Android system eating battery

Search This thread

ireknole

Mar 15, 2011
My battery is declining faster than expected and when I looked up my stats, it showed that Android system was eating up more battery than the screen! uploadfromtaptalk1398536531446.jpg I took my better battery stats as well. uploadfromtaptalk1398536578616.jpg I don't have location services on, but I am using Google Now. Is that the reason for this battery drain?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GlitchMob

Apr 4, 2013
Bay Area
Yeah the phone's battery is great. I always have gps, wifi, and Bluetooth on with pretty good results. I can only imagine how much longer it would last with some of those off.

Reactions: kprice8

ireknole

Mar 15, 2011
I'm not complaining, but just curious why Android system is such a battery drain. It would seem that the screen would be the biggest drain.

ireknole

Mar 15, 2011
Because it is what makes everything in the phone work....

So it should be higher in usage than the screen? I always thought it was a bad thing if Android system was the first thing on the list.

Okay then, never mind. I am happy with the battery life, just want to make sure I'm getting the best battery this phone can offer.

kprice8

Apr 23, 2014
Lansing MI
Just for your reference.

Sent from my SM-G900V on xda Premium app with no root

Attachments

• 1398687382330.jpg
    1398687382330.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 103

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Generally though if Android OS is higher than your screen on time then you have a wakelock issue. I know without root it'll be a little harder to fix the issue at hand though.

I'd at least look into WiFi settings and turn Always Allow Scanning to Off. Then maybe look at your GPS settings and try the battery friendly mode or GPS only mode. I also don't allow Google to use your WiFi for better location results. There have been similar bugs reported with 4.4 here is some info and afew people trying to squash the issue on a Nexus http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/1y96zm/battery_drain_caused_by_android_os_possible/
You boys need root!
I'm not sure if any of the wake lock apps out can show you what's causing this without root but maybe look into it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Also you can try changing the "keep WiFi on during sleep" to either off or only when plugged in. That may help. Just suggestions that's all. Maybe something here will help somebody.

Franzie3

Sep 24, 2010
Newburgh, NY
You also have to remember how much Samsung based apps are running in the background at all times. Figure the pedometer in S-Health, any kind of airview, or S-This S-That when the phone is on. That is probably part of the cause. I do say i see it too but i wouldnt say my battery is exactly bad because of it.

Reactions: Mistertac

ireknole

Mar 15, 2011
Generally though if Android OS is higher than your screen on time then you have a wakelock issue. I know without root it'll be a little harder to fix the issue at hand though.

I'd at least look into WiFi settings and turn Always Allow Scanning to Off. Then maybe look at your GPS settings and try the battery friendly mode or GPS only mode. I also don't allow Google to use your WiFi for better location results. There have been similar bugs reported with 4.4 here is some info and afew people trying to squash the issue on a Nexus http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/1y96zm/battery_drain_caused_by_android_os_possible/
You boys need root!
I'm not sure if any of the wake lock apps out can show you what's causing this without root but maybe look into it.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Also you can try changing the "keep WiFi on during sleep" to either off or only when plugged in. That may help. Just suggestions that's all. Maybe something here will help somebody.

Thank you for those tips! I didn't know about that wifi one. I immediately unchecked always scanning. I keep my wifi on to make sure I use wifi, if available, but I don't need it always scanning. I hesitated on the gps switch, but I figured I'll try it on power saver and see what happens.

Edit:

etudage4.jpg

After turning off wifi scanning, that's what I got. That looks better to me. Although my usage time is lower than my previous screenshot, I started my day at 90% (forgot to charge last night, and that's as high as I could get it before leaving for work), and I'm using my phone more today.

Last edited:

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
There's another thread on this. It's happening to a lot of people, including me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah, just last night I had 15 hours on battery, over 5 hours of screen on and still 20% battery left. Don't know why OP os complaining.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Yeah the phone's battery is great. I always have gps, wifi, and Bluetooth on with pretty good results. I can only imagine how much longer it would last with some of those off.

You also have to remember how much Samsung based apps are running in the background at all times. Figure the pedometer in S-Health, any kind of airview, or S-This S-That when the phone is on. That is probably part of the cause. I do say i see it too but i wouldnt say my battery is exactly bad because of it.