[Q] Malicious daily "alarm"

Search This thread

gdbbcmi

Jul 9, 2014
I have an issue that is making me crazy. Starting about 1 month ago, my N7 plays a very annoying "tune" for about 1-2 minutes precisely at 12:35 AM every day.

Some specifics:

- volume cannot be controlled or muted
- the "tune" that is played is not one of the normal choices. It is kind of crude sounding (like MIDI).
- does not provide any notification of any kind or show up as a running app
- does not appear to be associated with clock or calendar
- the only way to stop it is to power off

Steps I have taken to try to kill this thing (leaving out the obvious)

- "soft" factory reset/restore from N7 Settings menu - fail
- "Hard" facory reset using power/volume controls. Did not do a restore.. Only logged onto wireless and into my Google account . - fail
- complete wipe/reflash using adb/fastboot/nakasi image from Google developer page instructions. - fail

I'm a complete Android noob, but not a software/hardware noob. This defies logic to me. I found reference to a very similar problem on another forum, but the post was never answered. I have several other Android devices and none have this issue. I'm convinced that this is something malicious. Where is this thing hiding that it can survive a reflash? Please help, I'm beginning to think my N7 is haunted.

gdbbcmi

Jul 9, 2014
Bump for help

Sorry to bump this but it appears that the views have stopped and so far no replies. As noted in my original post I have seen this issue reported elsewhere but not solved. I even tried loading Cyanogenmod and it's still there! I realize that asking for help on you first post is asking a lot, but I really could use some help/suggestions. Is there somewhere in the file system I should look for the code that is running this? Are there monitoring tools I could use to identify the process that is running? Are there log files somewhere I could look at?

Besides being really annoying, it's hard to feel secure when something like this keeps coming back after the device has supposedly been wiped multiple times. If I can't solve it, it's probably going to get beaten to a pulp with a sledgehammer! Thanks for any suggestions.

I have an issue that is making me crazy. Starting about 1 month ago, my N7 plays a very annoying "tune" for about 1-2 minutes precisely at 12:35 AM every day.

Some specifics:

- volume cannot be controlled or muted
- the "tune" that is played is not one of the normal choices. It is kind of crude sounding (like MIDI).
- does not provide any notification of any kind or show up as a running app
- does not appear to be associated with clock or calendar
- the only way to stop it is to power off

Steps I have taken to try to kill this thing (leaving out the obvious)

- "soft" factory reset/restore from N7 Settings menu - fail
- "Hard" facory reset using power/volume controls. Did not do a restore.. Only logged onto wireless and into my Google account . - fail
- complete wipe/reflash using adb/fastboot/nakasi image from Google developer page instructions. - fail

I'm a complete Android noob, but not a software/hardware noob. This defies logic to me. I found reference to a very similar problem on another forum, but the post was never answered. I have several other Android devices and none have this issue. I'm convinced that this is something malicious. Where is this thing hiding that it can survive a reflash? Please help, I'm beginning to think my N7 is haunted.

gdbbcmi

Jul 9, 2014
Solved!

This is solved. I'd like to say I know exactly what worked, but apparently after the umpteenth wipe/re-flash, the poltergeist got bored and moved on. Thanks for thinking about it.

Sorry to bump this but it appears that the views have stopped and so far no replies. As noted in my original post I have seen this issue reported elsewhere but not solved. I even tried loading Cyanogenmod and it's still there! I realize that asking for help on you first post is asking a lot, but I really could use some help/suggestions. Is there somewhere in the file system I should look for the code that is running this? Are there monitoring tools I could use to identify the process that is running? Are there log files somewhere I could look at?

Besides being really annoying, it's hard to feel secure when something like this keeps coming back after the device has supposedly been wiped multiple times. If I can't solve it, it's probably going to get beaten to a pulp with a sledgehammer! Thanks for any suggestions.