USB Device Not Recognised on Bootloader

Search This thread
Apr 27, 2006
UK
I have a problem. My Exec is stuck on the bootloader screen. All I see is Serial at the top, and v1.00 at the bottom.

When I connect my exec via USB, the screen continues to say Serial (rather than switching to USB) and the PC I connect to 'installs' the device as 'unknown device' in device manager.

I've seen mention of the problem elsewhere on the site, but the only solution I can find seems to be to keep trying, and eventually it's recognised. So far, after three days of trying, it has not been recognised.

I am aware of Buzz tool to get the device out of bootloader mode, but that required a connection to be established, which at the moment, I can't do.

Has anyone got any experience of this, or any ideas as to what's causing this, or how this can be fixed? I have tried uninstalling the 'unknown device' from device manger, restarting the PC (and hard reset of the Exec) then reconnecting, but the same thing happens every time.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I'm currently staring at a rather expensive paper weight.

niketkumar

Jul 24, 2006
New Delhi
Try this it shld work
This is based on my experience with two UNis..one Exec and other JASJAR..both had same problem...this is how I solved :

-Put yr device in bootloader Mode
-Disable USB in Active Sync
-Now connect woth USB cable and open mtty utility
-Select the "WESUSB... " port
-You shall see a blank white screen..press Enter to get "USB>"
-Then type ( as BUzz has informed) set 14 0
(here I wud like to inform that after doing the above I did not get success so I typed set 14 10,then set 14 9 for two three times)
-Then I ran the ROM Upgrade directly(After enbabling the USB)
-I then followed the procedure as informed on the COngratulations Screen that is hold the two "-" buttons and soft reset and then pressed 0
-I got them back to normal..

I hope this helps to all my friends...Pls feel free..pls do not trouble our Buzz..he might be busy in inventing something more to our devices

shuflie

Apr 14, 2006
Belfast
I have a problem. My Exec is stuck on the bootloader screen. All I see is Serial at the top, and v1.00 at the bottom.

When I connect my exec via USB, the screen continues to say Serial (rather than switching to USB) and the PC I connect to 'installs' the device as 'unknown device' in device manager.

I've seen mention of the problem elsewhere on the site, but the only solution I can find seems to be to keep trying, and eventually it's recognised. So far, after three days of trying, it has not been recognised.

I am aware of Buzz tool to get the device out of bootloader mode, but that required a connection to be established, which at the moment, I can't do.

Has anyone got any experience of this, or any ideas as to what's causing this, or how this can be fixed? I have tried uninstalling the 'unknown device' from device manger, restarting the PC (and hard reset of the Exec) then reconnecting, but the same thing happens every time.

Just noticed your user name, I was a big Amiga fan a few years back, still fire up Amiga forever occasionally on my PC when I feel the need.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I'm currently staring at a rather expensive paper weight.
Try it with a different USB cable or in a different USB port (don't go through a hub and if you've been using a laptop then try it on a desktop PC since some laptops have hubs built into them). If that doesn't work then you're out of luck as your Universal isn't detecting that you've connected to your PC and its time to send it in for repair.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2006
UK
Thanks Niketkumar - unfortunately it's the step before your suggestion kicks in thats the problem - the device won't connect to the PC, so when using mtty WESUSB..... isn't an option, only COM1 and COM2.

Shuflie, I've tried with three separate USB cables on a laptop and desktop (neither through a hub, and the same device has worked fine on both laptop and desktop before).

I fear a trip to the doctors is in order ...

Very frustrating because the PC sees a device, but installs it as unknown device. Anyone know if theres a Windows CE device driver that I could try and install as an overide (i.e. in device manager on the PC go to update driver and browse to a WinCE.inf or equivalent?)

Failing this, has anyone got any clue what needs to be fixed? Or how much it might cost?

whispers1

Feb 17, 2011
Dubai
i am stuck on the same problem and wondering the forum for almost 3 days now with no luck.... please help my device is in boot loader mood but not turning the serial to USB ......... please HELP.......

ammujee

Oct 25, 2008
Hyderabad
solution

Thanks Niketkumar - unfortunately it's the step before your suggestion kicks in thats the problem - the device won't connect to the PC, so when using mtty WESUSB..... isn't an option, only COM1 and COM2.

Shuflie, I've tried with three separate USB cables on a laptop and desktop (neither through a hub, and the same device has worked fine on both laptop and desktop before).

Very frustrating because the PC sees a device, but installs it as unknown device. Anyone know if theres a Windows CE device driver that I could try and install as an overide (i.e. in device manager on the PC go to update driver and browse to a WinCE.inf or equivalent?)

Failing this, has anyone got any clue what needs to be fixed? Or how much it might cost?

Please follow the steps:

1. Plug in ur usb cable in bootloader mode while it is showing 'serial' and version 'x.xx'.
2. Soft reset by pressing Backlight+power+reset pin WHILE KEEPING THE USB CABLE CONNECTED
3. your phone will now reboot into 'usb' mode. Don't remove the usb cable yet.
4. Remove the Memory card while keeping the usb cable still connected and VOILA,your pc starts recognising your phone as Microsoft usb sync.
5. Do whatever you want to do now (upgrade)

Hope it solves the problem now. :)

Press thanks if it does.

phil.cooke

Aug 16, 2006
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Something else to try

Having had a few issues with my G3 Uni, I've been through my fare share of Uni bootloader issues. When I find that I can't get the 'serial' to go to 'USB', I normally find it's because I haven't taken the memory card or the SIM card out (usually the memory card).

Make sure your memory card is out, then try to enter the bootloader and see if this cures it. If it does, then use mtty and the command 'set 14 0'

This tells it to reboot on reset. if you were to use 'set 14 1' it would go back to the bootloader on reset.

kaleb2954

Jun 6, 2012
my Htc hd2 t-mobile won't recognize usb on boot-loader mode

hey guys i have a big problem!!!! my Htc hd2 t-mobile won't recognize usb on boot-loader mode. Here is the story my phone was running android 2.3.7 cyanogen 7 but i wanted to update it to ics android 4.0.4, So to do that i restarted my phone while holding down the down volume button and the boot-loader with the three colors came-on saying serial but when i connect my usb cable it won't show usb. even when i tried to run the dft.exe it shows an error saying usb connection failed. BY the way it lets me access the sd card using the usb cable on my pc, so i don't know what the problem is. PLEAS HEALP i am begging u guys pleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hakim Rahman

Oct 28, 2010
in here
hey guys i have a big problem!!!! my Htc hd2 t-mobile won't recognize usb on boot-loader mode. Here is the story my phone was running android 2.3.7 cyanogen 7 but i wanted to update it to ics android 4.0.4, So to do that i restarted my phone while holding down the down volume button and the boot-loader with the three colors came-on saying serial but when i connect my usb cable it won't show usb. even when i tried to run the dft.exe it shows an error saying usb connection failed. BY the way it lets me access the sd card using the usb cable on my pc, so i don't know what the problem is. PLEAS HEALP i am begging u guys pleas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have the wrong forum friends! This Htc Universal section
to update Android on HTC HD2, you can use the Clock Work Mod Recovery !! for more details should refer to this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1021837

Last edited:

bechir2013

Mar 5, 2013
I-MATE JASJAR hung

Hi every one,

i have a serious problem with my HTC I-MATE JASJAR what's blocked in white screen (Serial / USB) and i cannot do anything on it, no boot, no reset soft, no reset Hard, no upgrade.

The issue is related to:
I tried to upgrade Radio ROM from 1.09.00 to 1.12 and i'm using Windows 7 Pro and when starting Flash, my PC shutdown because an electrical issue and since that, i cannot boot my device, i cannot flash or reset, my device is hung on white screen with Serial when no USB cable bluged in the PC and USB when Cable is pluged.

I Tried many times to boot it but no response, it's still hung and nothing can move on it.

I Just have one detail: when i plug the USB cable in my PC, the device is reconised but when starting upgrade or flash, i have error 101, no connexion.

Plz someone help me

d-two

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2008
Hi every one,

i have a serious problem with my HTC I-MATE JASJAR what's blocked in white screen (Serial / USB) and i cannot do anything on it, no boot, no reset soft, no reset Hard, no upgrade.

The issue is related to:
I tried to upgrade Radio ROM from 1.09.00 to 1.12 and i'm using Windows 7 Pro and when starting Flash, my PC shutdown because an electrical issue and since that, i cannot boot my device, i cannot flash or reset, my device is hung on white screen with Serial when no USB cable bluged in the PC and USB when Cable is pluged.

I Tried many times to boot it but no response, it's still hung and nothing can move on it.

I Just have one detail: when i plug the USB cable in my PC, the device is reconised but when starting upgrade or flash, i have error 101, no connexion.

Plz someone help me

look here

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5456317&postcount=6

the first point...