Let people ask whatever they like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

j1ngles

Sep 23, 2007
All,

I've been a member of this forum for a few months now and am sincerely grateful for all the useful advice and help I have received. My own posting count is relatively low because I only try to help if I have something useful to say.

The one overriding post I tend to see these days is the idiot who likes bash the other users for not reading threads, doing searches etc. Now I actually have a full time job in the I.T industry, am pretty much computer savvy and enjoy tinkering with my phone when time allows. It seems to me some of the members here have far much too time on their hands and spend it endlessly trawling to give someone a mauling.

I wonder how many useful posts these people ever actually put in to the forum.

Now I agree that if you have the time to read all the relevant threads, do the searches etc you have a good chance of finding an answer. But there comes a time when some of these posts are just not feasible anymore. Dutty's rom post for 6.1 is a major epic these days and I for one don't have the time or inclination to scroll through all this especially when a whole load of it is just crap from people increasing their post count.

So my point is let people ask, especially the n00bs who probably don't realise the lambasting they're going to get. If you know the answer then reply, if you don't then shut up. That way the posts will get shorter and the idiots will get bored quicker.

j1ngles

Sep 23, 2007
Let people say whatever they like!

All,

I've been a member of this forum for a few months now and am sincerely grateful for all the useful advice and help I have received. My own posting count is relatively low because I only try to help if I have something useful to say.

The one overriding post I tend to see these days is the idiot who likes bash the other users for not reading threads, doing searches etc. Now I actually have a full time job in the I.T industry, am pretty much computer savvy and enjoy tinkering with my phone when time allows. It seems to me some of the members here have far much too time on their hands and spend it endlessly trawling to give someone a mauling.

Now I agree that if you have the time to read all the relevant threads, do the searches etc you have a good chance of finding an answer. But there comes a time when some of these posts are just not feasible anymore. Dutty's rom post for 6.1 is a major epic these days and I for one don't have the time or inclination to scroll through all this especially when a whole load of it is just crap from people increasing their post count.

So my point is let people ask, especially the n00bs who probably don't realise the lambasting they're going to get. If you know the answer then reply, if you don't then shut up. That way the posts will get shorter and the idiots will get bored quicker.

murf62

Jun 12, 2006
Well said. This is the worst forum I've ever come across for noob bashing. It's a shame because there are a lot of helpful people here.

The odd post I have had to make asking for help took me 30 mins or so of searching just to make sure it's not been covered before, for fear of getting jumped on by the resident 'net police'. :(

HEAR HEAR!!!

All,

Well put j1ngles!!! I never had this newbie bashing in the Wizard forum, which I joined almost 2 years ago.

This is the worst forum for n00b bashing this side of the whirlpool galaxy!!!

I agree 110%. If people ask "stupid" questions and someone feels obliged to assist, then by all means do so or shut up.

I have helped n00bs by providing certain cabs etc and then I have been criticised!!!

Good point here - I do believe that one of the mods has actually issued a warning against n00b bashing, so that's a step in the right direction.

Reactions: MurroFX

ghostie

Dec 19, 2005
Totally agree with you.

The search function is useful, but if you are new how are you supposed to know the exact techie term to make the search results useful?! Who knows how many budding chefs etc we are turning away becuz someone jumps on their back within 2 minutes giving them a hard time?

We're all here becuz we want to learn, and develop our devices into something different and better, so lets try to support each other and be gentle on the new guys.

huguete

Jun 1, 2007
Barcelona
Well said!

All,

I fully agree with you j1ngles!!!

Shadowdh

Jan 21, 2008
London (nearly)
You learn, search terms, how to search and even better (and something difficult for me) patience... after all if you are going to spend the money on a serious piece of equipment (even if you get it as part of a deal with a phone company you brick it you will have to pay) you better learn properly how to do whatever it is you want to do... I am about as far from computer savvy as you can get but I have learned what terms to use in a search, how to use the search and even better how to make notes on what I read and where I get up to so I can refer to a thread and pick up where I left off... I too dont have much time (especially lately) but I still take my time and read, search etc before asking the SAME question for the 2359834098345054390843986th time... on the same page...

Reactions: kevintm78

jimflp

Nov 14, 2007
Aberdeen
A good point very well made.

If you don't want to help someone out fine , just don't post a reply. Better that than to ridicule someone and put them off posting again.

ceevee369

Jan 30, 2007
Residing in Manila
I have +170 posts and still feel like a noob. if search does not give me the answer i am looking for after 5 attempts (or 30 minutes of crawling through plenty of mails) i do ask help. And i also got replies not being helpfull.

This is not about noob bashing

ghostie

Dec 19, 2005
You learn, search terms, how to search and even better (and something difficult for me) patience... after all if you are going to spend the money on a serious piece of equipment (even if you get it as part of a deal with a phone company you brick it you will have to pay) you better learn properly how to do whatever it is you want to do... I am about as far from computer savvy as you can get but I have learned what terms to use in a search, how to use the search and even better how to make notes on what I read and where I get up to so I can refer to a thread and pick up where I left off... I too dont have much time (especially lately) but I still take my time and read, search etc before asking the SAME question for the 2359834098345054390843986th time... on the same page...

I have done the same as have many people i'm sure. The question is, if someone askes something that you know the answer to (either from working it out, or reading up) do you give them the answer and point out where you got it from, or do you hold back?

We need to teach people to learn by encouragement, not by attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sachin

Confused Stu

Aug 12, 2005
Gillingham, Kent
I have done the same as have many people i'm sure. The question is, if someone askes something that you know the answer to (either from working it out, or reading up) do you give them the answer and point out where you got it from, or do you hold back?

I've always favoured giving someone the link, while telling them they could (and should) have searched for it themselves. I also agree with some flaming on obvious or very frequent questions - provided the link is there and the flaming is amusing and light-hearted.

Just my opinion. :)

Reactions: Azazello and Sachin

sabestian

Apr 1, 2006
I made a similar point a few months back. Another problem is that noobies don't always know what to search for...Because they are noobies...

ionutz6

Nov 9, 2006
Bucharest
All,

I couldnt agree more with this. I really dont see why an experienced senior member, for example, has to flame a noobie for asking a silly easy question. Either you have a few words to say and shread some light into matter, or just skip the thread, go read something else. I know some of them are ignorant, but the best treatment is to ignore questions like that. This way they will have to search for themselves, if they get no answer.
But to tell them: read wiki, search, use google is simply too useless, will not help anybody.

Reactions: Azazello

grandpareza

Jan 5, 2008
I understand both sides, but you have to see that once you see a trillion questions asking the same thing, then you get a little frustrated.

I dont think XDA is a service. XDA is a community where people have to do their part, and if you dont do your part, then your not contributing to the community. And yes, searching is contribution. You are gorging yourself in PDA knoweldge and then could help someone else.

However, if you feel that people here at XDA are here to help you becuase this is their job, then your wrong. I'm not saying you, or anyone else does feel this way, but my point is that XDA is not a service, its a community.

I've found the dutty thread to be useless now because of so many questions asking the same thing. There is an onslaught of many questions that were already answered and its hard to find the specific problem your having. I still LOOK, and I still search...and I find the answer.

Though I do agree, being a ***** never did anything for anyone. So the best anyone can do is point them in the right direction until they get it themselves.

Reactions: Azazello

vasil

Dec 6, 2005
London
www.inkino.co.uk
If everyone post any question they want to ask without searching, we'll probably end up having 25k pages in every thread. The whole point of searching is to keep forums tidy, so that information can be found faster.
Have you ever tried to find some specific thingsin big DUMP??? (Not a rom dump:))

axonn

Mar 4, 2008
Stockholm
Very True

I agree with the starter of the topic. So you say using search keeps the Forum tidy. I don't agree. The Forum is already full of huge topics and nobody has to have the patience to go through them. HOWEVER, I personally SEARCHED A LOT for some stuff and I usually FOUND what I was looking for. So I admit that it's ok to search! ::- ). But a bit more tolerance for those who don't have this time would be great.

Maybe I just bought a phone and I'm uber-enthusiastic about it and don't want to search 2 days for something. Common, a bit of understanding never killed anybody ::- ). And if there are a lot of topics about a certain problem, they'll show up faster in search, so it's ok. Common, a bit more text never killed a database.

Last edited:

Gustopher

This is a fair point and I would agree - generally speaking a policy of ignore it and move on is best.

However, I have seen instances of people who ought to know better blundering into a thread and asking a question to which they would get an answer if they could just be bothered to look a handful of posts further up.

Not all newcomers are sweet innocents and not all stupid questions are asked by newcomers.

My personal annoyance list is topped by those that ask a tough or poorly defined question and then start stamping their tiny feet if they don't get an answer back within seconds of posting - some people here seem to think this is a formal support forum for 'XDA products', (whatever those might be) and so start *****ing about bugs, lack of response, etc.

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
Did you ever stop to think that all the people with your point of view are the reason for the search function not being as productive as other sites? When someone doesn't search and just creates another redundant thread, they are directly responsible for polluting the search results.

As I have said before, I will no longer be bashing n00bs who fail to search before posting. Instead, I will transpose their question into Google, and reply back with a link to the search result they need to read. There is one exception to this; people who create 2 or more new threads (within 24 hours) asking the exact same question. That is just rude.

Reactions: Sachin and rskyline
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think what a lot of people forget is that this is not a "make my phone neat & kewl" place.

As implied by the name this is technically a Developers forum/community.

Now what does that mean? Well first off it means that there is an expectation that if you are here then you want to customize your device but rather than just installing something that someone packaged you want to understand how it works and maybe even enhance it yourself.

When I first came here with a Blue Angel it was a different environment. PDA Phones were not embraced by the general public because of the expense and complexity (I paid over $400 for my BA). A $400 phone 4 years ago was expensive, today the Tilt is $300 after rebates but with inflation & the rise in the cost of other devices and the fact that there are other sources out there giving them away for $150 our neat bit of kit has become popular with mainstream users.

Now we have a flood of new users who are asking not "How can I do this myself" but more like "Give me the quick fix" without caring to understand the process. See if you read the threads then you get to experience the learning process, you see how the issues were investigated and confirmed. Then you get to watch the different attempts at resolution and learn why some failed while others worked. That is called Development.

The NooB backlash is coming from users who have walked in the development shoes and is directed mainly at those who don't care for the journey but just want the end result or destination.

As a Development Forum we are just as much (if not more) about the journey. I've read so many comments like "I don't have time to read all of the threads" or "I don't care how it works, just that it does". These very statements are contrary to the heart & soul of XDA-Devs and that is why the backlash is so strong.

Let me be very clear on this: IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

XDA-Devs is about developers & hackers helping each other and working together to get the most out of our devices by understanding them better than most.

XDA-Devs is not about helping everyone who wants a "Kewl bit of kit" make their phone better than the guy next to him.

Now do we go kicking users off who never contribute anything, NO. We tolerate it to an extent. Where the toleration ends is when these users start diluting the usefulness of the forum by repeating the same questions over and over again.

You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
    All,

Forum members, report redundent & unnecessary threads.

Don't go on a spree bashing the OP.

The thread will automagically be closed and then disappear was it rapidly stales with no new replies.

NooBs, you are welcome here but understand that this is a "DEVELOPMENT FORUM" and as such you are expected to do a little work for your "Kewl bit of Kit". If you post a new thread 5 seconds after signing-up and it is closed within minutes don't post 10 more threads asking the same question or you will be labeled as a Serial Threader (which is a bannable offense).

All of the experienced members here will give you a "Hand Up" but rarely will you get a "Hand-Out" without gettting a good lashing from that same hand.

I think all that can be said here has been said so this thread will be closed.
    Very well put Kyphur. It gets very aggravating.
    You're just dead wrong. This isn't a tech support site. This isn't AT&T's support site. This isn't a PPC beginner's site. This is a developer's site.

My Tilt is my first PPC. I came on here with an attitude of respect because so many were providing so many resources and asking for so little in return. I started out with an attitude similar to yours....help whenever possible. As such, I freaking read. I didn't HardSPL or flash a new ROM until I'd had my Tilt for over a month - because I wasn't ready and I didn't expect anyone to spoon feed me. Some of the noobs on here have run into trouble because they want to flash a ROM the second their new unit is charged for the first time. No delayed gratification - feel bad for their significant others...bet they're all premature ejaculators.

I've gone from knowing literally nothing to cooking my own personal ROMs just by searching and reading on this site. I've answered 20 times more questions than I've asked and I've never bashed a noob because I am one. However, even I am sick of seeing that same freaking questions asked constantly. I get that the Tilt has proliferated and people don't know a lot, but show some respect for people that have been here forever - follow the rules, learn the customs. I'm an American, but it's just like an American to expect the locals to fit your customs rather than the other way around. Perhaps we'd have a video driver if all the experts didn't have to spend their days answering the dumbest freaking questions on the face of the earth...What's the difference between the "E" and the "H" in my top bar? What's the best ROM out there? I lost my sound when I flashed the first hour after I got the thing and haven't read a single thread (PLEASE HELP!!). How about reading the manual? How about reading through the titles of one page of threads? Do you think there would be so many ROMs if there was one that was everything to everybody? I get that some of the threads have become unwieldly - but why do you think that is?

I'm a believer that this place should get far more restrictive about who should be able to post. Give every new member a quiz asking the most basic questions that can be found in 5 seconds. If you don't pass, you can't post. Start a newbie area where people like yourself (and me when I feel like it) can spend their time answering questions so the real developers can do work that benefits us all. That won't happen because the long-standing members are too patient and generous for their own goods. We should all be grateful. Part of that gratefulness is showing some respect and being an adult and finding your own answers to your own stupid questions whenever possible.

BTW - As for time. I own and run my own company. I have a live in girlfriend and a very active life. I have made time to figure these things out without losing anything else in my life. If you don't have time to read and learn, you shouldn't be messing with flashing and such. Get an iPhone. Your time is no more important than anyone else's here.