[ How-To ] Fix SD card not being detected & USB port not working

Search This thread

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Decided to update the instructions for this fix.

Thx to sruon for the fix

Original instructions pulled from IEFtm's post @ Modaco

These fixes require the Android SDK and very basic ADB knowledge. You can copy and paste for most.

Make sure in device manager the driver for fastboot is installed (Win 7 downloads them automatically)

For USB fix

Download the flash_image & mtd-eng.img attached, unzip them and put them on the SD card before starting

SD Card Fix

Press & hold vol down and power on the phone
Select fastboot by pressing the power button

ADB commands

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot reboot

That should fix your SD card not being detected.

USB Fix * Root REQUIRED *

Update - Some have reported that updating the radio fixes this, so if this guide doesn't work, try that

Run from a terminal emulator in Android since ADB won't work if the USB port is not working

Terminal emulator & ADB commands

su
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/mtd-eng.img > /data/mtd-eng.img
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd-eng.img
reboot

And that should fix the USB issue

Attachments

• flash_image.zip
    48.6 KB · Views: 11,054
  • mtd-eng.zip
    878 bytes · Views: 8,659
Last edited:

Aridon

May 14, 2007
Can you pull the battery and try a different sd card? Maybe reformatting (full) the card may help. You could always restore using the base sprint rom and try rooting again

Last edited:

swaze

Nov 11, 2009
did you try pulling the battery and trying the same process? I dont think you bricked it, seems like something else is going on. Did you remove the SD card while it was running?

sruon

May 17, 2010
Btw to reenable SD Card and ****s go into fastboot and type

fastboot reboot

West650

May 24, 2008
Frisco
You tried hard resetting already?

Turn the power off.

If your HTC EVO 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it

Hold the Volume Down button

Press and release the Power button

You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock

Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button

Press and release the Power button

Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC EVO 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Btw to reenable SD Card and ****s go into fastboot and type

fastboot reboot

This did let Android recognize the SD card, so thanks

This is probably the same thing known as "USB Bricks" for HTC Desires... It has been untested on EVO 4G but here is a topic that explains it for HTC Desire.

http://android.modaco.com/content/h...com/309939/usb-brick-rickrolled-b0rked-fixed/

It should be the same mechanics so... I have good hope for you.

Hopefully this fixes the USB issue, so I'll report back shortly

You tried hard resetting already?

Wiping/Hard reset didn't fix it

Darth Pooh

Oct 4, 2006
Thanks for this mate. Worked like a charm... even with your files, I didn't need to muck around with the generator or a hex editor. I will tell you this tho, I dont ever wanna do that again. 10 minutes to type 5 command lines in a shell on an Evo sucks hard.

Reactions: je2854

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Thanks for this mate. Worked like a charm... even with your files, I didn't need to muck around with the generator or a hex editor. I will tell you this tho, I dont ever wanna do that again. 10 minutes to type 5 command lines in a shell on an Evo sucks hard.

Glad I could help but be sure to thank sruon as he is the one that posted the link

calkulin good to see you messin around already, you dont waste any time! any idea what caused this issue for you or how to avoid/prevent it?

I don't know what exactly caused it, I don't remember exactly what I did right before the restore failed but I know I was working on de-odexing the system and since 5pm was coming around, I decide to restore and it failed. So I really don't know if it was the failing of the restore or something else(had flashed the Froyo ROM about a hour before too).

+1, i used many of his winmo roms. cant wait to see what he does with android

I'm already working on something don't worry :D But I need to finish my v1.6 ROM for the Moment first

p-slim

May 25, 2008
San Jose
sorry calkulin, me and you go way back, i can't wait for you to start building roms for this bad boy. unfortunately the same thing happened to me, i think my friend broke it when i asked him to pull my sd card out, anyways after i took it out it never read another sd card again. i had to get my evo exchanged yesterday, so the 1st day i didn't even get to play with it.

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Nice to see you p-slim, buy yeah I can see how someone can damage the SD card slot, it definitely is a pain to remove and insert a card, especially if you have short finger nails. But don't worry, mine only lasted 3 hours before I "thought" I had killed it, so your not alone :eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Decided to update the instructions for this fix.

Thx to sruon for the fix

Original instructions pulled from IEFtm's post @ Modaco

These fixes require the Android SDK and very basic ADB knowledge. You can copy and paste for most.

Make sure in device manager the driver for fastboot is installed (Win 7 downloads them automatically)

For USB fix

Download the flash_image & mtd-eng.img attached, unzip them and put them on the SD card before starting

SD Card Fix

Press & hold vol down and power on the phone
    Select fastboot by pressing the power button

ADB commands

fastboot reboot

That should fix your SD card not being detected.

USB Fix * Root REQUIRED *

Update - Some have reported that updating the radio fixes this, so if this guide doesn't work, try that

Run from a terminal emulator in Android since ADB won't work if the USB port is not working

Terminal emulator & ADB commands

su
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
    cat /sdcard/mtd-eng.img > /data/mtd-eng.img
    chmod 755 /data/flash_image
    /data/flash_image misc /data/mtd-eng.img
    reboot

And that should fix the USB issue
    In the middle of use today, my Evo suddenly announced that I had removed the SD card and warned me that I should not do so without powering down.

I tried a number of different things to get it to re-recognize the SD card and have been thus far unsuccessful, the most annoying of which was selecting the manufacturer reset option in Recovery, which wiped all my data and some of my apps, but didn't fix the SD card issue. :S

Plugging in the USB activates charging, the computer recognizes the USB drive but indicates that there is no disk in it. My 3 "Connect to PC" options are: Charge Only, HTC Sync, and USB Tethering. USB Tethering works, and HTC Sync won't find Sync on the computer....even though ADB devices does find the device.

I found this thread and followed the instructions and fastboot indicated that all was happy - except that when it rebooted, I still have no SD access.

I've checked the SD card on my computer, and it's fine - I just can't get the phone to recognize it at all, not via recovery, nor with Astro, or anything I've tried.

Any thoughts on what's up? Since it just randomly went out in the middle of use, I'm worried it might be a hardware failure on the side of the phone....

Using:
    Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo RLS5
    Supersonic EVT2-3 ENG S-OFF
    HBoot 0.76.2000
    Radio 2.15.00.11.19

Happened to me as well. I had to back up my card to my pc and format it to get it to work again.
    Can you be a little more detailed? When restart my Evo holding the power and vol down buttomn I see an option for Fastboot, but I don't see any way to enter commands.

You need to have your Evo connected to the computer via USB. You also need to have the fastboot binary on your computer (install the android sdk tools if you haven't already). Then from your bootloader, select the 'fastboot' option. That will put your Evo in fastboot usb mode. Now, open up a command prompt on your computer, and enter the commands from the terminal. To check if your phone is detected before entering the commands, type 'fastboot devices' then hit enter. If your phone is detected, the command prompt should output your phone's serial number. If so, then you're good to go ahead and enter the commands. Good luck.
    This might be a backwards fix but has anyone tried running a RUU to see if it fixes that.I remember having that problem awhile ago,and I'm kinda sure that's how I fixed it. If anyone wants to give it a go here's the newest one, you will have to reroot but you'll stay s-off...

http://db.tt/x4eoGH6G