Community Engagement

Search This thread

scifitrekkie

Aug 26, 2010
Area 51
One thing amazes me, is how fast Moderators act to close threads because someone says he "kanged me"..

In New Zealand we have a law "innocent until proven guilty" (probably applies to numerous other countries as well).

Should threads not remain open to the "Community" until this is either proven or disproved one way or the other!!!!

Hang in there CoreDroid :D

Russ741

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 26, 2006
Annapolis, MD
www.rcc-llc.com
One thing amazes me, is how fast Moderators act to close threads because someone says he "kanged me"..

In New Zealand we have a law "innocent until proven guilty" (probably applies to numerous other countries as well).

Should threads not remain open to the "Community" until this is either proven or disproved one way or the other!!!!

Hang in there CoreDroid :D

XDA follows the same dogma and just as the police in NZ, UK, USA or any other rational nation would do, if you were accused of committing crimes you would be locked up (closed)until the authorities sorted it out.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Excellent points Russ, I agree with all, but the last one could be expanded more accurately by replacing "XDA" with "Internet". This is going on everywhere. No respect, no common decency, no manners. People feel free to say things they would NEVER say to someones face.

You are of course correct, except I have no personal connection to the internet. What people say to each other there is only a sad reflection of where our civilization is going. I have a personal vested interest in XDA, part of what XDA is are the rules I wrote so when I see out of control self empowered teens taking advantage of XDA I am personally offended. What people say or do on the rest of the internet is what it is.

Last edited:

DanteGR

Dec 14, 2010
Thessaloniki
www.facebook.com
OnePlus 11
Russ said it better than anyone I believe.
Well the thing is this.
Permission to use another dev's work should always be asked. Period.
But does that mean that u cannot develop the work that u have borrowed from another dev?
Is there a contract or a law somewhere that states "you can use another dev's work by getting permission first but you cannot develop on it"?
This is what real development is imho.
To put it in the specific situation now.
Sergio asked Jan's permission and included the tweaks in the CD rom. Then he developped the tweaks and (maybe?) made a better tweaks mod.
Now Jan could develop from there and make even better tweaks and so forth.
I understand and fully respect that Jan was the first one making the tweaks. I had praised him in the past and of course rated his thread with 5* (btw what is this obssession with rating i cannot understand but still..)
What is beyond me is the fact that no-one can build on the tweaks to make them better other than Jan.
I love Jan's work and I love Sergio's work and Lee's and Mike's and every single dev's here. After all they do this in their free time with no great benefit for them. Just the love of the users here. And they ALL deserve it.
First time I came on these forums about 18 months ago the thing that stood out to me most was the great sharing going on. And to tell u the truth right now I am dumbfounded about this whole situation.
Come on people the purpose here is sharing, sharing and more sharing (with credit given to everyone involved ofcourse)!
And that's what is all about!
Sharing with the man next to you :)
Just my 2c :)

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
I think that the issue arises from what constitutes unfair advantage taken of another's work, passed off as your own.

I'm not saying that any work put up on XDA is fair game for anyone to take, re-badge, and then pass off as his or her own work. Far from it. Respect should be given to the hard work put in by the original author, and permission should always be sought and appropriate credit given if that is what is to happen.

But if there is only one way source code can be modified to carry out certain commands or changes, then can a developer who first wrote those changes, claim sole ownership of those command lines?

If a developer asks permission to use someone else's work, and permission is denied, fair enough. That developer has then to carry the work out himself. To put the time and the effort in to code his own version, instead of getting a free ride from another developer's hard work by employing the crtl+C & ctrl+V approach.

If that is then done, what if the original author goes to the moderators and says, "Look, his changes to the source code match mine here and here!"

Well of course they will.

And without proper appreciation of the abilities of the accused, it could easily be presented as a Kang. That does not, in my opinion, necessarily constitute one.

This is where judgement needs to be taken using Moderation. Hence moderators are sometimes required to step in. Moderation for me would mean not just comparing changes, but assessing if the accused has the ability to have made those himself. Was there another way to have made them? To what degree can one person claim sole ownership to an idea? Where do XDA draw the line that best respects both the hard work of the developers as individuals, and the benefit of the community as a whole.

If a developer does the work himself, then perhaps credit should be given to the original author for the 'inspiration' or 'original concept' maybe. But not be accused of plagiarism. Then as long as that stays on XDA where that inspiration was taken from, so everyone can benefit from it, then isn't that in the best interests of this community?

After reading the entire thread, this was exactly what was on my mind, couldn't have said it better myself. Take this thread for example - http://bit.ly/KkFyFc (quote from the OP) -
Share and Share a like!
  • Please feel free to distribute these in your ROMS or further modify them to you liking!
  • If you add battery icons and other cool stuff share it with everyone!
  • These are for everyone and no need to ask me permission to use them!

When was the last time you read something like this on XDA? In the one year i spent here, I haven't. scrosler said he thinks that if you don't want people to use your work, why share it on the internet?

Granted, it isn't possible to make all the stuff on XDA free to copy by anyone who wants to do so, mostly because of the fact that many people would just make minor changes to some files, and advertise it as their own. In this case, the users can't differentiate between the two ROMs, and may end up with the copied version.

Another case is that a dev actually makes good use of others' work. He, may theme every single aspect of the ROM, change the green color in Sense to blue, and end up with a completely different version. This ROM for example is based off capychimp's RcMix 4.0, which is clear from the thread title. The original dev wouldn't mind something like this, and it would benefit the end users by providing them choice. Those who like blue can use the themed ROM, and those who don't, can use the stock version. Shouldn't such work be promoted??

Instead, we see stuff like what happened last week, the CoreDroid thread was closed, and Sergio's well-deserved title RD was taken away, and for what, because something they made was similar to that made by someone else. It would be justified to take action against someone who blatantly copied one's work, disregarding all the rules, but doing this just because they "stole someone's ideas"?

Last edited:

benjamin.j.goodwin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 28, 2011
Northampton
Google Pixel 4 XL
I think a point we have briefly mentioned but not completely acknowledged is XDA itself and how it's used.

XDA wasn't always the biggest site for development and probably won't always be, but I think it is quite clear hopefully we can all agree that it is at the moment. So how? Well other than the growing popularity alone XDA has had to change and adapt to users 'wants' and 'needs'. Whether we like it or not, the general populous is sold to 24/7 from the moment they open their eyes and all forms of society feel now that you need to 'sell' whatever for it to be accepted. Have a troll through some forums and that's exactly what is happening here and I think it is merely a react to a 'demand' seen from the new 'generation'. Thread titles act as a small platform to engage the user to your thread; shouldn't it just tell you what's in the thread as title should - Does it really need to state it's the fast, best, most improved, best etc. Do you really know that for every user it is anyway? Then go to the threads themselves, many users demand extra 'wanting', 'needing' many different things not understanding this is a community to share the work you do outside your own life. (I do understand that this isn't every user but this number is growing).

When I first used this site I remember feeling frustrated at times if the said base I was using had bugs and/or wasn't updated to quash these but I didn't go and flame, scream about it I either choose another where the individual had more time, lived with the bug(s) OR I found a way to fix it myself. But I always understood and appreciated that this is no ones job and they should not be constrained in to feeling that they need to 'keep up with demand' and sell their work. You are just sharing what you enjoy to have on your own handset.

There is one rule that is being regularly dismissed these days and that's comparing developers work on their various threads, disrespecting the work they do. We need XDA to quash and hammer these things down (yes I know it's hard) so those of us that develop and/or have titles continue to set the right example.

XDA needs to give us the right guidelines but we have to provide the right attitude. We need a message sent clear of what this site is about and that will take XDA and the higher members to set the example so the newer members follow. :)

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
I couldn't agree more with the majority of what has been said in this thread. At the end of the day, if no dev was ever to have shared the work they had done, we would have none of the hacks and mods we have today. All these great roms, phone tweaks etc etc, wouldn't be around if something hadn't been shared originally, because then others couldn't have added their bits to it and so on.
Granted, I can understand why devs would want to be credited for the work they originally put into it, but the way I see it, there's absolutely no reason why they should be saying people can't use their work.
XDA will just continue to go downhill if this kind of attitude carries on and that is the last thing any of us want to happen

Sent from Sony Xperia S using XDA Premium
Join my threads here and here

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
It's great to see a few Devs saying Share.

Today there is a need for more clear cut rules for developers, any Dev (with RD title or not) who refuses to share his source code (n he did not write it from scratch) should be charged with felony.

The problem today is xda is filled with teens.

I envy those few when they say "I miss the old XDA", what did i do to not deserve it?
Sharing and Respect. I'm all for it.

J

j4n87

Well, let me post something here as well.

Regarding sharing of my tweaks stuff:

Before I started to create our team and provide my own rom theres was an Tweaks app developed by my called leedroid tweaks.
This one I provided for public use and all devs that asked got the permission to use if after oe week of the official release to ensure that I got some activity in my thread and themers/devs dont include one hour later in all their roms and my thread don't get the deserved attention.

This tweaks app was developed my ME on the base of romanbbs desire hd tweaks...but well, besides the miui battery bar/battery tweaks all smali stuff needed to be rewritten by me..but well I dont claim them mine though.
I spent weeks and month to develop those stuff for several devices - Htc Evo 3D Cdma/gsm, htc sensation, Htc rezound, htc vivid, htc flyer, tc evo view 4g..without even having the device. My motivation? Sharing my stuff and contribute something xda.
Lots of devs included those tweaks and I granted for then 30-40 devs to include them...even most zip modders.

Since I got my own rom I discontinued my leedroid tweaks project, because it would be too time consuming to support them as well...my private life/freetime sucks already just with supporting the rom properly.

If you wanna have your own tweaks app...use my old leedroid tweaks as base and not the current from our roms...
And if you are able to implement stuff yourself then do it, if not..then dont just kang it by ctrl+c and ctrl+v.
FYI: ...still permissions required to use it and credits needs still to be given.

Your rom should present your skills and work you are able to do and not a ****load of copy paste stuff which you can find in the forums.

And tbh I couldnt be proud of my rom when I just using work of others in my roms...and this also has nothing to do with developing.

Keep in mind that we are on xda-developers and proper development should be supported and not 100 x 1:1 copys of the work of others. The proper developers make your experience of the device different and you should respect their work and not stamp with your feet on it...and risk that the developer even considers to leave xda.

You also dont want, that someone takes your rom, changes some build.prop entrys and release it under under a different name maybe weven without giving credits..you would go insane too if that would gonna happen I bet.
We all spending lots of our freetime and passion in our work and none of them deserves it to be offended by kanging their work.
It's just disrespectful...

MadCobbler

Inactive Recognized Contributor / Themer
Jun 27, 2009
Sheffield
Well, let me post something here as well.

Regarding sharing of my tweaks stuff:

Before I started to create our team and provide my own rom theres was an Tweaks app developed by my called leedroid tweaks.
This one I provided for public use and all devs that asked got the permission to use if after oe week of the official release to ensure that I got some activity in my thread and themers/devs dont include one hour later in all their roms and my thread don't get the deserved attention.

This tweaks app was developed my ME on the base of romanbbs desire hd tweaks...but well, besides the miui battery bar/battery tweaks all smali stuff needed to be rewritten by me..but well I dont claim them mine though.
I spent weeks and month to develop those stuff for several devices - Htc Evo 3D Cdma/gsm, htc sensation, Htc rezound, htc vivid, htc flyer, tc evo view 4g..without even having the device. My motivation? Sharing my stuff and contribute something xda.
Lots of devs included those tweaks and I granted for then 30-40 devs to include them...even most zip modders.

Since I got my own rom I discontinued my leedroid tweaks project, because it would be too time consuming to support them as well...my private life/freetime sucks already just with supporting the rom properly.

If you wanna have your own tweaks app...use my old leedroid tweaks as base and not the current from our roms...
And if you are able to implement stuff yourself then do it, if not..then dont just kang it by ctrl+c and ctrl+v.
FYI: ...still permissions required to use it and credits needs still to be given.

Your rom should present your skills and work you are able to do and not a ****load of copy paste stuff which you can find in the forums.

And tbh I couldnt be proud of my rom when I just using work of others in my roms...and this also has nothing to do with developing.

Keep in mind that we are on xda-developers and proper development should be supported and not 100 x 1:1 copys of the work of others. The proper developers make your experience of the device different and you should respect their work and not stamp with your feet on it...and risk that the developer even considers to leave xda.

You also dont want, that someone takes your rom, changes some build.prop entrys and release it under under a different name maybe weven without giving credits..you would go insane too if that would gonna happen I bet.
We all spending lots of our freetime and passion in our work and none of them deserves it to be offended by kanging their work.
It's just disrespectful...

I totally agree, a dev/rom maker should always give credit where credit is due.... but Russ also made the best point... if there is only one way to do something, eventually loads of people are gonna end up at the same point, using the 'same code/smali edits' to get to what they want done, this doesn't mean they copied your work, it just means they they ended up with the same conclusion as you, 'that is the only way to get it done'

At the end of the day its all very confusing territory, there is no distinct black and white just lots of grey areas and there are some people that use the grey areas to their advantage...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

J

j4n87

I totally agree, a dev/rom maker should always give credit where credit is due.... but Russ also made the best point... if there is only one way to do something, eventually loads of people are gonna end up at the same point, using the 'same code/smali edits' to get to what they want done, this doesn't mean they copied your work, it just means they they ended up with the same conclusion as you, 'that is the only way to get it done'

At the end of the day its all very confusing territory, there is no distinct black and white just lots of grey areas and there are some people that use the grey areas to their advantage...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Well, let me explain something about programming/smali:

If you got an idea, you can implement it in 99% in several different ways...if you cant it just shows that you are not able/have the knowledge to write it yourself. And when you dont have it, you cant help youself out by just kanging it.

Take a look at romansbb code and mine...most of them is implemented by me in another way..the smali doesnt look similar in any way.

Indeed there are some minor things in smali that cant be really implemented different. Let me give you an example:

enabling landscape mode in rosie:

the feature is already given by htc and just deacivated ba a build flag.
you can bypass that buildflag by simply hardcode it by returning
const/4 vNumber, 0x1 before the return statment.

If you want to toggle it you have to write a bit more code..but still theres not much space left to write it much different...but there would be still space to to it.
Theres really no point to claim such simple code by a dev..and I dont do it.

But when m0narx or I implement stuff like hiding icons in rosie, choosing a background color/transparency or a backgroundimage for appdrawer/notification pulldown or adding longpres actions to some capacitive keys + remapping on the fly there are hundreds of possibilties to implement it in another way...and this didnt happen in the last kang.
Most of our implemented features requires not just 20 lines of smali code..and theres no way that each of that lines look 1:1 the same if you implement that idea yourself.
I know, iff you are not a programmer its difficult understand, but I know from what I'm talking and its no **** (-:

DutchDanny

Feb 12, 2009
On Earth
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Well, let me explain something about programming/smali:

If you got an idea, you can implement it in 99% in several different ways...if you cant it just shows that you are not able/have the knowledge to write it yourself. And when you dont have it, you cant help youself out by just kanging it.

Take a look at romansbb code and mine...most of them is implemented by me in another way..the smali doesnt look similar in any way.

Indeed there are some minor things in smali that cant be really implemented different. Let me give you an example:

enabling landscape mode in rosie:

the feature is already given by htc and just deacivated ba a build flag.
you can bypass that buildflag by simply hardcode it by returning
const/4 vNumber, 0x1 before the return statment.

If you want to toggle it you have to write a bit more code..but still theres not much space left to write it much different...but there would be still space to to it.
Theres really no point to claim such simple code by a dev..and I dont do it.

But when m0narx or I implement stuff like hiding icons in rosie, choosing a background color/transparency or a backgroundimage for appdrawer/notification pulldown or adding longpres actions to some capacitive keys + remapping on the fly there are hundreds of possibilties to implement it in another way...and this didnt happen in the last kang.
Most of our implemented features requires not just 20 lines of smali code..and theres no way that each of that lines look 1:1 the same if you implement that idea yourself.
I know, iff you are not a programmer its difficult understand, but I know from what I'm talking and its no **** (-:

But why is it so hard to share.
Most devs don't mind giving credits.

My point of this thread is about sharing, and I still wonder why?

If you could/would like to answer that...
And give me/us the enlightenment on your thoughts.

Tnx

Send via my BinDroid XTC One X

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
@j4n87

But at the end of the day developers are developers and they own the kangers. Users can tell the difference between the 2, if not they are n00bs and u'll much happy if they don't use ur rom.
I just feel Developing, Sharing, and Mutual Respect goes a long way. It's for the greater good.

Edit: btw DutchDanny i'm out of thanks.

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix

Tnx

Danny the thing is mate if you created something awesome and it took you days to create even weeks, would you be happy to share with others? would you not want your rom to stand out more by having that app for yourself instead of sharing? cause if you share then most roms would end up being mostly the same. and this is not to offend any devs but the only roms that do stand out from the rest is cm9 which is build from scratch. yes you have different themes over most roms and that way some stand out from the rest. but deep down under all the skins you still have the same thing as the rest. were Jan took it that extra step ahead.

Jan has created something special for his rom. I can only understand the logic behind the reasons he does not want to share.

But maybe as a way round this if he was to share his work then why not add in the tweaks app that the donate button should go to Jan and his team. So that way not only he gets credit for the work but people can donate for the awesome work and maybe with donations and support the tweaks app could get better and bigger that is just another thought and way round it

it goes both ways though...i think what people forgetting is the word respect. that is what everything comes down to

Last edited:

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
@j4n87 - Let me start by saying that even if some here people may dislike you as a person, EVERYONE who knows about them respects your tweaks. I agree that LeeDroid Tweaks was a pretty big deal. You gave permission to other devs to use it, and now, almost all the ROMs for the supported devices use them. You probably didn't want the PKMN tweaks to become so ubiquitous, so you don't give permission to others to use them. You want the people who use them to know that your team made them, and spend a lot of time on it.

The thing you don't take into consideration is that themed ROMs like CoreDroid have a completely different user-base. There is a very small chance that people who like such ROMs would ever use stock-themed ROMs, like yours, because they just hate the green colouring scheme by HTC. Now, this is not a small change in the ROM, such stuff requires a LOT of PNG edits, and probably takes as much time to implement as it took for you to make your tweaks. Why, then would you not permit them to use your tweaks, when it would just increase the number of people with access to them? And what about devices that you don't (and probably don't plan to) support? Why should they not get to use your tweaks?

Think of it this way - you already have a credits tab in your tweaks app, allow other people to use it without messing with that tab, as long as they are doing something considerably different (support another device, theme the ROM etc.). Also, you can use whatever extra they may add to that, which would basically lead to the expansion of your work in general.

Again, no one can force you to do something/share your work, this was just a hypothetical example. I hope you understand :eek:

PS - It's really nice to see people from both sides here :)

Reactions: k2trill
J

j4n87

Tnx

I started to create my own rom, because I was bored of the roms floating around the hox forums...none of em got something superior than others..maybe just a few other colors/other scripts, but basically it was a stock rom and a few leedroid tweaks powered.

...and well if I would share my stuff this will gonna happen again.
As already said, you represent your rom with the skill/sknowledge you can put into it. If you just take stuff of others and got a 98/100 copy of another rom, where stays the personality of the rom your created?
You also dont see cars on the street that contains the same motors/interior just with another design/color.
Mercdes/audi or whatever car creator id proud of their developments and the differences they got to others..this should be apply for your rom to.
I couldnt be proud of a rom which is zip modded by copy pasting suff some things together.

Another problem is also, that when you include such stuff, by copy pasting in, you ar not able to fix things if something got a bug, because you maybe dont know even where to look and to fix it your are even less able.
So you got a buggy rom and have to wait for the original dev to fix it...I personally couldnt live with that dependency...

But well, as already said, with my permission you can use my old leedroid tweaks.
My tweaks for my current rom I take for us to keep my rom individual.
I also spent o much time in it with my m8s and dont see the reason why I shall give it do devs that can include it within an hour where I spent nearly a year on it get this baby that far enhanced how it is now.
And well you say sharing is caring...the thing is, I just shared things the last year, my tweak app is included into several roms on several devices...but never someone shared something with me? =D.
Well, badnewz did on sensation, thats why he got a light version of our tweaks, as well as shiz (ordroid) on sesantion. Also football gave us permission to use his base and I gave him in return the pemrission to use some of my work as well...it those cases I'm willing to share of course.

DutchDanny

Feb 12, 2009
On Earth
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Danny the thing is mate if you created something awesome and it took you days to create even weeks, would you be happy to share with others? would you not want your rom to stand out more by having that app for yourself instead of sharing? cause if you share then most roms would end up being mostly the same. and this is not to offend any devs but the only roms that do stand out from the rest is cm9 which is build from scratch. yes you have different themes over most roms and that way some stand out from the rest. but deep down under all the skins you still have the same thing as the rest. were Jan took it that extra step ahead.

Jan has created something special for his rom. I can only understand the logic behind the reasons he does not want to share.

But maybe as a way round this if he was to share his work then why not add in the tweaks app that the donate button should go to Jan and his team. So that way not only he gets credit for the work but people can donate for the awesome work and maybe with donations and support the tweaks app could get better and bigger that is just another thought and way round it

it goes both ways though...i think what people forgetting is the word respect. that is what everything comes down to

I took me months to create my skin in my current rom.
If people want to put it in their rom... Sure do

And Jan created tweaks before he had a rom. And he was sharing with some devs. I came to One X forum 2 weeks later, and asked Jan, he told me I was to late... :confused:

I respect everybody's work, as most do mine.

I am just disappointed on how things are these days on xda.

And like my OP, this was not directed to anybody.
I just wanted a discussion like the thread title says.

Goku80

Mar 18, 2012
Within the Matrix
I took me months to create my skin in my current rom.
If people want to put it in their rom... Sure do

And Jan created tweaks before he had a rom. And he was sharing with some devs. I came to One X forum 2 weeks later, and asked Jan, he told me I was to late... :confused:

I respect everybody's work, as most do mine.

I am just disappointed on how things are these days on xda.

And like my OP, this was not directed to anybody.
I just wanted a discussion like the thread title says.

apologies my post came out wrong. i know each devs respect one an other and my god you guys are amazing and i have been following your work for my previous handset as well my friend. apologies if you thought my post was rude.

what i am trying to say is if someone does not want to share then people should respect his decision. that is what i wanted to say.

i know we are xda and it is about sharing. but we have to agree though if someone puts hard work into something and they want it to stand out from the rest then we have to respect dev x decision if he does not want to share.

and sharing is what makes the rom development more special for members like me cause we get to try the different variety of work that you awesome guys do for us and that way the users are spoiled for choice and that only not enhances the reputation of the developers but you guys make the phones for us even better

Last edited:

mwr666

Dec 6, 2008
Im here cause the comunity (YOU) deverve choices. Or we all add same exact phone, software even figthing for the same women :) i do like the choises :)

i don't really understand what choice you r talking about? u mean the choice of name? cause changed name is only cosmetics and not really a choice... it's like honda in Europe and acura in US....

I have respect to the dev that is sharing with all... and have respect to dev that is sharing with users only... cause they all share at some point... users always have what they want

i've read all posts from this thread and got an conclusion:

sharing with devs is the devs choice... and if we take that we will have nothing... some of the devs want to share and they do... some dont want... but if they were forced to share they would prefer not releasing any of their work.

If you understand what i'm saying u can see my point. The system isn't perfect but it works

RayHeath

Feb 11, 2009
Weiden, Germany
www.heath-agentur.de
Well i did get a answer to that. " I developer time is very expensive i will make the quick settings toggles donate me One dollar every time its used"

I few screens proving that conversation should clarefy things.
Not mentioning that was also said " No one can make a tweaks app like me on XDA" or "Mode Smali files like me on XDA".

Saying such things looks like we all NOOBS at XDA and only this guys is a real Dev around here.
Does it make you fell good...guess not

Well i proven him wrong once and what i got was punishment from some Moderators at XDA. After so long sharing and people using my stuff when you get something like this just makes you fell sad, Its ALL about Making MONEY this days.

Thinking taking my title makes me fell bad ...
Thinking anything people say makes me fell bad...
Thinking about all whats been going on around here on the last 2 years makes me fell bad...
Well i dont really care.

What i do CARE is make sure what ever i do i make people happy with what i do and share all else for me is rubish.
Im not here to be the ONE or the BEST.
Im here cause the comunity (YOU) deverve choices. Or we all add same exact phone, software even figthing for the same women :) i do like the choises :)

I am really disappointed. I´ve been with XDA for quite awhile. These accusations from Jan, in my opinion, are unfounded.

XDA has always stood, for me, as a community to share and learn. Through the contribution from all the DEVs, we have an improved HD2, Sensation, OneX, and of course all the other manufacturors out there. For me, there is no such thing as "kanging", stealing on XDA, at least with Android. Of course the credit should be given to where it´s due, but because of good ideas from one, it´s made even better by another. As said earlier, who wants to take the credit for the creation of the circular battery? Come on guys, this is XDA! If you don´t want your work shared, then you should use another community in my humble opinion.

Thanks Russ! I think you hit the nail right on the head... Great post!

I have known Sergio for a very long time, I have also been on his team for quite a while. Here has never stolen anything from anyone! I remember when some were trying to use his icons without asking him... He didn´t ask them to be banned, he just wanted them to ask. Sergio has been contributing for XDA for more years, than most here. He has never asked for a penny. I know of other DEVs that use his ideas in there own ROMS. He doesn´t mind, they always get his permission and of course he´s always willing to extend a helping hand to anyone that asks. I can´t believe that the MODs would even consider closing a thread or taking a title without first talking to both parties involved.

This is one sad day for Android development, one sad day for XDA! :eek: :mad: :confused:

@Sergio, keep your head up bro! We have your back! :)

Reactions: ljjehl

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
I started to create my own rom, because I was bored of the roms floating around the hox forums...none of em got something superior than others..maybe just a few other colors/other scripts, but basically it was a stock rom and a few leedroid tweaks powered.

...and well if I would share my stuff this will gonna happen again.
As already said, you represent your rom with the skill/sknowledge you can put into it. If you just take stuff of others and got a 98/100 copy of another rom, where stays the personality of the rom your created?
You also dont see cars on the street that contains the same motors/interior just with another design/color.
Mercdes/audi or whatever car creator id proud of their developments and the differences they got to others..this should be apply for your rom to.
I couldnt be proud of a rom which is zip modded by copy pasting suff some things together.

The solution is simple "Original Android Development" i hope the mods put the pedal to the metal and implement it everywhere. That will let the kangers/themers know where they stand.

In all honesty i feel it's just the age factor and ego coming in the way of sharing. I know a guy who does the most awesome stuff and also writes in-depth excellent guides explaining how he did it. I'm not talking about easy theming..i'm talking about deep down kernel level and possible bricking. Respect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Community Engagement on xda developers

Where has the spirit gone of developers, making something better for all.
    We like to make our devices better then what "stock" brings us.

But some people seem to forget what we are doing here: Create & Share

Why do people think that the "Open Source" software we are modifying or hacking is theirs to claim or Copyright.
    Why are we not sharing and making better what others create...
    Has the spirit here really gone?

And do we just want FAME ! !

If I was to create an app and hack Android, HTC or Samsung software by re-writing and adding code to it.
    If this took me hours to do, this is still "Open Source" and people can copy my code in to their work.
    The devs here are all working in a "Grey" area, and it's really hard not to see your work else where.
    Consider it as a compliment if it is that way.

It took Google, HTC & Samsung hours to create what they made, do we care, and not touch it...
    I don't think so ! !

HTC encrypts the Sense software because they don't want people to modify it... Do we care?
    I don't think so...

So why do people/devs here on xda think that they can claim it for themselves?
    Why do other devs get banned, or threads get closed if something similar is published?

We all Kang from Google, HTC & Samsung, but if we use some code from our fellow devs on xda, are we doing something wrong?
    I don't get this!

I would really like this to be an open discussion, and try to clear this up for all of us.
    My intention is not to start a fight, so please reply in a civilized way.
    This also not directed to anybody in person
    I hope the XDA staff can put themselves in my/our position, and try to understand it from this point of view.

My thoughts 1 day later @ post 141

After a full day on this thread, I got more response then what I expected.

Thank you all for your participation.
    You took the time to read this and give your opinion.

You all made me grow in my opinion, and maybe even change it a bit :p ;)

What did it bring me:

Sharing now is for me: Collectively Developing (tnx Hacre)
    I have no problems in being wrong, and might not have picked the correct words in some parts.
    HIS POST

Good explanation on how the staff thinks
    Thanks to my friend Russ for his well spoken words
    HIS POST - HIS POST

What is reasonable and what not.
    Tnx Ben, my fellow team member got me thinking as well
    HIS POST - HIS POST

What am I gonna do now
    beside building a rom and a kernel....
    Gonna dig even more in the smali code (tnx af974)
    HIS POST - HIS POST

For me this discussion is finished... Tnx ALL I'm gonna move on...

If the staff thinks the same, lock it for reference.

Cheers
    The ETHOS of XDA-Developers

Back when I was a Senior Moderator, I was asked to put into words what the mythical Ethos of XDA-Developers was. This was then debated by the moderators, Administrators and owners, it was never formally adopted but it was accepted by most as the closest anyone had come to defining what XDA is (was).

Ethos: an English word based on a Greek word and denotes the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterize a community, a nation or an ideology.

XDA-Developers was founded on the simple principal that SHARING IS GOOD and when many people SHARE what they know, EVERYONE benefits. We exist upon this Ethos, we respect each other, we SHARE with each other, we do not judge one another and we HELP all who ask. We believe that while some may have more knowledge than another, none are more important.

It pains me greatly to see how XDA has degraded over the years to become a playground of egos and pissing contests between little boys who think they own what they stole from someone else.

I have been a strong supporter of XDA for many, many years but, I find my desire to support XDA is waning as the climate of sharing and camaraderie shift toward a climate of ownership and entitlement.
    analogies and other drivel...

First off please excuse me a moment while I say; "Hi" to my two old mates, Fallen Spartan and EGZThunder1, haven't spoken to you guys in a while. Hope you are all well over in the Mod Threads. And thanks for banning that guy; if I still had my hammer I would have been a bit quicker on the drop.

Okay to business;

1. Just what is this word: 'Kang'? As I recall XDA users are to post in ENGLISH and not in some made up language. Shall we translate Kang to...Stole? as in stolen?

2. I have known and worked with Sergio for several years, in fact I was there when HE asked the mods to assist him when someone blatantly used all his hand drawn icons in a custom ROM without permission or credit. All Sergio asked for was credit and that anyone who wanted to use his work to ask first. I will stand up an vouch for the honor and integrity of Sergio. And as an aside, Mod Committee; you guys all know that Sergio and I are friends. Would it have been a really bad idea to PM me for a character reference?

3. I like to put things in to really simple terms and use a lot of analogies when I speak, so if you would indulge me;

I see this issue (the bigger issue not the Sergio one) like this.

A. My neighbor has a very nice table saw. I need to build a tree house for my kids. I approach John and ask him if I may borrow his table saw. "Sure." John says. I take the saw home and commence building a tree house. I realize I need a different blade so off to the shoppes I go and get a nice DADO blade. I return to working on my project and my other neighbor Rich stops by and says; "Wow, Russ that is a really nice table saw!". I reply, "Yes it is, I borrowed it from John and put this really cool DADO blade on it". When I am finished with the tree house I return the saw to John and tell him I added the DADO blade which he is free to use. When Rich stops by to see the tree house I tell him; "I couldn't have built it without John's fancy table saw".

B. My neighbor has a very nice table saw. I need to build a tree house for my kids. My neighbor goes to the bar (pub) and leaves his garage door open. I run in and take the saw. Then I go to the shoppes and get a fancy DADO blade and commence to build my tree house. John comes home and realizes the saw is missing but hears a saw next door. He comes over and accuses me of stealing his. "No John this is not your saw, see it has this DADO blade that your's doesn't have therefore it can't possibly be yours". John calls the police, who ask John to prove it is his. John points out the scratches on the legs from all the years of use, and the broken wheel on the leg where he dropped it last year. I point out that I have had this saw in the basement for many years and just now got it out to build this tree house. I also dropped mine and broke the wheel but I did that today. The police decide that John is telling the truth so they give the saw to him and give me a court date for stealing.

C. My neighbor has a very nice table saw. I need to build a tree house for my kids. I go down to the shoppes and buy the same saw my neighbor has and a DADO blade. I commence to build my tree house, later John storms into my yard accusing me of stealing his table saw because he just came home from the bar (pub) and heard/saw a saw like his in my yard. He is adamant that this is his saw, I point out that this saw is brand new, has a DADO blade, has no scratches marks or broken wheels and the box is right over there in the rubbish bin. John calls the police who arrive and say that perhaps John should look in his garage before accusing his neighbors. John looks in his garage and finds his own saw right where he left it.

Moral:

A. This is the XDA definition of Sharing. Ask, give credit and if you change it let the originator use it.
    B. This is theft (Kang?) no one was asked and the thief tried to cover up the event.
    C. This is an embarrassment. Just because mine is just like yours does not mean I stole it from you. Or put another way 1+1=2 if there is only one way to solve a problem everyone will arrive at the same conclusion in the same way.

Summary:
    Do I support the 'everything is free, take what you want' model? No of course not, that's not sharing that's theft. I support RESPECT, camaraderie and sharing. I also have a really soft spot for common sense and logic. If I spell the same words the same way you do does that mean I Kanged them from you?

You CANNOT own a MOD! You CAN own original art work, themes, etc. But if you are simply changing a setting in a config file or a some other setting (I am not a Dev can you tell?) that is no different than letting my 7y/o loose on one of my Visio files. The Devs muck about and find different settings, adjustments etc that may or may not be 'better', keeping in mind that better is a RELATIVE term. Better for you may not be better for me. If I let Charlie (the 7y/o) loose with one of my 200 hour Visio drawings, he would muck about and turn a data center drawing into Lightening McQueen. He would then say; "look Pop I made it better". I would scramble for a back up copy.

Ok, I have ranted more tonight than I have in a year or more, the final point is pretty simple.

Sharing and Stealing are very different beasts. Common sense should be rule 1 in moderating. Before passing judgement on someone, look at the whole picture, how long as this person been here, what has he/she contributed? Is this the first time someone has reported a post?

I truly miss the old XDA, when you could ask a question and not get 30 people telling you to F*** off and "you're a n00b". My first ROM came from Faria on my Wizard while on a business trip. I loved my new Windows 5.0 phone but it was slow and I knew somewhere someone had found a way to make it better. I posted endlessly it seemed asking, learning, helping. I had a run in with the mod squad a few years later, so I decided that the best way to fix what I saw as a problem was to become a moderator and I did. I was asked to write the rules of XDA, the marketplace and finally the Ethos. I loved what I was doing, I felt like every hour I spent here was helping someone to make their device better, like Faria did for me all those years ago. Unfortunately, my 'real life' got in the way and I had to retire my Modship. Now, I seldom post, I still flash a ROM now and then or beta test some code. But mostly I watch my beloved XDA degrade into a sewer pit of verbal abuse, children with no home training, and entitled teens who think they OWN everything they see. (remember the guy that got banned on this thread?)

That's my bit, thanks for reading.

Russ
    Jotha, I agree with your solution but think my point was missed.

With your example I am not stating that we couldn't do it at all just that we should not simply take. I understand that sometimes doing something may result in you using the exact same method but if you are able to develop and have been recognised as such, then you should. Quite often though, there are many ways to do things and sometimes other methods are better.

I do also agree that by submitting something on this site you are letting it be shared however, I do not think this should mean any old person taking and claiming it. We talk of a community but behaviour like that is far from what should be seen in a community (& I would like to add here that doesn't mean I show any alliance to some behaviour shown in any retaliations).

& Danny, you know I am more than thankful for your knowledge and would be very much still stuck at being scared to post on XDA for fear of sounding like a n00b. You made that choice and it is in your personality to be open and welcoming; much like BinDroid as a team (I can only comment on BD). However, if you had spent countless hours/weeks/days doing something I wouldn't just take I would ask and if you said no I would then enquire as to why and if you would be able to help direct me. That way I learn and maybe discover ways to improve (or not ;)) I would also be mighty annoyed for you if someone had done the same. I know how much time and effort you put into your builds and I am quite sure should someone just take and rip yours off as theirs you would be a little pee'd. (I am allowed though ;))

As jotha has said RD/RT's should work together and publish get our stuff amazing. If you want to learn and don't have the ability then you should have to ask. If it's a no then you've got to learn but that way you will be able to get those lovely titles yourself. Communicate.

Well i did get a answer to that. " I developer time is very expensive i will make the quick settings toggles donate me One dollar every time its used"

I few screens proving that conversation should clarefy things.
    Not mentioning that was also said " No one can make a tweaks app like me on XDA" or "Mode Smali files like me on XDA".

Saying such things looks like we all NOOBS at XDA and only this guys is a real Dev around here.
    Does it make you fell good...guess not

Well i proven him wrong once and what i got was punishment from some Moderators at XDA. After so long sharing and people using my stuff when you get something like this just makes you fell sad, Its ALL about Making MONEY this days.

Thinking taking my title makes me fell bad ...
    Thinking anything people say makes me fell bad...
    Thinking about all whats been going on around here on the last 2 years makes me fell bad...
    Well i dont really care.

What i do CARE is make sure what ever i do i make people happy with what i do and share all else for me is rubish.
    Im not here to be the ONE or the BEST.
    agreed so many phones left behind due to ego and epeen ppl always bailing on phones just because its not popular it takes work to get publicity ...

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk

Not sure we are talking about the same thing here my friend, its a much more important subject, sharing, the main reason XDA exists (or so I thought)

btw, thanked u when i was trying to quote ya, oh well, Ill share some love ;)

There is really no better way to say it as both Danny and Russ summarized it very well. We are all here for one reason and one reason only, to SHARE. Isnt this what the "community" is about? I just hope the admins take a moment and reevaluate some of the people with powers around.
    Ah before I forget, if you are gonna patent your "ideas" I really think its time for you to get a hold of apple, you already qualified with this mentality and in MY opinion, you do NOT belong here.
    OK done venting... Thank u for listening.