HTC Incredible 4G LTE to have unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

jspidey

Jun 25, 2010
That certainly can answer a lot of questions. And raises a few. What kind of release was this? When did it become available?

Not sure what you mean by "kind of release", but it's from the phone that was shown here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1741140

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Since the screen shots now provide info on the phone being an MSM8960, does this mean that this particular chipset has GSM capabilities alongside CDMA and LTE granting possible world phone status?

I'm not to familiar with the phone. What could be looked at to find that out (if anything)?

nitsuj17

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Since the screen shots now provide info on the phone being an MSM8960, does this mean that this particular chipset has GSM capabilities alongside CDMA and LTE granting possible world phone status?

all lte phones have gsm capability...whether or not verizon enables it by default in the rom? thats another story (theyre supposed to for the rezound/razr at some point)

but even if they dont its possible with a few steps (i dont knwo what they are, but in the rezound forums they had discussions about it) to enable it

Reactions: blaqbird

cvo515

Dec 8, 2010
I hope they, whoever that is, find a way to get a fully functioning cm9 rom out for this. I wont hold my breath, if the rezound and others dont have it yet

Sent using Tapatalk

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Florida
all lte phones have gsm capability...whether or not verizon enables it by default in the rom? thats another story (theyre supposed to for the rezound/razr at some point)

but even if they dont its possible with a few steps (i dont knwo what they are, but in the rezound forums they had discussions about it) to enable it

Hmm alright. Hopefully VZW does enable with their stock rom. If not then it's good to know that there are other's in the Rezound forums discussing it. It gives some hope on a possible way to enable it ourselves in the event Verizon doesn't.

NOsquid

Sep 20, 2010
Verizon tech support told me today it would be gsm capable/world phone on release day, for whatever that's worth.

marky2mark

Feb 25, 2012
Verizon tech support told me today it would be gsm capable/world phone on release day, for whatever that's worth.

So...dumb question....I'm going over to Europe next month....if the phone is gsm capable, what do I have to do to use it over there? Do I need a different SIM card? And do I have to notify Verizon to add international service to my plan for the month?

NOsquid

Sep 20, 2010
Yeah, the easiest way is to do it via Verizon. The phone should come with a Verizon SIM. You keep your same phone number, your friends in the USA can call/text you as if you were still here. The rates are pretty exorbitant but it's convenient for most people.

The rates for minutes/data are generally much cheaper if you go buy a prepaid SIM from a local cellular provider in Europe after you get off the plane. You will get a local phone number, which makes it a little harder/more expensive for the USA to reach you eg Skype, but much easier for your new European friends to contact you.

So it depends on how you're going to use it.

marky2mark

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah, the easiest way is to do it via Verizon. The phone should come with a Verizon SIM. You keep your same phone number, your friends in the USA can call/text you as if you were still here. The rates are pretty exorbitant but it's convenient for most people.

The rates for minutes/data are generally much cheaper if you go buy a prepaid SIM from a local cellular provider in Europe after you get off the plane. You will get a local phone number, which makes it a little harder/more expensive for the USA to reach you eg Skype, but much easier for your new European friends to contact you.

So it depends on how you're going to use it.

Thanks. Yeah I would like to keep the same number. So when you say exorbitant, any idea how much? Is it a flat charge for the month or you pay by how much voice/data you use?

marky2mark

Feb 25, 2012

According to the VZW website, the DINC 4G is NOT global ready. Bummer.

mixm5

Apr 29, 2011
So...dumb question....I'm going over to Europe next month....if the phone is gsm capable, what do I have to do to use it over there? Do I need a different SIM card? And do I have to notify Verizon to add international service to my plan for the month?

looks like you'll have to wait for the update.

phonearena.com/news/The-HTC-DROID-Incredible-4G-LTE-will-eventually-get-Global-Roaming-support_id31999

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Seems to work on HTC Hero, a bit laggy but could not find the framerate. Also i had trouble compiling the example myself, everything seems to compile ok, but dies with a SEGV when deployed.. Also the trunk seems to be for 1.6 and above, but the Quake 3 demo worlds on my Hero (1.5), is this demos released?

lol, Dude, I think you missed your thread by about a mile that way ------------>
    I posted this in the Inc2 forum before I realized there was a Inc4G forum. . .

Well, I'm sold. Those are the two magic words I needed to hear. Can't wait for that bad boy.

http://androidheadlines.com/2012/05/featured-verizon-wireless-turns-down-htcs-one-series-in-favor-of-droid-incredible-4g-lte.html

Even though the incredible 4G seems to have a few things that it lacks compared to the One X, it does have an unlocked bootloader which the One X does not. It seems that there was quite following of fans that wouldn’t have it any other way. This small group of android nerds is extremely passionate about the capability to tweak and change their devices. For those of you that are unfamiliar with what an unlocked bootloader does, it allows you somewhat endless possibilities to customize the firmware (or OS) on your device. Which can enhance its user experience, looks, features and the like. This move by HTC to keep the bootloader unlocked is because HTC says they fully support the ability to keep things open and customizable.

HTC is fully committed to the bootloader unlocking program and that Verizon is also completely behind it. Ultimately leading to its choice to make the incredible 4G LTE with this feature. While Verizon is behind the idea now. They could of course change their mind at any time.
    How do you know??? Are you a tester of the phone? Do you know anything else, such as when the phone will come out?

Can't say how I know but I would be VERY amazed if it doesn't release like that

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA
    I'm still trying to decide this or rezound ? I really like the rezound screen and speed . Which should I get?

Sent from my ADR6300 using xda premium

Rezound has a better screen and is .3" larger. The Inc4G has a nice screen too it's just not as good as the Rezound. The Inc4G is faster though. It has a S4 processor and will perform much better than the Rezound.
    Rezound has a better screen and is .3" larger. The Inc4G has a nice screen too it's just not as good as the Rezound. The Inc4G is faster though. It has a S4 processor and will perform much better than the Rezound.

It (the Inc 4G) is also thinner and lighter, will have much better battery life, will have a better camera (HW & SW combined), and has NFC and Bluetooth 4.0.

The display is pretty much the only reason to get a Rezound at this point. For some people, the 4" may just be a little too small. Some people might just want that nice high-ppi that the Rezound has. Otherwise, the Inc 4G is a better pick.

Getting back to Alton, he said he really likes the Rezound's screen, so maybe that's the best choice for him. Although, it may be important to ask what is the part of the Rezound's screen that he "really likes." If it's the size, then that pretty much is what it is. If 4" is just too small, then go with the Rezound. But if it's the screen quality that is what's drawing you to the Rezound, I'd probably hold off for now... wait for the Inc 4G to be released and see what you think of the display. It'd be a shame to compromise on pretty much every other aspect of the phone just to get the nice screen, and then find out when the Inc 4G is released that you can't really tell a difference (or at least enough of a difference to warrant the compromise). Just my opinion.