[ROM][RETIRED] Kang-o-rama | Thanks for all your support! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Lumsdoni

Nov 20, 2007
Hitchin, UK
Loving this rom, has eliminated all the FC's I was getting with CM6 rc1.

However I think I did something wrong with apps2ext as I always get default icon after a reboot.

All apps are working from SD, and widgets were working once I moved them back onto the phone but the icons dissappearing is a little annoying or is this a necessary evil?

How do I check that apps are going to ext nd not just to the SD Fat32?

Thank you very much

Travladin

Jul 10, 2009
Redford, MI
After installing service pack 2

Well i was just looking through this forum trying to figure out some things. I noticed after installing SP2 my phone my phone lost the CM settings.. Second My froyo build number changed from FRF91 to FRF85 <--- After SP2..

Last i browse to the area were the service packs are located and they're no longer available for download.. looks like I'll just continue to use what works for me 1.0b1:rolleyes::confused:

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Well i was just looking through this forum trying to figure out some things. I noticed after installing SP2 my phone my phone lost the CM settings.. Second My froyo build number changed from FRF91 to FRF85 <--- After SP2..

Last i browse to the area were the service packs are located and they're no longer available for download.. looks like I'll just continue to use what works for me 1.0b1:rolleyes::confused:

:confused:

SP1 is available here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7317015&postcount=3204

If something reports FRF85 then there is a problem installing the rom.

I would happily look at a recovery log for you... for this to be useful you need to wipe everything in recovery (including sd-ext if you have one) and install the rom. Then before you reboot copy the recovery.log to SD card (option in recovery menu) then post the log here... this will help me understand what's going wrong. Install SP1 at the same time... before you move the recovery.log to SD.

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
Kang-o-rama 1.0 b2 SP1 Released - CM6RC3 / 720p / Apps2ext / Advanced Installer

Kang-o-rama 1.0 beta 2 w/SP1

Based on CyanogenMod 6 RC3 by teamdouche
With 720p Video Recording by charnsingh_online et al.
Powered by Darktremor apps2ext by tkirton

After quite a few changed under the hood I'm happy to release the next beta of Kang-o-rama 1.0. This new beta is based on CyanogenMod 6 RC3 full changelog [here]) and includes 720p video recently released by charnsingh_online as well as the latest version of Darktremor app2ext by tkirton and a custom version of ADW.Launcher 1.1.3.

This release of Kang-o-rama includes a new advanced installer that allows you to pre-configure and customise your installation. This works by reading flags you set in a file on your sdcard before you install Kang-o-rama 1.0 beta 2. See the details below.

The usual suspects are included in this release of Kang-o-rama although I've trimmed some of the fat. The latest Google Apps is included in Kang-o-rama as per usual. AdFree is now included in the rom as one or two of the other apps have ads. It's not turned on by default. A great new app called OSMonitor is also included, you can use this to monitor and tune your system, including overclocking.

I'm going to overhaul the first post in this thread but that takes ages so for the time being you'll have to do with this simple post. And you might want to check out this post too, it will give you an overview of Kang-o-rama 1.0 - don't download from that page though!

Trackball Succession
I have removed this patch from the rom as it has a bug that hijacks notifications and does not automatically dismiss them. It's simply too annoying.​

Advanced Install
If you create a text file called install.cfg in /sdcard/android/kangorama/ (i.e. the /android/kangorama/ directory on the root of your sdcard - you may need to create it) it will be checked during install for the following flags.

Simply type any combination of these flags, each flag on a new line, into the install.cfg file and save it.

noapps - do not install additional Kang-o-rama apps, limit Google apps to basics (see this helpful post by fiftyclick).

launcher2 - will replace ADW.Launcher with Google Launcher2

stockfonts - will replace the Kang-o-rama fonts with the stock Nexus fonts

stockwidgets - will replace the transparent widgets with the opaque CyanogenMod 6 widgets.

stockdialer - will replace the phone and contacts mod with the stock apps

nocar - will not install the Car Dock applications

sysapps - will install any apks you leave in /sdcard/android/kangorama/system/ to the /system partition

Please be careful with the last one as it will indiscriminately replace any duplicate files in /system/app - potentially overwriting a stock app. This feature is useful if you want to install apps to the secure partition each time you install Kang-o-rama (e.g. WaveSecure)​

Installing
Well, I don't think you actually have to wipe /data now although it needs to be widely tested before I can claim this too loudly. In my testing I've had success without wiping /data. Run fix_permissions if you have problems.

If you have apps on /sdext you don't need to wipe that either. Although you will need to run startapps2ext again when you first boot, reboot fully and then run fix_permissions.

This should apply from most roms although I can't make assurances.

Please wipe cache and dalvik-cache regardless.

And remember, your best chance of a trouble-free experience is to wipe everything before you begin.​

Apps2ext
To start apps2ext run startapps2ext as su from a terminal window on your phone and then reboot. The rest will happen automatically. Please make sure you have partitioned your ext partition first (no swap necessary).

If you already had apps on your sd-ext partition you will need to run fix_permissions after your reboot and then reboot again.​

Known Issues
  • Most, if not all of the known issues for CM6 RC3 (including that Google Goggles does not work) - please review that thread
  • If you get stuck on the static X at boot, reboot to recovery and wipe cache, then reboot from recovery and all should be good. This does not happen frequently or regularly but it does happen occasionally.
  • The default clock colour and dBm display is black. I don't know what's going on here... I suspect some duplicate code in CM6 RC2 because I've changed it to white in two places now to no effect. You can manually change it in CyanogenMod Parts.

Download
Kang-o-rama 1.0 beta 2 w/Service Pack 1(CM6 RC3)

Download: Kang-o-rama-1.0-b2-SP1.zip (122MB)
MD5 Hash: 273b484105aa4184c55b568b1347d695

If you're looking for the Service Pack by itself click here.

Remember
  • Enjoy!
  • Please provide feedback.

Last edited:

THATTON

Aug 27, 2007
Bakersfield
Very nice djmcnz! I am looking forward to checking this out asap. I am addicted to flashing the nightly's now but I will see how long this can alleviate the addiction. ;)

fiftyclick

Sep 23, 2007
Toronto
noapps - do not install Kang-o-rama apps, limit Google apps to basics.

Which apps exactly are Kang-o-rama apps, or rather which apps does this line prevent from being installed? For example, are the spare parts app and the custom dialer/contacts still included even if the noapps setting is specified?

Looking forward to this great release!!

MrCDWJR

Feb 14, 2010
San Diego
if i decided to flash a different kernel (wild monks for example) would it stop the camera from working or have any effect on the camera on this latest release?

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
Advanced Install
If you create a text file called install.cfg in /sdcard/android/kangorama/ (i.e. the /android/kangorama/ directory on the root of your sdcard - you may need to create it) it will be checked during install for the following flags.

I'm assuming that the Linux-based Android OS will discriminate between "/sdcard/Android/" and "/scard/android/". I have the first on my SD card, but cannot create the second under Windows (due to a case-insensitivity naming conflict). If you'll confirm the target directory is lowercase, I can create that directory and the required files via Android or Ubuntu.... or I can just throw 'em in /sdcard/Android and see if it works.

Thanks for another release, btw - looking forward to trying it out!​

djmcnz

Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 8
I'm assuming that the Linux-based Android OS will discriminate between "/sdcard/Android/" and "/scard/android/". I have the first on my SD card, but cannot create the second under Windows (due to a case-insensitivity naming conflict). If you'll confirm the target directory is lowercase, I can create that directory and the required files via Android or Ubuntu.... or I can just throw 'em in /sdcard/Android and see if it works.

Thanks for another release, btw - looking forward to trying it out!

No conflicts at my end... although independent verification would be good... I tested both cases, both works. Although I do nothing to check for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kang-o-rama 1.2 beta 1 Released! CM7RC1+7/Gingerbread

Kang-o-rama 1.2 beta 1
    Hi everyone, here's the latest release of Kang-o-rama based on CyanogenMod 7 RC1+7. It's based on a GRH78C ASOP build.

See Screenshots in the First Post

This is a pretty stable build although you might expect to find one or two little problems because it is still in testing. If you do find problems be sure to come back here for help!

Changes
    Changes since the last release of Kang-o-rama 1.2 (here).
    • CyanogenMod 7 RC1+7 (RC1+7 incremental nightly builds)
    • DarkTremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.3 b4 (supports data2ext)
    • Upgraded Google apps on /system partition
    • Added base support for ROM Updater (no updates yet)
    • Cleaned up /system partition (~18MB free)
    • Added some additional boot animations (only if you have an ext partition)
    • Stock kernel for the time being, update to any CM7 kernel you prefer
    • Minor fixes and tweaks

Installation
    You MUST wipe /data and /cache if you are upgrading from Froyo (or earlier)
    You DO NOT need to wipe /data if you are upgrading from Gingerbread
    1. Download ROM and Update from the links below
    2. Nandroid backup first!
    3. Wipe as directed above
    4. Flash ROM zip file from Recovery
    5. Flash Update zip file from Recovery
    6. Reboot

Important Notes
    • The phone may automatically reboot a few times (typically before the animation) at first boot. This is the expected behavior of the new version of apps2sd.
    • A small UI bug has been discovered, see here.
    • A few additional comments and release notes here.

Download
    Enjoy & Please Hit 'Thanks'!
    Kang-o-rama 1.2 Final Released

Kang-o-rama 1.2 Final Released
    For those watching this thread the download link for Kang-o-rama 1.2 Final is available below! I will update the main page and thread title when I have some time but the version below is the stable release.

KoR1201.png
    KoR1202.png
    KoR1203.png

Release Notes
    Very little has changed since RC4 except under-the-hood stuff but it's all important.
    • Based on CyanogenMod 7 Final (upgrade to CM 7.0.2.1 with SP1 below)
    • Using stock CM7 kernel - pershoot kernel is not quite stable enough based on feedback and you all have different preferences.
    • Dewonkifier removed - based on feedback - some wonk is still present see these links here (Google Issues and CyanogenMod Forums)
    • More space freed up on /system partition (~13MB)
    • Toggle widgets moved to the top of notification shade to support themes and bottom status bar.
    • SD Card cache size set to 2048 Kb.
    I've been using it for a few days now and I really like it, seems fast and stable and I've had no wonk or related issues.

Advanced Installer
    Please read the following, it is very important for a great experience!

Kang-o-rama comes with an Advanced Installer designed to give you give you the most flexible and confident installation experience. The Advanced Installer allows you to customise your installation, checks for already existing apps and tries to prevent the most common problems people experience when they upgrade their rom. The Advanced Installer is designed to work when upgrading from any Gingerbread ROM.

Please click here to real all about Advanced Installer
    Kang-o-rama 1.2 Final
    • Install from recovery after making a nandroid backup
    • Only wipe caches if you're coming from Kang-o-rama 1.2 (x)
    • You MUST wipe data if coming from any Froyo ROM
    • Your phone may reboot automatically a few times at first boot
    • Download: Kang-o-rama-1.2-Final.zip (140MB)
    • MD5 Hash: f1c3e1476b9d262a5434c4f24b12d6c2
    • And be sure to get Service Pack 1 from this post (upgrade to CM 7.0.2.1)

All feedback appreciated! Enjoy... :D
    Kang-o-rama 1.2 Beta 2 Released (CM7 RC2/29)

For all those wondering I haven't forgotten you! :D

Here is Beta 2 of Kang-o-rama 1.2 based on CM7 RC2 with merges up to nightly 29 (22/03). This is getting pretty stable now and feature full, please continue to report any bugs so I can iron out before we shortly go to a stable build.

MainPost01.jpg
    MainPost05.png
    MainPost03.jpg

Changes
    Since previous version.
    • Lots of changes in the CM back end, explore
    • Much more day to day stability with far fewer glitches.
    • Added GUI for Apps2SD (Thanks elgubbo - thread here)
    • Fixed battery percent display using different icons
    Installation
    You MUST wipe /data and /cache if you are upgrading from Froyo (or earlier)
    You DO NOT need to wipe /data if you are upgrading from Gingerbread
    1. Download ROM from the link below
    2. Nandroid backup first!
    3. Wipe as directed above
    4. Flash zip file from Recovery
    5. Reboot
    Important Notes
    • Prepare your ext partition before installing Kang-o-rama and apps2ext and random boot animations will automatically be set up for you.
    • The phone may automatically reboot a few times (typically before the animation) at first boot. This is the expected behavior of the new version of apps2sd.
    Download
    Enjoy & Please Hit 'Thanks'!
    Kang-o-rama 1.2 Alpha 1 - Gingerbread/CM7 Nightly #33

Okay, here's Alpha 1 of Kang-o-rama 1.2 for you all to have some fun with. It's based on CM Nightly 33 and includes the stock (experimental) kernel.

The significant difference between this and the previous test release is that this is a new build from the ground up whereas the test release was a simple port of Kang-o-rama 1.1. Whilst this is a more refined build it's still an 'alpha' because the CM code base is totally unstable still (to be expected). In fact, it's so unstable that I won't be releasing too many of these based on Nightly releases, it's just too much effort.

The new DT is not stable enough for me to include yet. Beg codesplice (;)) if you want to know how to move /data/data/* manually. The stable release of DT Apps2SD is included of course.

Major Changes
    • Based on CM7 Nightly r.33
    • Main Framework and System UI graphics replaced/updated (e.g. fixed notification shade fonts/colours, status icons sort-of sorted)
    • Redundant/broken apps and LWP's removed, some LWP's added
    • Stock CM boot animation included if you use the 'bootanimation' flag

Installation
      1. Nandroid backup first!
        [*]You MUST do a COMPLETE wipe unless you're already using Kang-o-rama 1.2
      2. Flash zip file from Recovery
      3. Wipe caches if you're coming from a previous version of Kang-o-rama 1.2
      DownloadEnjoy & Hit 'Thanks'!
    Kang-o-rama 1.2 Beta 3 Released | CM7RC4+

So, here you go guys, Beta 3 of Kang-o-rama 1.2.

From my perspective it's about as stable as I can make it so I've added in a new kernel for you all to play with. CM7 still has some wonk but again, it's less that it was before. I can't claim this combination will work for you and I recommend you keep an eye on the new Pershoot thread in case he releases any updates that might benefit you.

Changes
    • Updated to CM7RC4+ (merged changed up to nightly 33)
    • Added Pershoot 2.6.38.2 OC/UV Kernel
    • Added Dewonkifier
    • Fixed some minor bugs
    Important
    This version of Kang-o-rama includes an early release of the new Pershoot kernel. This kernel has not undergone extensive testing. If you are uncomfortable with this then please flash your CM7 kernel of choice after flashing the ROM.
    Install
    As per usual, if you're using a Gingerbread ROM you should be able to update without a wipe, if you're coming from Froyo you'll need to wipe I'm afraid.
    1. Download ROM
    2. Make Nandroid backup
    3. Wipe if necessary
    4. Flash ROM from SDCard
    5. Reboot and Enjoy!
    6. Hit 'Thanks' below
    Notes
    • Apps2ext is enabled automatically if you have an EXT partition. In this case your phone may reboot a few times after installing the ROM. This will happen early in the boot process and is nothing to worry about.
    • There is only about 5MB left on /system after installing the ROM, please keep this in mind. I am working on trimming this back.
    Get It Here
    Please remember this is still beta software... :)
    Download: Kang-o-rama-1.2-b3.zip (140MB)
    MD5 Hash: b702d01062a9305b760673ffa55a818b
    Please report any problems.