009
Phoenix
Yeah our phones are still very powerful. I'd be even hard pressed to say get the S5. However, due to seeing a Galaxy s4 with AOSP I'd probably upgrade anyways. Sounds too good to be true.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Lol sorry totally didn't even see your post. But I guess I proved your point! :p

No need for apologies. I'm hesitant about it, even though it comes out on my bday, I just don't see the point. I can use a couple certain builds that I have of my own that run AOSP great and just what I need on my s3 and it flies. Native AOSP does sound great though, just not worth $650. I know a few devs that are eye balling it. That part makes me think twice, we'll see.

Reactions: perpetualnoob

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I want the S4! Somebody buy it for me please!? :D I'll be your friend ^-^

perpetualnoob

Feb 17, 2012
Dallas
Htl W100 and Note 2

I have a N2 as main phone just bought the S3 to play with along with a Htl W100. I also don't see the point to the S4 (money not the issue really) maybe a little. I'm starting to worry I'll never find any roms for the Htl W100 though...
:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please use this thread to discuss all other devices besides the S3.
    Thanks
    FNM
    So how about that iPhone 5 huh? ....Guys? Guys? Where did everybody go? :crying:
    I think I would rather buy the HTC one over the S4
    Thinking of upgrading from S3 to S4.... Is it worth the money ?????

Early reports say no... And the bootloader is locked as well. They managed to root it but it may be awhile before custom ROMs can be installed. Battery life is worse than the One as well (its marginally better than the battery life of the S3 by early accounts).

If you have an S3, I would recommend waiting at least until Google I/O to see what they have up their sleeves... The Snapdragon 800 devices are coming this year and they look to be beasts... Hell do a Google on "LG D801" and see what I mean...

Tegra 4i is coming too. Its too early to jump into another device in my opinion - the S3 just has so much life left in it.