[Q] HTC One unlocked, tampered, S-ON and custom recovery - Can I do OTA

Search This thread

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
Hi,

I have an HTC One PN07120. It is unlocked, tampered S-ON, has custom recovery installed, and is running AT&T 4.3 JellyBean stock.
In a few days Sense 6.0 OTA update will become available for my device, so I was wondering if I can just normally run the setup and update my system or I have to relock my device or something?

PLEASE RESPOND :)

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
So if I got you right, only thing that matters is that I have stock recovery instead of custom recovery.

Well yes and no, it depend what you did with your phone, read the link I have posted above, will not write all again ;)

And how do I do that?

flash stock recovery the same way you have flashed a custom one

Code:
fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img

you need the recovery that match your present firmware #

iElvis

May 24, 2012
Modville
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi,

I have an HTC One PN07120. It is unlocked, tampered S-ON, has custom recovery installed, and is running AT&T 4.3 JellyBean stock.
In a few days Sense 6.0 OTA update will become available for my device, so I was wondering if I can just normally run the setup and update my system or I have to relock my device or something?

You should be fully stock, including recovery, before taking an OTA, except that you can (and should) stay s-off and unlocked. You may not even get the OTA otherwise.

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
So I think I have found the stock recovery needed for my device. Now there is a small problem, I have 2 stock recovery files for my device and I do not know wich one to choose because when I typed "fastboot getvar all" I didn't find any information at "version main", just blank space. How should I know wich one to pick?

Last edited:

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
You should be fully stock, including recovery, before taking an OTA, except that you can (and should) stay s-off and unlocked. You may not even get the OTA otherwise.

Well yes and no, it depend what you did with your phone, read the link I have posted above, will not write all again ;)

flash stock recovery the same way you have flashed a custom one

Code:
fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img

you need the recovery that match your present firmware #

So I think I have found the stock recovery needed for my device. Now there is a small problem, I have 2 stock recovery files for my device and I do not know wich one to choose because when I typed "fastboot getvar all" I didn't find any information at "version main", just blank space. How should I know wich one to pick?

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut

post your "fastboot getvar all" (excluding IMEI and s/n)

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
post your "fastboot getvar all" (excluding IMEI and s/n)

Here it is:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.17.3250.20
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3894mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-2da61e5e88
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Here it is:

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.17.3250.20
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001

(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-2da61e5e88
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

did you change radio?

hboot 1.55 + MID + CID would indicate you are on 3.xx.502.x version

so i guess: http://d-h.st/D8F or http://d-h.st/6bH would be a suitable recovery, but you need to have your phone's ROM 100% stock

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
did you change radio?

hboot 1.55 + MID + CID would indicate you are on 3.xx.502.x version

so i guess: http://d-h.st/D8F or http://d-h.st/6bH would be a suitable recovery, but you need to have your phone's ROM 100% stock

Well, the guy who fixed my phone from a bootloop and bricked state said he has done the s-off, found a suitable stock RUU and installed, then he put S-ON back and unlocked bootloader if I decide to do any mods in the future.

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Well, the guy who fixed my phone from a bootloop and bricked state said he has done the s-off, found a suitable stock RUU and installed, then he put S-ON back and unlocked bootloader if I decide to do any mods in the future.

1- If you are 100% stock then Settings -> About should also show your correct version number

2- you rooted the phone, so that may or may not have changed some system files, so OTA may not work

3- once S-Off stay S-Off, my personal opinion

In my humble opinion, three choices really, when it comes to "modding" or not your phone:
A) stay stock and don't mess with it to get OTAs

B) you cannot achieve S-OFF (due to newer hboots, or device problems) -> fine live with an unlocked bootloader, and accept the fact that you cannot install OTAs .... you can however "download and install later" the OTA, then pull it to your phone, and use the signed firmware.zip in it

C) you can achieve S-OFF and want to mod your phone -> then do it, get S-Off and enjoy the freedom (but don't flash things not meant for your phone!! this goes for S-On too)

Of course you're going to say that "but S-Off is dangerous", it's a double edged sword... sometimes you are able save your phone thanks to S-Off, and sometimes you can brick it completely.
But then again, you can easily brick an S-On phone too (especially one that is modded), and much more difficult to save than an S-Off phone.

^^ All that is my personal opinion, and I'm not suggesting you S-Off, but if you want to mod your phone (whether S-On or S-Off), you need to be aware of what may, or may not, go wrong, and have done some reading and research

Good Luck

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Hi,

Well, its not worth it. I wont risk bricking my phone again :)

Those are completely rhetorical highlights, so you can disregard :cyclops:

Good luck, enjoy, and let us know how the OTA update goes

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
Those are completely rhetorical highlights, so you can disregard :cyclops:

Good luck, enjoy, and let us know how the OTA update goes

I will if I eventualy decide to do it, so one last question: can I damage my phone in any way if I try flashing stock reckovery?
Thank you so much for all the information you have given me :)

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
I will if I eventualy decide to do it, so one last question: can I damage my phone in any way if I try flashing stock reckovery?
Thank you so much for all the information you have given me :)

That's a tough one... cause even if you manage to pull out the cable, at exactly the right (ie wrong) moment while flashing recovery, it wouldn't affect bootloader... and with a good bootloader (hboot, and some other variables) you should be able to revive your phone.... now mess with hboot, and that's a whole different story!!

As I said, this is my personal opinion, so maybe get some second opinions on the subject... I can only answer on what i've done, seen, experienced, fixed, not fixed, etc.

Maybe someone wiser will add his/her opinion to this :)

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
That's a tough one... cause even if you manage to pull out the cable, at exactly the right (ie wrong) moment while flashing recovery, it wouldn't affect bootloader... and with a good bootloader (hboot, and some other variables) you should be able to revive your phone.... now mess with hboot, and that's a whole different story!!

As I said, this is my personal opinion, so maybe get some second opinions on the subject... I can only answer on what i've done, seen, experienced, fixed, not fixed, etc.

Maybe someone wiser will add his/her opinion to this :)

Well, I am not planing to unplug the cable haha.. well if someone else knows please tell, the update is coming soon so I would like to know, but if its risky, there is no way I'm doing it :)

Torcidas1950

May 3, 2014
I hope you have a sense of humour, so no offense meant, but... why did the chicken cross the street :p (and was it risky?)

Wish you all the best
nkk71

So, yesterday the OTA was finally released, and today I have flashed stock recovery... Now waiting for the OTA notification to come :)

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

Aug 2, 2010
hello guys,

i did a deep search, but nothing found about it, or found but did not understood, so i will ask you. if in my stock recovery it also says (TAMPER), will be possibly to instal OTA?

L.E. - rest is like the title of the topic - Unlocked, S-ON, tampered..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts