What reason is there to buy an Android tablet over a Windows tablet?

Search This thread

Poecifer

Oct 24, 2012
I'm in the market to purchase a new tablet and I've dug around quite thoroughly in hopes of finding something that suits me. I started looking at a nexus device because Nexus devices are generally the best when it comes to Android (At least in terms of Software, Hardware I'll always go Motorola strictly for build quality.) I did my fair share of digging and stumbled into the Microsoft Store here in Austin not expecting much in the way of tablets outside of a Surface and I simply don't like the shape or feel of them (Though the build quality is superb and likely unparalleled outside of the Apple world.) I also couldn't justify $800 for a tablet unless it was as powerful as my gaming laptop that I spent roughly the same amount on.Looking around though, I found this Lenovo Miix 2 8. This thing really feels good. I mean, I've used all there is with Android but this thing feels like it's what Windows 8 was built for. The gestures are amazingly intuitive when you can reach them all, the OS is likely the most touch friendly of it's kind. It's the first tablet that I've used where I felt like I was using a full-scale OS brought down to a tablet size with the added benefit of touch input... It's not just an oversized phone and on top of that, it costs $50 less than the Android tablets I was considering. I have Borderlands 2 playing on this thing at a solid 28-32 FPS and it cost less than the competition. I've been using it for about two days now. I'm mostly an Android user and I'm wondering, is there any real benefit for me to turn this thing back in in my grace period and shuck out another $50 bucks for an Android tablet?

Maduro78

Nov 24, 2013
With android everythings intergrated. There's a lot more support with android . I was also looking at a ms tab not too long ago but I was turned off once I realized there wasn't much I could do with customizing the operating system. I like the new tab pro line but the pricing is a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Kohelet

Sep 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
kohelet.tech
It really all depends on what your priorities are. I had a Windows tablet/phone for about a year and I absolutely loved the user experience. Personally, I think it was the best touch experience I've ever had in a mobile device, and my history of smartphone mobile device OSes has been android-->iOS-->windows phone 7-->windows 8/windows phone 8--> android.

Each device is made for a particular audience and thus will be good at different things. As a consumer device targeted at business users and your average consumers, windows 8 devices do a great job providing a beautiful UI with an intuitive user interface as well as the ability to run desktop applications if needed.

The reason I ultimately went back to Android was because I missed the customizability of it. That and I love the fact that if I want, I can go look at the source for most of the components on my phone, and if I'm really irked about something I can modify it.

If you're just looking for a device to use for entertainment and things like document editing, email, social media, etc, a Windows device will provide an amazing user experience. I wouldn't advocate dropping the tablet you already have to go to android unless there's something specific about Android that you want. As much I loved going back to Android, selling my Lumia 810 was hard for me because I really loved the interface. If Microsoft should ever open source windows phone 8 and make windows 8/windows phone 8 as customizable as android, I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

Poecifer

Oct 24, 2012
It really all depends on what your priorities are. I had a Windows tablet/phone for about a year and I absolutely loved the user experience. Personally, I think it was the best touch experience I've ever had in a mobile device, and my history of smartphone mobile device OSes has been android-->iOS-->windows phone 7-->windows 8/windows phone 8--> android.

Each device is made for a particular audience and thus will be good at different things. As a consumer device targeted at business users and your average consumers, windows 8 devices do a great job providing a beautiful UI with an intuitive user interface as well as the ability to run desktop applications if needed.

The reason I ultimately went back to Android was because I missed the customizability of it. That and I love the fact that if I want, I can go look at the source for most of the components on my phone, and if I'm really irked about something I can modify it.

If you're just looking for a device to use for entertainment and things like document editing, email, social media, etc, a Windows device will provide an amazing user experience. I wouldn't advocate dropping the tablet you already have to go to android unless there's something specific about Android that you want. As much I loved going back to Android, selling my Lumia 810 was hard for me because I really loved the interface. If Microsoft should ever open source windows phone 8 and make windows 8/windows phone 8 as customizable as android, I'd go back to it in a heartbeat.

I don't think there will ever be more support for Android than full Windows, it's just not viable and ChromeOS is a sad, strange joke. This is an entertainment and social device. I couldn't care less about customization. I move my apps into their folders and I'm content. I do apologize if I sounded rude in the initial part of this, it was mostly for the other guy. I'm OS agnostic and just use what's more user friendly and Android's OS just isn't as touch friendly or appealing regardless of modification. Live tiles just look cooler. I think I'll likely stick with the Lenovo. I'd rather have a PC that fits in my back pocket as opposed to a slightly larger phone minus the service plan.

ChaosDraco

Oct 20, 2012
I'd go for a Windows tablet if I'd want to work related stuff and all.

I think its up for you to decide. Check both Pros and Cons, have fun checking specifications and reviews about your desired devices.

Kohelet

Sep 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
kohelet.tech
I don't think there will ever be more support for Android than full Windows, it's just not viable and ChromeOS is a sad, strange joke. This is an entertainment and social device. I couldn't care less about customization. I move my apps into their folders and I'm content. I do apologize if I sounded rude in the initial part of this, it was mostly for the other guy. I'm OS agnostic and just use what's more user friendly and Android's OS just isn't as touch friendly or appealing regardless of modification. Live tiles just look cooler. I think I'll likely stick with the Lenovo. I'd rather have a PC that fits in my back pocket as opposed to a slightly larger phone minus the service plan.

Different strokes for different folks. Each has their uses and target audience. Congrats on finding a new home!

joeb3219

Feb 20, 2014
www.chemify.org
I've tried both a Windows tablet and an assortment of Android devices, though my views may be a bit biased as a Linux/Android user/developer. Overall, I feel that the user experience of an Android device is much smoother, more integrated, and overall more enjoyable. From a developers standpoint, I find Android to be more simplistic (in terms of ease of development), and yet far more advanced in terms of what I can actually do.

There is also something to be said about the scope of what Microsoft can do, vs what Google can do. IMO, although I find Google to be much more assertive in our daily lives, they are able to create a much more enjoyable user experience than Microsoft can.

In short? I'd shell out the extra $50 for the Android.

Poecifer

Oct 24, 2012
I've tried both a Windows tablet and an assortment of Android devices, though my views may be a bit biased as a Linux/Android user/developer. Overall, I feel that the user experience of an Android device is much smoother, more integrated, and overall more enjoyable. From a developers standpoint, I find Android to be more simplistic (in terms of ease of development), and yet far more advanced in terms of what I can actually do.

There is also something to be said about the scope of what Microsoft can do, vs what Google can do. IMO, although I find Google to be much more assertive in our daily lives, they are able to create a much more enjoyable user experience than Microsoft can.

In short? I'd shell out the extra $50 for the Android.

I've had the opposite experience. Android's dev tools are awful... Likely the worst of the lot. Microsoft put a ton of work into their development suite and it shows. That and Android has never been a smooth experience for me. It's one I've mostly enjoyed but I've had a lot of battery pulls, force closes, and ill-responsive devices en route to that point. Sure, you have system access but honestly, it almost needs it to be usable on anything outside of a Nexus device. I don't see where Android creates a better user experience on any front.

Nufacts

Jan 4, 2014
Android Win

Well, I never have or own a window phone or windows tablet ever so I cannot said much about it. However, as an Android user, I have more privilege on doing whatever I want to my phone or to my tablet (Kindle fire) like root my phone and tablet. I still own a SG2! it is still running smoothly with milestone installed. I guess it is up to the users. Users that like to modified their phones tend to go beyond a regular user. Users that are not really into modifying their phones tend to just go with original stock. On the tablet side, I love doing thing like rooting and modifying to something else like replace amazon store with google play store. I guess I do not like anything without root.

Last edited:

Kohelet

Sep 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA
kohelet.tech
I've had the opposite experience. Android's dev tools are awful... Likely the worst of the lot. Microsoft put a ton of work into their development suite and it shows. That and Android has never been a smooth experience for me. It's one I've mostly enjoyed but I've had a lot of battery pulls, force closes, and ill-responsive devices en route to that point. Sure, you have system access but honestly, it almost needs it to be usable on anything outside of a Nexus device. I don't see where Android creates a better user experience on any front.

MS dev tools are pretty nice, but that's because they have to be. Android's not really meant to be a centralized and standardized experience. It's meant to succeed or fail based on the motivation and effort of the open source community. It's a much smoother ride when MS controls all of the internals and the only way to actually make changes is through their tools.

Skatie

Feb 19, 2014
I have never enjoyed the interface of the windows devices, I felt they were too restricted in what was available for them compared to android. Im speaking from past experience so im not sure what todays devices are like but its Android all the way for me, also the support for android is widespread, i think you would be hard pressed to find more help than whats available for android.

dimsar2013

May 20, 2013
Athens
I suggest you tou an Android tablet (especially Google Nexus 7 2013 version). Android is highly customisable, has more features and is way more easier to use. The User Interface is very friendly and the tablet's performance is so smooth. You won't regret buying Nexus 7 or another Android tablet. A thing that Windows tablets doesn't have is CyanogenMod, SlimKat and the rest magical stuff. Think about it. It's up to you.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

CamachoDjr

Mar 4, 2011
They both got their perks, I would say android tablet, I own a Sony Xperia Tablet S and a galaxy note 8.0 and its does everything from reading magazines, playing games, working on word/excel/etc... Haven't touch windows since their shenanigans on windows vista

Sent from my R800x using xda app-developers app

tecnonucleo

Feb 25, 2014
Microsoft is very weak in tablet technology. There are few Metro applications comparing with the Android market. And regarding to desktop applications, they are not optimized to be used with touch screens at all. Moreover, the are not optimized for small displays neither. Even in my 10.1 netbook screen, some applications have problems to layout its windows correctly.