monoprice.com

Search This thread

Fresh50

I bought a 3 micro usb cables, a wall charger, and a car charger for cheap from monoprice.com

3529 WALL Power to USB Female CHARGER Converter - Black (500mah) 1 $1.67
3523 Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black 1 $1.16
4868 USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/28AWG Cable - 6ft 3 $3.66
Subtotal : $6.49
Shipping & Handling Cost : $2.92
GRAND TOTAL : $9.41:eek:

They are all in hand and work perfect for power and data!

Ssantos6981

Oct 17, 2006
Yonkers
I bought a 3 micro usb cables, a wall charger, and a car charger for cheap from monoprice.com

Damn, those are some nice looking prices.

slimm13

Aug 17, 2009
Monoprice is outstanding for many items. Look at the HDMI cables and wall mounts for TV's. All very good quality. Been using them for years.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando

3529 charges at 500mAh, this is close to the charging rate from a USB port (480mAh), so it will charge....but slowly. $1.16

3523 charges at 1000mAH, thats almost the same as the provided wall adapter (980mAh). $1.28

Shop4Tech has a car charget for $2.95 shipped but dont mention the charging current. I'll post back when they reply to my email.

Slimgym20

Feb 1, 2009
3529 charges at 500mAh, this is close to the charging rate from a USB port (480mAh), so it will charge....but slowly. $1.16

3523 charges at 1000mAH, thats almost the same as the provided wall adapter (980mAh). $1.28

Shop4Tech has a car charget for $2.95 shipped but dont mention the charging current. I'll post back when they reply to my email.

With it being only 20mAH over, could that hurt the battery at all?

xManMythLegend

Dec 1, 2008
NYC
Bought 2 micro USB cables , and a Micro HDMI cable for varying items.

Total cost with shipping from best buy was close to 65$.
Radio shack 54$

Monoprice with shipping.

Why on planet earth would anyone look elsewhere.

TaFFeR

Oct 3, 2006
With it being only 20mAH over, could that hurt the battery at all?

It shouldn't. The quoted current rating (it should actually be mA, not mAH, which is a unit of electric charge or battery capacity) is the max amount of current it's able to supply. If the device on the other end doesn't draw more than that, which our N1s shouldn't, then it's fine. If the N1s WERE to draw more current, the power supply would probably break before the phone.

There's nothing wrong with having a more capacious power supply, and in this case, the car charger would charge our phones faster than the wall charger the OP bought.

Jackasaur

Oct 7, 2009
Rainy NW
I love monoprice.com The micro USB cables I bought from there look very high quality, very thick, and even has ferrite cores.

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
Monoprice is my favorite store to buy anything cables. Also the fact that they have thier warehouse 30 mins away from me, means i can pick things up same day. But all it not perfect, thier 3.5mm male to male cables are terrible. At least they have been since the last time i bought 4...

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Thanks for making this post... I just picked up two 3ft micro usb cables, car charger, wall charger, S video cable, and 3.5mm to RCA cable... including shipping it came out to under $15!

flarbear

Nov 30, 2009
A note about chargers and mAh ratings. My source is the Battery University:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

They recommend for small batteries like cell phone batteries to charge them at less than "1C" (for the Nexus One that would be less than 1.4Amps or 1400mAmps) so these chargers should all be fine.

They mention that charging at higher currents can cause the battery to get hotter. Heat shortens the eventual lifespan of a Lithium Ion battery so "bigger" is not necessarily "better" in terms of chargers. A lighter charge can be gentler on the battery than a beefy charger.

They also mention that higher currents do not shorten the charge cycle by much. At higher currents the battery electronics typically kick the charge cycle into the "topping charge" state earlier and since the topping charge is very slow, it takes longer to get to 100% charge. A lighter charger may take longer to reach the end of the initial regular charge cycle, but it will turn over into the topping charge state much closer to full. Thus, a stronger charger will get you to the topping charge state (i.e. mostly full) quicker, but take almost the same amount of time to get to the really 100% full state.

I typically use a Blackberry charger on my phones - they tend to charge at lower amperage and so induce less heat. I also charge them overnight so even if the charge was slower it wouldn't really matter because 6-8 hours is plenty for any charger to get these phones to 100%, but likely the lighter charging isn't really taking much longer anyway. If I desperately needed to get my phone charged up very quickly during the day then I would definitely use the stock charger or a charger that was stronger, but still under the 1.4Amp maximum recommended current - but if you charge overnight, try using a lower amperage charger for long term battery health...

lessthanjoey

Mar 21, 2008
Charge rate is controlled within the phone. A 1400mA wall charger is capable of supplying *up to* 1400mA. There's no danger with using a higher rated wall charger.

A note about chargers and mAh ratings. My source is the Battery University:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

They recommend for small batteries like cell phone batteries to charge them at less than "1C" (for the Nexus One that would be less than 1.4Amps or 1400mAmps) so these chargers should all be fine.

They mention that charging at higher currents can cause the battery to get hotter. Heat shortens the eventual lifespan of a Lithium Ion battery so "bigger" is not necessarily "better" in terms of chargers. A lighter charge can be gentler on the battery than a beefy charger.

They also mention that higher currents do not shorten the charge cycle by much. At higher currents the battery electronics typically kick the charge cycle into the "topping charge" state earlier and since the topping charge is very slow, it takes longer to get to 100% charge. A lighter charger may take longer to reach the end of the initial regular charge cycle, but it will turn over into the topping charge state much closer to full. Thus, a stronger charger will get you to the topping charge state (i.e. mostly full) quicker, but take almost the same amount of time to get to the really 100% full state.

I typically use a Blackberry charger on my phones - they tend to charge at lower amperage and so induce less heat. I also charge them overnight so even if the charge was slower it wouldn't really matter because 6-8 hours is plenty for any charger to get these phones to 100%, but likely the lighter charging isn't really taking much longer anyway. If I desperately needed to get my phone charged up very quickly during the day then I would definitely use the stock charger or a charger that was stronger, but still under the 1.4Amp maximum recommended current - but if you charge overnight, try using a lower amperage charger for long term battery health...

flarbear

Nov 30, 2009
Charge rate is controlled within the phone. A 1400mA wall charger is capable of supplying *up to* 1400mA. There's no danger with using a higher rated wall charger.

True, but this is neither here nor there with respect to the points in my post.

First, the chargers that people are finding in this thread are lower power than that anyway so they can't provide enough to hurt the battery - whether or not the phone has the protections you mention. Perhaps the phone does protect itself, but the question does not matter unless you are talking about chargers that supply more than 1400mA which they are not.

My other point was that a lower power charger can charge the phone with less overall heat and extend the battery life. The phone will protect itself from damage, but charging close to 1C - while safe - doesn't help the battery last the longest it can.